Start by marking “A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book” as Want to Read:
A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book

A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A Jewish Womans Prayer Book by Lavie, Aliza. Published by Spiegel & Grau,2008, Binding: Hardcover
Published December 2nd 2008 by Spiegel & Grau (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Jewish Woman's Prayer Book

Melissa Standley
Mar 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jewish women, maybe some Christians
Recommended to Melissa by: I found it on amazon after learning about techines.
Shelves: religion
I ordered this book because I learned, last month, for the first time of techines, women's prayers written in vernacular languages--usually Yiddish but sometimes Ladino and other languages--from the late Middle Ages to the early twentieth century. This book, The Jewish Women's Prayer Book, includes many of the published techines, plus some newer prayers written by and for women. There is one written on toilet paper by women imprisoned in one of the camps during the Shoah.

The prayers in the book,
Korri
Jul 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a wonderful collection of prayers by, for & about women through the various experiences and emotions of their lives (desire for a worthy spouse, birth, motherhood, feasts and festivals, doubt & fear, etc).

I found myself especially touched by the recorded prayers of crypto-Jews. Because of the necessary secrecy that made their worship an oral tradition, these women's prayer were a patchwork quilt of the psalms, Shema and Birkat Hamazon, illustrating for us that it is not the word
Amy
I love this prayer book, even if the audience is Jewish women, so many of the prayers are applicable to all women. There are prayers for oneself, family, husband, future husband, neighbors, mourners, life situations. It's on my wishlist because I'd really like to have a copy of my own for future reference.
Nora
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: judaism
They are all really lovely and unique prayers, however they concentrate more on the life of a married woman. I do not get up early to make porridge for my children and therefore do not have to pray for my children's and my husband's wellbeing...
I don't recommend it to women who are not married and have children because many of the prayers do not apply to you.
But if you do have children and a husband then go ahead!
Jennifer Cassell
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
A compilation of prayers and poems written by, for or about women. Not something that would replace an everyday prayer book, but an interesting additional supplement.
Judy
Feb 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is ongoing reading. A cherished a volume in my Judaica collection.
Janet