Start by marking “Winter Ball (Winter Ball #1)” as Want to Read:
Winter Ball (Winter Ball #1)

Winter Ball

(Winter Ball #1)

Through a miserable adolescence and a lonely adulthood, Skipper Keith has dreamed of nothing but family. The closest he gets is the rec league soccer team he coaches after work—and his star player and best friend, Richie Scoggins.

One brisk night in late October, a postpractice convo in Richie’s car turns into a sexual encounter neither of them expected—nor want to forget.
Published December 25th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Richie waxes poetic about Skip's dick: "I like the length, I like the width, I like the color ... Most especially I like it in my ass."

This calls for a haiku:

I dream about you
dream about your perfect cock
in my ass, so right

Skip (real name Christopher, but he's the Skipper, so) and Richie aren't shy. They lick and suck and smell. Richie is a shameless pushy bottom, and Skip finally has no problems keeping it hard. He only has to think about Richie's wiry pale body, his red hair, his freckles ...
☆ Todd
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely LOVED and adored so much about this book.

First, Skip, whose deep longing for friends and a real family made my heart ache. He'd dreamed and planned toward both since he was in middle school, after his parents divorced, but it hadn't ever really happened for him. He had no solid faith that he'd every be anything other than alone.

Then Richie, who'd been his dysfunctional family's verbal punching bag since his mother skipped town when he was a teen and he later started doing the books
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

I liked this book, I really did, but in the world of awesome Amy Lane holiday novellas, this wasn't my favorite.

I'm actually pretty stunned that I didn't adore this one. I mean, this is Amy-freaking-Lane we are talking about, and not just regular Amy Lane, HOLIDAY Amy Lane. And not just holiday Amy Lane, but Amy Lane writing GFY!

I adore GFY stories. Like reallllyyyy adore them. However, this wasn't exactly my favorite version of GFY. Sure, it was a really lovely friends-to-lovers s
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Solid 4 stars.....probably closer to 4.5!

This whole story....

I loved everything about it. You couldn't not root for Skip and Richie!

Swoon-worthy--check
Low angst--check
Great steam--check
Good banter--check

2016 is off to a great reading start!!!
Ele

It's a late October night. Skipper, coach of the rec league soccer team, and Richie, his favourite player and best friend, have just finished practice. They get in Richie's car, and it's only natural for two friends to share their concerns about their love life, right? There must be a reason why Skip doesn't get hard with women or why Richie needs the lights off during sex. If you don't talk to your friend about these things, who are you going to talk to?

Good thing they did! Because they found o
.Lili.
Shelves: m-m, mm-holidays

photo BmHbMUqcwgLs_zpsqa9oc8du.gif

Amy Lane,

You have nailed this out of the park! One of my favorite tropes- if not my favorite- is friends to lovers, and this was a delicious little tale. There was no possible way that I wouldn't fall in love with these two men.

photo 4c3d2da8-e2a0-4f09-ba87-237bcbcb7ad8_zps89rwkbgy.jpg

This book it had it all.

Great main characters ✔
Great dialogue ✔
Humor ✔
Text messages!! Love banter in emails or texts. ✔
Sweet romance ✔
Dirty hot sex ✔
Heartbreak ✔
Awesome secondary characters ✔
HEA that will leave you smiling ✔

I just adored this to bits! If you love holid
Jaime
3/5/17
Re-read as audio -- loved listening to Skip & Richie fall in love all over again!! Nick J. Russo does a superb job in his production of the audio. Great tone, cadence, and character differentiation. ..his emotion added to the story brought the book to life!

Another 5 stars for Winter Ball!!

12/2015
I loved this book!!-- 5 Stars

It is not secret that Amy Lane is one of my favorite male/male authors. She has a witty sense of humor and an ability to make even the most awkward man lovable.
Kaje Harper
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comfort-reread, m-m
I'm not sure if this is Amy Lane light or dark - the guys won't tear your heart to little shredded, bloodied bits, but they sure will squeeze it a lot. Either way, signature Amy Lane style, with two young men who have been avoiding looking their own desires in the face. Until one day, in a car together, tired and sweaty in the dim October evening, it comes together. They touch each other, and all pretense of being straight, or uninterested, or anything but falling headlong, becomes impossible.

Sk
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sweet hollandaise sauce, could Skip and Richie be any more fucking adorable? I absolutely love them. They navigate the waters of sexual exploration and awakening with a strangely innocent zeal that is somehow perfectly paired with experience and a slight cynicism. Their innate caution leads to the occasional misunderstanding, but they're close enough to be achingly open with one another, leading to frank and honest revelations. They're one of those literary couples that you just want to wrap up ...more
Susan
Shelves: mm, comfort-reads
My 1000th book on GR. Woohooooo.

