Start by marking “And the Angels Were Silent” as Want to Read:
And the Angels Were Silent

And the Angels Were Silent

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  1,726 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
You can tell a lot about a person by the way he dies.

In the last week of his life, Jesus deliberately sets his face toward Jerusalem―and certain death. This is no ordinary week. Even the angels are silent as they ponder the final days of Jesus Christ.

This is no ordinary walk. Jesus doesn't chatter. He doesn't pause. He is on his final journey.

He walks determinedly to the h
Published October 1st 1999 by Multnomah (first published August 1st 1992)

Dale
Mar 17, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspirational
This was the book my sister read at the age of 21, the week before she was killed by a drunk driver. This book changed her life....because she gave her life to God that week! Thank You Max Lucado!
Jerry
Mar 27, 2016 Jerry rated it it was amazing
I've really been enjoying Max Lucado's books recently...including this one!
Sonia
Apr 18, 2014 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I am really enjoying this book, especially during the week as Easter approaches. Max Lucado has a very sincere, engaging, non-preachy style of writing that I have always enjoyed. I have read many of his children's stories to my own children and we enjoy them immensely. Although his religious affiliation is Church of Christ and I am a Latter-Day Saint,aka Mormon, our core beliefs line up rather nicely. He always gives me a fresh perspective to look at and throws in some interesting anecdotes such ...more
Edwina Callan
Apr 07, 2014 Edwina Callan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
This book gave me the blessing of understanding 3 things that I've never understood before.
I am so thankful for that!
I highly recommend this book to any Christian out there who, like me, believe the Bible and accept it as truth but every once in a while think ... yeah, ok, but Why ... Why did He say that and what exactly did He mean.
I can not wait to share this book with a bunch of my friends!
Vicky
Mar 26, 2013 Vicky rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this walk through what Jesus did his last week.
Chrystal Hogan Hood
Jun 23, 2017 Chrystal Hogan Hood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: checked-out
All I can say is that this book is wonderful and I'm glad I've read it. Praise to the Prince of peace.
Liz Hatcher
May 30, 2017 Liz Hatcher rated it it was amazing
I love all of Max Lucado's books. He is such an amazing writer. He makes you feel as if you are in the biblical times and he gives you inspiration for your life.
Cindy
Apr 11, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always try to read at least one inspirational book during Lent, and Max Lucado is one of my favorites. He has a way of writing that makes you feel as if you had sat down with him for a personal, one-on-one discussion about matters of the heart. His writing does not come off as 'preachy' yet he inspires you to discover more about Jesus. This book discusses the final week before His Crucifixion. We see His entry into Jerusalem, His anger and frustration with the moneychangers at the temple, His ...more
Heather N
I have mixed feelings about this book and just can't decide whether I like it or not overall. I have nothing against the content of the book; solid and enlightening stuff with touching stories and it effectively made me full-on, genuinely cry a few times. (Bonus points for that!) Having said that, I just couldn't quite engage with his writing style very well. This is the first book of Lucado's that I've read, and I understand that his conversational style is partly what makes his books so popula ...more
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
As usual, Lucado sneaks up on the reader with simple observations that hit deep and shine fresh light on old scriptures.

One thing that provoked a discussion in our house is that there is no chapter or section for Saturday the day after the crucifixion. We joked that nothing happened that day. However, the study guide at the end of the book points to Ephesians 4:8-10:

"When He ascended on high, He led captive a host of captives, and He gave gifts to men." (Now this expression, "He ascended," what
Amber
Apr 21, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucado is definitely my go-to man when I want to spend some creative, reflective time with the Bible. I've always enjoyed the way he spins together Biblical stories and personal or reiterated anecdotes, and pairs them with questions that evoke the reader's own stories. I originally got this book three or four Easters ago, and on this re-read after this Easter was again struck by just how poignant the reflections are- I still came to tears several times. Which is not to say I always see eye-to-ey ...more
Crystal
Feb 08, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking!
It is different than I expected considering the title.
What it's about, using the author's words: "'So what should I do with Jesus?' Pilate asked first, but we've all asked it since.
Small wonder Pilate was puzzled. How do you explain such a man?
One way is to take a walk. His walk. His final walk.
From Jericho to Jerusalem. From the temple to the garden. From the garden to the trial. From Pilate's palace to the cross. We have watched Him walk - angrily into the temple, wearily into
Barbara Duff perez
Aug 19, 2013 Barbara Duff perez rated it it was amazing
This book captivated my attention from the first page. I read it while walking, stayed up late and awoke early to dive back in. My walk with Christ is still in its early stages and I see how far I have come already and long for the days to come. This is the first book I read by Max Lucado and I will surely read more. I've already purchased a few and can't wait to read them. I have ready many Christian books, but not one time have the words seemed as though they were written for me and jumped off ...more
Antonio Orozco
Mar 18, 2016 Antonio Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Más de 12 años en mi librero. Cada año lo intentaba leer en temporada de Semana Santa y hoy como que lo logré. Un buen libro, no es histórico, no es de teología, pero de que aporta aporta. El estilo de Max Lucado siempre me ha gustado, más la forma de escribir tan coloquialmente. Algunos capítulos me supieron más como relleno pero los que traen la médula están interesantes. Al final si te deja pensando...
John
Dec 24, 2009 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado walks you through Christ's last week on earth. Flavored with stories from Lucado's life, the star of the show is Christ as He takes the final journey into Jerusalem and to the cross to redeem mankind. Even though it is more of the type of book that would be VERY meaningful during LENT, there is something to be said about reading a LENTEN story as one truly realizes why Christmas and Advent are important.
Edna
Mar 06, 2014 Edna rated it it was amazing
The author has a friendly and sensible narrative writing style.
The chapters are easy to understand and can be a helpful tool in understanding a different point of view my others.
I am reminded of my earlier reading of this book, and I am renewed by the small details he continues in his writing.
I think this is an appropriate book for this season of spring.
I think of my books as true friends, but I do not want to forget them.
Dj Wells
Jul 24, 2012 Dj Wells rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ron Mitchell, Broderick Jayroe
A walk through the last week of Jesus life on earth...from riding into Jerusalem on a donkey and the crowds lauding Him, to the overturning of the temple money changer's tables, to the betrayal of one of His closest friends, and the garden and trial. Containing the works that occured during the week...the cursing of the fig tree. The pressure Christ must have felt as he neared the end and finally on the cross, the angels were silent...and He could have called on them to save Him.
Nikki
Jan 02, 2014 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own-this, shelf-3
Another amazing book by Max Lucado. I absolutely love reading his books. They are so inspirational and speak the truths about God and His word. I always feel at peace and close to God when I'm reading his books. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone and everyone to read and learn more about God.
Allen Lim
Jul 22, 2011 Allen Lim rated it liked it
Hmmm... I bought this years ago and decided to reread it... quite honestly I didn't remember a single bit of what I read before. Anyway, I didn't find this partcularly good... there were some good stories, but in general most of them tended a bit to sentimentality, and felt a bit draggy (which is bad consideringeach chapter was 5-6 pages)... So yeah 3/5 stars... not great, not bad, so-so.
Mar 02, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This was a good book to read during Lent: it chronicled the last week of Jesus, asking the question "What does a person do in their last days, knowing those are the last days?" Very easy, very quick to read, and it made me think a lot about what Jesus did those days, and what it matters to me now.
Fernanda La Salye
Com muita sensibilidade, este livro vai ajudá-lo a entender os últimos dias de Cristo na Terra. Você vai perceber como aquela semana foi especial em cada palavra, gesto e evento. Jesus caminhava firme para o seu principal objetivo: a morte. Uma vida singular. Uma morte sem igual. Um propósito eterno.
Emily
Mar 29, 2008 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
Recommended to Emily by: kee p.
i like max lucado in person more than in print, although this book did have its points of poignancy and insight when discussing the last week before jesus went to the cross. apparently his literary device of choice is the allusion/anedote, and he sometimes tells so many stories, you wonder how exactly they're related back to the central message of the book... but all in all, interesting.
Leslie
Sep 17, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: Ms Bobbie at Bookbarn in Baytown
Shelves: spiritual
So this is sort of like an expanded version of the one I read yesterday. I'm so tired, the title escapes me. They are different enough to justify reading both. Very beautifully written examination of the last week of Christ.
Bill
May 12, 2016 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book examines the lessons that can be gleaned from the last week of Jesus' ministry. Max is storyteller, and he knows how to write in a way that keeps you turning the pages. A worthwhile devotional read.
Len Svitenko
May 13, 2013 Len Svitenko rated it it was amazing
First Lucado book I ever read. He's a great writer.
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Always a good spiritual pick-me-up
Kristina
This is my first book by Max Lucado that I have read and I loved it. It was a quick read and easy to understand.
Diana Maslowski
Mar 30, 2016 Diana Maslowski rated it it was amazing
Deeper insights into the last week of Christs earthly life before Easter
Daniel
Feb 18, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A book that reminded me of Jesus, and how he's in the every day just as powerfully as the unique days.
Judy Cornelius
Love Max Lucado
Everyday Faithwalk: And the Angels Were Silent 1 4 Jan 17, 2014 03:54AM
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Improving Your Serve
  • Roaring Lambs: A Gentle Plan to Radically Change Your World
  • Descending Into Greatness
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • The Fight
  • The Bible Promise Book - KJV
  • God's Guidance: A Slow and Certain Light
  • Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync with God
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • Decision Making and the Will of God: A Biblical Alternative to the Traditional View
  • Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions from the Writings of Brennan Manning
  • John: 90 Days with the Beloved Disciple (Personal Reflections)
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...

“The cross, the zenith of history. All of the past pointed to it, and all of the future would depend upon it. It’s the great triumph of heaven: God is on the earth. And it is the great tragedy of earth: man has rejected God.” 4 likes
“The right heart with the wrong ritual is better than the wrong heart with the right ritual. Some” 1 likes