Start by marking “Shipmate: A Royal Regard Prequel Novella” as Want to Read:
Shipmate: A Royal Regard Prequel Novella

Shipmate: A Royal Regard Prequel Novella

(Sailing Home #3)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The heavy hands and sharp tongues of Bella Smithson’s family have left her almost too timid to converse with a gentleman, much less conduct a husband hunt. Unfortunately, her overbearing aunt and managing cousin are determined to help her escape her black-hearted father and brothers.

Thanks to the Prince of Wales, retiring shipping magnate Myron Clewes has an ever-growing f
ebook
Published November 22nd 2015 by Whaley Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Shipmate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shipmate

Lori D
After reading God Help Ye, Merry Gentlemen, I could not wait to pick up the stories of The Sailing Home Series by Mariana Gabriella. I started with this book although it is shown as #3 due to it being a prequel to the first book. This story finds Bella Smithson, out in society with her Aunt and Uncle hoping to find her a husband. Having been raised by a terrible father and brothers, she is again being beaten down by her Aunt, who is really just trying to show her daughter Charlotte in a more fav ...more
Aleen ~Lampshade Reader
Since this was the first story that I have read in this series, I'm glad I started with the prequel. I was not familiar with the characters, but it allowed me to get a fresh perspective on their backgrounds and personalities. This story is definitely different than a common romance. Matter of fact, there wasn't too much romance to be had for poor Bella. I couldn't help feeling sorry for her. Being labeled a wallflower and constantly reminded by her own family members that she is ugly, makes Bell ...more
Christine Woinich
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this prelude, an introduction to some of Mariana's characters. Bella grew up under a great deal of violence and degradation. It kept her under a semblance of control, but her heart wanted more. Her savior comes in the guise of an older man, Myron, who sees that she can be more than she thinks she is capable of. He recognizes her strength and ability to make a good match for him. This story kept me enthalled and I look forward to the next step in Royal Regard.
kattie
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shipmate

I loved this story, I recommend everyone to read this book. I look forward to reading more of her books. Kattie.
Angela Withrow TheArdentReader
Miss Isabella "Bella" Smithson is having a terrible time in Bath. She is visiting with her aunt, Lady Effingale and her cousin Charlotte, the Marchioness of Firthley.
She is, begrudgingly, on the hunt for a husband, but has no self-esteem whatsoever and her aunts constant barbs are of no help whatsoever!
Bella's father, Lady Effingales brother, is a useless sort of man, no one would call him a gentleman though he was a baronet!
Sir Jasper Smithson only saw his daughter as an asset to be used to fil
Dee Deacon Foster
This prequel to Royal Regard gives a wonderful insight to the life of Bella Smithson prior to her true HEA. The daughter of an intolerable drunk baron with equally abusive brothers, Bella enjoys living with her Aunt, Uncle & cousin at least when her father forgets about her existence. Having had an awful start to her 1st London season, “knowing” she is not a beauty Bella only hopes for someone to take her away from her father & brothers and care for her.

Newly minted peer, shipping magnat
Judy
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shipmate by Mariana Gabrielle
A Royal Regard Prequel Novella
Miss Isabella Smithson hasn't had a very easy life. The daughter of a cruel man and sister to brother's no better than their sire, she lived with her relations. Her aunt may have never struck her with her hand...but instead, with her tongue lashings. And then...it was decided she would marry and sail off with her new husband.

Myron Clewes, Baron of Holsworthy loved traveling as a sailor. Now that Prince Regent had made him a baron and giv
Fionna Guillaume
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is what I would call realistic historical romance. For modern readers, the couple might seem a bit stodgy: he's more than twice her age, stern and demanding, and staunchly religious to boot. Plus, his seduction technique leaves plenty to be desired. But he is, truly, a good man, and that is his appeal. Especially to Bella, a young woman who has always been trampled upon, even physically abused, by her heartless family. He is her protector and she his grateful wife. Like I said, the kind of ...more
Dottie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first encounter with Bella Smithson, the heroine of Royal Regard. In this prequel novella we learn a little about her background, family life, and courtship. Bella's story is one that could have easily ended quite badly for her. With an abusive father and brothers who practicality sold her to an aged seafaring diplomat, the scenario screams of impending doom! Luckily for Bella, life with her husband turns out to be more pleasant and her "happy for the meanwhile" story.
Artful storyte
Harriette
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good backstory for the other novels.

You get to know Bella and Myron as they get to know each other, especially Bella's unhappy past. I look forward to reading more about their adventures together.
Sieravonne
Poor Isabella Smithson, surrounded by swine like father and brothers. While the second brother, John, cared for her, he still didn't have any balls to protect Bella upfront from their contemptible father and older brother.

Plus, I find John very naive when he explained that Jeremy, their older brother, loves Angel Bairstowe, is different with her, he'll not lay a finger on her and if this Miss Bairstowe marries him, she will be the most pampered wife in Christendom. Duh?! Jeremy, was just a wolf
Jennifer Senhaji
Shipmate was a lovely preview and telling of Bella's and Myron's courtship and early marriage. He is one of the kindest and most patient hero's I've ever read. I must admit being surprised at the quick ending as I was hoping to read more of their travels, but all in all, a beautiful introduction to the series.
Teri Donaldson
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful prequel to Royal Regard. It will help you understand Bella's background and introduce you to Charlotte and Myron. While it made me wince at times, it left me cheering for Bella and her happiness.
Stacy Jones
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming prequel to her novel, Royal Regard. I loved having the chance to see how Myron and Bella met. The only drawback is that it was over too soon. I definitely wanted to keep reading!
Smriti Jain
Sylvia Replogle
Jan 25, 2016
Doreen
Dec 02, 2015
Mariana Gabrielle is a pseudonym of Mari Christie, a professional writer, editor, and designer with almost twenty-five years’ experience. Published in dozens of nonfiction and poetry periodicals since 1989, she began writing mainstream historical fiction in 2009 and Regency romance in 2013. In all genres, she creates deeply scarred characters in uncommon circumstances who overcome self-imposed bar ...more

Sailing Home (3 books)
  • Royal Regard (Sailing Home #1)
  • Mistletoe, Marriage, and Mayhem: A Bluestocking Belles Collection