Start by marking “Wake Me Up” as Want to Read:

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
"If you enjoyed The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - you'll LOVE Wake Me Up by Justin Bog."--Melissa Flickinger

A small college town's populace is tied, complicitly, to the brutal, bullying, attack of a teenage boy by four of his classmates. Soon, heated rumors of a possible hate crime surface. Injustice is a hungry beast.

AN ADULTEROUS FATHER IS HAUNTED BY HIS PAST -- HIS WIF
Published January 4th 2016 by Gravity

To ask other readers questions about Wake Me Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Me Up

Tracy Shephard
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lying in a coma after being bashed in the head with a baseball bat, Wake Me Up, is told using Chris's thoughts on his life, his family and is quite unlike anything I have previously read. This is an interesting and cleverly written tale.

Although very real in life, a story involving hate crime about being gay, is the topic of this rather unconventional fictional story. It is very character based and almost quite hypnotic to read. I was very drawn to Maddy.

Family secrets, suicidal thoughts and a l
Eden Baylee
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Secrets. Betrayal. A heinous crime. These are elements that can penetrate the most intimate relationships, those between a husband and wife, a parent and child, and even a doctor and a patient.

Wake Me Up is a novel that cannot be easily categorized. It’s part crime, part psychological suspense, told by an omniscient narrator who draws us into a complex, non-linear plot.

The story takes place in a fictional town in Montana and begins with a vicious attack on a fifteen-year-old boy. Suspecting hi
John
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreword
Reviewed for Foreword Books IndieFab Awards.

Well-told story presented in an interesting style. Kept me engaged the whole way through, an impressive feat considering the preponderance of characters.
Kimberly Hicks
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Sage's Blog Tours
Shelves: read-on-kindle
This story was one that had me on the fence, of sorts. I loved it and hated it at the same time. The realism bitch slaps the hell out of the reader and makes you wake up, literally. It's like the married couple who sees the elephant in the room, but skirts around it so not to disturb what is really going on. Sometimes the most simplest things are the hardest. Often times, if people would just reveal their true feelings, a lot of misunderstandings would disappear. The Bullets were no different. T ...more
Angharad Lodwick
Check out my full review at https://tintededges.com/2017/06/29/wa...
Joe Kraus
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have known Justin Bog since before he was a Justin or a Bog, and it’s a moving experience to read this novel for a glimpse at the kid I knew before I had any real sense of what it meant for someone to be gay. I was generally clueless about the possibility that something like that could inform someone’s identity, and I was certainly clueless about the pain people like protagonist Chris Bullet went through.

And it is a great deal of pain, literal pain, that Chris experiences. It’s no spoiler to
Leigh Podgorski
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Justin Bog
Review

Wake Me Up by Justin Bog is listed as a crime novel, though this multi-layered exploration of a dysfunctional family living in the center of God-fearing Christian country out West in Montana, is much larger than a simple genre, especially one that is such a specific type and category as “crime.”
The story is narrated by young Chris Bullet who is in a coma, and thus marks the uniqueness of Mr. Bog’s creation. Chris moves like a phantom through the lives and minds of the
Eden Baylee
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Chanticleer Editorial  Book Reviews
A teenage boy lies in a coma, mentally reliving the events leading up to his attack by a gang of classmates on a random wilding spree.

From his hospital bed, Chris Bullet suffers the aftermath of being cornered, mocked, and bludgeoned by boys who have correctly sensed his vulnerability (from their viewpoint)—he is gay, though Chris tries to hide it.  Comatose, Chris “sees” through closed eyes the hidden actions, fears, loves, and guilt of those whose lives intersect his.

Why did Ellis, the boy Chr
Jessica Bronder
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bullets are a family that seem like everything is going well but inside there is a lot of things happening that each one is ignoring. That is until some bullies at Chris’ school decide that he is different and gay and beat him up with a baseball bat. The story is told from Chris’ view point as he lies in a coma and see’s everything happening around him and to his mother and father.

This is a heart wrenching story. Poor Chris is targeted because he is different and in a little town that is qu
emily
Wake Me Up is about teenager, Chris Bullet, who ends up in a coma after a fatal encounter with hateful classmates. He is in a tragic state, but his mind wanders over his past and the people closest to him. Chris will see secrets that have been buried away.

Wake Me Up is really interesting. It is absolutely awesome to be next to Chris as he relives his past. At first I was confused, 'like whoa is he better?', but then I realized that the author was taking us back to before the accident. I liked t
Sage Adderley
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wake Me Up is a powerful story. Justin Bog is a special writer. He has a unique writer's voice. I find the way he structures his stories to be a breath of fresh air. His writing is well-written, engrossing, and detailed.

In his newest release, Bog does not hold back in throwing us right into the action. We meet Chris who is a shy, teen boy. He becomes a victim of a hate crime. This story is told as Chris remains in a medically induced coma from the major brain trauma he sustained. He watches his
Kelly Stone
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, students
The characters in this novel were so richly drawn and multi-layered, I felt as if I knew them-I wanted to cry with some, and slap others. The story line is timely, and I appreciated the approach from the omniscient (and surprising) narrator, allowing insight into the different players in a small town and their thoughts, concerns, and actions in regards to a teenage boy being beaten by bullies over his perceived homosexuality. One thing that struck me, and really set the tone of the story for me, ...more
Reeca Elliott
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris is lying in a hospital bed in a coma because of a hate crime. In this strange state, he has some vivid experiences that bring on many changes.

This is a very serious subject and the author handled it exceptionally well. Chris is beaten by his peers because they think he is gay.

