Start by marking “Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams” as Want to Read:
Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams

Org Design for Design Orgs: Building and Managing In-House Design Teams

Design has become the key link between users and today's complex and rapidly evolving digital experiences, and designers are starting to be included in strategic conversations about the products and services that enterprises ultimately deliver. This has led to companies building in-house digital/experience design teams at unprecedented rates, but many of them don't underst ...more
Published September 3rd 2016 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Org Design for Design Orgs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Org Design for Design Orgs

Kurt Yalcin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really great book! I had my own personal issues around specific parts (reliance on the Diamond Process, advocating for the Product Designer title, etc.), but as a whole, it was an awesome read.
Vuk Trifkovic
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Short, to the point and full of insight. Must read for anyone working with or building design teams...
Wilbert Baan
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book about how design in organizations works or how to make it work. Very recognizable.

Peter
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite a few good advice on a UX team setup, especially useful if a company just starting up, and has no idea what to do.
- Very good rationalization on the overall basics, like qualities of effective design organization - this could be also used by existing teams to review their status
- Felt the description of ideal team setup rather one sides.
- Maybe geared towards larger corporations and enterprises.
River Brandon
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design, for-work
Fantastic book. Such a helpful guide, full of insights, reinforces and clarifies the issues I've seen and struggled with in various jobs. Couldn't recommend it more strongly. If you work in product design, or anything related to product design, read it and share it in your org.
Davor
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a design leader on the rise or even a seasoned one, this is an indispensable guide on how design teams should be built, grown and lead. While reading it, I recognized countless examples of both good and bad practices from my own experience. I also learned a lot, both on how I could have done things better myself, as well as how I can start improving right now and in the future. It is exactly abundant experience of the authors, told with simple and easy to understand language, which is ...more
Lance Willett
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A concise and authoritative guide to organizing design teams. Just the best parts.

The key element in this book that applies to my Product Management work is understanding the Centralized Partnership model for cross-functional teams working on shared projects, yet reporting to leaders and mentors in their own function. The best of both worlds because it combines the speed and quality of embedded teams with the efficiency and consistency of a centralized function.

Bookmarked.
Zachary Frazier
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Essential reading for anyone interested in managing an effective in-house design team. The focus is less on interteam dynamics (or design thinking), and more on managing external relationships, human resources, and structuring within a larger organization. The hiring chapter makes this a great gift for your HR manager, and the focus on culture and management over buzzwords makes it actually useful for generating innovations and well designed products.
Erin Weigel
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book if you're new to leading a design team, large or small. It has lots of practical, actionable advice and observations about hiring, working with, and leading designers. I will definitely take some of the learnings from this book and apply them to my job to see how they work out.
Matt Spiel
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This book is a decent overview of the nuts and bolts for how to run a design team. It's mostly surface-level, but would provide a good starting point for anyone who finds themselves new to leading design teams. Most useful parts would be who to hire and when, different roles and functions needed inside a team, and the foundational process needed to develop projects.
Bryan Zug
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Design won… Now what?

Great practical approaches to make sure that Deign has the leadership, structural, and operational chops to take full advantage of the seat it has gained at the business leadership table. Fully recommend for design and business leaders who want to grok the advantages and structure of great design orgs.
sarah semark
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty dry overall, but it makes a great case for how to structure design within an organisation in a way that keeps designers happy, challenged, and producing their best work, with well-reasoned arguments.
Jane Sancompany
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design, organizations
I think this book could be very helpful for someone who is thinking of the best way to build design organization. The part explaining design competency framework could also be very useful is you think to start career in design. Some ideas and tips were interesting, however I guess I expected more.
Lucas
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Required read for ambitious teams

Incredibly useful advice for design organizations that are on a growth trajectory and for individuals who want to take part on leading this journey
Christine Donahue
Quick read about how to build out a design team.
Eric Brown
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ux-and-usability
If you are building a UX team into a UX department, this is a must read book for you and your leadership. Both insightful and practical, the authors do a good job of laying out a framework for maturing the UX practice at your company.
Gaz Aston
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent read for anyone interested in how to shape and lead a team. Lots of theory, but also plenty of practical things to take away.
David
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
General org design book with design twist. Skimmer for people with org design experience. Some interesting ideas like structuring by experience I.e., buyer vs. seller) then also by major process area (I.e., browse, tool, product info...).
Arganka Yahya
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impressive text with practical examples. Really useful for design leaders or someone who want to establish in-house design organization.
Jenni Ross
Robert
Jan 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“The leader’s success in this skill is not just in the development of a vision — the corporate world is littered with concept videos, detailed mockups, and other scenarios of possible futures. Their success is instead shown in how the vision catalyzes action, inspiring the people within a company to charge forward because they want to live in a world where that vision is made a reality.” 0 likes