Start by marking “Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)

Cycle of Hatred

(World of Warcraft #1)

Cycle of Hatred
Edição econômica, 272 pages
Published February 1st 2006 by Pocket Star (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cycle of Hatred, please sign up.
Vitor Santos Same here! I got a couple of Warcraft books a few years back and finally got around to read them. The Warcraft Archive and the War of the Ancients Tri…moreSame here! I got a couple of Warcraft books a few years back and finally got around to read them. The Warcraft Archive and the War of the Ancients Trilogy. Apparently, in chronological order, this one is next, and it's out of print! There's some hope, as blizzard has been reprinting some warcraft books in the past 3 years, under the banner of Blizzard Legends, so we might see this one be published again. Three books have already been republished in 2019, the "day of the dragon" novel, "curse of the worgen" graphic novel and "Arthas: rise of the lich King" novel.

Also, apparently the books I got a few years back are also out of print and are more expensive now as well, I guess I was lucky to buy them way back then.(less)

Start your review of Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Cycle of Hatred (World of Warcraft #1), Keith R.A. DeCandido

Cycle of Hatred describes the relations between Theramore and Durotar, and of their rulers Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall, with a plot hatched by a demon to spice things up.

The Burning Legion has been defeated, and eastern regions of Kalimdor are now shared by two nations: the orcs of Durotar, led by their noble Warchief, Thrall; and the humans of Theramore, led by one of the most powerful mages alive -- Lady Jaina Proudmoore.

But the tent
Markus
Feb 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, warcraft

This one did a better job than any of the others of actually leading readers/players into the game. So I would probably recommend this one as a go-to book for people who are new to this universe.

I'm positively surprised.
belle ✨
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
As a WoW player myself, the best part of this book for me was just being in the world. What lets Cycle of Hatred down is the writing and story...which are pretty important in a book. The writing was kind of boring and a strange mix between high-fantasy and really modern witticisms/slang/etc. The WoW game itself mixes the two as well, but it just felt like the author of the book couldn't figure out the right way to mix the two.

For the most part the characters also felt contrived and characterize
Leeanna
Nov 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Cycle of Hatred, by Keith R. A. DeCandido

Set a year prior to the opening of the World of Warcraft MMO, "Cycle of Hatred" would perhaps better be titled "Cycle of Blah." Unlike most novels set in the Warcraft universe, this one doesn't really add anything at all to the world.

The plot is mediocre and has no twists or turns - it's straightforwardly flat. You easily guess what's going to happen. Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall aren't true to their established characterization; it fee
Cameron Smith
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Firstly, I haven't played much World of Warcraft. I'd played the strategy games in highschool, and have enjoyed a bit of Hearthstone over the last couple of years, but my WoW experience goes as far as playing a character up to lv.20 for the Hearthstone unlockable. That said, there's been times when I've really enjoyed Hearthstone and had an interest in learning more about the world's lore. So, when I saw this book for sale at a second-hand store, I thought, 'why not?'

The book isn't so much a co
Tyler James
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Cycle of Hatred was a nicely developed book because it included many details and lore pertaining to the history of the Warcraft Universe. The lore was interesting and made me want to read on because I simply love the Warcraft Universe and play World of Warcraft, a game based upon this universe. However, the reason that this book was rated lower was due to the lack of a real conflict and upon reading this book it seemed to not really have a 'danger' to make you want to keep reading. If you we ...more
El-jorro
Jun 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Of all of the Warcraft Novels that Bookworm has read Cycle of Hatred has been considered one of the worst.

Is this true?

Let’s find out:

But the tentative peace between orcs and humans is suddenly crumbling. Random attacks against Durotar's hol
Doris
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
first read 11/4/2011,
reread 11/8/2015
Pretty good so far, with a somewhat choppy writing style.

However, I was just jarred out of the story by an idiotic mistake that any speaker of English ought not make: on page 87 "she destroyed only his avatar....until [she] sired..." end of idiocy. At least thus far.

(For those who are not native English speakers, a she cannot SIRE anyone. A she can produce, birth, create, or have, but to sire requires male input (pun intended).)

