Start by marking “Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)

(World of Warcraft #2)

Though the young Warchief Thrall ended the demon curse that had plagued his people for generations, the orcs still wrestle with the sins of their bloody past. As the rampaging Horde, they waged a number of devastating wars against their perennial enemy -- the Alliance. Yet the rage and bloodlust that drove the orcs to destroy everything in their path nearly consumed them a ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published December 26th 2006 by Pocket Star

Ahmad Sharabiani
Rise of the Horde (World of WarCraft, #2), Christie Golden
World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde is a novel by Christie Golden set in the Warcraft Universe. It was published in December 2006. Golden also has a commitment with Blizzard Entertainment and Simon & Schuster to write a StarCraft trilogy. Originally presumed to be the sequel to her previous 2001 book, Warcraft: Lord of the Clans, it depicts the draenei's escape from Argus and the rise of the Horde, following their shift from a shaman
Markus
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, warcraft
“Hate is powerful. Hate can be eternal. Hate can be manipulated. And hate can be created.”

The fertile world of Draenor is at peace. The ferocious orcs and the intelligent draenei live side by side in relative harmony. Until a mysterious being appears to the great shaman Ner’zhul, spiritual leader of the orc people, and makes him see that the tall, blue-skinned people are a threat to their survival…

Rise of the Horde is the best Warcraft book I’ve read so far. No doubt about it. Christie Golden se
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Back to Goodreads after over two months. Real life sucks :-)

The series curse continues. Every single one I loved in the past and continued reading in 2019 turns to shit bad for some reason.

Chronologically, this book takes place before Tides of Darkness and its end is the beginning of the Horde invasion of Azeroth and the start of battles with the Alliance.

"Oh! Like in the movie?!"

Well, no. Very much not like in the movie. Reading this felt strange. I've never been in such a bloody war, but I can
Leeanna
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
World of Warcraft: Rise of the Horde, by Christie Golden

"Rise of the Horde" is what a Warcraft book should be. The book is enjoyable, the plot is pretty solid, and the characters are spot on. In the author biography, Golden states that she is a World of Warcraft player and it shows - there are little things thrown in that any Warcraft player will appreciate.

Each chapter starts with a brief introduction from Thrall, the current chief of the new Horde. He is writing the history of the old Horde,
Kenchiin
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just... wow.
Yes, that was a pun.
Christine
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WoW players and lore lovers
I loved it.
I've been playing WoW for six years now and have always loved what little (compared to how much of it there actually is, anyway) hints of the story I got from reading the quests and listening to the NPCs talk, but I wanted to learn more. That's when I decided to begin reading the novels, and I don't regret a moment of it.
This book really brings you closer to orcs and draenei alike (read: I re-rolled an orc shaman right afterwards). Golden does an excellent job at bringing their bruta
Pinkerton
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Per l’Orda! Quant’è bello questo racconto. La tragica vicenda relativa alla corruzione degli orchi vista sin dal principio, ma non solo... c’è pure la conseguente (ma anche precedente :P) triste storia dei draenei guidati dal loro profeta Velen.

Un dramma orchesco di corruzione demoniaca che porterà alla venuta su Azeroth. Lancerei un urlo alla Grom Hellscream (quello nella copertina… particolarmente azzeccata) per la gioia.
Altamente consigliato a chi è piaciuto il film che qui può trovare l’ori
Mamen B.
May 15, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
2,5/5

Me ha gustado un poquito más que El último guardián, probablemente porque estaba más interesada en la historia de los orcos que en la de los humanos...

En este libro Golden nos presenta a Durotan y Orgrim, con sus correspondientes clanes, que son dos orcos que se hacen amigos a pesar de las diferencias. Pero no es una historia de amistad, sino de guerra, de traiciones y de pérdidas. Nos cuenta cómo los orcos eran unos seres pacíficos que fueron corrompidos con magia oscura y promesas de un p
W. G. Saraband
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Chronologically, "Rise of the Horde" is the first entry into the lore of Warcraft. It peers into the Draenor, the change of relations between Orcs and Draenei, the foundation of the Horde, and prepares the stage for the first Orcish invasion of Azeroth.

