Start by marking “Selfie (Bluewater Bay, #13)” as Want to Read:
Selfie (Bluewater Bay, #13)

Selfie

(Bluewater Bay #13)

One year ago, actor Connor Montgomery lost the love of his life to a drunk driver. But what’s worse for Connor is what he still has: a lifetime of secrets born of hiding his relationship from the glare of Hollywood. Unable to let go of the world he and Vinnie shared, Connor films a drunken YouTube confession on the anniversary of Vinnie’s death.

Thankfully, the video was si
Published April 16th 2016 by Riptide Publishing

Julio Genao
Jan 12, 2016 marked it as no
Shelves: bantha-poodoo
nope.

description

just like that. black guy with zero reaction to that language except burbling devotion.

amy lane has lost her goddamned mind—again.

she just gets worse and worse with this bullshit.

there's just no excuse for "dark chocolate monkey of love."

none.

____________

this book's publisher, the excellent Riptide Press, has responded:

____________

for the full story of how this went down, see this:

Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is a story about grief.

And it's a story about healing

It's a story about losing love, and finding it.

Have you ever written in the sand? You think that first wave is going to just eliminate everything, but it doesn’t. No—there’s scar tissue on an ephemeral tablet, little bumps and ridges and reminders that there was something important there, and just because it’s gone now doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.

When Connor Montgomery, action movie star, loses Vinnie, his lover of ten years, in a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*2.5 stars*

I've not had the greatest run with Amy Lane in the past year, with all of my recent reads from her falling in the 3-star range. While I'll still always seek out those Amy Lane gems (Christmas Kitsch, Truth in the Dark, The Locker Room) that have ended up on my favorites list, I'm going to have to be more picky with what I try from her in the future.

This book has lots of love from many reviewers whose opinons I respect, so I think this is just a matter of "it's me, not you." However,
Trace
Mar 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible, ugh-ugh-ugh
I was two, 2.5 Stars for this and then the more I dwell on it, the ANGRIER I get. This book should come with some major warning labels. Spoilers ahead, starting with section Three

First, the good: The first half of the book or so was really good. I liked how Connor was depicted and I liked his transition to Bluewater Bay. I liked his insecurity over if he was actually talented as an actor or just fit a certain type, and I liked how acting was seen through his eyes.

Second, the bad: Noah is a ciph
Aislinn
Apr 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ugh
Seriously, if you're going to include PoC in your books, you need to make at least minimal effort to not produce racist screed. This isn't the first time it's happened, it's been pointed out before, and yet there's no growth or self awareness from this author. Really disappointing.

For more specific reasons why this book is so problematic, see Sarah's review which articulates the issues really well.
Sheri
There are a couple of things about this book you need to know from the beginning.
First, this is one of those FEELING books. It will slowly zap you with small jolts of electrical zings; as if a current runs from the words directly to your heart. It won’t destroy you but you will FEEL it.
Second, this is a lengthy book. Prepare for a time investment because it’s not a quick, easy read. It’s deep, sharp and amazing.
Third, Noah is mine and if anyone has anything less than stellar to say about my b
Wart Hill
I can't. I've barely started and I don't care. The MC is an overdramatic asshole.
Lelyana
*** 5 Amy lane's feels stars ***

*Connor*

*Noah*

You know what kind of book Amy Lane's write, yeah? Either it's funny, fluffy at it's best, or sad, bitter and tear jerking.
Then what if the two of it mingled together? Yeah, I know. This is one of those book, that will ripped your heart, puffy eyes after reading, but also has it's own 'fun' and fluffy times.
But this one, lots of grieving, sadness, the feeling about losing your half. And you know how smooth Amy with this kind of stuff.

Noah, oh bles
Jaime
4 Stars ~ This book is about loss and living
I really enjoyed this book but I want you to know it's a hard book to read, it's a painful book to read ..it is about losing the love of your life, losing your entire world along with them and then finding a way to survive - even when you don't want to keep going. This book is about grief. It's about not only losing your lover but not being able to fully grieve the loss of your lover because, your relationship doesn't exist.

I had a really emotional t
Renée
4.5 stars!

