Start by marking “The Suicide Shop” as Want to Read:
The Suicide Shop

The Suicide Shop

Has your life been a failure? Let's make your death a success With the twenty-first century just a distant memory and the world in environmental chaos, many people have lost the will to live. And business is brisk at The Suicide Shop. Run by the Tuvache family for generations, the shop offers an amazing variety of ways to end it all, with something to fit every budget. The ...more
Published July 2nd 2008 by Gallic Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Suicide Shop, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kristen Harrington
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Idarah
Apr 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
"Too many people do an amateurish job. You know, out of a hundred and fifty thousand people who make the attempt, one hundred and thirty-eight thousand fail. These people often find themselves disabled in wheelchairs, disfigured for life, but with us … Our suicides are guaranteed. Death or your money back!" –Mishima Tuvache

I don't usually venture into books that I'm not sure I'll like. Probably close minded of me, but there are so many books that I know I will like and not nearly enough time to
Kortessa
Oct 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
The Suicide Shop is the first book of black humour I bought (unfortunately bought). I really wanted to like it because I could not imagine how comedy and morbidity can be combined. I really tried to. I read, and read trying to find something to attract me and keep my interest alive, but unfortunately something like that never happened:-(...
Deapite the fact that it was a pretty short book I struggled to finish it.
Through the story we follow a family in their small bussiness which is one that he
R K
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75

This book will be hard to discuss without going into spoilers but I'll do my best.

We are many years into the future. The world is a complete wreck. Climate change has ruined he environment. It rains sulfuric acid. Countries are ready to start wars at the drop of a pin. Every single culture and religion has meshed into one diagnostic thing that's not questioned. The currency system is also meshed together. People don't seem to do much. And suicide is abundant.

In comes the Tuvache family and
D.J.
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Suicide Shop by Jean Teule and published by Gallic Books. I first read about it on Scott Pack's blog. Consumed with jealousy over the cleverness of the title, I jumped at the opportunity to review it, hoping to find it was nothing more than a clever title.

It arrived on my doorstep as a spiral bound manuscript. I spent several Aspie moments delighting over how it opened out flat without the usual struggle to break the spine of the book...before I forced myself to stop digressing and got on wi
Luís C.
This short novel is a hilarity all by itself. The title alone suggests that this story can only be "barred". And this is indeed the case. Mr. and Mrs. Tuvache have 3 children, and hold a shop, which has the distinction of selling utensils only to commit suicide. But as a misfortune never arrives alone, gaiety will come knocking on the door of this unusual store ... mortals. The character of each member of the family is not left to chance for our greatest happiness.
Armina
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly an average book, however, what an ending..!
Ana
I'm not sure if I have a problem with the writing style or the translation, but one thing is clear: the humor fell a little flat for me. With a book like this, where there is linear plot and character growth, language matters. But, what can you do?! This book was a fast read so it was okay.
David Katzman
Mar 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Abandoned. I like a good anti-humanist, Gothic satire every once in a while. But this was cruel without being funny. It was like The Adams Family plus emotional child abuse. I'm sure it "turns around" by the end, and everyone learns a good lesson. But no. Fuck this noise.
Bianca
HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN A FAILURE? LET'S MAKE YOUR DEATH A SUCCESS!

The Suicide Shop can help you achieve, well, a good suicide. The Suicide Shop is owned and operated by the Touvache family; the head of the family is Mishima Touvache and his wife is Lucrece Tuvache. They have three children: Vincent is anorexic and suffers from migraines; Marylin is boring, dreary and totally unappealing. And then, there's Alan, the cherubic, smiley, blond boy, who was the result of his parents testing a condom wit
Kristina
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Suicide Shop is an original, highly inventive, darkly humorous story. I can't remember the last time I read such an offbeat book. I may need to read it again because the surprise ending really caught me off guard. Altogether it's a quick but enjoyable read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Gallic Books for a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
Colin McKay Miller
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Colin by: Author Craig Wallwork
Most black comedies follow seedy individuals. Often times, the protagonist will have an epiphany (catalyzed by falling in love, discovering family and/or an increasing disenchantment with their seedy behavior) and will begin to change, even if the world they’ve lived in for so long won’t let them. Jean Teule’s The Suicide Shop, however, is a unique and delightful take on black comedy; dropping a hopeful individual into a world gone sour.

