Start by marking “Brave the Betrayal (Everworld, #8)” as Want to Read:
Brave the Betrayal (Everworld, #8)

Brave the Betrayal

(Everworld #8)

David, Christopher, Jalil and April have a new mission, to get to Egypt to seek out the person who may be able to help fulfill their promise to the Coo-Hatch. But first they need to get through the Hetwan lines surrounding Mount Olympus and survive the African savanna. Except in this Everworld-version of an African savanna, nothing is as it seems, and a sacrifice will be ...more
Published July 1st 2000 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Brave the Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave the Betrayal

Start your review of Brave the Betrayal (Everworld, #8)
Julie
Things I liked:
- Jalil's narration, as always; his exasperation with Everworld's logic (or lack thereof). His adorable girl-related nerves in the real world. His seizing control over Senna, trying to find ways to one-up her (frankly, he's the only person who's really managed!).
- Senna continuing to be a stone-cold self-serving bitch. I probably couldn't stand it if she was with the team non-stop, but her drifting in and out of their lives keeps things interesting, because she's such an
Stephanie
From the beginning, there seems to be a clear-cut path for Jalil, April, David, Christopher, and Senna to follow: take the horses to the edge of the Greek lands, then on foot to Egyptian territory, to track down Senna’s mother. Except, by the end of this book (spoiler!) they still have not arrived in Egyptian territory. Okay, so we have the suggestion that we’ll get a solid plot arc in this book, but that is not exactly how it pans out.

Instead, we get a lot more into Jalil’s head, and his
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
The EverWorld team are on their way to look for Senna’s mother, who might be powerful enough to open a portal between EverWorld and the coo-Hatch’s home world so they can go home, rather than take over EverWorld. The group is forced to flee from the Ancient Greece part of EverWorld and travel through s mysterious African landscape where nothing is as it seems and their lives are in more danger than ever.

This book is told from Jalil’s point of view. I like to think that Jalil has matured and his
Caitlin
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was so so good. Love Jalil. Hate Senna.
Missy
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Cool upside down reversal world, where the grass is blue and the sky is green etc.
ben
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting tale dealing with African mythology which I have never studied and thus don't know the extent of fabrication and true belief, but still fun to learn something you have some understanding about such as the Greek myths which have been read too many times to count. Jalil also provides an unique perspective, probably my second favorite narrator in the series after April.
Swankivy
Aug 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Now the kids are roaming across a weird mythological version of ancient Africa, trying to avoid placating the local deities with a sacrifice. They end up in a mirror world. Ooh boy.
Erin
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
You ever have one of those moments where you simultaneously want to commend a character's courage and smack them in the back of the head for their stupidity?

On the one hand, Jalil and April's refusal to bow down to the whims of a bunch of tyrannical pagan gods is admirable, because in all honesty, the Everworld gods do not deserve the respect of mortals. Almost all of the gods we've met in this world are just a bunch of spoiled, overgrown toddlers whose sole claim to mortal worship is that they
Tommy Grooms
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brave the Betrayal (stretching the alliterative titles to a breaking point) features more Jalil, who may be the best narrator. More existential questions about the makeup of Everworld are answered and raised as the four kids make their way through Africa. For the first time the kids are not merely at the mercy of the gods, but are expected make tangible obesience, and Jalil and April find themselves unlikely allies in their stubbornness. Eshu the messenger is a creepily disinterested minor ...more
David Thomas
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series continues to deliver. This time the group enters the territory of a group of African gods, represented by the trickster god Eshu. The narrator of this volume, Jalil, refuses to make a sacrifice to appease the gods, invoking their wrath. Most of the book takes place in a bizarre backwards world, with blue clouds in a white sky and upside-down mountains shaped like Vs instead of ^.

