Start by marking “Lie to Me” as Want to Read:
Lie to Me

Lie to Me

(Summer Island Series #1)

This is an Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN B0099A30D6

16 year old Cassie Safire is a very good girl who does some very bad things. Dumped by her boyfriend and betrayed by her best friend, Cassie discovers her mom has a very big secret, and suddenly no amount of niceness can make Cassie’s world right again.

To escape, Cassie takes on a summer job restoring a sailboat with RD
Published January 14th 2014 by Hidden Beach Publications (first published September 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lie to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lie to Me

Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
 photo Untitled_zps0521c119.jpg

Safire has always been known as a “nice” girl. Always helping people and trying to make everyone feel better, she never says “no” and tries to make sure everyone is happy. But when her boyfriend Nick breaks up with her, she’s tired of being treated “nice”. When Cassie finally decides to throw Nick’s ring away, that he got for her as a present, she meets RD, a mysterious 23-year old man who makes her feel strong, beautiful and reckless. While with being with RD forces her to lie to everyone ar
Suzanne Brahm
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lie to Me, is a YA novel based in the Pacific Northwest about a very good girl and the cost of secrets. I hope you enjoy it.
Genea
Oh my gosh, just finished this book and wish I could gab about every last bit of it's juicy pages. This book is about loss, betrayal, trust, of course love etc, etc. I was a sniffling fool while reading the pages of this smart, brave, and heart wrenching coming of age story. Cassie's life became a roller-coaster with a lot of dips and not many hills. Her boyfriend dumped her in a way allowed only by the existence of modern technology. Then she was betrayed by her best friend and then finds out s ...more
JeanBookNerd
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suzanne Brahm’s Lie to Me is perfectly captures the emotions and actions of the average sixteen year-old girl. When Cassie finds herself alone and vulnerable after being dumped by her boyfriend and deceived by her best friend, she tries to deal with the pain of losing the people she cares about and desperately tries to find the strength to move on. The meeting of RD seems to be the support she needs as he comforts and listens to her problems. However, RD is older than Cassie but they continue to ...more
Jen Wylie
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book to review. It was extremely well written, and quite believable. In fact, it reminded me too much of being 16 and my thoughts back then. I found the story itself a bit disturbing. It contains a lot of lies, a 16 yr old having sex with a much older man, deceit and a number of adult topics including sex and health issues with her mother.
I wouldn't recommend for a very young reader. The story/plot was rather twisted and like a train wreck, you couldn't stop reading even though yo
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-na

16 year old Cassie's summer has plain and simply turned to shit.

She has been in love with Nick since she first saw him years ago. He came back from a party wit pink lipgloss that wasn't her on his face.
Then dumped her via text message...

add to that she has to work with him at her Mum's restaurant all the time, being the "good girl" she is she covers for him when he has dates and that he is the worst waiter ever.

then on top of that..

she find out the pink lip gloss belongs to her best friend
♥ Sarah
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
2.5-3 stars