At the end of the twenty-first century, the world is in in
khungkhing
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to khungkhing by: Purepill Iscute
Shelves: favorite, comedy
I decided to read this book because someone told me that if I love Adams Family and Tim Burton, I shouldn't miss "The Suicide Shop."

'Has your life been a failure? Let's make your death a success.'

Jean Teulé is introduced me to the strangest family that seems to pop out of the Tim Burton film, Tuvache Family. This family runs the business names The Suicide Shop. The shop offers an amazing variety of ways to end your misery life, with something to fit every budget. The Tuvaches goes mournfully abo
Joana Eyre
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adaptações
"Alan! How many more times do I have to tell you? We do not say “see you soon” to customers when they leave our shop. We say “goodbye”, because they won’t be coming back, ever."

"Daddy, inthtead of moaning about the dark, why not turn on the light?"

"Look at her, this person in front of you. Look at her. Don't be ashamed of her. If you met her in the street, would you want to kill her? What has she done to be hated so much?"
Craig Wallwork
Jul 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jean Teule has created a sublime and satirical look at the dynamics of family life set against the backcloth of mortality. Balancing precariously on the precipice of life, the desperate and lonely folk of Teule’s future world seek a means to end their pathetic lives, and find it within a small shop aptly titled, The Suicide shop. Having been in the Tuvache family for generations, morose and embittered father Mishima, and his dutiful and equally morbid wife Lucrece, have forged a business designe ...more
John
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
In some kind of post-apocalyptic future (it's never fully depicted; all we have are occasional allusions) the seemingly irremediably morose Tuvache family runs the Suicide Shop, where people can go to purchase the necessary equipment -- ropes, razor blades, poisons, etc. -- with which to bump themselves off. The only fly in their ointment is the youngest child, Alan (named for celebrated suicide Alan Turing), who's unfailingly, infectiously cheery. Thanks to the pernicious influence of Alan -- b ...more
GUD Magazine
The Tuvaches, a sort of working class Addams Family, operate The Suicide Shop--a shop where anyone can purchase the equipment and/or training required to off themselves (though children can only purchase sweets that have a 50% chance of killing them).

The story is set some time after North America has been laid to waste by the Big One--but for the most part it could pass as contemporary, with the odd bit of future tech: holographic greeting cards; a solution that turn one's kiss poisonous to othe
Kirsty
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have been wanting to read Teule’s books for quite a while, and haven’t come across any physical copies of them to date. When I spotted The Suicide Shop on Netgalley, therefore, it seemed fated that this was the Teule which I would begin my foray into his work with. The novella - for that is what the book essentially is - has been well written and well translated.

Throughout, Teule works with an incredibly simple yet clever concept, the like of which I have not come across in fiction before. The
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
If Edward Gorey and Tim Burton collaborated on a book it would be this. This book is funny, charming, sweet, I just can't recommend it enough.
Pia
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In a not so distant future, where religions are all mixed into one and smiling is not a normal thing, the Tuvache family owns a suicide shop. That is, a shop full of artifacts to aid the general and depressed public in ending their life swiftly and safely.

The family is composed of Mishima, the father, Lucrèce the mother, Marilyn the daughter and Alan and Vincent, the sons. Perfect names for their profession.

But Alan, the youngest is not normal. He smiles, he sees life as beautiful and in a subtl
Regina / cà rốt và thỏ
so. freaking. good. kill. me. please. oh. wait. no.
Victoria Calo
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short Version of the Review
4 stars out of 5 for:
- honest-to-goodness narrative
- effective and efficient and, most importantly, entertaining writing
- interesting spin on showing our way of thinking
- consistently amusing and quirky characters

(-1) star for:
- lacking impact and gravity in moments that should have been poignant
- slight predictability
- that goddamn ending

Long Version of the Review
I read the English translation of the book.

The world is hopeless, and its inhabitants even more. No wo
Horus
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-comedy
HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN A FAILURE? LET'S MAKE YOUR DEATH A SUCCESS!

"Our suicides are guaranteed. Death or your money back!"

"And anyway, as I always say, you only die once, so it ought to be an unforgettable moment"

"even if you don't make a deep enough cut, you will get tetanus"

"Because life isn't worth the trouble of living"

Poisons, noose, seppuku, razorblade, napalm and the list goes on and on. who would have ever thought that all these tools of death would sound amusing? In this dark comedy which t
L
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edel
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This one of the most funny books I have read in a very long time. Full of dark wit, so rich and morbid that choosing death in this town could almost be enjoyable.