Okay - another complaint. SITE
Debra Akageorge
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love all most things that are Sci-Fi/Fantasy: books most, then games and movies. I have been playing World of Warcraft since friends introduce to it when Burning Crusade game out. I love the idea of the the game, especially the cut scenes or quest that tell you the back story. Finally I thought I would read one of the WoW novels, plus my friend had been bugging me too. I read Cycle of Hatred (World of Warcraft #1) by Keith R.A. DeCandido. This is my first novel from Blizzard, as well as, WoW. ...more
Nicole
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cycle of Hatred was a fun, easy, read rich with lore from the World of Warcraft characters I adore.

Lady Jaina Proudmoore takes center stage and I adored reading about Jaina. Revered as one of the most powerful mages alive and a leader Jaina has a lot on her plate. With the Burning Legion pushed back Jaina focuses on working on the alliance between humans and orcs. While she is eager to work with Thrall to come to a solution not all the humans who follow Jaina are eager for that solution to come
Daniel Peterson
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
World of Warcraft: Cycle of Hatred written by Keith R. A. DeCandido.

This book starts out right after the war againest the Burning Legion. The orcs and the humans made an alliance during the war and, as the title describes, things are on thin ice between the two. Lady Jaina Proudmoore and Warchief Thrall are the leaders of the two races and are feverishly working to keep the alliance between the two races. While Thrall and Jaina are working on keeping the alliance, a force is trying to rip the al
Amy
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Being that this is only the second WoW book I've ever read, I only have one other book and author to hold it up to and that's Christie Golden's Athas... This book in comparison is really not that good.

But, as usual, I still loved Jaina Proudmore AND Colonel Lorena was an awesome new character for me to get to know and enjoy. This book had three powerful woman at the hem of it and that's the reason it got a 3 star instead of a 2 from me. Jaina, Lorena, and Aegwynn were refreshing to read and qui
Blake
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Huge Nerds
My brother gave this to me as a joke for Christmas, since we both play World of Warcraft with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

The book, of course, is deadly serious about things like orc/human race relations...

I think it's funny and mostly harmless, thought it may be killing my brain.
Jenn
Apr 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Very dry, didn't hook me into the story even though I'm a WoW player and usually into lore. Just because your readers are probably WoW fans, it doesn't mean you should skip describing landscapes... or anything else for that matter.
Larper
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit boring and confusing in the first third, the book is a fun read that gives some insight into Jaina, Thrall and Aegwynn. There were some fun references from the game, such as the neutral and opportunistic mentality of the goblins, but other than that the book feels as a filler.
Kirra
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
This novel was very short, under three hundred pages, and there was also many different characters that we read from so it ended up feeling very quick with mostly action or a quick moving plot. I prefer my books more fleshed out with more set-up behind a story or character's motives but I can understand the appeal of a go, go, go book and it was great to read one after a little slump.
Lulu
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Alright, so there a couple of expectations you need to set before you attempt any Warcraft book. First, you need to expect that geography will play a huge part and that your familiarity with Azeroth (and, in certain cases, Draenor) will benefit you hugely. Second, you need to expect a very different sense of experience from the gameplay, especially in World of Warcraft, where the subtleties of warfare and magic are boiled down into easily repeated animations operating on a time-based set of mech ...more
Andrea
Jan 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, games
It's been on my to-do list for ages to read all the Warcraft novels out there. I've been playing the games since Warcraft 2, might as well owe up to it! Years ago I read Day of the Dragon and genuinely disliked it. As Blizzard put just about all their lore developments prior to MoP in books and comics, I wanted to read up.

Goodreads told me this is the first book, so off I went. It's incredibly short. Set three years after Warcraft 3, pretty much at the start of the World of Warcraft, it is set i
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
S.M. Johnson
Jul 24, 2010 rated it liked it
This book makes me wish there was a 3.5 stars. I dunno, it certainly wasn't bad and had its moments, but I'd reserve a 5 star rating for "classics" and a 4 star rating for stuff like my favorite Warcraft novel, "The Last Guardian".