I’m not sure if I could say this book was scandalous, but it was very unsettling. I’m not sure if there was a “point” to the story, but I took it as a cautionary tale. I think RD was a total creeper; he was preying on a vulnerable, not to mention UNDERAGED minor that was completely off-limits (legally, morally, and otherwise). However, I liked that the author chose not to romanticize RD and Cassandra’s relationship. Well, in the beginning she did, but that’s because the story was told
GW
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lie to Me - a story where pretty much everyone tells lies. A good contemporary/YA read. Also, got this free for the kindle - another plus. My expectations for free books start off rather low because I rarely find decent ones. This is a story about a 16 year old. Where do I even begin? This is such a realistic story, and it follows Cassandra's actions as she goes through a bad breakup and discovers RD. But RD tells Cassandra that this relationship can be only a secret. As a 16 year old, Cassandra ...more
Linda
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This story surprised me. It took a path I didn't expect. I liked the storyline very much, the characters were true to life with the drama of teenagers and the desire to be accepted and loved. The main character, Cassandra, gets involved in a situation that has her lying to her family and friends as to her whereabouts and being very secretive. What seems like true love to Cassandra might be more than she is capable of understanding. Can the pain inflicted by others drive her to do things she norm ...more
Tracey
The author did a great job bringing back memories of teenage angst and first love. However this is definitely not your typical HEA teen love story it comes with plenty of heartbreak, betrayal and real life.
Jasmeen
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-2012
It had me, then it confused me and at the end, it just lost me. It was a promising premise, and I will admit to loving the way it started out, but then things got too fast, too quick, and it just didn't come off quite right.
Amy
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This book is a must read for all!!
Meenu
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sol
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book a few days ago and I am finally going to write a review for it!
I was sent the e-book by the author as I have won it in a giveaway!
I started reading it and could not put it down!
I literally devoured it between classes or even while I was attending a class (yeah, not very responsible of my part).
The books follows 16 year old Cassie around. Cassie discovered her mother's deep dark secret on the summer that was supposed to be the best one of her life. Her boyfriend dumped her an
Bizzles1
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very well written book consisting of love, loss, finding strength within yourself, and the emotionally driven choices we make as young adults. Disturbing things took place in the book, and I wouldn't personally recommend it to a young reader, but it is what made the story more realistic. This book reminds me of the poor choices I made as a teen, & about how men will sometimes take advantage of young girls when given the opportunity.
Cassie starts a romantic relationship with R.D.
Paula
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an extraordinary and amazing book. I just couldn't put it down. Started reading it last night and finished this morning. The story was realistic, moving and well-structured. The characters were also very down-to-earth and real. It was very easy to relate. The story just completely captured me and wouldn't let me go. Amazing talent shown by the writer. Can't wait for more of Suzanne Brahm's books.
Kayla Stoffel
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, emotional
From the beginning I couldn't put this book down! Who doesn't know how it feels to have a broken heart and to seek happiness in any way that you can find it? This book shows the extremes we are willing to go to in order to get back to what we feel is a life of happiness, even if it tears us and those around us apart to do so.
Nora
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised with this wonderful teenage love story. At first I thought it was just that, a silly teenage love story. BUT as I kept reading I couldn't put it down. Several twists and turns, keeps you reading and glued to see what happens next. I know Suzanne and can see she has more talent to share with us. Thanks Suzanne.
Jenna
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending of this book made me really sad.
Kilikina
Sep 17, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: september, gimme
Gorgeous cover and interesting description...looking forward to this one.
Amie
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised with this book, it was free so my expectations where not high. It felt realistic and some parts I could related to. Good plot and twists that I never expected.
Trinitie
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book with semi happy/sad ending.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read! One of the best books I have read in a long time. I look forward to more reads from this author!!
Melvina
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for Lie to Me!!! I finished this book in less than a day. I could not put it down!
(won on Goodreads)
Kristin
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! Soo good! And even better it was free! The emotions that Brahm takes you through are incredible. I got sucked in right from the start and couldn't put it down! The storyline is so realistic and relatable that you can't help but put yourself in Cassies position. I wanted to scream run run quickly cause I knew where things were headed. But when your young you just have to learn the hard way sometimes. This book is a perfect example of learning the hard way. Highly recommended this.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review is from: Lie to Me (Summer Island Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
An interesting tale of a young girl named Cassie (she's 16) who falls for a man somewhat older than herself. She had a boyfriend but they have a falling out. Her father died at sea and her mother is tremendously overprotective of her.

She even has a falling out with her best friend. She has pinned her hopes and her dreams on RD, but dreams can, and often do, turn into nightmares.
Kylie
give it a chance

The beginning of this story was slow, kinda dragging on about nothing. Once it got into the guts of the story and everything started taking shape I needed to stick it out, find out the what's and whys of this family. I really liked the ending, it left me with s feeling of hope and completion, and as much as RD made me feel sick with his lies and sly controlling antics, I was saddened by what happened.
Keryn Doyle
Entertaining

This story brought me back to those teenage angst years, enjoyable and relatable read. The second half definitely hooked me, read it in one night.
barbara bogner
Good read

a telling story with minute twists and turns. worthwhile reading, felt as if I was sailing and live on the island.
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ya, reviewed
Beautifully written character piece about the choices we make and consequences we face.

• Unattainable (An Affliction Novel #2)
  • Serenity (Afterlife, #2)
  • The Gangster's Kiss (Love is a Dangerous Thing, #1)
  • Forbidden Quest (Hypnotic Journey, #1)
  • Transcend
  • Morning Star (Equinox #1)
  • Evie's Knight (The Knight Series, #1)
  • The Chocolatier's Wife
  • Archangel of Mercy
  • My Only Exception
  • The Mackenzie Legacy (The Athena Effect #2)
  • The Light Tamer (The Light Tamer, #1)
  • Cain (The Waite Family, #1)
  • Standing in Death's Shadow: More True Stories from a Homicide Detective
  • Dazzle (Delaney's Gift, #1)
  • Blue Moon (Holloway Pack, #2)
  • Mind Games (Vigilante, #3)
  • Torched
Suzanne Brahm lives within running distance of Lake Washington and grew up on a small island just outside of Seattle. Writing has been Suzanne's passion from the moment she put together her first storybook in first grade.

Suzanne lives in Seattle with her extremely hot husband, and their two children, a small boy that is part superhero and a baby daughter who actually likes to nap. Suzanne loves t

Summer Island Series (2 books)
  • Beautiful Wreck (Summer Island Series #2)