Start by marking “Before I Wake Up...” as Want to Read:
Before I Wake Up...

Before I Wake Up...

Created by the world-renowned children's
author and illustrator Britta Teckentrup,
this dreamy, colorful nighttime journey
will captivate and soothe young children
everywhere. A young girl falls asleep and travels in her dreams through
the sky, down to the ocean's depths, and into a jungle. She is
accompanied by a lion friend, who eases her fears, gives her
confidence, and helps
Published April 7th 2016 by Prestel Publishing (first published February 29th 2016)

Start your review of Before I Wake Up...
Earl
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is one of those gorgeous picture books that would probably have worked better as a wordless one. The concept is sweet and charming.
Brandi Kutz
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Written in couplets, with almost a sing-song rhythm, this book takes us on a journey with our protagonist and her best friend the lion through her dreams. She meets wild creatures, swims with whales, and sails with the wind. The illustrations are almost paper mache and are darkly overlaid. It's a precious book for kids for bedtime.
Starbubbles
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This book was beautifully written, but the art was literally very dark throughout most of it. I feel that if you were to read it to a child about to go to sleep, and you had a regular to a dim light on, you would have missed most of the details in the images. I understand it was to represent nighttime and dreams, but I feel that there are ways to represent that and still be able to see all of the obvious hard work that went into this. The art was creative and imaginative, but I could see some ...more
Kelly
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations in this dreamy nighttime book.
Kat
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
I was disappointed in this book. The pictures were dark and hard to see and the rhyming scheme would disappear, or wouldn’t actually rhyme, sometimes.
Lindsey
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The illustrations are beautiful.
Rachel Smith
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the overlapping, collage-y artwork in this
Seema Rao
A young girl's vivid, enchanting dreams are shown in muted, magical collages-style illustrations.
Heydi Smith
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-one-on-one
Very atmospheric and poetic. A sweet bedtime story.
Ammie
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lovely.
Eriska
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: altair-library
Before I Wake Up by Britta Teckentrup. Beautiful book with relaxing poetic text [very typical Teckentrup] very suitable for children bedtime.
Elvira
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautiful illustrations and relaxing poetry. Only complaint is the text is small and hard to read, especially at bedtime.
Kristina Jean Lareau
A beautifully illustrated bedtime-dream story with rhyming couplets.

I truly adore the illustrations in this book as well as the soft, dream-like sentiments. UNfortunately, the narrative felt forced--perhaps a translation? and bored me rather than transported me. But it is a well-designed and executed picturebook, but the marriage of excellent illustrations and lackluster narrative really detracted from the possible "wow" of this title.
Chris
This is a quiet, simple rhyming story about a little girl who takes comfort from her toy lion as she goes through her nightly dreams. She doesn't seem afraid to start with, so it's not really about overcoming a fear of the dark, it's simply about the comfort that a favorite toy can provide when confronting new situations.
Beth
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the idea of this book (helping children to see that night isn't something to fear, but a time to nurture your imagination in dreamland) and the illustrations. Where it fell flat for me was the rather trite rhyming. It's worth reading for the illustrations alone, but adult readers are likely to groan at some of the writing.
Kristin
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sleep, bedtime, dreams
Really nice illustrations. Very pretty, with a nice use of overlapping color. It seems to be about a child who dreams that her stuffed animal comes to life and travels with her. It's a little too subtle for its intended audience, I think, but it's a nice bedtime story.
Rebecca
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Normally I love Britta Teckentrup, but this one seemed to lack some zing. It may be that the rhymes were awkward in translation. Some of the pictures also seemed redundant and hard to see. Still, for a child who resists bedtime, this journey into dreamland may make it more enticing.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Aug 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Really neat illustrations, but was kind of boring.
Kristin
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A girl tells a story of adventure through her dream with great rhyming verses. The illustrations are dark to enhance the nighttime setting.
Briony
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Illustrations and text are beautiful. However, I believe it would appeal more to the adult audience than the child audience.
Mindy
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The sweet simple rhyme coupled with the lovely illustrations make Before I Wake Up an excellent bedtime story.
Tracy Smith
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A girl and her lion friend dream and play all night. Cute story and good imagination.
Silence
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations are darling!
Melody
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book I loved it so much. I plan on gifting this title.
Stacy
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I enjoyed this book, but I don't think children will as much.
Aisha
Nov 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book.
Miss Sarah
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: babies, bedtime, adventure
A child dreams up adventure and travels through many places with a lion friend and is comforted throughout the night. Whimsical and comforting. Any age group.
LtLEGOReads
Jan 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddos
The book is about a young girl's dream journey where she goes all over and try out different activities with her friends, the lion.

Beautiful illustration though!
Tara
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The illustrations are great, but this book is too long. I can't think of any little kids who would sit through this entire book.
Cat
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Beautiful illustrations. Definitely more for an adult audience than a child.

• The Family Book
  • Windows
  • The Snail and the Whale
  • The Gruffalo
  • The Bear in My Bed
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.