Start by marking “Seek” as Want to Read:
Seek

Seek

Assigned to write his autobiography, high school senior Rob Radkovitz decides to "listen" back on his life. As he remembers the voices of his younger self, his quirky family, and his closest friends, one stands apart -- the haunting voice of his long-absent father, left behind on a single tape from one of his radio shows.
Told in a collage of past and present voices, Seek
Published March 1st 2003 by Simon Pulse (first published August 14th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Seek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seek

Walter
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: high school students
On September 14, 2001, at the Sonoma County Library in Santa Rosa, I adapted and directed the world premiere of this work, a radio play in novel form. We performed it as a radio play in front of a live audience, a collaboration between the local Sonoma County NPR affiliate and the Central Santa Rosa branch of the Sonoma County PL. One of Fleischman's richest and most demanding works, it screams to be performed and not left on the page. It was a glorious experience--the author was in attendance-- ...more
Melissa
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Liz
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it
An interesting book about a boy's coming of age and his search through the airwaves for his absent DJ father, Lenny. This book was unique in that it was written to sound/read like a radio drama. It would be great adapted for a stage performance!

I liked Seek for it’s groundbreaking format—the radio drama—because it gave a theatrical and technological twist to what could have been a more dark and depressing story. I thought the author conveyed Rob’s feelings and frustrations well in an interwoven
Kyle Weiscopf
Sep 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
So in my introduction i think Seek is a good book because
it starts off with ''high school senior Rob Radkovitz. which he decides
to ''ĺisten''back on his old life''. Also it talks about alot of
radio announcers in this story. Secondly another reason i love this
story it is very exciting like at one point i wanted to know more on
what happened to Rob in this story. More characters are Boy Rob
and Robs Grandfather. So overall i really enjoy reading this book
it is very amazing.
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Rob is required to write his autobiography for school, but his life has always been about sounds. He decides to create an audio experience using the people he loves, radio clips, audiobook clips, poems, and other miscellenous audio to tell his story. Rob's father left around the time he was born. His dad never wanted a child, but Rob's mother wanted him dearly. Rob's mother and grandparents have raised him with all the love, but even with their love he must confront these issues he has with neve ...more
Diane
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Rob lives with his mother and grandparents, but has never met his father. All he had of his father's is a sound effects record and a tape of his Golden Oldies radio show. Rob is determined to catch a glimpse of his father on the radio, so he stays up at night searching the airwaves: first with a regular radio, then a ham and then a shortwave radio.
Elena
This ended up being a bizarrely personal read for me. I say "bizarrely" because in the usual way of things, this is precisely the kind of book I least enjoy reading: experimental style that causes distance from the characters, boring old mainstream fiction (I tend to prefer fantasy), not much of a plot, no action to speak of. Nevertheless, my reading experience was so personal, in fact, that what follows is hardly even a review, but more an explorations of my own past and how it intertwined with ...more
Jo
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
So, I read this once years ago and liked it, but I forgot what it was called. I happened upon this copy in my local used book shop for $1, so I pounced all over that, though I didn't remember that this was the book. The part that stuck with me most was the little bit where Rob's mom says that Lenny could take the hum of an airplane's engine and make a whole little ditty out of it, with the engine as the drone. I thought that was so cool. But I remembered all the radio stuff, too. I'd get to talk ...more
Becky
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-and-ya
This coming-of-age story is written in the form of a radio script, sound effects and all. The main character, Rob, is a radio junkie by way of his absent father, who is a DJ. When Rob's father left, he left behind a sound-effects album and a recording of his own radio show. Young Rob plays both recordings obsessively, and eventually becomes obsessed with broadcasting as well, starting with novelty shows that can only be heard within his own house, but progressing to his own pirate station.

Throug
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 22, 2010 rated it liked it
2007 audio book review:

This book was about a boy that had to write an autobiography for school, and that's what the book was. However, this was almost meant to be an audio book instead of a real book, because the whole theme of the book was radio clips and sounds, clips of voices and conversations, interviews, etc. This was because the boy's father had left him when he was just a baby, but he was a radio dj, and he left the boy some recordings of his show when he left. The boy was obsessed with
Hilary
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grad-class
It's the day for reader's theater! Fleischman always does such smart stuff that takes on multiple characters or perspectives and winds it together in a clean, neat way. Seek was no exception. At first, the overlapping, layered, multiple voices format was confusing--there are just so many characters--but I quickly got the hang of it. It's a coming of age, reflective, boy's search for meaning kind of story, filled with wacky people like his Marx loving grandfather, yoga doing stepdad, baseball ann ...more
Alison
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-631
Desmond Dean
Nov 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was not the best book I have ever read. The reason I didn't like this particular book was I got lost in about the middle of the book start really bad and then it started to talk about his mom and it really didn't make any sense at all. I also didn't like how the Author wrote the book it was like he tried to make the book a very long play for the reader which I hated that's another thing that might have made lose what is happening. If you are thinking about reading this book I highly advise ...more
Barbara
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Seek was an interesting novel. I actually had to read it twice. It's written in the form of a play and there is alot of dialogue between the characters. Characters? There were a plenty... all very interesting, especially the main character's family. The mom in the story was pretty interesting because she, throughout the book, would speak in both Spanish and French... I understood what she was saying. I wouldn't mind reading over again.
EAL
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic
Paul Fleischman likes unique formats, doesn't he? In this book, the "unique format" felt rather choppy in the beginning, but after the first few pages it evened out. I don't have much familiarity with radio, yet the portrayal felt accessible. Themes of family and "finding yourself," so easily overdone, were elegantly handled; I found the resolution satisfying rather than saccharine. Perhaps the message is "honor the past but know when to move on."
Mara
Jul 13, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults/Librarians/Teachers/Parents
Style reminded me a little of Other Electricities, as it's an ongoing dialogue/narrative written almost like a play. Unique means to portray the windy road traveled by a creative boy who grows to a young man in a vibrant family missing only a father. I like the idea of using air waves as a means to search the limits of space for what we think we're missing. Good read.
Marianne
This book is absolutely incredible...when I read it, I found it somewhat hard to follow -- I can't read plays very well, either -- but listening to it was awesome. I highly recommend it to anyone with a young boy in their life -- yes, Marianne, you did just make a gender specific recommendation -- there is something about it, I think, that speaks very specifically to boys, and their fathers.
Cat Fithian
Lots of noise in this recording. Some of the acting is great, some of it is, sadly, mediocre. I found the mix-up to be more distracting than entertaining. Perhaps it's better as a book you read, but as an audio it was challenging. That said, I admire the journey this young man travels while searching for his dad.
Keith
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio book of Seek and I imagine I got a whole different experience than people who read the book. With all of the audio memories that pop up it really gives for a unique listening experience. There isn't a whole lot to the story, but that's ok. It's the world that you enter and the search for emotional connection that makes the journey worthwhile.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: play, juvenile, fiction, teen
I really enjoyed the cacophony of "sounds" in this radio play-styled book. I didn't get into the audio as much, because some of the voices didn't sound "right" or the way they did in my head- the Spanish soap opera star especially. I did love the feel of the book and how it contributed to to the protagonist's quest. I think it would be a lot of fun as a read aloud.
Mary Ann
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Assigned to write about memories this high school student writes an autobiography of his life of being abandoned by his father before he was born, and the subsequent search for that missing father. Written in a format that can be used in a 'reader's theater' setting the author uses a multitude of characters to tell this story.
Sandy
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
The radio show / stage format took a little getting used to, but in the end I greatly enjoyed it. Rob's evolution in his quest to find his father, and then simply share his own voice, was really interesting given that it was done though his fairly unique interest in the radio.
Chance K
Mar 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: realistic
I gave it two stars because it did not make much sense. It was mostly about a radeo stason that they lisined to all the time. Robert is assigned to write a autobiography. He lisined to the radeo and remenberd some of the good times he had. But i dont think this book is very good.
Tiana
May 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was so hoping that this would be better, since I really love so much of Fleischman's other books. And the premise was good, and the way he played with sounds had a lot of potential, but I just didn't feel like the execution was quite right.
Luke
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is a decent book i recommend this book to thoughs who like back in the day times such as all radios no tv as well as a type of mystery he wants to go on a search does he find him? Personally i don't think the book was really for me i got lost quite easy but it was alright.
Suzanne Hamilton
Dec 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I was hoping that this small book would be a good choice for a reluctant reader, but it.isn't. Although it is short, the structure - vignettes of voices, radio clips, diary entries, poetry - makes it a complex read.
Jenny
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic, teen
A teen's autobiography unfolds through a collection of sounds and voices. Rob's father left when he was a baby, and his life has been spent looking for him as a DJ on radio. Rob struggles to accept his father's choice and himself through the airwaves.
Betsy
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
What a quick read! YA lit--written as a radio script. Nothing objectionable--a fun read.

Rob has never known his father, but he shares his father's love for radio. In English class, Rob is assigned to write his autobiography and writes it as a radio script.

Tina
Oct 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
A unique and clever use of sounds and voices to create a picture of a boy's life.

"If a picture is worth a thousand words, than a voice is worth a thousand pictures." (I think that is how it goes."

If you like this one, another of Fleischman's stories "Seedfolks" is also interesting.
Theresa
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like Mr. Fleischman's interesting formats. I think that is why I am drawn to his stories. This one seemed a bit choppy at first but after a while the reader gets used to it and it flows better. This isn't my favorite of his stories but I liked it.
  • Damage
  • Who Was First?: Discovering the Americas
  • The Braid
  • Dead Ringer
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
Paul Fleischman grew up in Santa Monica, California. The son of well-known children's novelist Sid Fleischman, Paul was in the unique position of having his famous father's books read out loud to him by the author as they were being written. This experience continued throughout his childhood.
Paul followed in his father's footsteps as an author of books for young readers, and in 1982 he released
“A picture tells a thousand words. But you get a thousand pictures from someone's voice.” 9 likes
“Radio listeners are voyeurs: lurking, invisible, eavesdropping.” 0 likes