Christie Golden does a good job telling the tale. Characters like Durotan, Orgrim, Ner'zhul and Gul'dan are well described, their personalities coherent with their actions. Although the pace is rather quick, since the short book spans a solid numb
نیما اکبرخانی
بین چهارتا کتابی که تا اینجا از مجموعه وارکرفت خوندم این از همه بهتر بود البته ۳ تای اول به نوعی تاریخ نگاری بود و خیلی هم نمیشه بهشون سخت گرفت . با نحوه روایت داستان که تمامش فلش بک هست و به قلم ترال نوشته میشه خیلی حال کردم . ایده جالبی بود واقعا خاصه اونجاهایی که عین یه تاریخ نگار و یه رهبر واقعی ترال خودش کامنت گذاشته بود پای تواریخ و پند و اندرز هم داده بود .
کلا خوب بود .
Julie
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, from-usa
Bit difficult to rate this book with just one rating - as a fantasy book for people with no relationship to the Warcraft/WoW universe, it's quite average. But if you are familiar with the characters, and have visited the mentioned places in-game, I think you will enjoy it quite a bit. I did.

If you are brand new to the World of Warcraft books, this is a pretty good place to start. It tells the story of how the conflict between the peaceful and harmonious orcs and draenei occured in Draenor, and w
Karina
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wow
Nesen nolēmu sākt lasīt šo sēriju, jo pati kādu laiku spēlēju World of Warcraft, bet zināšanas par spēles pasauli nav lielas. Vismaz šī, pirmā, grāmata, ko izlasīju, nelika vilties un lika iemīļot spēles pasauli vēl vairāk. Šādā gadījumā vērtējums laikam nedaudz neobjektīvs, tomēr galvenais ir, kā grāmata lika man justies :)
Nic
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response
I am a fan of the World of Warcraft universe. I started to read this book awhile back but never finished it; not because I had not liked it but because due to time spent elsewhere. I loved the book. Being that I was a World of Warcraft player I fell in love with the story, and this book gave me a chance to dive deeper into the lore. Knowing that the universe around World of Warcraft is much bigger than many people think.

Plot
The book was written in a way to predate Azeroth. It s
Valentina Morgana la fata
Dopo un'adolescenza dedicata all'High fantasy ho abbandonato per lungo tempo questo genere, non riuscendo a trovare niente che mi entusiasmasse ancora, gli argomenti trattati erano sempre gli stessi, lo svolgersi delle vicente, persino la costruzione dei personaggi principali si rassomigliava tantissimo.
World of Warcraft l'ho sempre sentito nominare, moltissime persone che conosco apprezzano il gioco o hanno giocato in determinati periodi della loro vita.
Personalmente, non essendo una gamer, non
Santiago
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Rise of the Horde debe ser el mejor de los libros de Warcraft que leí hasta ahora, para empezar te muestra la sociedad orca en un antes y un despues de que los demonios los corrompan creando a la horda.

Uno de los aspectos que más me gustan de Warcraft es que los personajes netamente malos o netamente buenos son pocos, hay muchos grises y este libro te muestra muchos de ellos. Por ejemplo Nerzhul, un chaman que está destinado a ser uno de los villanos más poderosos de Azeroth, no actuó por maldad
Dan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've only recently started reading the Warcraft books even though I've been a fan of the franchise since Warcraft II. I am currently on the 8th book (going by event timeline,) Day of the Dragon by Richard Knaak. Rise of the Horde has been may favorite so far and I am looking forward to reading more of Christie Golden's work.

