Start by marking “Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)

Underdead (Underdead Mystery #1)

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  361 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Newbie science teacher Jo Gartner thinks her life has reached an all time low when she realizes the biggest excitement of her year is the staff Christmas party.

Then she gets bitten by a vampire.

Sort of.

And then she’s a murder suspect.

The police are at her door, the Undead are at her windows, and her vampire traits are growing harder to hide by the minute.

If she doesn’t fi
Published January 29th 2008 by Cerridwen Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Underdead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underdead

Joanne Moyer
3.5*s

Science teacher Jo Gartner thinks her life can not get much worse... then she meets Mr Tall Dark and Handsome at the faculty Christmas party and is smitten... kind of.. She's not sure what's going on with the attraction and later realizes that he's a vampire and has bitten her ... kind of. She's not undead and not really alive... she's Underdead. She has some vampire abilities but not really enough to do her any good
and she's not too crazy about the afflictions, like being sensitive to sunl
Inara
Jo Gartner, 22 years old and eighth grade science teacher has never met a man like Will. At the Schools boring christmas party at a restaurant she notices a gorgeous man whos looking at her with interest and her co-workers coax her into speakingwith him. Its a pleasurable conversation and Jo is really taken with her new acquaintance and when Will wants to give her a kiss she doesnt really resist. But when Will suddenly bites her, Jos indignant, defends herself and gets away. She doesnt know shes ...more
Beanbag Love
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Paranormal mystery series about a science teacher who gets partially turned into a vampire. It's an odd combination that had its moments. Unfortunately, I felt the need to skim a lot as it just wasn't keeping my interest. The scene resolving the mystery was fairly disappointing as well. But there is an interesting relationship that seems to be building -- although there's also a triangle of sorts which is kryptonite to me as a reader -- that might be worth following to the second book.

All-in-all
Bluegravity
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alright- to begin, I know I'm being shallow, but the cover really has to go. Not only is it too childish for the storyline itself, but it does not convey the attributes, physical and otherwise, of the main character it is supposed to portray. Instead, it is a picture of a girl seemingly playing dress-up with lipstick on her teeth. I almost regretted getting it until I got to page....45? or so. The author tries to portray age and passion and all that, but it seems a little forced. As well, her "c ...more
Kat Jorgensen
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Recommended to Kat by: the author
Fun read with great plot and interesting characters.
Star
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
unique from all other vampire stories. read even if you're not a vampire fan.
Lizi
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This one took me a while to complete, which is abnormal. I wasn’t hooked at any particular point. So here’s my honest review.

Jo is a middle school science teacher who is just trying to get through the year without being the subject of gossip. As the new teacher she feels as if she needs to prove herself. But when sitting at the Christmas dinner she is noticed by a very handsome man, which her friends proceed to point out. They encourage her to go near him and when she does she is drawn to him. H
Rachel
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jo is an 8th grade earth science teacher, gorgeous, redheaded, single, with a tiny apartment, a huge workload and a love life which is DOA. Then, a chance meeting at a deathly boring work night out puts her in the arms and clutches of Will, a compelling, tall dark stranger, and a kiss turns into something more exciting, terrifying and confusing than anything Jo has ever endured, but will she survive it?

I loved this story. I love the supernatural books, vamps, supes, werewolves etc but this one i
Annette M Guerriero Nishimoto
Today's review is on Underdead by Liz Jasper

I will be the first to admit that I often like to take a break from my normal paranormal flavor of books to enjoy one a little less serious and with a little more snark. Underdead fits that bill.

When Jo Gartner; an eighth-grade science teacher; is bitten by the stunningly, handsome Will, she thinks that she may have contracted AIDS or some other disease only to be assured by the ER that all is as it should be. When she suddenly becomes allergic to the
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Jo Gartner is an 8th grade science teacher out to dinner with the Science Dept. when she meets a hot, handsome hunk named Will. They discuss books for awhile then all of a sudden Will kisses her leaving Jo under his spell. Literally. When he bites her neck she comes to her senses and with a few well-placed jabs gets away from him.

