Start by marking “Of Light and Darkness (Of Light and Darkness #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Light and Darkness (Of Light and Darkness #1)

Of Light and Darkness

(Of Light and Darkness #1)

A stunning debut that is a fiercely imaginative, multilayered dark fantasy for fans of The Bear and the Nightingale.

Raised among a secret society of Witches, Shifters, and Elves, human-born Charlotte Ruzikova finds that she is the freak in her world of magic and monsters. When she stands before an army of impossible obstacles, the likelihood of survival in this coming-of-
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 400 pages
Published January 11th 2016 by CreateSpace (first published June 26th 2011)

Shelly Crane
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Okay, I want to preface this review by saying a big "Wow, I was surprised."

I'm not really sure what I was expecting going in. From the synopsis and because it's a vampire book, I was expecting something super dark and broody. Oh, and Mrs. Leighton definitely gave us dark and broody. BUT she also gave us some of the sweetest romance I've had the pleasure of reading in a while. Which is awesome. It's an AMAZING break from the usual bad boy, jerk, drama, whatever that's going on in books these day
Kristerrn!
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
Okay so lets start of with their relationship. It was creepy with a capital C. Seriously this dude is like her adoptive dad, why the hell would he see her as anything other than his daughter. The story was good I liked the way it wasn't just vamps against vamps, there where elves, witches and even spider people (which I loooved). I don't know this story just didn't appeal to me despite it having some of my favourite creatures in. I found myself getting increasingly bored with the story, it was t ...more
Candace Charee'
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of Light and Darkness Is a beautiful magical story that captures you from the first sentence. Shayne has done a most terrific job of bringing you into the story and making you feel as if you were right there with the characters. This book will make you cry, laugh, be afraid and feel pure joy! It is honestly one of the very best books I have ever read! It is master crafted in such a way that gives you hope that there ARE great books out there since Twilight lol I give this book not 5 stars but 50 ...more
alexis
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
Admittedly I didn't make it very far into this before deciding to DNF, but I had some suspicions about where the story was going, so I checked out some reviews. And, unfortunately, I was right. (view spoiler) So yeah, I noped the hell out of there.
Sabrina
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

"I stood and looked at the stars, intricate beading that mapped out our fate. Fate. The world used to mean something. Through now, I learn to only appreciate the tangible, the here and now, and things set before my eyes. My world of magic had become so void of possibility and I'd become my only friend over the vast years that turned on a dial like minutes. Expendable. Life was expendable."

Charlotte is born in a world o
Heather
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First off let me give a huge thank you to Shayne for giving me a copy of this AMAZING book for an honest review.

Wow..just wow. This book left me speechless. It has been a long time sine I've found such an enticing vampire read--and I'm obsessed with vampires. BUT not only does this book have vampires but it has all different types of supernatural beings such as witches, werewolves, elves, shifters, etc. which makes it even more amazing.

Charlotte is our main character of this story. She lives w
Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads
I wanted to fall in love with Shayne Leighton's updated re-release of Of Light and Darkness, I really did. Any NA urban fantasy pitched as featuring paranormal creatures, spellbinding romance, and suspense is bound to capture my attention. Unfortunately, while Of Light and Darkness was very earnest in trying to sweep me away into a fantasy world, it didn't quite succeed...

It took me awhile to warm up to Charlotte and Valek as a romantic couple, mostly because I didn't really believe in their fee
Dawn Vanniman
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, a vampire that acts like a vampire. I mean, Valek needs blood to survive and he doesn't hid it and he doesn't hesitate to do what he has to do to get it. Valek rescued a human child about twenty years ago and now she's all grown up and doesn't look at Valek as a father figure anymore. She's realizing that he's quite the catch and is ready to take on the challenge of being with a vampire. Charlotte is no wimpy girl, she holds her own against werewolves, elves, vampires and witches.

The se
Small Adventures, Full Hearts
I am giving this book 4.5 Star....

Wow.. I absolutely loved this book. It was a complete thrill ride. I loved the taboo romance, the war between light and dark. I loved the dip into a fantasy world that felt so real page after page.

This book had so many incredible layers to it. First Shayne writing was
hands down AMAZING. This book was so beautifully written. The book contained so many dimensions.

