Start by marking “This Side of Sunny” as Want to Read:
This Side of Sunny

This Side of Sunny

Like her boyfriend back in the States, 18-year-old Mela Connor is spending Spring Break by the beach. But the difference is she's spending it on an exotic island in the Philippines, where she'll spend the next six days finding her estranged mother, of whom she has no memory. In the process, Mela meets her self-appointed tour guide, Paolo, who helps Mela make amends with he ...more
ebook
Published 2015

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Sunny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Sunny

Julie Rimpula
This is a long-overdue review (Sorry, Agay!) but THIS SIDE OF SUNNY is one memorable book that I know I won't forget so easily no matter how long ago I finished the book.

Paolo and Mela's story may seem ordinary and clichéd at first, but it's actually more than a love story. It's about family, friendship, self-identity and taking chances among others. I loved Agay Llanera's VINTAGE LOVE and THIS SIDE OF SUNNY didn't disappoint. It has the same brand of wit, humor, and heart that I really liked.
Chrissie Peria
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rounded up from a 4.5

This story is a great representative for Pinoy chick lit. It's immersed in Filipino culture and yet it serves as a good window for a non-Pinoy looking in. It's impossible to not relate with Mela as she searches for her missing mom, so expect your heartstrings to be tugged as the search commences. While this is essentially Mela's story, Paolo's family issues draw us in as well. It may not be as dramatic as Mela's, but I was happy that we got to see where he's coming from.

I
Chachic
While I think it's awesome that Agay Llanera has delved into YA again, I wasn't as impressed with This Side of Sunny as I was with Choco Chip Chips. I've never been a fan of instalove and that's what happened between Mela and Paolo. I liked the idea (half-American, half-Filipino girl flying back home to the Philippines to discover more about her family... meets cute Filipino guy who helps her along the way) behind the story but it definitely could have been executed better. Still looking forward ...more
Carla Guzman
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet, heartfelt and oh so good! Agay is one of my insta-buy authors, and I'm really happy to say that this book does not disappoint! I highlighted a line about them being surrounded by the rings of Saturn...look for it if you can, and melt! Can I please go to Gumamela Island now?
Jay Tria
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Agay's work never fails to make me giddy, and This Side of Sunny is no exception. It's the perfect beach read, and I especially like how it reads like a Pinoy indie coming-of-age romcom movie.
From the first description of the fictional Gumemela Island, to the palpable chemistry between Mela and Paolo, and the building tension of Mela's quest for her missing mom--everything had me flipping through the pages, hungry for more. It's the perfect beach read, and the perfect read for any day of the yea
Ailla Magcamit
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
description
Read full review HERE! :)

First, I would like to point out how adorable the cover is! Just look at it! This beauty really captures the vibes of the book.

Moving on, I can say that the characters interested me. Mela isn't the usual sweet and shy female leads that I usually encounter. If there's a word I could describe her, it would be brave. Hopping into a plane towards a place you've never been to is brave enough. But doing so using your college funds and without an actual plan on who you'll
Lynai
Dec 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Reading this book made me want to go to the beach, dig my toes in the sand, watch the tiny waves lap at my feet, while sipping melon-mango shake. With Paolo at my side. More thoughts soon. :)

UPDATE:

What I liked the most with This Side of Sunny is the writing. I don’t know but the author’s writing style feels fresh and uncomplicated, it’s simple and straightforward. Although the plot wasn’t really new to me, I loved it that the author gave the story more depth and heart by adding themes on family
 Jera
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Such a wonderful read. So heartfelt and so kilig. It's one of those books that wouldn't just make you laugh and swoon but it would also tug your heartstrings. If you ask me what I felt after reading it I wouldn't be able to give you a concrete answer because I can't describe how I feel after reading it. I just know that it's so good and you should read it. Like seriously you should.

Isabel (Sab The Book Eater)
Review to follow!
Cassandra Javier
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a different Agay here, but I like it. Sweet, endearing, and has that hint of sexiness + hello Maja, err Mela :D. That Gumamela song is superb <3 --longer review to follow--
Bianca Mori
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Agay and this book is no exception. It has all the heart, sweetness and depth I've come to love in her work. And anytime she describes food, get ready: you are going to get HONGRAYY.
Kristin
Apr 10, 2017
Tina
Nov 30, 2015
Agay Llanera
Dec 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
HonestAl
Nov 13, 2018
mayday
Nov 22, 2018
Agay is a freelance writer for TV and print. In her spare time, she enjoys writing Romance, New Adult, and Young Adult novellas.