Start by marking “My Year in the No-Man's-Bay” as Want to Read:
My Year in the No-Man's-Bay

My Year in the No-Man's-Bay

Peter Handke has been acclaimed as "unmistakably one of the best writers we have in that self-discovering tendency we call post-modernism" (Malcolm Bradbury, New York Times Book Review). In his new novel. Handke tells the story of an Austrian writer -- a man much like Handke himself -- who explores world and describes his many severed relationships, ranging from the ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Farrar Straus Giroux (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about My Year in the No-Man's-Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Year in the No-Man's-Bay

Start your review of My Year in the No-Man's-Bay
Johannes
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
It was thrilling. It was absolute drivel. I can't talk about it. Let me tell you everything about it. Wonderful. Awful. There is no sense in it. There is a whole world of sense in it. I can't explain how thrilling it is. I can't describe how maddeningly boring it is. I only skimmed a few pages. I read the whole books many times. I definitely have given up on it, I'll never open it again, I'll sell my copy. I cannot and shall not stop rereading it. Handke? Try yourself.
Susanne
„Ich mußte nach Hause in die Bucht, ohne meine Anwesenheit da, all das Jahr durch, verlöre das Buch seinen Ort und seinen Grund.“

Ein Buch wie eine Meditation.
Ein Schriftsteller schreibt über sieben Freunde, darunter sein Sohn, alle in irgendeiner Form auf Reisen. Er schreibt über die Frau, die er liebt, mit der er lebt, mit der er den Sohn hat und doch verlassen sie sich immer wieder, kann er das Leben mit einem Alltag kaum ertragen, denn alles ist eigentlich auf diese Meditation, die sein
Ugur
Jul 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Son zamanlarda okuduğum en zorlayıcı ve zevksiz kitaplardan biri oldu. Kitabın uzun ve serbest bilinç akışı yöntemi ile yazılmış olmadı okunurluğu azaltıyor.

Yazar kendi hayatından kesitleri gerçeklerle harmanlayarak, farklı şehirlerde geçen hayatını ve kitabını nasıl yazdığını anlatıyor.

Serbest bilinç akışı ile aram iyi olmadığı için ben sevemedim.

Puanlama yaptığımda her ne kadar türü sebebiyle çok uygun olmasa da ben yine de bir puanlama yapmak istedim. Toplam puanım 1.0 çıktı, yani "did not
Lolo
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un livre très difficile à décrire ! On sent une part autobiographique, une part biographique(s) et en plus tout le reste ! Et tout le reste, c'est par exemple un décor, un lieu à priori moins que commun, sans intérêt, qui serait un trésor à qui sait s'y intéresser, le regarder pour ce qu'il est. Il y a comme trois livres en un ; il y a beaucoup de choses et c'était à la fois intéressant et agréable. Seul sentiment négatif : le possible dévoilement de traits de personnalité, d'anecdotes, de ...more
John
Jul 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book! Great author! Major journey of mind, senses, consciousness...all in one place.
Graziano
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: verona-library
Il mio sogno entrò in fiaba e divenne terra.
(pagina 500)

In lieblicher Blaue bluhet mit dem metallenen Dache der Kirckturm…
(Nel soave azzurro brilla con il suo tetto metallico il campanile…)

Hölderlin

Dove abita poeticamente l’uomo?

Quando l’abitare ci conduce al tempo, al lavoro, al quotidiano, il poeticamente contraddice il fare (ossia l’abitare)…

E a cosa ci porta questa riflessione?

Gli angeli tutti sono presi
da un nuovo turbamento:
certo non fu mai cosí intenso
e vago il desiderio.
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant, haunting, wondrous and inexplicable in other words. Replete with imagery that an artist could bring into the dimensional world as the author has brought it into the world of ideas. Simultaneously simple and complex which are no longer contradictions.
William
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A JOURNAL, that one is compelled to read and at times endure. Still when I thought to quit, pressed on, found treasures. Supposedly a novel, I disagree. Feels and is wholly structured as a nonfiction book. And, it's a blessing to have.
Elie
Brilliant, wide-eyed in its scope, the best book I've read about writing so far. Sign me up for more Handke.
Till
rated it did not like it
Jan 17, 2019

• A Time for Everything
  • Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior
  • Little Siberia
  • Efectul muzicii asupra animalelor
Peter Handke is an Avant-garde Austrian novelist and playwright. His body of work has been awarded numerous literary prizes, including the Nobel Prize in Literature in 2019. He has also collaborated with director Wim Wenders, writing the script for The Wrong Move and co-writing the screenplay for Wings of Desire.