Oh, how do I love these Amy Lane low-angst books.

This was such a sweet GFY, best-friends-to-lovers story.

Skipper and Richie have been best friends and soccer buddies for the past 6 years. When they are talking about their previous relationships and how neither of them can seem to stay interested in a woman, something else happens. They kiss, they touch.

What I really liked about that first scene is that there is no awkwardness after. Both are just thinking:

We mus
Debra
Review originally posted at Sinfully.

Low angst, plenty of sex, dirty talking, flu-medication induced confessions and a number of holidays made this friends-to-lovers story a wonderful read.

Skipper doesn’t have any family. Richie has a dysfunctional family he can’t seem to drag himself away from. They’ve been friends for six years, through tech school and playing in a rec soccer league. One night after practice, while talking in Richie’s car and discussing their less than stellar, eerily
Parvathy
4 stars...

A sexy, hot, sweet and emotional love story...

Skipper and Richie have been best friends since they met in technical school. Skipper coaches a rec league soccer team after work and Richie is the star player of the team. Having had a less than stellar childhood devoid of love and affection Skipper's world is the team he coaches and Richie.One night,after practice, a conversation in the car turns into a sexual encounter neither expects and this paves the way for their relationship. This
Kat ☠

Real life has been utterly shit these last couple of days, but reading this felt like Amy Lane was giving me the best squishiest hugs right when I needed them.
Tess
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing

The first thing I realized as I started to read this is that I love romances between guys who are just, well, ordinary. And you can't get much more ordinary than two guys who meet in tech school and then become good friends through rec soccer league.

Did I mention they're good friends? So, yes, this was a friends to lovers romance which is, of course, the best trope of all. Oh yeah, they're also gay virgins. Who are making up for lost time. So there's that too.

But this wasn't just about
Vanessa North
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
A sweet warm-fuzzy Christmas story, and somehow exactly what I needed to read when I woke up at five in the morning on a Sunday.
Denise H.
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***** :) Amy Lame has the best character development ever ! :) This well written tale is the journey of two long time friends who discover they are gay, they explore this discovery with each other and find a true, deep loving relationship. Big, fit athlete Skip has reluctantly taken over the soccer team, and is doing a great job keeping the team well tuned. Smaller, shorter, "ginger" Richie is a team member who looks up to Skip. They realize their attraction after a game one night, when after ta ...more
sraxe
There were parts of this book I really wanted to like and find adorable (though others were suuuuper cheesy). Honestly, I did. But I just couldn't because I kept getting stuck on how sudden it all felt. They jumped into a relationship so easily after having been straight friends and exclusively dating women for years. I think part of it is also that we're dropped right into the middle of everything. We don't see anything happening before...just them leaving their soccer game and immediately gett ...more
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

I’ve got to say that though I haven’t read a lot from this author, this is probably my favorite by far.

What happens when two seemingly straight best friends accidentally? explode together, having the best intimate experience ever? Only great things right?

Skipper simply wants to give himself all the stuff he missed out on as a child - good friends, reliable family, and holiday traditions, and Richie pretty much fits that bill. This is made all the more clear as these two navigate their ne
Renée
Shelves: mm-romance
This was another great addition to the holiday season of m/m yummy goodness of 2015! Skipper and Richie have been friends for many years and even play in a rec soccer league together. One hot and steamy encounter changes the way they see each other.

This was the perfect mix of sweet, friends-to-lovers and dirty, dirty hotness between the sheets! Done the way that only Amy Lane can do! And there is something so refreshing about the "realness" of her characters. Their physical attributes and their
Jewel
I read this book in one sitting. Seriously, the world could have gone to hell around me and I doubt I would have noticed. I LOVED Winter Ball! Oh, Amy Lane, how I adore thee! This was the perfect, low angst Christmas read that I wish I could have read over the Christmas holiday. Better late than never, yeah?
Meags
4 Stars

This was a very sweet friends-to-lovers story, featuring two young, sort of lonely, soccer playing guys, who are both looking for their place in the world and who just happen to find it with each other.

This story is light on angst (which I appreciated), and all the drama that does ensue is outside of their blossoming relationship (yay!). Once Skipper and Richie begin exploring the possibilities between them (i.e. start having delicious man-on-man sex) they thankfully deal with everything
Karen
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If Mary Calmes is comfort food than...