"...it hurts. Everything is something he won't hear or see, and I want to tell it to him, and there's no space in my head for me because it's all about telling Vinnie-"

This book is a subtle punch in the gut. It's not the "angst and pain, Amy Lane" that the author is famous for, but it's not the light Candy Man-type either. It's somewhere in the middle, but it's heartbreakingly beautiful, and I shut down my Kindle as I finished with a loud Sigh.

I think I went through the entire gam
Mónica BQ
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Edit several days later
Many already know what went down after one of the several issues with the book became viralized and after some brand names started in on the topic. Since then, the editor of the book has apologized for their glib original response, Riptide has issued a response and Amy Lane has fucked up even worse.

My initial feeling as a POC was one of skepticism and truthfully I sneered. After a few days of consideration, I continue to feel the same.

Look, Riptide apologising and somewhat
Katrina Passick Lumsden
There's a reason Amy Lane is widely considered one of the greatest m/m romance authors of all time, and this book is a shining example. When Lane is on her game, she makes other competent writers look like children writing essays with crayons and craft paper.

The emotional complexity of the main character is unparalleled, and the dynamics of his relationships, both with lovers and friends, are masterfully wrought. The story is simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting, sweet and sad. It's rare
Diana
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, netgalley-arc
Full review now posted 4/16/16

Once again, Amy Lane does not disappoint. What a beautiful, emotional journey about learning to live again after the loss of a loved one.

Selifie by Amy Lane, is a story of a movie star, Connor Montgomery, learning to live life again after the death of fellow movie star and boyfriend Vinnie Walker. The world knew them as best friends, always together and having fun. But they were much more than that, they were the world to each other. After Vinnie is killed in a car
Kaje Harper
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-reread, m-m
Although this didn't quite make it to the top ranks of my favorite Amy Lane books, (of which there are many) I was touched by the pain Connor went through as he tried to deal with a loss he couldn't openly share. Being in the closet has toxic effects that are much deeper and more pervasive than it might seem. One of the worst, throughout history, has been the way it not only crimps sharing a life together, but forbids a gay person from taking their place at a lover's side, near death, at death a ...more
Christelle
2.5 stars : “it’s not the book, it’s me”

This book is about grieving, healing, coming out, having a second chance. It’s packed with angst and so, so much emotion, and great characters.
So why not more stars : the writing style completely threw me off. I kept reading sentences again and again as if I couldn’t read in English anymore and therefore couldn't connect with the MCs (it kept coming and going, sadly more going than coming) and the lack of Noah’s POV didn’t help.

I felt like I missed somet
Cadiva
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely my favourite one yet in this series. This book deals - most beautifully - with grief and how it can utterly cripple you to the point where you simply cease to be. You can function but you basically stop living.

For Connor that happened when the love of his life, Vinnie, was killed by a drunk driver and their 10 year relationship became a source of constant pain because - as Hollywood actors - they'd spent those 10 years hiding everything about how they were lovers, partners, friends, i
Sunne
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This review is going to be offensive - so in case you are very sensitive, don't read it.

I really liked the book. Amy Lane can write and her characters are funny, quirky, damaged, weak and strong, sbumissive and dominant and....oh, wow, sometimes not even white.

How often does the "not white community" (yes, I use this phrase because silly me just doesn't know which is the right way to adress and include everybody who doesn't indientify as white at the moment - in case you haven't noticed, the pol
sraxe
Apr 25, 2016 marked it as do-not-read
Oh, hell the fuck no. [x]
Alisa
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This a very emotional story about grief and second chances. Connor and Vinnie were Hollywood actors who were in a relationship for ten years before Vinnie is killed in a car accident. The incident spirals Connor into a pit of despair. On the one year anniversary of Vinnie's death Connor makes a drunken video chronicling his pain and posts it on YouTube. The incident shows his manager how bad things have gotten and she pushes him to take a role on a television show in Washington in an effort to s ...more
Morgan  Skye
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full review closer to release date but note:

I cried in EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER while I read this.

I stayed up til 3 am to finish it.

I want my very own Noah.

Let me warn you right now. You will need Kleenex. Lots of them. For this book.

