Start by marking “Red Pen Redemption” as Want to Read:
Red Pen Redemption

Red Pen Redemption

What if God took you up on a dare?
Helen Bancroft's led a good life and feels no need for her daughter's Savior. When God accepts Helen's dare to edit her autobiography and prove her righteousness, she's in for a lesson in her own history. One woman's journey from unbelief to acceptance turns into the Christmas Eve adventure of a lifetime beneath the red pen of Christ's me
Published November 19th 2015 by Elk Lake Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Red Pen Redemption, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Pen Redemption

Start your review of Red Pen Redemption
Deana Dick
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have not read a book this powerful and life changing in a very long time. I have always thought my relationship with God was good. After reading this very emotional story, I realize I have a lot of work to do. I don't think I would be as brave as Helen and challenge God like she did. Her family always prayed that she would someday know Him. One Christmas Eve , Helen will find her life unfolding before her eyes.

As the evening progressed Helen was preparing her gift to her grandson. It was a ma
Jackie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Red Pen Redemption by Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a captivating story set on Christmas Eve. Lifelong journalist, Helen Bancroft, endeavors to leave her autobiography for her family, especially for her grandson. Independent and self-made, she has no need for a belief in a Savior, unlike the rest of her family. Even her late husband at the last of his life began a relationship with Jesus.

On Christmas Eve the rest of her family attend church services, but Helen opts to remain home alone to reflect up
Sheri Yutzy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What if God took you up on a dare? Red Pen Redemption is a poignant retelling of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Lori Roeleveld does a masterful job in opening Helen's eyes to the truth about her own life. Her characters are truly lifelike. I loved the practical and fresh ways she used Scripture to slowly turn Helen from her own arrogance. The ending brought tears to my eyes, but it was so beautiful. A lovely Christmas read!
Deb
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Like the Author - Storyline Okay

This one is a quick read. While there are some potentially gritty, situations, it just fell a bit flat for me. Felt like the story needed to be fleshed out a bit more. Love redemption stories, so glad I read this one but don't expect more than an easy feel-good read.
Pat Lentz
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I find this author's blog very touching and on point most times so I looked forward to this book even never having read any reviews. While it's an interesting approach to an old plot (Scrooge vs the Ghost of Christmas Past) I was disappointed in it. I'm sure others will find it more compelling.
Carolyn
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Didn't want to stop reading. Wanted to see what was going to be revealed to the main character next.
Joan
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you received a challenge from God? You thought you had lived a good enough life to get into heaven, if there really was such a thing. In fact, you had just written a memoir of all the good parts of your life. It would be a gift to your favorite grandson. But then on Christmas Eve you receive a strange box. Inside are a Bible, a pen that writes in red, and a note challenging you to evaluate your life against the Bible.

That's what happened to Helen. She had been a successful r
Robin Luftig
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Would you be bold enough to challenge God with your life? Helen Bancroft did in Lori Roeleveld’s, Red Pen Redemption

It’s a story of Helen’s self-justification and self-indulgence. She is both hero and villain. I loved her and hated her. I wanted to reach through the pages and shake her by her shoulders, then I wanted to hug her close to protect her. Ironically, it wasn’t until I was closing into the end of the story that I realized I had seen myself—my own life—reflected in parts of this story.
Barbara
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Helen was a journalist from the beginning of her life. She worked hard and felt no need for God. In fact, she didn't really like God much at all. One Christmas Eve, as she sat alone in her study, she had her manuscript of her life story before her. She had written it for her grandson as a Christmas gift. She dared the God she did not believe in to "edit" her story. For the rest of the book we are taken on a journey of a life that looks so good at first glance, but with more scrutiny we find it w ...more
Patti Miinch
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In Red Pen Redemption, Lori Stanley Roelveld shares with the reader the captivating and thought-provoking story a woman's reflection on her life in light of her choices and behavior.

Roelveld's protagonist makes a brief reference to A Christmas Carol and the story does begin on Christmas Eve, but this book is far from a retelling of Dickens' classic tale. The plot is well-crafted, and the characters nicely developed and believable. I particularly appreciate Roeleveld's writing style; her use of l
Victoria
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an easy read. Well written with good editing. It was written in the first person. The main character was very well developed. You got to know her well. The other characters were nicely developed as well, but I did not connect with them as much, except for one grandson. The story is a take on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. While I don't agree with some of what is written, the story over all is good. I was given this book in exchange for my honest opinion/review from Bookfun.org.
Becky Canfield
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mysterious ways to the Father

For me, this was a difficult read until I got halfway through the book. I really enjoyed it once I understood what was going on and what the book was about. I received a free copy of this book from the author through a book club through Bookfun magazine in exchange for my honest review.
mtrvrsong
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful & Thought Provoking

One of the best redemption stories that I have ever read. God never gives up & neither should we.... A lesson to take to heart & take to the throne of God as we lift up each of the unsaved we know.
Cherrilynn Bisbano
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A page turner. Red Pen Redemption is a modern A Christmas Carol with a twist. Please don't wait until Christmas to read it. Lori grabs you on page one and does not disappoint.
stacy
Aug 17, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Sep 11, 2016
Lori Roeleveld
Sep 16, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Lacy Lovett
Sep 20, 2016
Jennifer Arnold
Sep 27, 2016
Vicki
Feb 01, 2017
Lori Stanley Roeleveld is a disturber of hobbits who enjoys making comfortable Christians late for dinner.

Her new book, Running from a Crazy Man (and other adventures traveling with Jesus) is available wherever fine books are sold.

Jesus lover. Blogger. Wife. Mother. Part-time dragon slayer. Not available for children's parties.

You’ll find Lori at her website http://www.loriroeleveld.com or on her

News & Interviews