Anyways, this book. As I said, not bad for what it is, which is Warcraft-related light reading. My main issues with it were primarily that a.) there is never really a huge sense of danger, and b.) there's nothing really gripping about the story as a whole. You're readi
Toeni
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like all of the World of Warcraft novels, I enjoyed this book. Familiar, beloved characters were featured while at the same time new characters were also introduced. This story takes place after the Burning Legion has been defeated by the combined efforts of humans and orcs. Now, an uneasy alliance has been formed. Jaina Proudmoore and Thrall work together to solve their problems. Unfortunately, those that serve underneath them do not see things as they do. Tensions continue to build up between ...more
J
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Warcraft Players, Fantasy readers
Cycle of Hatred is a story set in the Warcraft universe created by Blizzard Entertainment. Despite being listed as the first in a series, relies heavily on the reader being aware of previous story.

A time of tense peace has settled over the continent known as Kalimdor. Two States have emerged following a war against demonic forces. One, of humans ruled over by the most powerful wizardess to have ever lived. The other, a nation of Orcs, former slaves of both the Demons, and then the Humans, under
Debbie Tails Prower
Oct 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Warcraft fans
Cycle of Hatred is actually a prequel to World of Warcraft and sets a whole year before the events of WoW, telling the story of Orcs and Humans on Kalimdor, living in the somewhat peace that both Thrall and Jaina Proudmoore have created. However, the tension between these two unlike races is still there and old hatred is not easily being forgotten.

Basically, this novel is all about how easily the peace between Orcs and Humans is being disrupted, how hard both Thrall and Jaina try to keep it but
Jesse Lehrer
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it! It gives me serious WoW aches...like I want to play it so bad, but nothing will bring me back to how I originally felt. Nostalgia is a powerful fucking drug! The second it mentions dreadmist peak at the end I got a flashback of my first time finding that mountain while playing the beta 10+ years ago and being like "holy shit this is so cool wtf is this place!!!!" and calling a friend over to check it out. It definitely does what it set out to do - it's not amazing but definitely lots ...more
Alexander Seifert
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A small story that bridges the gap between the end of 'The Frozen Throne' and the beginning of World of Warcraft. In that sense, I enjoyed the extension of continuity between the two. It was nice to see Thrall and Jaina in the focus, since they are two of the more interesting, non-evil characters still alive in the franchise. The conflict in this book is also a cute nod to the original conflict in the franchise. The addition of a third character from way back in the Warcraft lore was also a nice ...more
Filip
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-sf
It appears that (thankfully) the first book with "World of Warcraft" trademark would be its worst. Book is full of non-existant characters and the pacing is much like playing original Worlf of Warcraft. Also, in some parts it tries to mimic modern thrillers which didn't work the way it should have. Real bad and easily forgettable.
Peter
Dec 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Putting this in my "Read/Completed" pile to get it out of my "In progress" queue.
I got to page 36 and put it down. I have no intention of finishing it.
The author's ability to craft the personalities of Thrall and Jaina is atrocious and should be ashamed.
To hold the mantle of being the first of the "World of Warcraft" series of novels, it fails miserably at kickstarting its reputation.
Jovanni Bello
Sep 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was a throw away book of little consequence.
Monika
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Books begin after war with Burning Legion. Focus of this book is orc human relation
Hidekisohma
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, warcarft
So I finally got around to reading the first WoW book they published. This book takes place a short while before Vanilla begins and...by far and large, the story was... all right?
It started out strong enough. Tensions between humans and orcs are rising and all out war is only being stopped by Jaina and Thrall. in the meantime though there's a force trying to get the two to fight. On paper this sounds like a fine idea. In execution... eh. It was all right.
There are some problems i have with this
« previous 1 3 next »

• Day of the Dragon (WarCraft, #1)
  • The Well of Eternity (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #1)
  • Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • The Sundering (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #3)
  • The Demon Soul (WarCraft: War of the Ancients, #2)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • Chronicles of War (Warcraft #4; World of Warcraft, #2-4)
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects: Part II
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Warcraft: Death Knight
  • Warcraft: The Last Guardian (Warcraft: Blizzard Legends)
  • World of Warcraft: Dawn of the Aspects: Part I
  • WarCraft Archive (WarCraft, #1-3 & Of Blood and Honor)

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)

News & Interviews

“The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know'. The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything.” 12 likes
“The world tells us what we need to know when we are ready to know it and not before. That's the way of things.” 7 likes