If you combine “The Bells of Times Square” with “The Locker Room” you get a small inkling of how painful this book is.

posted here on release day http://openskyebookreviews.com/selfie...
BR11
It was ok. Too much angst. Con trying to get over Vinnie's dead got old after a while. The conversations with Vinnie 's ghost were a little ridiculous.
Overall ok. Nothing to call home about.
Aerin
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, part-of-a-series, arc

I thought I could make it... I was sure this was going to be the very first angst-heavy Amy Lane book where I wasn't going to cry! I was sure I wasn't going to shed a tear! Oh how wrong I was; this one hit me late in the book, in the last 20% even, that's why I never saw it coming. But when it did, it was so painful it simply took my breath away... yes there were tears and real crying, and my heart simply HURT!

We know from the blurb that Connor lost the love of his life, his best friend
Toni FGMAMTC
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, romance, painful-past

Connor is having a hard time coping. His boyfriend of 10 years died a year ago, but since they never came out, he isn't seen as a man morning his partner. He's sinking. He's in the public eye, which highlights to the world any mistakes he makes.

Noah is strong and real, exactly what Connor needs. He quickly falls in love with Connor and patiently guides him back to the land of the living.

Selfie
Jewel
First, I want to mention that the Bluewater Bay books can all be read as standalone. You will find character crossovers in the books, but they're not so predominant that you can't easily follow along. So, if you haven't read any of this series, don't be daunted by the fact that this one is #13. I will say that both of my favorite books from this series (so far) were both written by Amy Lane.

Amy Lane has this thing where she writes a story that when I read it, it makes me feel all the feelings,
Jules Lovestoread
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!!!

When we meet Connor Montgomery, he is basically at rock bottom. Having woken up with a helluva hangover, AND discovering that he filmed himself in a drunken stupor—raging, crying, and…singing over the anniversary of the loss of his best friend and love, Vinnie—it seems he couldn’t really sink any lower. With the help of his agent, he picks himself up (read: his agent drags his ass out and does everything that needs to be done), and takes a part on the hit TV show Wolf’s Landing. I t
Adam
I loved being back in the small town of Bluewater Bay. Revisiting different places and catching up with some of the town’s memorable residents was a treat. Small town romances are my weakness, and this fictional town in the Pacific Northwest makes my inner sap very happy.

description

At the beginning of ‘Selfie’, Connor is a pretty pitiful character. He lives as a recluse, shutting himself off from the world and drinking away the pain of his lover’s death. Being in his head was heartbreaking. We get a front-
Catherine
This book has more heart and feeling than 'romance,' but that's okay. In fact, I think it's what makes this story extra special.
Karen
DNF

I just could not get into this author's writing style or connect with the characters so I stopped around 50% and skimmed until the end so I consider it a DNF - thus no rating.
  • Lead Me Not
  • How the Cookie Crumbles (Bluewater Bay, #12)
  • When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)
  • Rain Shadow (Bluewater Bay, #10)
  • If It Drives (Market Garden #7)
  • Patchwork Paradise
  • Blue Steel Chain (Trowchester Blues, #3)
  • Until September
  • Rock N Soul
  • All Wheel Drive (Bluewater Bay, #18)
  • Trailer Trash
  • Good Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #4)
  • No Small Parts (Bluewater Bay, #16)
  • The Burnt Toast B&B (Bluewater Bay #5)
  • Between Ghosts
  • 24/7 (The Subs Club, #4)
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more

Bluewater Bay (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Starstruck (Bluewater Bay, #1)
  • There's Something About Ari (Bluewater Bay, #2)
  • Hell on Wheels (Bluewater Bay #3)
  • Lone Wolf (Bluewater Bay #4)
  • The Burnt Toast B&B (Bluewater Bay #5)
  • Lights, Camera, Cupid: A Bluewater Bay Valentine's Collection (Bluewater Bay #6)
  • Wedding Favors (Bluewater Bay, #7)
  • The Deep of the Sound (Bluewater Bay, #8)
  • When to Hold Them (Bluewater Bay, #9)
  • Rain Shadow (Bluewater Bay, #10)