Rise of the Horde tells the tale of the orc people's corruption by the demons of the Burning Legion. The storytelling in Rise of the Horde was my favorite aspect of the book.
Josiah
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was my all time favorite wow books I read this book like 4-5 times and I enjoy everytime I read the history of the first true horde the orcs of nagrand were a peaceful race as durotan the main chracter of the story watches as the world around him changes from sitting in tents the tents with the elders to his first kill of a tabuk the story then grows as the demon kil'jaiden corrupts the orcs by single purposely telling them of the wicked but in truth peaceful vigilantes the draneii the ...more
Pedro António Carvalho
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5*
EN~
I couldn't be happier, this is something I wanted to do a long time ago. I'm a MAJOR World of Warcraft fan, I have played it for many many years ago and always have been interested in the lore. I thought "Hey I have always wanted to know in full detail how some races ended up like that or why this zone is like this or why this character is like this." Well, in this novel Christie Golden explained how the Horde came to be. We understand so so much about all those big important characters a
Sacha Valero
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So I've played the game off and on for, well, since it came out, but I've never really known anything about the lore. When the cut-scenes were released for the new expansion I was really impressed by them, and decided to check out the books, starting from the beginning.

The story is essentially told by Thrall, and mostly through the eyes of Durotan. He explains how the Orcs were just individual tribes, coming together only in the shadow of Oshu'gun just twice a year. We see the budding friendship
El-jorro
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bookworm Speaks!

World of Warcraft

by Christie Golden

Acquired: Barnes and Noble Booksellers
Series: World of Warcraft (Book 2)
Paperback: 355 Pages
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment; First Edition edition (November 15, 2016)
Language: English
Subject: Genre Video Game Adaptation / Fantasy

****
The Story: Though the young Warchief Thrall ended the demon curse that had plagued his people for generations, the orcs still wrestle with the sins of their bloody past. As the rampaging Horde,
 (shan) Littlebookcove
absolutely amazing the depth of this storyline and plot was breathtaking, If your a diehard world of warcraft fan you'll know what I mean. It opened my eye's to the structure of the orcs lore as well as outland itself. I won't give the plot away but it had me in tears at some points highly recommend! and can't wait to finish the whole collection of these series!
Sergiu Iacob
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My inner child did not shriek from being mesmerized at the beauty of this book. Awesome. For the horde!
J
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
So, I read a videogame tie-in.
It was neat.
Alyssa
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blizzard
I'm curious how much of this story is considered canon now.
Conner Marshall
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read if you play the game.
Цветозар Бонев
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yes I read a book based on a game. Yes I loved it more than the game. Deal with it.

Rise of the Horde is the first instalment... oh wait it's the second. But it's the first in chronological order. What my trifle with these books is is that the numbering doesn't make any Kil'jaeden damned sense. Having to look up a reading guide just so I could read the books in proper logical order isn't cool Christie (Well I can't really blame Christie for the illogical chronology of the books due to the fact t
Ernie Jr.
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I first bought Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden as a birthday present for my brother. He does not read often, but we are both avid gamers and have played World of Warcraft since before there were expansions. He is, however, not much of a reader. When he told me how good the book was, though I intended to read it anyway, I put it to the front of my queue and finished it in one night.

Christie does a great job of exploring the orcs and other Warcraft races before the demons corrupted them and s
El-jorro
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bookworm Speaks!

World of Warcraft

by Christie Golden

Acquired: Barnes and Noble Booksellers
Series: World of Warcraft (Book 2)
Paperback: 355 Pages
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment; First Edition edition (November 15, 2016)
Language: English
Subject: Genre Video Game Adaptation / Fantasy

Raymond Lee
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The story is about how the horde became one, the life of thrall parents and how they meet, and the things thrall dad had to go thru. The story as show how the draenei came into the story and how the horde enter azortha.
Carrie
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow, warcraft, fantasy
*So with the Warlords of Draenor coming out soon I think I might just have to give this book a re-read. And perhaps actually give it a review, lol.*
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • Vol'jin: Shadows of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #12)
Award-winning author Christie Golden has written over thirty novels and several short stories in the fields of science fiction, fantasy and horror. She has over a million books in print.

2009 will see no fewer than three novels published. First out in late April will be a World of Warcraft novel, Athas: Rise of the Lich King. This is the first Warcraft novel to appear in hardcover. Fans of the youn

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)
“We all are weak, in one way or another. It does not matter the species. Some times that weakness is a strength in dusguise. Sometimes it is our utter undoing. Some times it is both. A wise man seeks to find a lesson from it. A fool lets it control and destroy him.
And sometimes the wise man is the fool.”
28 likes