Start by marking “The Assassin Game” as Want to Read:
The Assassin Game

The Assassin Game

Who will be left after lights out?

Tag, youre it

Its 4:00 a.m. when they come for me. I am already awake, strung out on the fear that they will come, and the fear that they wont. When I finally hear the click of the latch on the dormitory door, I have only a second to brace myself before

At Cate's isolated boarding school, Killer is more than a gameits an elite secret
Published August 2nd 2016 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Assassin Game, please sign up.
Jacey Somewhat, but not entirely so. There's more of a feel of mystery and romance, but there are multiple tense parts to keep you interested!

Hope this…more

Hope this helped!(less)

Start your review of The Assassin Game
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I was thinking this book was going to be something else entirely. I'm not sure why but I had a few movies running around in my head where they were these masks, but that has nothing to do with the story.

This book is a little more young adult than I was expecting when I started reading it but I really enjoyed it. The kids are sort of weird and dorky acting but who isn't at that age. It does have a creep factor that reminds me of the young horror books I used to read as a kid. I'm old, that was a
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Remember those Point Horror books that were so popular in the 80s and 90s? R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, Diane Hoh? When I was in middle school, my school library had a little bookshelf crammed with these trashy gems, and I checked them out by the dozen. I think by the time I had my commencement ceremony, I'd read all of the titles they had in circulation.There were various themes, but my favorite was always The Deadly Party - a throwback
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

I received this book on a read-to-review basis from NetGalley. Thank you to the author, Kirsty McKay, and the publisher, Sourcebooks Fire, for the opportunity.

This novel, whilst not being entirely new in plot and idea, handled a tried-and-tested concept well whilst feeling unique enough to not feel like a rehashing of a known tale. The novel takes place at an elite boarding school on an isolated island off the coast of Wales. The over-achieving teenagers who go there have
Stacee
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was super excited at the premise of this book. I love any and all things like a secret society, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Cate is an okay MC. She's a little dramatic and I felt like I couldn't ever settle into her inner monologue or the rhythm of the story. There are a lot of other characters, but no one really stood out as a solid, likable person to root for.

The plot was slow and fast at the same time, if that makes sense. There are a lot of things happening, but it still
Casey
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, young-adult
I was thinking of giving this a 2.8 but I;ve slept on it and it doesn't deserve it. 2 Stars.

As you guys can probably see by my updates this book took a LONG ass time to start.

How awesome does this sound? Our MC Cate is in a boarding school called Umfraville. Umfraville is for geniuses and on an island that is only accessible by Boat (if the tides are right) or helicopter.

After reading this my internal conversation went a bit like this:
Me: Oh cool setting! What do you have plot wise book?
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
1.5 Star

Overview:

I received a ARC of this through Netgalley. Thank you to the author and the publisher for the opportunity!

This was a DNF around 20% for me. I really hate rating books this low. Especially review books. And I feel especially bad about the fact that I didnt finish this. But I already had too many problems with it and too many other better books Id rather spend my time reading.

An isolated, upper class boarding school has a secret society who organizes a giant game referred to
Inge
Killer Game is one of those books that has such an exciting concept that you can't wait to sink your teeth into it. Instead, Killer sinks its teeth into you.

I didn't find the first quarter of the book all that interesting, but I'm glad I kept reading, because the rest of the book was really thrilling. You turn page after page (or if you have an ereader like me, you go tap tap tap tap) because you have to know what happens next. It's the perfect high school whodunnit and everyone's a suspect.

Kaitie
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I was immediately drawn to this book on the shelf, with its gripping title and creepy-looking cover. Im a complete sucker for thrillers, especially when theyre done well, and the blurb on the back of the book seemed exciting. The blurb, however, really talks up the overall plot of the book, making it seem more intense than it is.

I wasnt entirely disillusioned with the book - the descriptions throughout are lovely, and the setting - a rainy, foggy, isolated island boarding school - is a lovely
Ashley Drumm
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kirsty-mckay
A fun read, trying to figure out who the killer is. Got me on that one, I definitely didn't see him being the killer.
Alexandra
"It is about 4:00 a.m. when they come for me. I am already awake, strung out on the fear that they will come, and the fear that they won't."

