Start by marking “Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)

Spirit Week Showdown

(The Magnificent Mya Tibbs #1)

Nine-year-old Mya Tibbs is boot-scootin’ excited for the best week of the whole school year—SPIRIT WEEK! She and her megapopular best friend, Naomi Jackson, even made a pinky promise to be Spirit Week partners so they can win the big prize: special VIP tickets to the Fall Festival!

But when the partner picking goes horribly wrong, Mya gets paired with Mean Connie Tate—the
Published January 26th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Spirit Week Showdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit Week Showdown

Start your review of Spirit Week Showdown (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #1)
Ezinwanyi
My 8 year old daughter loved it and wrote a book review. Below is what she typed.

I loved this book!!!!
I like how Mya became friends with Connie. I also liked how Mya was really creative with spirit week. And even if she didn’t win spirit day she got something even better so I liked that things didn’t go the way that she planned she still got good things. I also liked Nugget’s friend Fish he was really funny and was really nice. Solo was not a nice person he was not actually Nugget’s friend he
Russell Sanders
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can’t imagine a middle grade aged child not loving Mya Tibbs, for I can’t fathom anyone of any age not falling instantly in love with this little girl. That’s what happened to me! Author Crystal Allen, with The Magnificent Mya Tibbs: Spirit Week Showdown, has created a captivating, energetic, ‘always has a plan’ nine year old, and Mya wins your heart. Allen’s amazing little girl from Bluebonnet, Texas, is convinced she can conquer the world—or at least win the spirit week challenge at her ...more
Angela Blount
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.5 Stars

A stereotype hog-tying tale of friendship, loyalty, empathy, and forgiveness.

This book explores the pitfalls of “popularity,” along with the folly of judging people by their looks, clothing, or the rumors spread about them. It also examines the many faces of bullying—all on a vibrant level that most elementary-aged children should be able to connect with.

Mya Tibbs is a spirited, well-meaning 4th-grader with a cowgirl obsession and a knack for tall tales. When a promise accidentally
Sherry Philippus
I wasn't excited about this Texas Bluebonnet nominee - the cover art didn't appeal to me, and the summary sounded like it was going to be a light, fluffy, girl-drama kind of read and I hate those. But it was short, and having just finished a heavy book I needed something light, so I jumped in. Boy, was I surprised! This story pulled a deep - and not easy - emotional response from me; I even found myself thinking about the characters the day after I finished the book, as if they were real. That's ...more
Vonna Carter
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg
Early middle grade readers have a new best friend! Crystal Allen has created a unique, jump-off-the-page character in Mya Tibbs, the rootin’est tootin’est kid in fourth grade. The wonderful cast of school friends (and enemies), teachers, school principal (you’re going to love his Spirit Week costume!) and a warm, loving family guarantee this series will be a sure hit.
Andrea
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mya and her best friend Naomi, want to win the school's contest for VIP tickets to the festival but when things don't go their way, Mya learns what real friendships are all about along with some hard lessons on trust and loyalty. This is a great story for students in 3rd grade and up.
Allison
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for kids of all ages! I love Mya, her spunk and her ka-clunck!
Thank you, Crystal Allen.
Maya White-Lurie
This was ok, but nothing super special. If a kid really loves spirit week, they might be interested in the story. The narrative voice feels forced.
Aeicha
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spirit Week is the best week at school and 9 year old Mya Tibbs is excited to be Spirit Week partners with her very popular BFF, Naomi Jackson. If the two girls win, they get coveted VIP tickets to the Fall Festival. But then things don’t go as planned and Mya ends up with Mean Connie Tate as a partner, and Naomi is furious. So furious, that other kids are calling Mya names and she has to think of a way to win back her BFF and survive being Connie’s partner. Good gravy!

Crystal Allen’s The
Annette
SPIRIT WEEK SHOWDOWN by Crystal Allen is the first book in the new Magnificent Mya Tibbs series for middle grade readers.

Mya and her best friend Naomi plan to win the Spirit Week partners competition. However when Mya is reluctantly paired with Mean Connie Tate, her hopes for winning VIP tickets to the Fall Festival quickly disappear. This authentic, endearing story explores many kinds of friendships and what it means to be a friend.

Librarians will find this charming and often humorous book to
Whitney
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really cute. I liked the messages on friendship and family that this book showed. Especially the family aspect. The children (Mya and Nugget) are very considerate and helpful to their parents. Their parents were really sweet and supportive, waiting for their kids to come to them with problems while knowing there was something going on. They allowed their kids to try and work it out on their own first without automatically stepping in.

The only thing I didn’t like is that the teacher is
Melanie Dulaney

Crystal Allen has written a wonderful book for my girls! Mya Tibbs is just like any of my students-struggling to make good decisions, trying make good friends and be one, and dealing with the ups and downs of school, family and life in general. And she does it with exuberance and joy, always throwing 100% at every task. I loved this book and know that my fourth and fifth graders will, too. Teachers will appreciate the cast of well-developed characters, the clear plot, and themes of friendship,
Ms. Arca
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Mya’s family so much by the end of this book. I enjoyed the nuances of friendship, Mya’s relationship with her brother (and that we got another semi central character figure that wasn’t just all girls), and Connie made me feel inspired!