She wakes up the next morning in her own apartment with no idea how she got there, but she feels as if she’s been on a ten-day bender. When she walks out to her living
Kris
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an interesting read. Jo Gartner is a middle school Earth Science teacher. So not only does she have to deal with pre-teens but all the fun stuff that comes with being a teacher, like faculty Christmas parties. She finds herself, with the "help" of her Chemistry teacher friend Becky meeting an incredibly attractive man named Will, who after a few minutes of conversation bites her! What follows next is a pretty standard crime cozy with the added problems of the now "underdead" Jo. Not a v ...more
Dianne
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very promising first book in what I hope becomes a long term series. It did have some minor editing problems but nothing that will make you run screaming. The lack of sexual tension was refreshing to me, since this particular genre is filled with that. I won't say that there is no interest between the sexes, but Ms Jasper is going to (at least it seems to me) take her time in building the relationships first, the sexual stuff seems secondary or even tertiary. I love that because it wil ...more
Linda Andrews
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle school science teacher Jo Gartner is having a faculty Christmas party to remember. It starts with a boring speech by the department head and end with an interlude on the balcony that leaves her bitten on the neck and partially turned into a vampire. The sun allergies and disappearing reflection are only part of her problems. When a fellow science teacher ends up dead, she becomes the prime suspect and an object of rumor and innuendo.

Underdead is a quirky mystery set against the backdrop
Lisa Maddison
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the premise of the story, a young science teacher is a christmas party and bored, so when a friend comments that a handsome stranger is checking her out, she decides to take advantage of the situation to get away from some of her co-workers. Unfortunately the handsome strangers is someone she is not expecting a vampire and when he bites her and she is able to get away but later finds out that she is slowly be turned into a vampire herself, this teacher doesn't know what to do. When a det ...more
Mara
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
2 1/2

I'm not sure if this is a self pub book. In theory it has a publisher, but there are too many typos and missing words to be considered edited.

The story is cute, even if the plot is at times confusing. Both the mystery and the story surrounding the vamps are less then clear. The ending (with the culprit revealed) was particularly weird for me.

This is mostly a chick-lit kind of book: fun and fluffy. With the exception of Jo, all the other characters were mostly one-dimensional and in more tha
Cat
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My friend left her e-reader at our house after a party and while snooping I found the Underdead series. I'll admit I was a little hesitant wondering how on earth a middle school teacher be entertaining but man was I wrong. I completely fell in love with Jo who was oblivious to her own appeal, a science geek and a stress baker. She was quirky without being over the top and I found myself giggling and laughing during this book enough that my husband gave me a weird look as he was walking past the ...more
Kribu
I struggled a bit with this at first - the beginning felt a little rough and I wasn't sure I was going to like it - but I ended up enjoying Underdead a fair bit.

It's pretty light and fluffy, which is a big reason why I'm not rounding my 3.5 stars up to four, and could have done with some tighter editing at times, but it was a fun, decent read. I liked the school setting, and while none of the characters really jumped out at me as being incredibly well-drawn, they weren't completely flat either.
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Liz Jasper really takes the modern vampire and spins it on its head with this book. Her story is unique, original, and a great read. The characters are real, and could easily be people that you are neighbors with. I love the fact that Jo is a science teacher and who wouldn't want a Gavin in their life? It was an excellent paced book. I highly recommend it. I cannot wait to read the next one. I hope that she continues to write more with Jo and Gavin in the future!
Bitten_by_Books
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: becky
When first year eighth grade science teacher Jo Gartner is bitten by a vampire named Will, he expects her to turn. She does…somewhat. Jo develops a craving for rare meat and a nasty allergy to the sun but is not a full vampire...

