Start by marking “Now We Are Enemies: The Story of Bunker Hill” as Want to Read:
Now We Are Enemies: The Story of Bunker Hill

Now We Are Enemies: The Story of Bunker Hill

Account of the Battle of Bunker Hill June 17, 1775.
Published 1960

To ask other readers questions about Now We Are Enemies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now We Are Enemies

John
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well-written narrative history of the Battle of Bunker Hill (or, more accurately, Breed's Hill). This was Fleming's first book; he has since gone on to become one of the leading writers in American history.

The one deficiency that stood out for me was the lack of notes (foot or end). Fleming deals briefly with sources in an afterword and mentions some of the aspects of the story that are debated among scholars, but at various points in the narrative itself I would have appreciated being pointed t
Bob
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Fleming, journalist by profession, once more makes my point that the best writers of history are not necessarily trained historians, but journalists. They know how to structure a story of factual information and describe events. Fleming's descriptions of the building of the fortifications are so vivid that I could smell the freshly dug earth and feel the sweat as if it was rolling down my own forehead and neck.

I happen to be an acquaintance of Mr. Fleming, who is a hell of a nice guy, and
Jim Mullin
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent narrative history; to the point it was riveting even though I knew the outcome. Another factor that struck was the confusion, ill feeling and poor decisions made by both American and English governing bodies. I guess some things never change.
Jeff
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
X The absolute sine qua non on this battle. the author did a brilliant job, both in description and analysis. His source work and research are phenomenal. his conclusions, that the battle was the last straw for both sides, is dead on. after Bunker Hill the USA was on a course of independence that was unalterable.
Maggie
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great historical book that proved to be far more impactful than I anticipated. I purchased my copy from a local thrift store thinking that I should obtain a better understanding of the revolutionary war as I had missed learning much in high school. By the end of this book I realized it left me filled with emotion- not an outcome I would've guessed at.
The first half was slow going but vital information. Thomas Fleming takes a deep look at the major characters involved giving you a sense
Lawrence
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fifty years ago, reviewers across America hailed "Now We Are Enemies" as a masterpiece. It still remains the most complete account of the clash that changed the course of America historythe battle of Bunker Hill. It was the first book about the battle in almost 100 yearsand it marked the emergence of an author who has become widely acknowledged as the best historian of the American Revolution writing today. The books readability wasand still isvividly clear from the opening pages. Suddenly in th ...more
David
Aug 20, 2010 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Americans who want to learn about the struggle during the beginnings of our country
Recommended to David by: no one person
Reviews from the 1960 Edition of this book:

“The multi-viewed method, the apt use of quotation, the piling up of incident and the terse style, give the book a vibrant immediacy. Now We Are Enemies yields to no account in sheer interest and readability.” – The New York Times

“Brilliant…An absolute must for anyone interested in American history.” – Los Angeles Times

“The author has transformed the familiar story into a living picture of men and events, without sacrifice of truth or scholarly integ
Cathy
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: Uncle Clarence
This book is great if you love to read about history. It tells about the Battle of Bunker Hill and the men who fought it.
Dave E
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
A more detailed look at the Battle of Bunker Hill than I would have thought possible. Interesting and an enjoyable read.
Rick Wong
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about the Battle of Bunker Hill. Used it for research paper
Joe Owen
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding read of the Battle of Bunker Hill. Interesting and easy to understand analysis of the battle.
Len Roberto
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
older (1960) but easy to read and told like a fireside story- America's first true battle at Bunker Hill is explained very well here.
Dave
Jun 16, 2012
Michael
Jul 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas J. Fleming was an historian and historical novelist, with a special interest in the American Revolution. He was born in 1927 in Jersey City, New Jersey, the son of a World War I hero who was a leader in Jersey City politics for three decades. Before her marriage, his mother, Katherine Dolan Fleming, was a teacher in the Jersey City Public School System.

After graduating from St. Peter's Prep