Start by marking “Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness, #2)

Dark Defender (Paladins of Darkness #2)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  2,902 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Alexis Morgan continues her dazzling paranormal series about larger-than-life warriors and the women they love....

As a Paladin warrior, Blake Trahern fights and dies again and again to keep mankind safe from the Others. Sensing his humanity slipping away with each battle, he retreats from the world...until the one person who still has a claim on his soul needs his help.
Published November 28th 2006 by Pocket Star (first published November 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Defender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Defender

valee
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving this series!This book actually got to get into my top 100 shelf! I enjoyed every page.

I adore the world building the most. I promise you will find it totally creative and entertaining. We have the world of the Paladins, warriors born from an alien father and a human mother. They look human but have some amazing new features, like being able to come back every time they die. Much more about them is explained in the series but I don't wanna write about this as you can find out about it read
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I forgot I had this series in my tbr pile, but recently found a mo to read the next one…

Blake Trahern is a Paladin warrior. He and his kind protect the fault lines where mankinds’ fiercest enemy has the potential to sneak through from another dimension. An enemy mankind is completely unaware of because of the Paladins.

But that’s changing as more and more are slipping through, and apparently someone on our side is helping.

But all that is secondary to the fact that the man he once called father wa
Umaiya ⚡A Far Off Memory⚡

So this one was just okayy...
I don't know but I expect more from the "tortured" "on-the-brink" heroes than from the cookie cutter ones like Devlin. So I was hugely disappointed cause Blake just didn't live up to his reputation.
And Brenna...wth?!
I truly expected her to have a brain and not be the total moron that she was. -__-
Shitty h.

This is probably/most likely the last book I read from the series, totally lost my zing.
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal romance fans
I enjoyed this book even more than the last in the Paladin series. Everything was fleshed out more and there weren't as many spots that needed some editing.

I loved Blake, he was wonderful, and I liked Brenna too, after she got over her having to argue over every little thing in the beginning of the book. I get that people grieve differently and it took her a time for the death of her father to hit her, but I do not like romances where the heroine argues against everything the hero asks (or somet
Heather
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Ok first let me say I really give this book 3.5 stars. I didnt enjoy it quite as much as the first book in the series, and Im not quite sure why...

I really love Blake and I think he is definitely a sexy alpha male... but I think Brenna got to me after a while. She is super smart and beautiful, but she constantly fights Blake and her attraction to him. Now, I know that some resistance makes a good story, dont get me wrong. I just thought that it got a little old after a while.

Then, the story lin
L.S. Fayne
May 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was almost the same as book one, Dark Protector. If the characters had the same names, I wouldn’t know I was reading a different book. Even the “surprise” ending was the same.
The author made a point of telling us that Brenna was very smart, so why did she do such stupid things, and act so childish?

The sex scenes were so 70’s, the kind I read from Harlequin novels at age 12. I read one excerpt out loud to my husband. We laughed a lot, especially the line that said, “Nothing and no one h
Laurie Garrison
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is full of emotions, betrayal, kidnapping, passion and a risk of two hearts. A very good read, one would fall in love with Blake alone, he is a hot warrior that wants to keep one woman safe. Brenna is really good although, she kind of gets on ones nerves at first with all the questions, but remember she has been through a lot, she quits that going into the middle of the book.

This book also make’s clear what’s going on between the Paladin and the Others, it’s really explained well with
Laura the Highland Hussy
Blake was great! I like how we got a bit more on the regent and the plot to kill the paladins. This series has a certain something that just grabs you, and I definitely want to keep up with the series.
Tracy
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hard core PNR fans forgiving of technical issues.
I'm not going to spend a lot of time going on and on about what I liked about Blake and Brenna's story in the second book of the Paladins of Darkness series, but I will say a few things. I thought the relationship between them was a little more developed and interesting than the one between Devlin and Laurel in Dark Protector. Part of that was the simple fact that there was more time for Brenna and Blake to be together, as there wasn't the need for the world-building and mythos setup that there ...more
Tania Godoy
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Este me gusto un poco mas, sin embargo mucho instalove, y poca profundidad en los personajes, no se sabe nada de los otros. Las escenas de sexo, digamos que están muy regular.