I loved the look into a man who believed he was the ultimate "monster", however, I as a reader fell
Jan 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another disappointing vampire read. While Shayne has very lively prose, and is a decent writer, the subject matter of this novel is appalling; I would never give this book to any teen girl (or any woman) to read as it's one of the most anti-feminist (i.e. romanticizes lack of female empowerment, exemplifies female submission) YA books that I've read in a long time. Themes present within the book; female submission (CONSTANTLY) and sacrifice in light of male wants/needs, female sexuality/inno ...more
Natalie Star
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A vampire finds an abandoned human baby - and takes her in to raise her?... okay that concept drew me in. This is Shayne's debut novel so I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved the story and enjoyed the characters. She is heavy on the descriptions and usually that throws me off when I am reading a story, but the way she writes sucked me in. There were no problems with the pacing. If you like vampire reads this is a must for you :)
Janean
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Let me preface this review by letting you know that I received a free electronic copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I took my time writing this review. It was something that I wanted to allow myself to stew on for a little while before I shared my thoughts with the rest of the reading world. This book, in and of itself, is not a bad book, however, I did have some major problems with it that caused me to not feel as strongly about it as I would have liked to have done.

Let me set t
Lisa (littlemeadowreads)
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
*3.5 stars

Of light and darkness is an interesting book. The title already implies that a contrast between light and darkness will play a role in the story; like any good title it does portray its story pretty well. It is the story of a human girl Charlotte who was found by the vampire Valek when she was a baby. She grows up in an occult city where she is the only mortal among mythical creatures, like elves and witches.

Firstly, I got a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a
Rachael Hansen
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read! It had everything you could ask for in a book! A good story line, magic, romance, and drama. Of Light and Darkness shows you the darker more grim side of the life of a vampire in a semi isolated magical world. Light and dark does not necessarily mean good and bad. I can't wait for the next book in April!

Spoiler warning!!! To avoid spoiler do not continue to read this review. You have been warned 😊

I'm still not sure how I feel about Valek and Charlotte relationship. I'm not goi
Justmybookishlife
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
First off I went into this book from the publishing company not know much at all and wasn’t disappointed. It was a real vampire book, some part where dark and bloody but there was just enough and stuck to typical vampy stuff...they definitely didn’t sparkle.

Charlotte was a breath of fresh air, most YA books can have such childish female leads but she was your normal character who made some mistakes but also learned from them. She had her badass moments that had me cheering her on!

I also loved V
Sheila Goicea
Feb 09, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018-releases
Check out my Re-launch post for this book and sequel cover reveal at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com
Elizabeth Mathis
Shayne Leighton's stunning New Adult debut is a fiercely imaginative, multilayered dark fantasy where Alice In Wonderland meets Anne Rice's Interview With The Vampire in a story about a girl caught between two societies . . . two magic sides . . . and two loves.

Charlotte is the only mortal in a society of beasts and nightmarish things. By night, she hunts other humans to satiate her Vampire guardian. By day, she struggles to find her place of belonging among the magic and monsters.
But when war c
Deborah
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it

Valek is a vampire who finds a baby abandoned on the streets of Prague, now he shouldn't have been anywhere near Prague in the first place since the Regime's first law states any Occult Creature must never expose himself to any mortal and this obviously includes entering a human city but Valek's here and he can't ignore the baby so he takes her home.
Charlotte has never known anything else, she's been raised amongst the supernatural and for eighteen years this has been her life but life is becomi
Suzanne
Oct 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
A high 3.5 stars, but not quite 4

This may be one of the more disturbing YA books that I've read but I did really enjoy it and Shayne had no trouble holding my attention from the word go. But it wasn't perfect, and I did have my issues with it. There were some mistakes I noticed, not spelling or grammer, but one thing being said at one stage and then this being completely changed later on. Like at one point, Valek doesn't want Charlotte in the room when he is going to "sleep" because he's most vo
Mandy
I received Of Light and Darkness in return for an honest review from the author. Charlotte was abandoned as an infant rescued by a vampire who raised her as his own. Charlotte grew up in a secret occult world for the last twenty years. Since that night almost twenty years have passed now and Charlotte is a grown girl with more than just maternal feelings for Valek the vampire who raised her. When one of her childhood friends decides an elf decides that he wants Charlotte he turns him over to his ...more
Rachel
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shayne-leighton
My review for the revised version of
Of Light and Darkness

I had read the first copy for; Of Light and Darkness by Shayne Leighton when it was titled; Of Light and Darkness the Vampires Daughter though it was a start for the story. I felt there was something missing I just couldn’t quite put my finger on what it was. The flow was there some time there was a few parts the seemed a little slow but not to the point of wanting to stop. When I found out that Shayne was revising the series I was beyond
Heather B (Owlnestly Reviews)
Owlnestly Book Reviews

I found this book to be quite refreshing. It was everything that I looked for in my reading, but with twists that were unexpected and exhilarating. I loved the fact that the vampires didn't sparkle, and did exactly what vampire should do, which is be a vampire. Shayne didn't try to make the vampires attractive to teenage girls, but they still seemed to be. I have always been attracted to the concept of immortal beings that are dark and misunderstood, but maybe don't really
Cassandra
Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog

I was amazed by Of Light and Darkness since it was unlike most other paranormal books. The romantic dynamic is a different one but sweet. Charlotte has only known Valek her vampire guardian and then he is threatened so she goes against all odds to protect her life with him. Someone close to her wants something different though. Little does Charlotte know that someone. With its sensual feel and paranormal twists you'll be happy
Fathima
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW !!!! Thank you sooooooo much Shayne for bringing back the vampires that we all grew up listening about . Shayne manages to criss cross every recent vampire interpretation that we have heard or read about in recent times and successfully teleports us back to the 'Dracula' days kind of vampires . And she does it with a panache . Valek and Charlotte are just so cute . Their love story,shy and soft . It is definitely one of the best Vampire based love story i've come about . A must read for Vamp ...more
Chantal Gadoury
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is phenomenal. Shayne captures a world that is entirely new and original. The love story is deep and profound, and lingers with you long after you've turned the last page. The characters are so developed, I felt Charlotte and her friends could almost be mine. From the very beginning, the readers are transported to a beautiful European village, and everything is majestic and entrancing. I never wanted to put the book down.
I can't even begin to express how much I LOVE this cover.
Shayne
Booknut
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Booknut by: Shayne Leighton
Unbelievably wonderful! I am NOT a fan of vamp novels - ever since the fateful Bella/Edward gag - but this has re-awoken the old-fashioned vampire-who-knows-his-own-demons and yet has some sort of morals or feelings. I loved every minute of it. My fav character is Sarah. If there was ever a movie I bags being her; a witch with curly brown hair (like mine!) and the ability to kick some serious bad guy ass! I loved, loved, loved it!!

Only criticism? I loved Adrian and yet he was made to look bad.
Lisa
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was pretty good! There were a couple of parts that I felt kind of meh about but the ending was definitely eventful. And some things were left unsaid making me want to read book 2 someday.
diggers~gurl
Michael Welch of the Twilight Saga was just cast to play Aiden in the upcoming film adaptation of this book. Guess I need to get to reading this one. :)
Amy Sheffer
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to read this book! It looks SUPER awesome!
OLAD Re-Release 1 4 Dec 03, 2015 07:07PM
RELEASE - JUNE 28th!!! 1 7 Jun 22, 2011 06:58PM
Of Light and Darkness Release date 1 2 May 18, 2011 08:30AM
  • Wardbreaker (The Lillim Callina Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Court of Vampires (The Shifter Prophecy, #1)
  • The Hunter's Moon (The Secret Warrior, #1)
  • Violet Midnight (Violet Night, #1)
  • Crowned: Their Vampire Princess
  • Dance in the Vampire Bund Vol 6
  • Miss Claus and the Secret Santa (A Shifter Christmas Romance, #1)
  • Thrall
  • Broken Beasts (Xoe Meyers, #3)
  • Playing Hooky (Paranormal Investigations, #1)
  • Wolf Snatched (The Dark Ridge Wolves, #1)
  • Tempted by the Bear: Part 1
  • Claiming the Evil Dead (Soul Catcher Book 1)
  • Wynonna Earp Volume 1: Homecoming (Wynonna Earp #1-6)
  • Starcrossed (The Sherwood Wolves #2)
  • More than a Werewolf (Shifty #1)
  • Breaking the Storm (Credence Curse, #1)
  • Claymore, Vol. 22: Claws and Fangs of the Abyss (Claymore, #22)
With over a decade of experience in the entertainment and publishing industries, Shayne Leighton is a creative professional with edge and quirkiness. Her debut novel, Of Light and Darkness hit Amazon's coveted Top 100 overall bestsellers list once during the fall of 2015, and again in the summer of 2016, reaching the #4 spot. Having a background in film science, Shayne has produced book trailers a ...more

Of Light and Darkness (3 books)
  • Of Blood and Magic
  • The Vampire's Hourglass
“The occult town was vibrant, busy with fiddles playing themselves on street corners, and enchanted paper lanterns hanging mysteriously string-less in the dead of night. Lycanthropes chattered with each other in alleyways between the hotels and inns. Fairies stalked in the shadows, preying on unfortunate cats and mice. Hearty Elves with round bellies and rosy smiles worked late into the night, pushing their wooden carts filled with baked goods and meats.” 0 likes
“Charlotte sighed and, resting her chin on her knees, watched the fire again. Mr. Třínožka placed a hand on her shoulder, which made her feel even warmer. He smelled to Charlotte like one of those butterscotch candies you forgot about in your pocket for a year. The older, the sweeter.” 0 likes