Start by marking “High in the Sky” as Want to Read:
High in the Sky

High in the Sky

With its bouncy, fun-to-read text and charming watercolours, High in the Sky follows a child's energetic and wildly imaginative adventures - all while riding on a tire swing. This book will delight young and old alike! And, at the end of the story, there are fun and creative educational activities that children, parents and educators will enjoy. Visit www.skippingstonepres ...more
Published November 27th 2015 by Skipping Stone Press

To ask other readers questions about High in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High in the Sky

Start your review of High in the Sky
Sandra
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Some times the world seems too small for this boy... He then hops on his tire swing, and dreams of different places. After a few swings he is in a jungle in Africa, or in a rocket ship. Or maybe skating on ice, or riding a surf board, or even in a roller coaster. Everything is possible.

High in the sky is a celebration of dreams written in verse. The text flows smoothly, and contains a good amount of vocabulary, but it is easy to understand at the same time. The illustrations are pretty, with som
Norma E.
Sep 16, 2022 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read aloud about boy using his imagination to swing his troubles away. Adorable illustrations to engage readers. This book is a perfect reminder to take time to enjoy ourselves when feeling overburdened with life.
Jacqui Shepherd
Aug 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Up, up, up and away with your troubles!

A brilliant book that helps us to realize that trials are a part of life. We can choose to let them get on top of us or we can get on top of them.
How? In this book by swinging, High in the Sky.

This engaging and entertaining story encourages us to take a time out whenever we feel overwhelmed. To focus on something else, do something we enjoy.
This will enable us to let go of our anxiety, to rest, relax and regroup.

I love how the swinging higher and higher
Sara Reber
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
High in the Sky by Kathleen Gauer is a really cute book. I read it with my 2 1/2 year old niece and she kept asking me to read it again.

I enjoyed this story. It reminded me of the stories my grandparents used to tell about the days from their childhoods. On the lazy days my grandparents would go outside and play in their tire swings and dream. For hours, they were somewhere or someone else and then they would get up and go into the house and do chores. The words in the story flowed together ver
Regan Macaulay
Feb 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing
High in the Sky: A beautifully imaginative tale about how a young boy escapes the real world by simply playing on his tire swing! As he swings, his imagination takes him on multiple adventures. Kathleen Gauer really knows how to get inside the mind of a youngster and present us with stories that feel authentic. And Sari Richter’s illustrations are so effective at showing us what’s going on inside this little boy’s active mind. Highly recommended!
Carolyn
May 02, 2021 rated it really liked it

High in the Sky, by Kathleen Gauer, illus. by Sari Richter: There’s no limit to the what one can imagine, according to the main character in this book. Delightful illustrations in this rhyming book shows a wide variety of scenes and diverse population. The author offers activities at the end for children enjoying the book.
Karlene Froling
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story that most people can relate to.

I loved swinging as a child and now an adult I still do.

Here’s a story that follows a young girl on an imaginary adventure. And guess what, it all took place on a swing while going as high as she could go.

Once again, here we have a beautiful and well written story by the author and wonderful illustrations that marinate the text. Recommended
Mina Anguelova
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very charming, nice little book about how one can find freedom in his imagination, just swinging on a swing. The text is lovely and well written. The illustrations are in soft watercolors, simple and nicely done. There is a traditional/classic feeling to this book. One can see it was done with much love and care. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.
Phoebe Fox
Nov 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
High in the Sky by Kathleen Gauer is an enjoyable read-aloud for children of all ages. The text flows smoothly, and the illustrations are fun and relatable. It's a celebration of childhood and imagination! ...more
Hafsa Raees
Oct 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
High in the Sky is a perfect story to enlighten your imaginative senses. Many adventurous scenes are featured in this book that are quite well executed by the author. She knows surely knows children psychology and has produced a fine work of art to be enjoyed by both kids and adults.
Diane
Nov 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book--it truly captures the joyous feeling of swinging. I liked the idea of traveling to other places, in this world and far in outer space, while swinging! I loved the feeling of boundaries, disappearing--of swinging being a wonderful way to leave your troubles behind for a bit. The end, traveling to other places in dreams, comes full circle.
Heather Stigall
Cute rhyming story that celebrates a child's imagination as they sway in the trees on their swing. ...more
Michaela
Kristen
rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2017
Kathleen Gauer
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Frederick Rotzien
Joy Adams
Terry Pearson
Camille
Mar 22, 2016

• Cami Kangaroo Has Too Much Stuff (Cami Kangaroo and Wyatt Too Book 2)
  • Beeing Happy with Unicorn Jazz and Friends
  • And So Much More: A Children's Book Nurturing Strength, Kindness, Gratitude and Creativity
  • Duckdog
  • Bubbly By The Sea
  • Excuse Me Sir, Do You Bark English?
  • The Second Life of Everly Beck (The Tethered Soul, #2)
  • The Tethered Soul of Easton Green (The Tethered Soul, #1)
  • The House of Shadows (The Elementals of Sacred Lake, #1)
  • The Tap-Dancing Pigeon of Covent Garden
  • Rise of the Dragon Queen (Legends of Ethota, #1)
  • Bella the Blue Crab
  • Gabby Makes a Friend
  • Magna-Blade
  • Piper's Pond
  • Roo, The Little Red Tuk Tuk
  • Firenze's Light: A Children's Book about Gratitude, Compassion and Self-Appreciation
  • The Protector (Sophie Lee, #2)
Toronto writer Kathleen Gauer's published works include illustrated children's books, High in the Sky, For No Reason, The Wish Carvers, and Bathtime Fun! as well as poetry, and magazine and newspaper articles. Her books have been acquired in libraries across Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Kathleen worked as a contributing associate editor for a Toronto community focus magazine for 15 years, an

News & Interviews

Here at Goodreads World Headquarters, we tend to read a lot of books. Like, a lot a lot. And every December, as we finish up our...