I won't recap the basic plot, as that's covered in the blurb. If you're worried (or hoping) this is a slasher type book, it is not. It is a suspenseful Young Adult mystery. There's a bit of romance, but it's more in service of the question of who the guilty party is than really romantic. Something I actually preferred.

I enjoyed the isolation aspect. With the
Mizuki
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Outline of the story: In a private school for talented students, there is a secret game being played among students: The Assassin Game. Once a year, the Game would be played by chosen players and they must outsmart and outlive a mysterious Killer and his/her many creative Kills. Once you are Killed, then you are out of the Game!

All should be in good fun and game, but what if in this year, the stake has been raised higher and there is someone in the Game who wants to use it to really hurt people?
Amanda
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
You can also find my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

I have had a copy of this from Netgalley for years before I picked it up. I cant believe it took me so long to pick this up because the concept is so cool. I love the idea of secret societies, they have an air of mystery to them that intrigues me. When I read the blurb of the novel again I was so excited to read it.

The assassin game is a game that Ive played before, but never like the way they did, the twist put on it in
Aoife
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, kindle, thriller

I received a free digital copy from the author/publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest feedback.

In an isolated and exclusive boarding school on a Welsh island, the Assassin's Guild is the club everyone wants to join. Once a year new initiates join and the whole club play a game called 'Killer' where members are killed off using tricks such as smoke bombs and red paint - nothing too dangerous and nothing illegal. This year, things take a weird twist when there's another Killer and the
Jazmen
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm eating my words...

This was a decent, dare I say good, YA mystery. I quite liked it. I know, I know--the shock!

SUMMIN' IT UP
It's all a game. The group of them are in a game, and someone's a killer. Well, that's how it works. A bunch of students are initiated into the game, and they're faked killed. That is until someone can guess who the killer is. Sounds simple right? Maybe even a little lame, but fret not. It's a ride.

Like I was saying, people are killed publicly, and none of it's real.
Fionn Oakes
Honestly, this book annoyed me SO MUCH.

Not only is the concept completely unoriginal a pretend assassin game but OH MY GOD SOME PEOPLE START TO BE SERIOUSLY HURT??!!? but it is told in a boring and really terribly-written way.

Note: Seriously hurt. Not killed. Because thatd be too much drama and excitement for Killer Game.

Very rarely does a book rile me up so much that I have to tell everybody about it. But this is how I feel right now. The amount of offensive material in this book has
Rissa
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
To get into the club you must first survive the game.

This book draws you in with descriptive writing, semi suspenseful mystery and an unusual concept. "Death" is the game but not really, everyone gets "fake killed" by the killer but you might as well be dead because you lost the opportunity to join the elite club of 'assassins'. Only this semester the killer is doing real harm and Cates next will she survive or be punished along with her friends?
Jess
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love reading a book with an anonymous psychopath? I loooovvvvveeeddddd it! I couldn't put the book down! I just couldn't stop reading until I found out who the Killer was! (I really didn't see it coming). If you like reading mysterious YA novels or anything with suspense, I definitely recommend reading The Assassin Game!
Ally Watkins
Alrighty, here we go.

I loved most of this book, but there were 2 things that bugged me, and thus I docked 2 stars.

Thing 1: The narration/writing. Sometimes, first-person narration just has bits that dont ring true. In this book, I found myself furrowing my eyebrows at several turns of phrase that Cate used in her narration. Example: describing replaying a traumatic event over and over in her head as eternal gifs running through her mind. Yeah, no. No one says that. It sounded like the author
Morgan Borthwick
Sep 06, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amber
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy cow that was good.

My mind was leaping all over the place as to who the killer was, and I honestly did not see the killer coming from a mile away.
Lauren Hopkins
Jan 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
This...was...painful. It's supposed to be suspenseful but I guarantee you will know how every single thing will work out within like, the first 50 pages of the book. Seriously, the author literally tells you the exact reasoning why it's gonna happen. She spells it out for you. Boy gets burned, boy targets girl who hurt him. Shocker. It's a yawn-fest of predictability right down to the cheesy big 'battle' scene ending (think every movie that climaxes on a dark and stormy night in the middle of ...more
Katie
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
With a title like this one, I had some pretty high hopes. The Assassin Game is my first time reading a book by Kirsty McKay and while it wasnt all I had hoped for, it was enough to get me to check out some of her other books.

