Start by marking “Overture” as Want to Read:
Overture

Overture

A beautifully written, strikingly accomplished debut novel about love, music, and the complex relationship between mothers and daughters �at once a captivating glimpse into lives lived passionately and a subtle exploration of the nature of genius, it is the perfect book for fans of Bel Canto and Amy and Isabelle.

Natasha Darsky is "the most famous violinist since Paganini

Published January 16th 2007 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Overture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overture

Ben Babcock
I went through alternating appraisals of Overture. At first I thought it was boring, then sweet, then sickeningly romantic (if I ever hear the words "torrid but virginal liaison" again, I will snap, I swear), and finally, musical.

I can't say I like the main character. She is one of those people who feels a constant, almost pathological, need to sabotage her own happiness. And I just can't accept that philosophy--even in the name of art. I couldn't help but yell at Tasha throughout the entire boo
Laura Lander
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very intense book! I love the intensity and I very much love the musicality. The theme of mother-daughter relationship X2 (mother/grandmother-mother-daughter) is so very relevant.
Gregg Bell
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: done

I found this book at a library used book sale. Yes, there are the ten copies of DaVinci Code or whatever the library is unloading there, but there are also the books that don't get checked out. The latter is where my interest lies. Call me a contrarian, but I usually am interested in what the masses are NOT reading. And this is where I found "Overture" in pristine condition (I'm going to give it back to them) and stamped markedly "Discarded by Itasca Community Library" on the flyleaf.

I will star

Robyn
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
I tried...I honestly tried. I was intrigued by the summary of the plot, but the story itself wreaked of a disgustingly pretentious attitude. It focuses on the egocentric, holier than thou artistic crowd that I despise (and as an art student, I feel it ruins the reputation of any art in general) and quite frankly, it's hard to stomach. The author attempts to describe the passion the main character feels for her music, and her boyfriend, but it's very unbelievable and unconvincing. Especially sinc ...more
Daniel
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: literary
If I recall correctly, I discovered this novel after being impressed with some of the author's short stories and being intrigued by the general plot or theme of this: the intersections between music and life and the relationship between mother and daughter. Sadly, I finished the novel feeling ambivalent. Moments of beauty that can hold up a short story are here rendered overwrought. Moreover, beyond the carefully crafted writing I didn't find anything fresh or memorable. There is music that is c ...more
Heather
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazingly well-written and engaging novel. It's not heavily plot-driven or a particularly quick read, but the prose were so carefully crafted--it felt like each word and sentence were meticulously chosen and formulated.

For the reader to truly enjoy this book to its fullest, it helps to know more than the average would about classical music. That said, even without this knowledge, the book's an enjoyable and compelling read.

I look forward to reading other, future works by this author.
Shari
Aug 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Natasha Darsky is a musical (violin) protégé – but an interesting one who leads an interesting and introspective life. I thought the book would be about an art snob but in fact the relationship between Natasha and her daughter was really very interesting – much more interesting than her relationships with men.
Debbie
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did not buy the great love between Tasha and Jean-Paul. The mother-daughter relationship I thought was wonderful (not anything like mine with mother or daughter). Tasha seemed pretty cold about her relationships - maybe all her passion really went into her music. Loved the ending.
Hubert
Dec 19, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: music fetishists, chick lit lovers.
Currently in the middle of reading this short tome. Funny to read, about Harvard composers, highly unedited, some parts rather simple and implausible. Second half of story more on the relationship between mother and daughter. But still fun and funny if at times overly melodramatic and over-written.
Josh
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book
Dana
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
4-5 stars for writing. No doubt, it was really lovely writing, and the exploration of music and character was masterfully done. I just didn't like it that much.
Monica
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it

A nice quick read. I enjoyed it a first but the plot got old after a while.
Mar 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Music Lovers
The powers of symphony on a human soul. A show of strength from a mother to a daughter. This is one of those hit or miss books, and i really loved it.
Anne
Jan 04, 2008 rated it liked it
My boyfriend new this author while he was at Harvard. I think it was a good first novel for her. Well written, though hard to relate to the main character.
Tracie Sampson
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of those books you want to finish but you don't want to finish.
Karen
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it in about a day. Obviously enjoyed. A good read for summer beach (or in our case January beach). I liked it. 3.65 stars.
Indrany
Jan 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
B's college friend's first novel. Reminiscent of her mother's work. Entertaining, but not earth-shaking.
Marsha
Feb 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Lovely read. Insightful and loving portrayal of family relationships as well as creative process.
sarah