I also want to note there were a few truly beautiful scenes about talking about your struggles with loved ones, and a father figure who talks about feelings and openly shows care. This black family (!!!!!!!) is just what I’ve always wished I could’ve read
Abby
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for a 4th grade girl. It's a nominee for the Young Hoosier Book Award (Indiana - kids read and then vote). I don't see it winning because it doesn't have universal appeal to boys. There is also an attempt at Texan/kid vocabulary (anyone ever heard of something being boo-yang cool?) that I could see the kids rolling their eyes at. Not my favorite, but has some good lessons about friendship.
Mrs. Schuld
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! It was sweet and heartwarming. I wish Naomi would have had some kind of punishment for being so nasty, but I guess a good life lesson is that you can only choose how you respond to other people. It seemed like some of the characters were either too old or too young compared to one another. I felt like Connie seemed too mature for Mya. However, Mya saying, “I’ll make better mistakes tomorrow” was just the best line of the whole book.
Sean
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I will have so many kiddos who will love this book. I, unfortunately, did not enjoy it. This is a very predictable book and the dialogue is sometimes all over the place. Students will love Mya and the sweet story. It is a great book to use for bullying and friendship with a class of students. I was just wishing for something stronger, but I know my students will be happy with Mya Tibbs.
Autumn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Irresistible 4th grade heroine and an engaging cast of characters learn some rough lessons about friendship in this school/family story set in Texas.

Love the setting and the dynamic between her brother and the popular kid, especially. Really smart about the inner lives of 4th graders. Also, super fun and cute in a way that real kids would like.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I read an ARC of this story about a girl working through troubles with friends-something almost all students will relate to, but in this case, Mya has to solve her problems by the end of her school's Spirit Week. Students will enjoy this humorous story as each day's events unfold.
Katie Hollyfield
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
My kids really liked this book. It made them laugh, but also had good messages about real friendship, bullying and the damage that gossip and rumors can cause. The characters are lovable, and while parents may find the plot predictable, kids will be cheering for Mya, and happy with the ending.
Denise
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good gravy in the Navy that was good!!!
Michele Knott
Mya is a fun character and I think young readers will like her. There were parts of the story that I chuckled out loud and parts that made me think about real life situations.
JillyG
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about friendship and family. I liked the cowgirl/ranch theme.
Melissa Aguirre
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
Very cute read!!! :-)
Kirsten Murphy
Maddy's rating
"I like how Mya Tibbs becomes friends with Connie"

Hudson’s review 3.5 stars
“I liked the ending.”
Cortney
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mini Me Rating
Cindy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bluebonnet
Great story about friendship. Wonderful characters that reflect the hardships encountered while trying to figure out who your "real" friends are.
Janni
Really enjoyed this warm-hearted yet funny story friendship (and family) story.
Stephanie Croaning
Mya Tibbs is a young lady with a huge personality who is facing a friendship crisis...sometimes it's difficult to tell the difference between a friend and a bully.

Chapter book, fiction
Interest level: grades 3 through 5
YHBA 2017-2018 intermediate grade nominee
3 out of 5 stars

Mya Tibbs is a 4th grader who lives in Texas and loves the rodeo. Her idols are Annie Oakley and Cowgirl Claire. She wears cowboy boots to school, braids her hair to match the calendar, and has a best friend named Naomi. Or
Reading is my Escape
I'm only wearing five braids to school today.
- First Sentence

Mya is excited for Spirit Week and she is counting down the days with her braids. When she gets to one, it will be time for Spirit Week. But the partner picking doesn't go her way and she ends up with Mean Connie Tate (the school bully) for a partner instead of her best friend Naomi.

As Mya would say, "good gravy." And she says that often as she tries to navigate friendships, bullies, and Spirit Week challenges. Mya learns a lot about
Yapha
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth grader Mya Tibbs loves Spirit Week and she is especially looking forward to this year, since the winning spirit partners for each grade will get VIP tickets to the Fall Festival. Mya is also excited to partner with her new best friend Naomi and is eagerly counting down to the start. But when the partners are picked, Mya is paired with Mean Connie Tate who refuses to switch. Now Naomi is blaming Mya for breaking her pinkie promise of winning, and turning the rest of her friends against her ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lights, Camera, Cook! (Next Best Junior Chef, #1)
  • Ugly Cat & Pablo
  • A True Home (Heartwood Hotel, #1)
  • Overboard! (Survivor Diaries)
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • I Love You, Michael Collins
  • The Sweetest Sound
  • Home Sweet Motel (Welcome to Wonderland, #1)
  • The Ark Plan (Edge of Extinction, #1)
  • Little Cat's Luck
  • The Great Shelby Holmes (The Great Shelby Holmes, #1)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Doublecross: And Other Skills I Learned as a Superspy
  • Lemons
  • Wedgie & Gizmo
  • The Great Treehouse War
  • Lola Levine: Drama Queen
  • The Bicycle Spy

The Magnificent Mya Tibbs (3 books)
  • The Wall of Fame Game (The Magnificent Mya Tibbs, #2)
  • Mya in the Middle