Pros:

Mystery: There were times when I totally thought about setting aside The Assassin Game and adding it to my short list of DNFs. I admit, there were times when I was just plain bored. Things moved at a slow pace with this one. However, I could not stop reading this one
Jesse Nicholas
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Good

I have never been so disappointed then I am with The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay. But this is the good section, so I will talk about the very few good portions of the book here.

I'll start off with the cover. The cover is what drew me into the book in the first place. The girl standing there with a mask on is really creepy! It reminds of The Purge movies. Then the title caught my attention. It is the name of the game I used to play with all my friends at night. So if The Assassin Game
Beth
So I had this on my will probably not like list and the universe said SURPRISE BITCH

This has been sitting on my shelf for ages, just collecting dust. I decided to read it to either love it or just get it out of the way once and for all. I had gotten over this type of book, or so I thought!

The atmosphere of this book was so well written, I could see it so clearly in my mind. I didn't feel like I had to make up a fake map just to understand where things were.

The characters, too, were very well
•PAM3LA• (Lit Literatures)
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Assassin Game was an interesting book.
I went into it thinking it was going to be VERY creepy, but in reality, it started out like a fun contemporary! (not that that is bad or anything) The first 3/4 feels like a normal contemporary and then the last 1/4 of the book starts to get a little more intense (however that is like most books so...) On another note, the plot is not too predictable either (in my opinion...you might be some master detective I dunno...)

Also, side note. WHY DOES THE
Veronica Morfi
I expected more from this book. I expected at least a few dead bodies, but unfortunately it did not deliver. I thought the Game will take a dark turn and it eventually did, but until that point I was pretty tired of expecting something interesting to happen. The last few chapters were good, with lots of action and tension, hence the 3 stars. The first two thirds of the book should have been shorter in my opinion.
Trisha
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
"This is Killer, and you have all been invited to play. And you should play like your life depends on it."

What a fun little addictive read. I cracked it open, thinking I'd read a hundred pages or so and just finished it in one sitting instead. It's a quick read, easy to slide into and get to know the gang of new initiates and legacy guild members a like. The school takes a minute to get to know but that becomes easy as well.

I liked all the red herrings as you tried to guess who was the Killer,
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"But that's the point: when you're sixteen you don't realize how you'll change and how the decisions you make now can alter the course of your life."

"No need to go looking for trouble, it usually finds me soon enough."

"What really interests me is the social game. It's not about brains or algorithms or studying so hard you think your mind is calcifying. Social acceptance. That's everything, isn't it? It shouldn't matter, but it does.

"We're kids, Daniel. We like to think we're on top of it all,
Kira Simion
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 entertaining and I-didn't-catch-the-killer stupendous stars!

Who: Cate is the main character, Vaughan is her partner, and other classmates.

What: There are special games in many colleges, or just places in general. This school has 1. Really young people so that's something. 2. A game called Killer. It's basically like The Assassin Game. In The Assassin Game (not the book, the actual game), people pretend to kill other people. Friends turn on friends, some hide in trash bags, a person I know
fablesandwren
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 02-stars, not-shelved
WrensReads Review:

THANK YOU SourceBooks Fire for an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I greatly appreciate the opportunity to help market your book and to also help fellow readers!

This book has an awesome idea. I wish it could be played at schools without, you know, the "too-far" that could and probably would happen.

Let me explain.

So There's this game: KILLER or ASSASSIN.

What it is: a group of kids that are trying to figure out who the "killer" is. A group of kids are
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. A Private School in Wales - Mystery. [s] 4 18 Jun 04, 2019 01:15PM
Drop Everything A...: The Assassin Game 7 56 May 02, 2018 09:06PM

• The Last to Die
  • When the Light Went Out
  • They All Fall Down
  • The Last Word
  • #Murderfunding (MurderTrending, #2)
  • The Cabin
  • Losing Faith
  • Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose
  • #Murdertrending (MurderTrending, #1)
  • The May Queen Murders
  • The Pretenders (The Similars, #2)
  • Don't Say a Word
  • Get Even (Don't Get Mad, #1)
  • You Will Be Mine