Start by marking “Phobia: Five disturbing early DS Smith cases (DS Jason Smith Detective Thriller)” as Want to Read:

Phobia: Five disturbing early DS Smith cases

(Detective Jason Smith)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  126 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
AN ESSENTIAL INTRODUCTION TO THE DS SMITH THRILLER SERIES.

Phobia is a series of five DS Jason Smith cases he worked on before we met him in the first book 'Smith'. We get insights into what moulded him into the Detective Sergeant we first get a glimpse of in 'Smith'. Smith quickly realizes that police work isn't always cut and dry. Justice is not always black and white; t
Published November 25th 2015 by Stewart Giles

To ask other readers questions about Phobia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phobia

Linda Strong
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018

This is such an entertaining book! It introduces the reader to Jason Smith before his series actually begins.

There are five different full-length stories starting with the things that turned him away from the law defending thugs into a rookie police officer. From there, he rises up the ranks until in Book 5, he is DS Jason Smith.

It's quite a journey watching him grow and mature from his very first day on the job to a man who has developed and honed his instinctive feelings that make him an excep
Amanda
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have a confession to make. Although I have all of the DS Jason Smith books on my ever increasing ‘TBR’ (to be read) pile, I have only actually read one (‘Unworthy’) of them prior to picking this one up. I loved reading ‘Unworthy’ and I just knew that I would love ‘Phobia’. I was not to be disappointed. I absolutely loved reading ‘Phobia’ which, as it says on the tagline, is a perfect introduction to DS Jason Smith.
What can I say about DS Jason Smith? He is one hell of a man. He is originally f
Books n All  Jill Burkinshaw
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Stewart's books they are easy to read and are a little bit different (but I can't put my finger on why) and I have LOVED every single one. So I was very excited to be reading this book.

I have to say this is an absolutely brilliant way of bringing the reader up to date with the time before Smith became a DS. I haven't seen this done before we usually get snippets throughout the series that you need to put together or a prequel novella so this was an enlightening breath of fresh
Joanna Larum
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have got to start by saying that I don't normally read short stories, but I had read and loved Smith, which is a full length novel of one of Smith's cases, so I jumped at the chance to read these five short stories which give the background to how and why Smith joined the police. An added bonus is that the series is set in York which is so close to my home in the North Riding of Yorkshire.
Despite working for a Law degree, Jason Smith is devastated when his grandmother dies after being mugged a
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
(3.5 rounded up to 4)

So I’ve previously read a book of Stewart Giles published through Joffe Books and enjoyed it, so when I was offered the chance to read his self published stories I jumped at the chance.

The book contains five stories:

Cause and Effect

This has Smith’s very first case as a PC and shows how he goes from studying law to the police. After a nasty bout of flu he’s drafted up to CID to help on a spat of armed robberies of Post Offices.

The Girl In The River

Now a detective constable,
Donna Maguire

I really enjoyed this book, we get to read five stories featuring Jason Smith which set the scene and tell us more about his character before the first full length novel - Smith.

I read the stories over a few nights and it was a treat for me as I learnt more about one of my favourite characters. The stories are short but well written and they contain a lot detail. They are as well written as the full length books so it was a real pleasure to read them!

4.5 s
Kathryn Lamar
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
DS Jason Smith started here

I saw the name of author Stewart Giles while watching a BBC show on PBS which I enjoyed. So I looked him up on Amazon & found his books. Starting at the beginning of DS Smith's seemed like the best way to go so I did. And it was. Writers from the countries in Great Britain are easy for me to read because if their logic while the mysteries are intriguing & challenging. Giles writes stories that are top of that line & very hard to put down. Am starting the ne
Diane L. Woodbury
Interesting lead character!

I started reading this series here, a good place to meet Smith. He quickly catches you with his quirky personality. He is surrounded by equally well-developed and individualized supporting cast members. The author puts all of these into fascinating plots in five shorter stories. I will read more of these stories!
Alison
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved learning more about Smith's earlier life and career through these cases.
Miss Dawn O'Donnell
Oct 18, 2017
Kelly Falconer
Dec 23, 2016
Rosemary
Dec 27, 2017
Raymond Stuckey
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2018
Stewart Giles
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
paulinefirth
Feb 24, 2018
Sheila Todd
Sep 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
After reading English at 3 Universities and graduating from none of them, I set off travelling around the world with my wife, Ann, finally settling in South Africa, where we still live. After Ann dropped a rather large speaker on my head I came up with the idea for a detective series. DS Jason Smith was born. Smith, the first in the series was finished a few months later. 3 years and 8 DS Smith bo ...more

Detective Jason Smith (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Smith: A Detective Jason Smith Thriller (Detective Jason Smith #1)
  • Boomerang: A Detective Jason Smith thriller (Detective Jason Smith #2)
  • Ladybird (Detective Jason Smith, #3)
  • Occams's Razor: Be careful who you trust (Detective Jason Smith #4)
  • Harlequin (Dectective Jason Smith #5)
  • Selene (Dectective Jason Smith #6)
  • Horsemen (Detective Jason Smith #7)
  • The Girl in the River: Smith's First Murder (Detective Jason Smith)
  • Lost Boys: A DS Jason Smith short story (DS Jason Smith Thriller)
  • From the Mouths of Babes (Detective Jason Smith series)
“Ben started to bark. I don’t think I’ll ever get that image out of my head. She was blown up like a balloon.” “Then she’s been in the water for quite some time,” Smith said. “You said she was next to the barge?” Thompson said. “Can you show us?” Gillian stood up and sat” 0 likes