This multi-layered tale takes the reader on an non stoppable, emotional ride. From the very start the story is intense and it stays that way till the very end. The characters are diverse and keep the emotion of the n
Jennifer Barrett
If this book doesn't grab you in the early chapters, stick with it. A disturbing story you won't forget.
Kitt O'Malley
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved Reading This

Great intertwining of narratives told from the perspective of the protagonist who holds onto his life while in a coma.
Cassandra
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a complimentary copy of this book.

Wicked, dastardly maybe even a little real? The author has a flare for his genre and it clearly shows as his writing rains down on you as a reader and makes you want to dive in.
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
Ever since I discovered Justin Bog’s books via a Blog Tour company, I have really enjoyed his works. Though it may seem like an impossible task, he outdoes his previous books almost every single time. Wake Me Up was just as amazing as I had expected it to be.

Set in a fictional town ‘Wake Me Up’ tells the story of a fifteen year old boy and those around him. As a victim to a vicious hate crime involving bullies, Chris lands up in the hospital with a head injury. As he lies there in coma, trying n
Alison
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have previously read ‘Hark’ by this author so I was aware of the writing style before embarking on ‘Wake Me Up’ .. as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to read it.

It’s deep, dark and absorbing. This is one hell of a dysfunctional family. Fifteen year old Chris is the subject of a hate crime, abused by some of his classmates, they attack him brandishing a baseball bat and basically cave in his skull .. the motive for this apparently is because he is gay!

Chris has to be placed into a medically
Kim
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wake Me Up by Justin Bog

A tiny town, a gross injustice! Teenager Chris Bullet is beaten with a bat by four bullies because they thought he was gay. In this awesome novel you'll read about his coma state of mind, where he can see or read what's going on in his loved ones and friends lives. I can't imagine being able to do that, don't know if I'd want to. Right from the start the author gets intense, page after page of raw emotion. I was thrown into the lives of these characters, some I didn't lik
Nadine
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of stuff going on in there like secrets and betrayals. I will not even go there and mention the heinous assault. All of these elements make for the most interesting inter personal relationships between the characters in the book. Since we are talking about them now, the characters are multi-layered and richly built. You get drawn in and get emotionally invested.

Justin Bog is an excellent writer and as Wake Me Up is his first full length novel, it clearly does not disappoint. I admit that I
Nancy Silk
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"A Gripping and Revealing Story"

This unique story is very gripping; it's very creatively crafted. Chris Bullet is 16 years old, living in the small town of Middleton, Montana. He's been bullied and savagely attacked when four of his school mates believe he his gay. One boy used a baseball bat which shatters his skull. As he lays in a controlled coma, his mind wanders back to envision the lives of his parents which have been plagued with deception. He also sees one woman who had been sexually act
Bradley Knox
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Justin Bog's most extraordinary book to date, and an absolute masterpiece! Intensely written, this is the tragic story of a teenage montana boy who lies at the heart of this tale, comatose after a brutal beating fueled by hate, and the chaos that ensues after the attack. all told through the eyes of our victim and hero, Chris Bullet. The author weaves the story together as a group of individual stories as witnessed by Chris almost supernaturally in his altered and ethereal state. brillia ...more
Kerry O'Dea
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book was intense. I've been trying to read books that promote diversity. Wake Me Up deals with LGBT themes. Chris is beaten because people think he is gay. He then falls into a coma for days.

The characters are put together so well that they felt real. I felt all of their emotions right along with them. I think that was my favorite part of the whole book. The emotions the characters we able to make me feel ran from happy to utterly depressed. I loved it.

I felt like the plot was a littl
Susanne Cutler
I received this book free from the Goodreads giveaway. All the review were glowing but I just could not get into this book. Bringing attention to homophobia is something I applaud but I think that the way the author had the main character narrating from a coma was just too weird for me though I am sure others would find it very clever and innovative. Perhaps in the future I will pick this book up and try again.
Harriet
Lori Flanders
Jun 01, 2016
Nancy Silk
Oct 10, 2016
  • The Turkish Connection (Birth of an Assassin)
  • Of Fear and Faith (Death and Destiny #1)
  • Dynomite!: Good Times, Bad Times, Our Times--A Memoir
  • Love on Death Row
  • The Last Good Girl (Anna Curtis, #5)
  • Another Mazzy Monday (Tawnee Mountain, #1)
  • Circling the Runway (Jake Diamond Mysteries Book 4)
  • Defiled, featuring John Tall Wolf (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #2)
  • Inkslingers Ball (Forensic Handwriting Mystery, #5)
  • Tibetan Cross
  • Biking Uphill (The Alki Trilogy)
  • Staged Fright (Bodies, #1)
  • Voodoo Daddy (Virgil Jones Mystery, #1)
  • The Ian Fleming Files:  Operation Armada
  • BMF: The Rise and Fall of Big Meech and the Black Mafia Family
  • Better in the Morning
  • Playing With Fire: The True Story of a Nurse, Her Husband, and a Marriage Turned Fatal (St. Martin's True Crime Library)
  • I Want You to Shut the F#ck Up: How the Audacity of Dopes Is Ruining America
Justin Bog is a member of the ITW: International Thriller Writers

Justin Bog lives in the Pacific Northwest on Fidalgo Island. He is an author of dark, psychological tales and an Editor and Author Consultant at The Author's Advocate. Justin Bog was Pop Culture Correspondent and Editor for In Classic Style, an eMagazine. Bog loves to cook and play the part of treat master to his long coat German she
More about Justin Bog...

“When Maddy writes, the feeling of failure haunts her, and the feeling of success does the same. She's living an intellectual dichotomy so intangible it will drive her crazy if she gives in.” 0 likes