Start by marking “The Tiger (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tiger (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #2)

The Tiger

(Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer #2)

Abandoned and cut off from friendly lines, Stiger takes the fight to the enemy!

A nobleman from an infamous family, imperial legionary officer, fighter, and a right proper bastard of a man…Captain Ben Stiger captured Castle Vrell and rid it of a minion of a dark god. Now he finds himself cut off from the empire with a hostile rebel army marching on the legion’s fortress wh
Paperback, First Edition, 302 pages
Published November 25th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Tiger, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Tiger (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #2)
HBalikov
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
“I fear the humans are right,” Ogg said. The hint of madness, for a moment, left the wizard’s eyes. “Braddock, I feel it in my bones. The Last War is coming. Can’t you feel it? The day fast approaches when the Gate can be unlocked and the way made open. Though, by your actions, we teeter on the edge of an endless night.”

These chronicles are like peanuts……..hard to stop at one. So I have plunged into the second book. As you may surmise from the above, Edelheit is pouring more fantasy into his leg
The Shayne-Train
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh this one's just full o' war. WAR! Ungh. Good god, y'all. What is it good for? (Putting down rebellions!) Say it again.

But really. The first book was all build up, this book is all conflict, and it looks like the THIRD book is doubling-down on the more fantastical elements. I think I'll go check it.....right now.
Marc
Jan 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
The author created a great framework for an epic series. Sadly he 'broad stroked' his story too much and ends up with a book suited for very young adults. At times the story appears to meander where the author seems to have lost his chain of thought. This reads like a first draft with the details to be added later. He also has established his books as Fantasy similar to the Warcraft series with a strong D&D influence. I was disappointed that characters weren't developed and are very one dimensio ...more
Elizabeth Fantham
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These are very short books, I am hoping that they will be a continuous series because they are just that AWESOME.

The writing is on point always, the plot is very interesting and the characters are all well done. There is lots of ongoing action and they are just WOW.

Can't wait to see what happens next!
Peter Cornell
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

Best one of the series yet. I'm looking forward to the next one. Excellent character development and nonstop action. I loved it!
Randy Harmelink
Still loving this series...
GaiusPrimus
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, military
Man oh man

Does this series continue to deliver or what? What a rush.

I'm glad there's a 8 book library from this author, all somewhat related.
Brian Turner
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Follows on nicely from Stigers Tigers. Following the events from that, Stiger now finds himself in charge of the Vrell castle, but other groups also want it for their own reasons.
This book introduces dwarves and elves into the mix, but they don't have too big a part just yet.

The fighting scenes are well done, and it tends to stick to the main characters from book one.
This is shaping up to be a good series, and will be getting the third book.
Kendra
Ooohhh! What an ending! So glad I have the third book!

Excellent second story, I enjoyed the fleshing out of characters and the different story lines. Well written and another easy to disappear into read.
Tim
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Stiger novels get better as they go. Marc's skill as a writer improves as he expands his saga. His knowledge of Roman infantry tactics and organisation gives the battle scenes life. I am a fan. Highly recommended.
Larry E Kelley
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book

Outstanding storyline with enough twist to keep you engrossed throughout the book . Highly recommend both the series and this book
Tony
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novels
The first book in this series introduced veteran imperial officer Ben Stiger, as he took over a rag-tag legion on the edge of the empire and whipped them into shape with the help of his trusty elf Lieutenant. Heavily based on imperial Roman soldiering, the book concluded with Stiger having taken command of a castle, but cut off from friendly territory by a large rebel force.

This next in the series opens with Stiger seeking to fight a delaying action so that winter can arrive and make it safe for
Jeremy Craig
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marc is a creative genius, and every time I pick up one of his books I've never once been disappointed by the story he's crafted for his readers. The Tiger is just another example of excellence in the Imperial Legionary officer saga of books that I cannot stress enough how highly I recommend everyone picks up and reads. The characters have extraordinary depth (to the point where the reader quickly finds themselves emotionally invested in them), and very quickly come alive amid a fast pace, full ...more
Jacob
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Roman Legion in a world of Magic!!

First of, did I just write "Roman Legion in a world of Magic?!?!" Talk about an amazing plot twist!!! The fact that we get to experience the greatest heavy infantry our world has ever seen on another, through the perspective of our favorite grizzled "Legate," and his Tigers is nothing less than astounding!!! I quite enjoy fantasy and history, so getting to see them both together in the form of a well written novel is something of much enjoyment to me. These book
Patrick
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

I started the series with this book. I'm going back to read the first. This was really well done. Elves, dwarves, gnomes, wizards, prophecies and mysterious evil notwithstanding this felt like a historical novel. I haven't read those for a little while and this brought back the memory of the pleasure of that genre.

If you like military fiction with a strong accurate accounting of the warfare depicted then you will get the benefit of a well written story. If you like fantasy, this series pu
Charles
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book 2 in this series finds Stiger and his Legionaries confronting a rebel army that's bent on removing him from the fortress he just took over. Even though he's outnumbered more than 20-1, Stiger decides to take the fight to the advancing rebel army. Along the way we get more battle tactics, leadership skills, and daily life of a legionnaire. Add into the mix some major surprises and twists in the story, and we have a pretty entertaining read that is hard to put down.