No se que esperar.
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pnr
I love this series. The Paladins are special race, a mixture of human and "others", able to heal faster, die and be revived and fight to protect out world from the "Others" that wish to cross over into it.

In many PNR an "Other" may be considered a shapeshifter or Vampire, but in this book that is not the case.
Deep with in the earths crust, there is a protal or break between two worlds that the Paladins guard. From the Other side come a different kind of being. Fom a world without light.

Our main
Christel
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal romance readers
Shelves: alexis-morgan
Finished the 1st and had to read the second. This is a continuation of the Paladins of Darkness series.

Blake Trahern is a Paladin, a seriously deadly one at that. Major ALPHA-MALE here ladies. He is part of the Seattle group of Paladins but travels home to the St. Louis area to investigate his patrons murder.

Brenna is the daughter of Blakes patron, Judge Nichols. Judge Nichols was murdered by a car bomb that injured Brenna. Brenna has been in love with Blake for many years but he disappeared 12
Panichaya
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was gonna give it a 3, but it was because of the laast 30 or 40 pages or so that increased the rating.

I gotta say, while I enjoyed this book very much, I had a very difficult time turning the pages. It doesn't keep me interested for long...I don't know where to point out...but it lacked something.

Blake was my favorite(so far)...but Brenna annoyed me so, so much in the beginning to the point where I can't even like her later on in the book when she had come to her senses.

Another thing is, Jarvi
Erin Robbins
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance Fans
One of the best new series I have found in a while. The premis is very original and not a copy of so many others out there.

As with many other paranormal romance series this book, the second in the series, is used to further build on the mystery within the overall series while solving a small piece of the puzzle. Morgan leaves you wanting more and needing to know what will happen next.

I think my favorite part of the series is there are several mysteries going on at once:
-Why do the Paladins go
Catherine
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. The hero and heroine knew each other when they were kids so they had a nice history that made it easy to jump into their romance together. They both complimented each other well and despite all his rough edges (or maybe even because of them) the hero made for a great character. I liked getting more into the Paladin world and seeing a different base with new people. I also am glad the author gave the reader more information on the Regents and their position in the Paladin ...more
Cindy
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Was totally involved with this one from the start. Can't believe I'm done already. Can't wait to start the next one. HIGHLY recommended series.
Rob
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the book started slow, once the book picked up speed I really enjoyed it.
Melissa
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little more back story is revealed, but not nearly enough. Good to learn Trahern's story as we dig deeper into the mystery plaguing the Paladins.
Alejandra
Amanda Hamilton
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: girl-stuff
Connie book #2

Yay, another hot n' heavy paranormal romance with varying degrees of both.

How did it stack up? Mnnnneh I dunno. The paranormal aspect doesn't seem fleshed out very well. I mean, I could sort of understand the mythology and world building but I really don't get it. Not to sound like a fuddy duddy or somebody with no imagination whatsoever but why go through all these lengths to create this race but only give the males this heightened sense of blood lust/code of honor/battle readine
Lauren
Dark Defender
4 Stars

Synopsis:
As a Paladin, Blake Trahern fights and dies over and over in the battle against the Others who threaten to invade our world. Now he finds himself reunited with a woman from his past and swears to protect her against a traitor among the Paladins but will he be able to save her and himself when the time comes.

Review:
A solid continuation of the series. Morgan’s writing and dialogue is smooth but her world building is still lacking sufficient detail to completely flesh i
Ana T.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2013
I was interested enough in the first book in this series to get this one but I have to confess this didn't hold my attention as much as the first one. The main chracter here is Blake Trahern. In the first book he is almost losing his humanity and both Laurel and Bane are worried about him. Now he must discover who killed his former mentor, and one of the Regents, Judge Nichols, while he also protects Nichols's daughter Brenna against the same killer and discovers what the Judge was investigating ...more
Honey
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the story of Blake Trahern, Paladin who was introduced in the previous book. Blake is one of the warrior Paladins, they fight to protect our world from the Others. The Others live on the other side of the barrier which separates our world from theirs. Activities such as earthquakes, volcanoes, etc bring the barrier down and the role of the Paladins is to fight of the Others whilst the try to bring the barrier back up. When they die in the fight they are resuscitated by their Handlers. As ...more
Theresa
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trahern’s story.

