Start by marking “Learning to Speak” as Want to Read:
Learning to Speak

Learning to Speak

In Learning To Speak, Kat Savage draws the parallel between the loves we experience and how we often lose our voices in the process. From the beginnings both heartbreaking and hopeful, to the loss, to the "aha" moment when we realize we are going to be okay, her first collection of poetry is meant to be a journey. She hopes we will all ask ourselves: How many times have yo ...more
Published November 27th 2015 by Underwater Mountains (first published October 30th 2015)

Start your review of Learning to Speak
Christina
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I thoroughly related to and adored Kat Savage's poetry book "Learning to Speak." Rarely does a poetry book touch me so dearly. Kat Savage writes with depth and feeling concerning her experiences and relationships, which are the reins of this poetry book. My friend Alfa gave me this book as a gift, knowing I would love it, and I truly did. Kat Savage uses metaphors like an expert, she has a gift for writing. I felt her pain at being alone, married, separated, divorced; she enters a plethora of em
Daniele
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These poems. Woah. Each one needs to be read slowly to just get the full feel of power coming from Kat’s words. I did read this slower than normal but it was because I wanted to get the feels I was feeling sit with me. Each poem hit my soul with such brilliance. All Kat’s words need to be read whether you are starting here or with her novels, you will be left wanting more!
Amanda S
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MUST READ 5 STARS!!! Touches you deep in your soul

Initially it was very refreshing and raw, deep and personal which I highly respect since it takes much courage. Secondly, it brought me to years moving through all the heartbreak and I could relate to all of it, it's like you were talking to me! All the encouragement and positivity of overcoming such battles gave such HOPE! I LOVED your book and read it all at once, highly recommend and can't wait to read another one! Great luck on doing this f
Gina
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed every collection from Kat I have read, I highly recommend her work and I think she’s one of the voices of the millennial/instapoetry generation. This particularly book focuses on finding yourself again after a breakup- it’s well written and the advice you need when you’re searching for your individual voice again after adjusting it for duets for so long.
Chasity
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The only thing I've ever been sure of
In my entire miserable existence
Is that I was meant to love you.
I dont know for how long
Or even in what way.
I just know it's written in the lines
On the palms of my hands.
So take hold of them.
Take hold of me."

This collection, the power of it, the pulse of it, just so compelling. Brilliant!
Mimi ♡
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Mad Woman was heaps better than this.

This collection started off promising, but then just seemed to turn into the same poem regurgitated several times over. Nothing stood out, and it just became very boring for me.
Zoë Luna Lennox Micah-Montoya
my double heartbroken 17-year-old self would've appreciated this book. she would've needed it. she would be different now. better. that's how beautiful this is. poignant at times but that's all poetry in my opinion. it's important. magic beyond words.
Linkypie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This book really spoke to me. I love Kat's poetry, and she has made her way to my favorite modern poet ♡ I am always looking for more by her!
Scott
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I keep a copy in my desk at work and a copy at home. I love this book.
Ashley
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some seriously good poems.
Christina Hart
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This poetry collection was phenomenal. It hurt me in all the right places, and the effortless way the author strung the words together made me truly appreciate the struggle of being human, in a beautiful painful sort of way.
C.E. Nelson
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The author takes you through lost loves, found loves and almost everything in between. There's a heartache and a sadness that I think many people can relate to. She'll make you feel things and then smack you in the gut with the same feelings. An amazing debut by a talented writer.
Glenda Woodson
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage is simply amazing at her craft. The emotions run deep, and it will shock you at the connection you feel.
Lesley
Aug 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I found some feels in this one, certainly more than Mad Woman, but it was still lacking in something for me. I have quite a few ear marked pages, but nothing really reached inside and took hold.
Laleska Alves
« previous 1 3 next »

• Poems For The Moon: Vol 1
  • Don't Tell Me to Be Quiet
  • Beautiful Mistakes
  • Break Your Glass Slippers (You Are Your Own Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Things I Learned in the Night
  • Bones in the Garden
  • There Is Beauty In the Bleeding
  • Sincerely,
  • soft in the middle
  • She Was The Storm
  • Bright Minds Empty Souls
  • in the absence of the sun
  • Worth It: Poetry
  • the words i want you to keep
  • I Am More Than My Nightmares
  • Dirty Hands, Broken Ribs, & Other Places My Heart Has Lived: Poems
  • fluid.
  • 2am Thoughts
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.