It's worth mentioning that despite the fact that while the writing avoids swearing besides the occasional
Sandy Maguire
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yawn. Boring. Besides one scene in the real world, no plot actually progresses in this book. They weren't at Egypt when they started this book and they still aren't at Egypt when they finish. In the meantime they meet some people who all die, and waste some time dicking around with a "We're Americans rah rah!" speech that is clearly a plot hole in the service of needing ACTION TO HAPPEN.

You can comfortably skip this one without missing anything in the series.
Heather Mayle
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Arlenne
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jalil has cemented himself as my favorite character, also I did notice the beginning of Christopher's growth as character.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Kinda fun fluff, kinda... less than fun. I'm either way on this series now.
Valia
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Plot did not progress. Was a drag to read. There are four books left in the series. Hoping it will be better from here.
Kyle Carroll (i_fucking_love_books)
Maybe a 3.5...so far I feel this was the weakest in the series. The African mythology just didn't click with me as much as the other mythologies.
Stephanie
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
review coming as soon as I finish the series.
Matt
So the second third of the series ends with Jalil, as did the first one.
I like Jalil’s POVs because he’s the most analytic character so he can serve as a recap and explicitation character for the readers who aren’t quite caught up—after all, as straightforward as the plot is, Everworld is a book for teens and not all teens have the same reading/understanding abilities, so that’s pretty cool. Maybe a tad close to some of the ‘emotionless black men’ tropes, but Jalil having a full POV and
Brittney Rz.
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
We are inside Jalil's head again. This one centered on the African gods and I found it interesting because we didn't find much out about them. It makes me wonder if that is because there isn't much known about those gods and that mythology or because the author thought that many people wouldn't be a familiar with them.

This encounter showed Jalil a few things about himself. First that he is someone who needs to learn hen to stand up for something and when to back down. I am all for standing up
Amanda Orlich Ahern
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Brave the Betrayal begins with Jalil, April, Christopher and David leaving Olympus in search for Senna's mother, who may be in "Egypt", and who can possibly send the Coo-Hatch back to their own world. The book follows their journey through the Sahara desert in the Everworld-Africa. They meet an old man called Eshu, who beings as their guide but soon Jalil and the others discover Eshu is not who he appears to be.

All in all, the groups is collectively tired of dealing with Gods and demi-Gods who
Julie Decker
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Athena has sent Jalil, Christopher, David, April, and Senna into the Everworld version of Egypt to find Senna's mother so they can get out of town and avoid letting the Coo-Hatch creatures blow things up with their high school chemistry concoction of gunpowder. But when they're crossing Africa and a god appears demanding a sacrifice they refuse to undertake, the kids are sent into an upside-down mirror world as punishment. It's not going to be easy to get out of this one, and Senna isn't ...more
Melissa Bennett
Jun 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I would have to say that so far this was my least favorite book. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed it.
This books has the group leaving Olympus in order to find Senna's mom in Egypt. They must find Senna's mom so she can send the Coo Hatch back to there own world so they'll agree to quit making weapons for the Hetwan. They make it to Africa where they meet Eshu. He turns out to be a "speaker" for the African gods and claims that they must make a sacrifice to please the gods. The
Katelynn
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This one is disturbing and confusing and one of my favourites. I don't remember much of it from my first read of it fourteen years ago so it was fun/stressful going along for the ride and not knowing how it would end. Jalil is one of my favourite narrators/characters, and he definitely didn't disappoint in this one. Also, I loved reading about mythology I had absolutely no prior knowledge of - African mythology is super interesting and a little scary and I loved how much it pissed Jalil off. ...more
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
A truly brilliant take on mythology. For anyone who has ever been a fan of the religions of yore you'll be enthralled with Applegate's world of aliens and gods. My favorite series when it first came out and still one of my favorite series. The beginning of the first book is a bit difficult to get into, but once you get past that it is simply phenomenal. Applegate creates an entire world within Everworld while drawing enough from our own world so as not to entirely alienate or confuse the ...more
Paul Emily Ryan
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Review written: sometime before July 11, 2015

Brave the Betrayal by Katherine Applegate

Why I read it: Still reading Everworld.