Step up folks!!!!
Has life been a bit of a let down?
Has optimism ,and a sunny demeanor been vacant from your life for some time?
You need "The Suicide Shop" , here is a morbid candy-shop for those who wish to be dead .
The shop is run by the Tuvache family ,and they run it well . They are always coming up with new and more imaginative way
Elisa
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You can also find this review on my blog: http://liisadventuresinbookland.blogs...

I first saw this book on a bookstore's website and I got immediately interested. Having a sort of morbid kind of humor, also referred to as dark humor, I thought this was my kind of book.

Once I started reading in, I became immediately emersed in the book. It was funny and incredibly entertaining to see how the Tuvache family dealt with little Alan who insisted on being the happiest person in the world.

Little Alan T
Twiggy VG
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Most dystopian fiction focuses on an autocratic administration or general moral degradation. This little treasure is different - it looks at the misery of human beings, where all hope is absent and what people are left with is sorrow, pessimism and apathy. The humankind is reduced to a giant emotional void.

But then there is Alan - a young boy, a desert rose, an aberration - but enough to bring to his universe the joy of love and a zest for life.

The narration is disjointed in parts and the book
Michelle Keill
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
Fantastic concept and brilliantly executed (so to speak). Some fantastic dark humour, but underlying it all, as ever with much French literature, is a deeper existential question. It could've been cheesy and all gone a bit Tom Hanks, but the end - oh the end! I am still thinking about this book now... If only all authors were this bold, and indeed allowed by their publishers and the 'industry' to flex their imaginations in this way. If writing and reading has a deeper existential question to ask ...more
Heather
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Well, I was going to give this 4 stars, until those last three words. The story was unique and it was definitely a nice change of pace for me, but I felt like the ending was a huge cop-out. I almost want to give it two stars now, but I'll be generous and go with 3. I feel like if you like French farce and Lars von Trier movies (he likes cop-out ending too), then you might like this one.

**I received this copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Hilary
Jul 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, to, oxfam, it, goes
This is yet another foreign language title that reads as if it had been translated using Babelfish: flat, humourless, and entirely lacking in nuance. I should like to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume that it reads better in the original, but as the entire novel is pretty much a one-note joke and ends with an ironic twist of a punchline that I guarantee any reader will see coming from page one, I suspect it probably doesn't.
F
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france
Accidently read thinking it was an adults books but it was a YA and I am not used to this type. The book was a decent read with an original storyline. Short read, very unusual and witty :)
Eyes wide open: Jean Teulé: The Suicide Shop 6 25 Apr 19, 2013 08:23AM

• Carnages
  • The Man with the Lead Stomach
  • Îmblânzitorul apelor
  • Femmes de dictateur
  • Les Chemins de Katmandou
  • L'assassin du roi (L'assassin royal, #2)
  • nymphette_dark99 (nymphette_dark99 #1)
  • 03
  • Pourvu que les bouddhistes se trompent (Blast #4)
  • Le mystère des dieux (Cycle des dieux #3)
  • L'étranger
  • Sepeda Merah Vol. 2: Bunga-Bunga Hollyhock
  • Quai d'Orsay. Chroniques diplomatiques, tome 2
  • La grammaire est une chanson douce (Plaisirs secrets de la grammaire #1)
  • Aama, 3: El desierto de los espejos (Aâma #3)
  • Control Freaks (Zombillénium #3)
  • Come prima
  • Luisito: Una storia d'amore
Jean Teulé est un romancier français, qui a également pratiqué la bande dessinée, le cinéma et la télévision.

Auteur de bande dessinée dans un premier temps, il a débuté à la télévision dans L'assiette anglaise de Bernard Rapp ou Nulle part ailleurs sur Canal+.

Homme de télévision, scénariste, comédien, cinéaste, il est avant tout écrivain. Ayant abandonné toute autre activité, il se consacre désorm
“HAS YOUR LIFE BEEN A FAILURE? LET’S MAKE YOUR DEATH A SUCCESS!” 27 likes
“Alan! How many more times do I have to tell you? We do not say “see you soon” to customers when they leave our shop. We say “goodbye”, because they won’t be coming back, ever. When will you get that into your thick head?” 19 likes