Start by marking “The Un-Prescription for Autism: A Natural Approach for a Calmer, Happier, and More Focused Child” as Want to Read:

Winner: Nautilus Book Awards, Psychology
Winner: International Book Awards, Psychology/Mental Health
Winner: International Book Awards, Alternative Medicine
Winner: Best Book Awards, Alternative Medicine
Winner: Book Excellence Awards, Alternative Medicine
Winner: Bookvana Book Awards, Psychology/Mental Health
Winner: Bookvana Book Awards, Alternative Medicine

Each year,

Published April 1st 2016 by AMACOM (first published March 18th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Un-Prescription for Autism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Un-Prescription for Autism

Start your review of The Un-Prescription for Autism: A Natural Approach for a Calmer, Happier, and More Focused Child
Dave
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
As an adult with ASD I have always been sick with a hundred different symptoms in spite of being on hundreds of meds and seeing every type of there is specialist. If all the best medicine out there hasn't helped, I figured it was low odds that anything in a book would help me.

Understandably I was hesitant to read a book that promised such amazing results through the use of supplements and probiotics. To be honest, I've always classified supplements under snake oil. But I decided to try it.
Alissa Paige
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Lintala's research, book and practice gives us hope that better health is possible for people with ASD. Her stories brought me to tears and into bursts of laughter. I look forward to digging into her extensive endnotes for more information.
Jo
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The link between autism and gastro-intestinal balance is now well-documented, as is treatment with medication, and I err on the side of caution with both. I don't believe that there is 'one' method for improving the symptoms of autism, whether it be chemical or natural, and as a parent, in fact as a member of a family of four with first hand experience, and who were quite literally at the end of their tether, medication provided us with immediate relief while we came to terms with a diagnosis ...more
Merrick
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was full of enough practical information to help me heal my body from the health issues common folks with this neurotype face, that it just slightly outweighed the ableism and other problematic beliefs and language laced through the text by the author. I still recommend this to my friends on the spectrum, or who have kids on the spectrum, as a useful tool to heal our bodies so we can live our best lives for ourselves.
Meagan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Reinforces the importance of diet in everything, because you gut is what matters most. Eat healthy, take digestive enzymes and probiotics. She has other helpful tips for boosting the immune system as well.
Miriam Downey
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

My second year of teaching was a disaster. I was pregnant, but more importantly, I had a combination room of fourth and fifth graders. Among the 30 children in my class was a boy whose parents had just been arrested for murder, four students whose parents were being divorced, and one boy who would not speak to anyone or look them in the eye. He is the child I remember the most from that year, because I could do little for him. He
Jenny
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book free as part of GoodReads Giveaways.

I requested the book for my sister as my nephew has Autism. She is tired of reading books that say they have all the answers (or that they can cure Autism) if only you do what they tell you to do. So I first read this book cover-to-cover and I have no hesitation in passing this book onto her.

Firstly the Author is anti drugging our children (except for extreme circumstances). Excellent! Autistic children do however have a tendency to have
Jaclyn Koffler
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
it's good enough to recommend to others and I will be trying parts of it.
Kathy
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Un-Prescription for Autism is a detailed guide on effective strategies for improving the gastro-intestinal health of children with Autism, as a starting point for supporting and improving the health and well-being of ASD children. It is well researched and supported by industry experience, and provides a detailed, personalisable plan for implementing changes. For a reader who works with children but had little knowledge of ASD (but plenty of experience with gastro-intestinal health!) it was ...more
Ann
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept that food affects the brain and causes behavioral problems and thought processes in some children - I have an inclination to believe this theory as I have seen the transformation of simple foods to complex chemical approximations of food in my life time. I think that our food industry has sold us a poor substitute for real food and we are paying a dear price.
Jenny
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent.
You can't "cure" neurological conditions with vitamins, industrial bleach or anything else!
Gayla Ber
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book is full of pseudoscience and misinformation. It doesn't just border on hate literature, it IS hate literature.
Wendy Pittman
Dec 22, 2016
Mercedes
Nov 13, 2017
Janine Brouillette
Sep 22, 2017
Joey Mills
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Early review for GeekDad.com.
Sasha Dofflemeyer

• Again, but Better
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • Trail Guide to the Body
  • Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • Bitch Planet #1
  • ODY-C #1
  • Qu33r
  • Aspergirls: Empowering Females with Asperger Syndrome
  • Odd Girl Out: An Autistic Woman in a Neurotypical World
  • Prognosis: A Memoir of My Brain
  • Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating
  • A Christmas Wish for Corduroy
I'm so excited that The Un-Prescription for Autism has won eight national and international book awards:

Winner of Gold Award: Readers' Favorite Book Awards in Nonfiction - General