Start by marking “The Snurtch” as Want to Read:
The Snurtch

The Snurtch

Some days are Snurtch days. Ruthie is having one of those.

Ruthie has a problem at school.

It is not the students. It is not the classroom. It is not the reading or the writing or the math. It is something scribbly, scrunchy, grabby, burpy, and rude. It is the Snurtch.

From the team behind I Don’t Like Koala, this clever picture book takes a discerning look at the challenges
Published August 30th 2016 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Snurtch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snurtch

Kelli
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My children will still let me read picture books to them, even though they both love to read on their own daily. I only review what I consider to be the very best picture books. This certainly qualifies. This is a brilliant and important book! In presenting various unacceptable behaviors and unpleasant moods as attributed to a monster, this becomes a funny, relatable book for children. We all have a Snurtch to tame and it is so, so important to find ways to let children know that. 5 stars
Reading Rainbow Community
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
An excellent, entertaining, easy-to-relate-to metaphor for grumpiness, anger, fatigue, lack of focus, and all the other moods that can overtake young kids and be difficult to understand and control. Delightfully told and illustrated, this book will comfort, entertain, and elicit loud guffaws of laughter!
Michele Knott
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Now I know who to blame....
Zazu
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have a Snurtch. We all have Snurtches, but some of us have bigger ones than others. This is a wonderful tale that will help children who may have ADHD or other behavioral issues see that they are not alone with their problems, that they're not inferior, and maybe even help them learn to cope with them. This is not an instructional book, however, and that's to it's benefit--every child will enjoy following along with this fun and silly story and be entertained as well as learn from it-- what mo ...more
Sheri
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A snurtch is Ruthie's problem at school and it seems to be a growing problem. Interesting story and illustrations are colorful but couldn't tell if it was Ruthie, or her imagination that was the snurtch until the end when they all developed one. The illustrator was very imaginative.
Chris
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great.
Kelly Carey
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whether you are 5 or 50, we all have a Snurtch that we must contend with and control. In Sean Ferrell’s THE SNURTCH, Ruthie is struggling to manage her Snurtch, a wonderful personification of her bad temper and poor behavior. Ruthie’s Snurtch causes big trouble at school...trouble for which Ruthie takes the blame.

Ferrell’s book offers a platform for discussing those moments when we are not at our best. It is much easier to assess our own actions if we can blame our poor choices on a Snurtch, an
Suzie Bookgirl
This is my favourite picture book this week! The Snurtch describes perfectly those angry, grumpy, rotten feelings that can surprise us all. The illustrations are just perfect as well, they add visual understanding and a touch of humour while being beautiful as well. LOVE. This would be perfect to read-aloud to children just starting school.
Megan
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Today is such a snurtch day! (Thanks, Kazia!!)
Kristina Jean Lareau
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent approach to discussing emotion and behavior without being heavy-handed. The illustrations are brilliantly done with a fantastic contrast between the imaginary Snurtch and the characters.
Lynn  Davidson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting story that makes one think, do I have a cranky Snurtch like Ruthie does? The Snurtch represents rudeness and bad attitude and uncontrolled emotions - which we all have at one time or another. Great illustrations.
Bunni
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Like 3.5...sounds like ruthie needs some discipline!
Donna
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Dang, so that is what it is called? A Snurtch! Amazing illustrations. The eyes are a bit spooky; glass-like a dolls' eyes. You can feel this childs' emotions. A very fun book.
Victoria
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Kids will probably love this book - the drawings, monsters, misbehaving children. I hope they embrace it as a silly monster story or they read it with an adult who can explain it in context. Because on a deeper level, this book bothered me.

Really bothered me.

The little girl does mean, bratty things and it gets explained away as her invisible monster Snurtch. It is HIS fault she stole the crayons. I sort of get where that is coming from, we all act out and have bad moments, blah-blah-blah. I ge
Alicia Letsche
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ruthie is having some trouble at school. It's not because of her schoolwork, not because of her classmates, it's the snurtch. It seems all that the snurtch wants to do is get Ruthie in trouble at school; whether it be throwing pencils, making rude noises, or ruining her classmates artwork. Ruthie finally decides enough is enough, and shares with the class her drawing of the snurtch, explaining that it's the one causing her to get in trouble. After sharing this with the class, the snurtch still h ...more
Nicole Korpela
Summary
The Snurtch is about a little girl named Ruthie who has a Snurtch follow her around all day. This Snurtch makes her blurt out, tear other students artwork and do other rude things to her classmates. When her teacher tells her to stop doing the rude things she is doing, Ruthie blames the Snurtch. During an art project Ruthie draws her Snurtch and shares it with her classmates. Her classmates recognize the Snurtch as the one who has been doing all of those rude things. Ruthie finds out that
Debra
Sep 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Ruthie is a spunky girl who has difficulty behaving in school all because of “the Snurtch.” It makes her scribble, and takes her seat so she can’t sit down, and burps in class among other obnoxious things. When given the chance to draw in art class Ruthie draws a picture of her Snurtch and all of the other kids identify with her drawing. They all have a Snurtch of their own. It’s a fun twist on learning to turn misbehavior into positive behavior with a little understanding.

