Start by marking “The Tigress and the Yogi” as Want to Read:
The Tigress and the Yogi

Read Book

The Tigress and the Yogi

(The Sadhana Trilogy #1)

A talking tigress. A wandering yogi. A young woman’s journey through an ancient land where chaos threatens gods and mortals alike.

A tigress speaks to the outcaste girl Mala, and she flees in terror only to collide with an old yogi. She offers him shelter, and in return he spins wondrous tales and awakens her hunger for forbidden spiritual knowledge.

Thus begins her quest fo
Published January 30th 2016 by Shelley Schanfield

To ask other readers questions about The Tigress and the Yogi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tigress and the Yogi

Kari (BookandCoffeeLover)
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. Despite a fascinating premise and a strong start, I quickly lost interest in The Tigress and the Yogi. I rarely DNF books but I found the pace so agonizingly slow that I was unable to finish it. Perhaps others will have more luck.
Karen
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The first in a trilogy. Can hardly wait for the next one!
Kate Mendeloff
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping story of a young woman who overcomes adversity only to face it again and again. Mala is presented as young, innocent and sympathetic, and then, over the course of her life's journey, we see her harden and begin to take revenge on the world that has attacked her. The characters are well drawn and the plot is very compelling. You also learn a lot about the time period and the cultural background of Buddhism.
I literally couldn't put this book down! I recommend it highly!
Megalion
The cover is completely wrong for this book. I picked it up thinking I would be reading a fantasy book. More high fantasy than urban.

Instead, it's a very well written literary fiction that is somewhat historical. It's the first book in a trilogy and the story begins with the lead up to Prince Siddhartha's transformation into the Buddha.

It's near lyrical at points as we follow the life path of a little casteless girl named Mala. Her family is at the bottom of the caste system as the unofficial 5
Elisha
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was well-written, very smooth, and easy to read story that took me to a magical place. The synopsis grabbed me even though the cover loses me. This story starts out great; pulling you in at the beginning and making you want to keep turning those pages for more. However, it did slow down a bit here and there for me which made me feel like I had to trudge slowly through the muddy boring slow parts. I did like that beginning story was more a contextual premise for the actual sto ...more
Beth
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mala is the daughter of a tanner – an outcaste girl who knows she is less-than. However, she also has a secret – the gods have spoken to her. In fact, they kept her safe as her father was killed, then when her mother was raped and murdered. As life does, hers follows a twisty path, from the young girl who was too afraid to name her mother’s killer, to a brutal killer herself…and then beyond. Woven throughout the story of Mara is that of Siddhartha, the Sakyan prince who would one day become the ...more
Lucie Paris
Love it!

It has been awhile since I've been very engrossed in a story. This one mixes Buddhism, Indian's Mythology and you eagerly turn the pages to know what will happen next.

I've really enjoyed Mala's tale even if her path is not an easy one. She has overcome a lot of pain and suffering, tried a lot of roads to be able to let go of her anger and revenche desire.
As for Kirsa, I can't wait to learn what the author has for her in store. I'm sure I will have to keep the kleenex nearby!

Well written
L. Fabry
Normally I don't like books with talking animals in them but will make an exception for T&Y. It's quite the epic tale beginning with a young girl who is as pure as the tigress makes her out to be. Her journey into becoming one of the most feared warriors in the land is quite a memorable and believable one, as is her journey to become possibly the world's greatest yogi. I was not particularly interested in delving into the great depths of the Hindu culture, but found it helped the story rathe ...more
Rachel Chiapparine
Apr 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I was blessed enough to be able to download a free ebook copy of this book from NetGally in exchange for my honest review which is as follows:

The imagery of the book is what first pulled me into the story. I personally got a bit lost and confused with a few plot points in the story and for me the main characters got lost a few times in my shock over a few of the extreme scenes. Overall I personally rate this book a 5/10.
Lace
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I wasn't really sure how much I would like this book because I don't know anything about the Buddhist culture. I actually ended up likeing it quite a bit. It really pulls you into the story and makes you feel like you are there with the characters. I had a hard time finding a good spot to put it down, so I just kept reading. I will definatly be looking for more books by this author!
Cheryl Montgomery-Nolan
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was truly fascinated by this story about a peasant girl named Mala who eventually grows up to be a bloodthirsty warrior queen. But through forgiveness and right action she learns how to transform herself back. Charming!
Nancy Reynolds
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. Definitely transports you into the time. However, to be honest, at times I had found myself a bit mired down and had to push through, while still appreciating both the story and the talent of the author.
Margaret Lansing
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great characters. Looking forward to the next book to see what's in store for Mala.
Scott Hensley
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good read. Took me to a magical place where I got lost in the book. Excellent!!
David
Sep 08, 2016
Steve Kemp
Oct 18, 2016
Shelley Schanfield
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kendal Walker
  • Wilfair
  • Hot Flashes And Half Ironmans
  • The Oys & Joys
  • Of Battles Past
  • Reds in the Beds: A Novel of Golden-Era Hollywood (Hollywood's Garden of Allah, #5)
  • The Golden Apple of Discord (The Discord Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadow of the Swords: An Epic Novel of the Crusades
  • Hand of Fire: A Novel of Briseis and the Trojan War (Trojan Threads Book 1)
  • In the Country of the Blind
  • The Parts I Remember (The Parts I Remember, #1)
  • The Pedestal
  • Fey (Tales of Silver Downs, #2)
  • Before the Sun Hits
  • Havoc Rising
  • Jane the Quene (The Seymour Saga #1)
  • A God Strolling in the Cool of the Evening
  • The Sarantine Mosaic  (The Sarantine Mosaic #1-2)
  • Old Wounds to the Heart (Whippoorwill Hollow, #2)
While pursuing a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, Shelley Schanfield became fascinated with the Buddhist roots of the martial arts. By profession a librarian, she dove into the time, place, and spiritual traditions, including yoga, that 2500 years ago produced Prince Siddhartha, who became the Buddha. The stories of the Buddha’s first women followers inspired her to write The Tigress and the Yogi, the f ...more

The Sadhana Trilogy (2 books)
  • The Mountain Goddess
“Do not perform an action for the reward it may bring. Perform it because it is right; it is dharma.” 6 likes