I knew he needed a woman to keep him from going under and Brenna is perfect for him. I like how she keeps fighting him for him, not letting anyone keep her away.

I just can’t believe that with all the interaction between the paladins and the outside world that the public haven’t figured out that these huge, aggressive men might be part of something odd. After all Seattle is just one city and these guys are supposed to be all over. And they definitely don’t try to control themselv
Sheryl
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the Paladin series and it was just as enjoyable as the first. I do wish that the underlying story of the corruption had progressed further than it did, but otherwise I was very hapy with the book. As in the first book, the hero and heroine of this one knew each other before the story begins, thus eliminating a lot of the "getting to know each other" parts you have in most romances. While this might make some readers might feel like something is "missing", I did not fee ...more
Lisa M
May 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid 4 stars. I liked Dark Defender better than Dark Protector because we learned a little bit more about how the Paladins came to be. Still, there's a lot of suspension of disbelief required. Blake Trahern was more difficult to like than Devlin Bane, but I liked the love story between Blake and Brenna anyway. I recommend the series with reservations. That said, I'm going to read the third book, In Darkness Reborn.
Sarah Bellum
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love her characters and her snarky sense of humor. I have a hard time not giggling out loud.

I have to say out of the entire series, this one is my favorite. I've actually read it four times, but the series only twice. I could read a whole series about just Blake and Brenna.

The books are quick reads, but I did still have nights where I had to tell myself, 'Look, you need sleep. The last fifty pages can wait.'

I've actually just finished the series. So maybe I'm sensitive to this, not sure, but
E.
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Brenna Nichols has no idea why her father the judge was murdered until Blake Trahern comes back into her life with fantastical explanations about Paladins and Others. Blake is no longer the rebellious youngster that the judge took into his household but has lived up to his potential and helps protect Earth against the invasion by the Others whose DNA allows Paladins to revive after death although each experience pushes the Paladin closer to the mindless rage of the Others. Brenna allows Blake to ...more
Kelly
Dec 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007, paranormal, series
I loved the first in the Paladin series, but this one started slowly. Since this is the second in the series, most of the back story has already been explained, so this one had to depend solely on the mystery and romance of this story. It doesn't fall completely flat, but I'm hoping the next is better.
Brenna's father, the judge, is killed when a bomb is placed in his car, and Brenna saw it happen. She wakes in the hospital to the sound of a voice she hasn't heard in 15 years. Blake Trahern lived
  • Atlantis Unleashed (Warriors of Poseidon,  #3)
  • Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2)
  • The Gathering (Immortals, #4)
  • Bound by Light (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #3)
  • Master of the Moon (Mageverse #2)
  • The Awakening (Immortals, #3)
  • Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2)
  • Winter Kiss (The Dragonfire Novels, #4)
  • Possess Me at Midnight (Doomsday Brethren, #3)
  • The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)
Alexis Morgan grew up near St. Louis and received a B.A. in English from the University of Missouri-St. Louis. She and her husband have made the Pacific Northwest their home for more than thirty years, where she launched her career as a writer. She is published in paranormal romance, fantasy romance, American West historicals, and most recently, contemporary romances with her new Snowberry Creek s ...more
More about Alexis Morgan

Paladins of Darkness (9 books)
  • Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness, #1)
  • In Darkness Reborn (Paladins of Darkness, #3)
  • Redeemed in Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #4)
  • Darkness Unknown (Paladins of Darkness, #5)
  • Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #6)
  • Bound by Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #7)
  • The Darkness Beyond (Paladins of Darkness, #8)
  • Darkness on Fire (Paladins of Darkness, #9)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)