Rating: 3/5

What I thought: Eh, it wasn’t that great. Too full of discomfiting religious talk and the weird sense that it was almost a contractually-obligated stop gap book. Bunch of cool things going on it though, I can say that much at least.
Dana
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would like this novel as much as I did simply because Jalil's narrative is rarely my favorite. However, this felt like the most complete of the Everworld books and I found the gods in this book to be extremely disturbing. Also like how as the series goes on, it gets just a tad bit darker.

Yet again, this series is impressing me for being a young adult book. I'm actually looking forward to reading the next novel.
Adam Smith
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jalil's perspective is one of the best; his intense cynicism and refusal to bow to nonsense make him interesting.

Jalil and the gang leave Olympus on a quest to find Senna's mother in Egypt. Along the way they find themselves in a primitive Africa controlled by the Higher gods and their Orishas. Refusing to bow to these gods the gang are transported to the strangely upside-down African netherworld. Will the gang be able to escape the gods' wrath before it's too late?
Greg Kerestan
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
As I powered my way through this YA fantasy series, characters like Jalil and Senna remain ciphers. Why is Jalil, an out-and-proud secular humanist with a devotion to science and rationality, so ashamed of being "outed" as OCD? It seems a bit contrived. However, the unique setting of an African underworld where all laws of nature are inverted makes up for the somewhat lackluster perspective character.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I like reading from Jalil's point of view. He sees the world, even crazy Everworld, in such a logical way. It is kind of like reading the behind the scenes of Everworld. I'm also glad that we are seeing more of Senna, I don't like her but since she caused all this, she should at least have to go throw Everworld with them.
Jody
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
The Everworld series, while fairly basic and elementary, offers such excitement that any Fantasy lover would be hard-pressed not to be drawn into its few pages. This series tells the tale of several teenagers from Earth traveling to a different plane where gods, goddesses, and legends from all of Earth's mythologies are real. Highly recommended read.

• The Captive Part II / The Power (The Secret Circle, #2-3)
  • The Fury / Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #3-4)
  • The Initiation / The Captive Part I (The Secret Circle, #1-2)
  • The Forbidden Game (The Forbidden Game, #1-3)
  • Dark Visions (Dark Visions, #1-3)
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is Going to be the Next School Shooter: 6 Patient Files That Will Keep You Up At Night
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is In Love with a Pedophile: 6 Patient Files From Prison (Dr. Harper Therapy Book 2)
  • Dreadful Young Ladies and Other Stories
  • The Water Mirror (Dark Reflections, #1)
  • The Stone Light (Dark Reflections, #2)
  • The Ugly Little Boy
  • Youth
  • Masquerade (Blue Bloods, #2)
  • Legacy (Keeper of the Lost Cities #8)
  • The Gospel According to Luke
  • One Year Home (Navy Captain John West, #2)
  • The Awakening / The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2)
  • The Rogue Knight (Five Kingdoms, #2)
Katherine Applegate is the author of The One and Only Ivan, winner of the 2013 Newbery Medal. Her novel Crenshaw spent over twenty weeks on the New York Times children's bestseller list, and her first middle-grade stand-alone novel, the award-winning Home of the Brave, continues to be included on state reading lists, summer reading lists, and class reading lists.

Katherine has written three picture

Everworld (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Search for Senna (Everworld, #1)
  • Land of Loss (Everworld, #2)
  • Enter the Enchanted (Everworld, #3)
  • Realm of the Reaper (Everworld, #4)
  • Discover the Destroyer (Everworld, #5)
  • Fear the Fantastic (Everworld, #6)
  • Gateway to the Gods (Everworld, #7)
  • Inside the Illusion (Everworld, #9)
  • Understand the Unknown (Everworld, #10)
  • Mystify the Magician (Everworld, #11)