Start by marking “Grandmother's Dreamcatcher” as Want to Read:
Grandmother's Dreamcatcher

Grandmother's Dreamcatcher

When Kimmy has bad dreams, Grandmother shows Kimmy a dreamcatcher, and with a twig, beads, feathers, and leather, they begin to make one just for Kimmy. Will it work? Instructions for making a dreamcatcher appear at the end of the book. Full color.
Published November 24th 2006 by Albert Whitman & Company (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Grandmother's Dreamcatcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandmother's Dreamcatcher

Start your review of Grandmother's Dreamcatcher
Tonya
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
This beautifully written story highlights an important element of Native American culture, and exhibits the special relationship a young girl has with her grandmother. After the girl in the story continually has bad dreams, her grandmther shows her a way to avert them by making a dreamcatcher. Her grandmother explains to her the Chippewa story behind the dreamcatcher, and helps her granddaughter construct it after they go out to collect the items they need from nature. I was touched by this book ...more
Karl
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wish I knew if Becky Ray McCain was indigenous or not. My fear is that she’s not but I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. These stories need to be told by native people.

Simple story about a young girl, her grandmother and the power of a dream catcher.
Shannon Futrell
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a realistic fiction book about a native american girl and her grandmother. Although it is fiction, the information about dreamcatchers is correct. This book can be used to talk about an important tradition that Native Americans have.
becky fox
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandson loved the story of the dreamcatcher. We created a dreamcatcher for his room after reading the book.
Sophie Klockow
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-438
Connections: This book's illustrations reminded me of the range eternal book that Dr. Trimble read in class but I don't know that I would use it. ...more
Emily
Sep 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultures-rec
Ages 4 and up. When a young girl's parents are between jobs, she goes to stay with her Chippewa grandmother, who helps her deal with her bad dreams by making a dream-catcher. A portrayal of modern American Indian culture important for counteracting the stereotypes in pop culture. ...more
Savana Cervantes
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Juvenile Fiction › Family › Multigenerational
Morgan Patton
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kimmy is introduced to the Chippewa tradition of dreamcatchers by her grandmother, to ease her troubled dreams. Grandma gives her quality time, they make crafts, and cooking projects. She then realizes that she is learning more about how special her grandmother is.

Grandmother's Dreamcatcher relates to children when it comes to bonding with family. It also is a relation to children when it comes to bad dreams and finding comfort from their fears. Great depictions of the Native American Culture.
Kristy
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
In this story, Kimmy visit her grandmother who helps Kimmy get rid of her bad dreams at night. Kimmy’s family is Chippewa, and her grandmother shows her how to make dream catchers and tells Kimmy about the story behind dreamcatchers. This book also includes a page about how to make your own dreamcatcher.

Publication Date: 1998
Age/Grade level: Preschool to 2nd grade
Format: Print Book
Denise
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked it! As a young child (and even now as an adult), I suffered from bad dreams. I am going to have my oldest granddaughter read this to me (occasionally, she has bad dreams too). We will also make a dreamcatcher to catch all of our bad dreams; hopefully, our dreams will be happy ones after our dreamcatcher is made.
Newbury Town Library Youth Services
A good introduction to what dreamcatchers are and why they are made.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
native american practice and belief about dreams and their importance. shows how to make a dream catcher
Rose
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amerindians
Poignant story of a little Chippewa girl staying w/her grandmother, missing her parents & having nightmares w/wonderful, vivid illustrations.
Mckinley
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indian, family, heroine
Nice story about a Grandmother's care and sharing of traditions. ...more
Kim
Amanda (Cover2CoverMom)
You can see all my reviews on my blog -> Cover2CoverMom

*3.5 stars

Why it’s #DiverseKidLit: Indigenous (Chippewa) characters

I was very interested to learn some of the folklore that surrounds dreamcatchers.  Legend has it that a grandmother asked the Great Spirit for help for her granddaughter who suffered from bad dreams.  The Great Spirit sent the grandmother a vision of a dreamcatcher circle, so the grandmother made one and hung it above her sleeping granddaughter.  A spider came down and built
Emily

• We're Riding on a Caravan: An Adventure on the Silk Road
  • Good Night, Alfie Atkins
  • My Two Grannies
  • The Pink Bicycle
  • What's the Worst that Could Happen?
  • Sitti's Secrets