Amy Lane is quite possibly shelter from the storm. I don't think I've ever read an Amy Lane book that I didn't love...forget like with Ms Lane it's all about the 'love' and Winter Ball has quite possibly become one of my favorites.

For me this was just simply a story of 'we love who we love'. The MCs were perfect...sorry, no other word describes them for me. The secondary characters Carpenter and the rest of the soccer team, Mason and his brother were all f
Ryan Santle
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This is not a bad book. Skipper Keith and Richie Scoggins are two adorable MCs that will surely take a while before they get out of my system.

But Amy Lane's writing style is getting old. Too much sex with little story. This is NOT a juicy book if we are going to talk about story depth and plot, but very juicy in terms of steam and sex. The family drama is overused. This is almost the same problem that her other MC had in her other book, Sidecar. The resolution is also the same.

If you w
Bitchie
It's so nice, to read a book by a quality author! Everything was just so well done, and so real. These aren't perfect guys, with perfect bodies and perfectly flawed lives and personalities, these were real people, with real issues.

I loved how organic Skipper and Richie moved from best friends to lovers. I don't usually like it when the sex occurs so quickly, and so often, but I didn't mind it at all here. All the sex felt vitally important to the growth of these characters.

I admit to some diffic
Karen
Once again I'm reviewing an audio book that I've already read in e-book format and once again in regards to the story I'm sticking with my original rating and review. So here's the link...
Winter Ball - ebook review

Now as for the audio portion of this review. It was Nick J. Russo on the mic, so no worries there. Mr. Russo did an awesome job of narrating and kept me engaged from start to finish. I have very quickly become a fan of this narrator.

Venturing into audiobooks this time around has defini
Diana
Shelves: m-m
The first 1/3 of this book was a struggle for me, to the point I almost gave up on it. I am so glad I didn't.

Skip and Richie met in tech school several years ago, and became fast friends. Now they hang out on a men's recreational soccer team. Skip lives alone and has no real family. The only friends he has is his soccer team. He is so lonely, it made me get tear eyed the way he so very badly wants a family and a "home" . Richie works for his father along with is step brothers, who are so abusive
Elsbeth

Christmas BR with Sonia and Paul (14th X-mas read 2015)

*3,5 stars*

A couple of horndogs these guys were!! But they were sweet and so very much in love with each other.

Oh God, he and Richie had just kissed and given each other hand jobs and….
Skip’s whole body screamed at him.

"We must do this again. We must do this again."

I had a great time reading their conversations with each other. Skip was so in love with Richie. He would do anything to take care of him.
The episode Skip had a high fever wa
Dena
2.5* Unfortunately this was a miss for me. Too much Soccer, too much sex that I didn't find sexy, not enough build-up before the first kiss. I did not believe Richie's Dad would let the step-son's actions go unpunished, Skipper was always on the verge of crying, anyone who had money was a horrible pretentious person unless they were gay. It just seemed a little too politicized--I mean Clay's family were super nice and supportive and yet Skipper wanted to know what they did to make him get fat?? ...more
BR11
3 mehhh stars
Mmmm this one was ok. GFY sories are my thing, and a double GFY? Heaven, if properly told. In MHO, this was not the case. It was all kinds of rushed... just throwing the fact that they had known each other for 6 years as a replacement for a proper buildup. Just a shame.
Richie's cherry popping came and went without fanfare and I was left waiting for Skip's, which never happened.
There were also some editing errors.
I think that this one goes to the mehh shelf. Oh well...
Wendy
This one was oke and the two of them were really hot together, but for some reason it just didn't wow me. Probably a case of " it's not the book ...it's me". I just couldn't connect with the mc's and te storyline. I also found it a bit boring.

Like I said...it's probably me because this book got a lot of great reviews, so don't take my word for it, read it yourself and decide ;)

3 stars from me.
  • If Only in My Dreams
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Gaudete
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Midwinter Night's Dream (Unwrapping Hank #2)
  • The Holiday Hoax
  • Sleigh Ride (Minnesota Christmas, #2)
  • One Holiday Ever After
  • Christmas Delights
  • What Happens at Christmas
  • The Heart of Frost (North Pole City Tales, #2)
  • Something to Believe In
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
  • Humbug
  • Bowl Full of Cherries (Avona Tales, #1)
  • Magic & Mistletoe
  • Merry Gentlemen
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more

Winter Ball (2 books)
  • Summer Lessons (Winter Ball, #2)
“I’m starting to think being a grown-up isn’t going to school or even paying your own rent. It’s learning to fake it when you got no other choice.” 1 likes