Chronicles of an Imperial L
LJ Waguespack
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book two, no slowing down this winning series!

As I complete book two in this series, again I have to repeat what a discovery! This series continues to exceed my expectations with pulse pounding action, raw, intense combat,, it does not slow down or disappoint.
The author has created a lead character, who Is a gifted, skilled tactician, with methodical, military planning skills and manages to hold my interest completely throughout this series by involving me in his thought processes.
Adrian Jackson
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-candy
Fun fun fun. I enjoyed book one of this series but kept tripping over the historical legionary detail mixed with the light fantasy trickling in at the edges of the story. As a mild history buff I both enjoyed the references but was taken aback at the discrepancies. Not dissimilar in approach to Miles Cameron's fantasy series (which I cannot recommend enough btw). The characters from the first book grew on me in this one and I enjoyed the addition of a wider cast outside the unit. For me this was ...more
Mark Lajoie
This is a solid read. Not great literature, but enjoyable. The "supernatural" elements are not too overpowering, and thus don't provide too great a tendency to magically wave away difficulties. But it is fantasy, rather than historical fiction. There are elves, or in this first book, at least one. And there is no "romance", or even any female characters, to slow the narrative. I am now on the third book in the series, so it does seem to hold up.
Ian Denner
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Definitely better than the first book. I started this series because I’m on an Ancient Rome phase in my reading cycle for some reason, and the first book just seemed like something that would interest me, now after the second book in the series I definitely know that I will read the complete series because if every book in the series follows the pattern I’m in for a wild ride...
Sean Bai
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Wonderful! Tactics galore!

It it's even possible, this book is even better than the first. Battles are littered throughout as a small force tries to stop a force twenty times larger than itself. A fun read to hear that the small force gains unexpected allies. Marc Edelheit does a good job describing troop tactics and action.
David
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tiger

What a great read,the legion so like our own Roman legion, but then again in a totally different environment. The attention to detail especially on the Roman armies weapons and armour is really cool. A great storyline and characters to die for, elves,dwarves,goblins,wizards, what more could you ask for. Fab
C.M. Rutherford
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic combination of the classic fantasy elements, as well as fantastic military fiction. The author combines the two genres to create a rich, fast paced novel that you can't put down. Rich characters and great story telling bring this tale to life. If you are a fan of Fantasy and/or military fiction you can't lose with this series.
Brandon
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the build-up in the first book made for a much more fast paced second installment. Pretty much just one rolling battle through the book, with elements that moved it more solidly into the fantasy camp than the historical fiction the first book could almost have passed for.

Overall, still enjoying this series. On to book 3.
Barefoot Gypsy Jimerson
Dwarves, Elvis an the 13th.

Action packed fast pass a little magic in the air. New allies long forgotten. Coming together to fight a war that wants to take over the Empire. Caption Ben Stiger has a lot on his hands an doesn't know the half of what's to come. Book 2 is a outstanding read with great character an more to come.
Mary Erenfeld
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of many good reads

I enjoyed this novel because it had so many subplots that one was kept guessing. Read the first books and then continue on with this one! These books are great reads!
Curtis
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read; Great Series

This is an excellent book in an excellent series. The action and characters feel real, and you get a ring-side seat to the battles. Very well written and edited, these books are highly recommended.
John Morris
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting fantasy tale

The story was a marked improvement on Book 1. The battles were exciting to read about, with the added potency surrounding the arrival of dwarves, elves and the like. We are now, well and truly, in "Game of Thrones" territory.
Innes Hill
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps improving

As a lover of fantasy and historical Roman fiction these books tick all my boxes, a real adventure story and an enthralling page turner. I cannot recommend these highly enough.
William F. Rogers III
Rare find

These are rare good books to read. The author refrains from making this series an orgy of sex and violence. Instead presents a well crafted plot with real characters. As I read I was reminded of Tolkien. Thank you!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)
  • Forgotten Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle, #1)
  • Clay Legionary (Clay Warrior Stories #1)
  • Shields in Shadow (The Silent Champions #1)
  • Wayward Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle, #2)
  • Brutal Diplomacy (Clay Warrior Stories #5)
  • Spilled Blood (Clay Warrior Stories, #2)
  • Infinite Courage (Clay Warrior Stories #8)
  • Deceptive Valor (Clay Warrior Stories #9)
  • Bloody Water (Clay Warrior Stories #3)
  • Reluctant Siege (Clay Warrior Stories #4)
  • Fortune Reigns (Clay Warrior Stories #6)
  • Resurrected Soldiers (The Tyrus Chronicle #3)
  • The Knights of Erador (The Echoes Saga, #7)
  • Knight of Rome Part II
  • Knight of Rome Part I
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • Emperor's Axe (Imperial Assassin #3)
Marc Alan Edelheit has a Bachelor’s Degree in Science and obtained a Masters in Education as a Reading and Writing Specialist. Marc has traveled the world, from Asia to Europe, even at one point crossing the border at Check Point Charlie in Berlin toward the end of the Cold War. Marc is the ultimate history fan and incorporates much of that passion into his work to bring greater realism to his fan ...more

Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer (5 books)
  • Stiger's Tigers (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #1)
  • The Tiger's Fate (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #3)
  • The Tiger's Time (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer #4)
  • The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)