For the entire review please go to the Best Paranormal & Urban Fantasy Review site on the web, Bitten By Books for the review of Underdead in it's entirety. You won't be sorry.
Jesse Kimmel-Freeman
Eileen Magill
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to hear Liz Jasper read from her book at the Sisters in Crime Showcase. I was intrigued by the concept and got the books. I have just finished Underdead, the first in the series, and LOVED it. It has a fresh take on the old classic vampire novel, with enough humor without getting silly. I highly recommend this series! I am very hesitant to give 5 stars for reviews, but I enjoyed every aspect of this story, so it gets a 5. I can't wait to get started on book 2 now.
Kristi
Jan 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was cute, light, easy to read stuff. It didn't tax my brain too much or make me ponder anything really. The characters were nice, the mystery was slightly predictable and I found myself caring less about the mystery and more about the main character who was cute and likable. Overall, something I will probably read more of when this is the sort of story I want.
Elizabeth
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
What happens if you have a run in with vampire, but don't quite make the change? What if you're a high school teacher and have to still keep living your life?

Then you are Underdead.

Great premise, wonderful main character. Readable, fun, complex characters.

I will be reading the rest of the series.
Dianna Moore
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a former third grade teacher this book is one of my all time favorite vampire books. The main char. is well developed and I the reader is drawn into the world. I would rank this book up next to, Sunshine.
Lenore Kosinski
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, pixel-of-ink
I'm not even sure how to describe it...it was definitely funny, but also dark at times. A sort of realistic take on vampires in the real world maybe...or rather how you would react after being bitten. Hmmm...not even sure that is what I think, but I really loved it. Just describing some of the scenes to my husband made me giggle. Looking forward to the sequel.
Kimberly
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampire
I had to score this one very high because it was well written and was one of the best vampire books I have read. I get tired of the same old, look into his eyes and fall madly in love. Nice read and I'll be reading the next book.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I finished this book last night and I thought it was ok. I'm not into the paranormal but thought I would try a book. It just seemed to start off weird and seemed to be full of cliche's about vampires.

It isn't a horrible read but I just didn't get into it like I do most other books.
Carolin
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Underdead was special. In a good way. It doesn't follow the ordinary pattern for this kind of book, which makes it a interesting read. A real page-turner, despite the lack of "fighting enormous monster until I almost dies".
Annie Bell
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Enjoyed it more than I thought I would! Good premise, decent plot, enjoyed the characters. Looking forward to the second one!
Mandy Silman-Herbert
Feb 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
If I could give it less than one star I would. The story made no sense, the characters were one dimensional and I was still confused as to what the story was by the end of the book.
  • Sweet Chaos (Kali Sweet, #2)
  • The Guardian of Bastet
  • Blood of Innocence (Sloane Skye, #2)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Rock 'n' Roll is Undead (Veronica Mason, #1)
  • Blood War (Blood Destiny, #8)
  • To Catch A Vampire (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #2)
  • Sapphire Eyes (The Secret Society of Magical Medics #1)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6)
  • Cassidy Jones and the Luminous (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #4)
  • Be My Banshee (Purple Door Detective Agency #1)
  • Save the Last Vamp for Me (Discord Jones #3)
  • The Gift Shop
  • Deceptions (Demonkin, #2)
  • New Blood (Vampire in the City, #1)
  • Elemental Rising (Paranormal Public, #2)
Liz Jasper's first novel, UNDERDEAD, won the 2008 EPPIE Award for Best Mystery. The sequel, UNDERDEAD IN DENIAL, was published the following year to critical acclaim. She took a brief break from humorous vampire mysteries to write the first novel in the Crimson trilogy, CRIMSON IN THE VERY WRONG FAIRY TALE Liz is hard at work on the next book in both series.

Liz's first job out of college was teac
More about Liz Jasper

Underdead Mystery (2 books)
  • Underdead in Denial (Underdead Mystery #2)
“Whether I liked to admit it or not, every girl secretly wants her own personal champion, someone who’ll rush in and beat the crap out of anyone who looks at her sideways. The kicker, of course, is there’s a fine line between a knight in shining armor and a chauvinistic jerk. I want someone who will go to bat for me, not take away my bat and tell me to sit nicely on the bench where I won’t get dirty, if you know what I mean.” 0 likes