Activity: If you had a
Ashley Handzlik
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Summary: This one little girl named Ruthie has a problem in school but it is no ordinary problem. Her problem is that she has a Snurtch and this snurtch makes her do bad things even when she doesn't want to. One day in class, they were drawing something and she drew her and the snurtch and finally stood up to him. Her snurtch still does bad things but is also sorry sometimes. She came to the conclusion that other kids have their own snurtch.

Activity: Have the children draw their own snurch and a
Kayla Torson
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Summary:
Ruthie is a girl who has a problem at school. That problem does not have anything to do with school or the students, it has to do with the Snurtch. The Snurtch is constantly getting Ruthie into trouble and makes it very hard for Ruthie to concentrate during school. However, Ruthie finally finds a way to put an end to the Snurtch's mayhem, but how?

Activity:
I think it would be fun to have all the children draw their own Snurtch after reading the book. Then I hang them up around the class
Edwina
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read this to every class this week. It really gets them talking and thinking. But we all agree, we all have a Snurtch. And when that Snurtch acts up then we have to say we're sorry.

I think every teacher wants a copy in their classroom.

I started reading it to my older students but the most receptive students were the three year olds. "Hey, everyone has a Snurtch!" said one little guy. Another said, when we looked at Ruthie's drawing, "Ruthie is the Snurtch!" And then we all talked about wha
Kate Puleo Unger
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ages 4-6

This book is so great. Ruthie hates school - not because of the people or the work, but because her Snurtch is always there with her. He throws pencils, he destroys George's artwork, and he makes weird noises at recess. The Snurtch is the personification of Ruthie's emotions coming out. When she's unable to control herself, it's the Snurtch. She soon realizes that others have one too.

Jana
This is a fun and engaging picture book that many young readers will be able to relate to. "Ruthie has a problem at school. It is not the students. It is not the classroom. It is not the reading or the writing or the math. It is the Snurtch." All sorts of misbehavior is due to Ruthie's Snurtch. Everyone has there own Snurtch. Acknowledging it seems to be the first step towards getting it under control. The digital illustrations are adorable.
Libby In Libraryland
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite part was when all the kids realized that the Snurtch was the one causing all the trouble in the classroom. I wonder about the coping mechanism of needing an outside thing to blame as opposed to accepting responsibility for one's own actions. Yet each child found they had their own Snurtch and drew a picture of it, so I suppose that resolves it.
Judy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
What a wonderful book to explore what it means to have negative emotions as a child. Will be reading at my next storytime.
Nicole
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great to open conversation about controlling emotions/impulses. Puts a kid-friendly name to it & story shows kids they are not alone, that everyone has their own snurtch!
Zinnia Bayardo
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some days are snurtch days. Yup, I totally get that! And now I know what to call those pesky days.
Taylor Ferrante
The Snurtch is about a girl named Ruthie who has a Snurtch who follows her around school and makes it miserable for her.The Snurtch makes her do rude things and be mean to others. I draws on her neighbors paper and does a lot of other mean things. One day in art class Ruthie is finally able to draw the snurtch and she shares in front of everyone. Once she shares about her Snurtch, she realizes that she is not alone and that everyone around her has a Snurtch.
I do not know how I could use this in
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Ferrell, Sean The Snurtch, illustrated by Charles Santoso. PICTURE BOOK. Antheneum (Simon & Schuster), 2016 $17.99.

Ruthie's got a problem. There is a Snurtch that keeps getting her into trouble at school. It throws pencils, makes rude noises, and forgets questions. It even tears up others drawings in art class. Ruthie, decides she has got to do something about the Snurtch. She focuses really hard and begins to draw the Snurtch. She even shares her drawing with the class so they can see the
Maddy Mullin
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Ruthie has a problem at school called the Snurtch. He is always messing with her classmates and getting her in trouble. One day she draws the Snurtch and shows her classmates and they say thats who has been bothering us. They all love her drawing. She no longer worries about the Snurtch because it turns out everyone has a Snurtch.

I thought this book was very cute. The illustrations in this are so good!! I love how he mixes cartoon characters with drawn characters. It was a bit hard to follow th
Carson Gentry
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book!

This book is about a child named Ruthie who has this thing call a snurtch that bothers her and her classmates. It makes pencils fly across the room and it scribbles all over a classmates paper. It sits in Ruthie's seat and it makes her burp and laugh loudly. Everyone in the class has a snurtch but no one knows how to control it.

I love this book because I feel like it sheds light on whats going on in some students heads. They know whats right and wrong but sometimes they just can
  • Lizard from the Park
  • We're in the Wrong Book!
  • And Away We Go!
  • Bernice Gets Carried Away
  • An Annoying ABC
  • Little Bird's Bad Word: A Picture Book
  • The Bad Mood and the Stick
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Nobody's Duck
  • The Very Fluffy Kitty, Papillon (Papillon, #1)
Sean Ferrell lives and works in New York City. He writes novels and picture books.

His novels include Man In The Empty Suit and Numb: A Novel.
His picture books are I Don't Like Koala and The Snurtch.

Sean has been published in several literary journals, including The Adirondack Review which awarded him the Fulton Prize for his short story "Building an Elephant."