Start by marking “Hounded To Death (A Melanie Travis Mystery)” as Want to Read:
Hounded To Death (A Melanie Travis Mystery)

Hounded To Death (Melanie Travis #14)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  641 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
As the dog days of summer turn to the playful nip of autumn's chill, Melanie Travis is ready for a little relaxation. Her Aunt Peg has the perfect solution--a five-day symposium for dog show judges in Pennsylvania's idyllic Pocono Mountains. While Peg and Melanie's sister-in-law Bertie welcome the opportunity to socialize with the dog world's elite, the very pregnant Melan ...more
Published November 24th 2015 by Kensington (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hounded To Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hounded To Death

Mary
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed every Melanie Travis Mystery by Laurien Berenson. Melanie, her sister-n-law Bertie and Aunt Peg go to the Pocono Mountains for a five-day symposium for dog show judges. Aunt Peg is the only dog show judge but the other two decided to go along to hear other speeches. In this book Melanie is pregnant and it brought a different element into the storyline. I was surprised the standard poodles were not in this book only when Melanie called husband Sam. I love standard poodles but was n ...more
Jayme(the ghost reader)
This is the fourteenth book in this series. Melanie Travis is a full time Special Education teacher and a part time sleuth. She shows Standard Poodles with her Aunt Peg in the local dog show circuit. She has married her long time boyfriend and is expecting a baby. With time off for fall break, she accompanies her Aunt Peg and her sister in law Bertie for a dog show conference. Melanie is looking forward to a week of relaxation. The conference has barely started when the keynote speaker is found ...more
Teresa in Ohio
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-read
My commitment to myself is to wrangle control of my series in progress books. Even being gone from this series for a few years it felt like coming back home They are centered in the dog world of training, raising and showing breeds across mostly the east coast. In this installment the dogd stay home and the girls ( Melanie, Bertie and Aunt Peg) head to the Poconos for a dogless convention. It is suppose to be relaxng and educational. After Charles gives a speech that turns this dog world upside ...more
Janet
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
While I missed Sam, Davey, and the poodle crew, it was nice to see that Melanie and the girls are strong enough characters to stand on their own. And true to form, dogs still play a role in the plot, even in a “no dogs allowed” setting. I was a little confused with the multitude of suspects, but the ending was sharp enough that I didn’t mind the lack of clarity. Another great book with a lovely heroine.
Barbara
Nov 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Really didn't like this one as much as the others in the series. Even the most recent book (Doggie Day Care Murder?) was more enjoyable. I don't think the main and recurring characters are really acting as we've come to expect them to behave. The motivations seem a bit muddy and indistinct.
Emily Cullen
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Travis, Aunt Peg and Melanie's sister-in-law are heading for a canine symposium and also hoping to get a little R & R thrown in, but when the key address speaker winds up dead in a hot tub Melanie has to forego the comfort. I really enjoy the "Melanie Travis Canine Mystery" series. Always good stories and characters and I like that Melanie goes through life changes as the series moves forward. I recommend starting from the first book, "A Pedigree to Die For".
Julie
This one felt more slight even than most of these, which is okay with me right now. I'm enjoying the competent fluff! The mystery is pretty lackluster, so this is all about hanging out with old friends.
Lena Harper
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I really liked the departure from their day-to-day life. Very interesting and very nice setting.
Jewett
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun with other breeds at a conference center. Pregnancy becomes a great excuse.
Kathy
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite in the series. However, I still enjoyed it.
Joan Skinner
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good one!

Being a dog show person myself I always enjoy Laurien Berenson's books. This one did not disappoint! Not a lot of meat but a fun read!
Jen
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Melanie Travis accompanies Aunt Peg and sister-in-law Bertie to a five-day symposium for dog show judges in the Pocono Mountains. A few months pregnant, she’s looking forward to a little R&R. Meanwhile Aunt Peg hopes to kindle a romance with her online beau Richard Donner with whom she has been corresponding for months.
When judge Charles Evens delivers a controversial keynote address, his career and reputation are jeopardized. Then Melanie finds his lifeless body floating face-down in the h
Kathy Davie
Fourteenth in the Melanie Travis mystery series with this story set in the Poconos Mountains for a dog show judging symposium.

The Story
It's October and Melanie is four-months pregnant. And Sam has pushed Melanie out the door to take this week-long vacation with Aunt Peg and Bertie.

The excitement is all about Charles Evans' speech about the Future of Dog Shows. His controversial point is that dog show people are more concerned with breeding dogs to look good in the ring than in how well they func
sharon gima
Pretty much the same as the other 13. Enjoyable if you are interested in the dog show world. Educational in some aspects. The story line is usually fun and you won't go wrong if you want a before bedtime book that may hold your attention rather than put you to sleep.
Lynn
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was the first of the Melanie Travis series that I read -- of course, since it seems to be the 14th one, how is it that I come to a series so late? The premise is that Melanie is in the Dog Show loop and is at a conference with her sister-in-law and aunt. While at the conference, Melanie learns about different dog breeds, judging techniques, and murder. Her sister-in-law seems to live at the health spa, her aunt is trying to meet a man she met in a dog breeding chat room, and Melanie is tryi
Deborah D.
Usual cast of characters...but the Standard Poodles, Sam and Davey all take a distant back seat to the joys of a dog conference attended by a couple hundred judges, breeders and handlers.

A couple of activist moments mixed with some promiscuity in the background - ends up with a prominent figure in this community dead on the first day and Melanie ends up embroiled in the investigation and helping to educate the detective on the culture of dog showing.

Aunt Peg, Bertie dragged Melanie along for an
Pam Masters
Mar 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've read almost all of the Melanie Travis Mysteries, and so far, I think this one isn't the best one I've read, but I'm sure it's not the worst one either.

For me it was a great change of pace as I've been reading lots of heavier books this year (between classics and "heavy" topics). It was nice to read a book that I could just relax and enjoy. I had no idea who it was who was the criminal but I had my suspicions. Then again, I'm not the kind who goes through and try to solve the crime before th
Marian
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, readit
I was kind of worried about this series, as it seems as if the time between books has gotten longer, or maybe I just forget them too easily... but Hounded to Death is a quick, fluffy good read.

I'm not sure how much it'll contribute to the overall series, but it's fun. The only problem I had was that I had no idea who did it and part of the answer seemed completely out of left field... and more than a little random.
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurien Berenson has written many books about Melanie Travis, who is a poodle afficionado and a single mother. In this book, she has married her long time boyfiend, Sam, and he has urged her to go to a judging seminar with her aunt Peg. Of course, someone is murdered, and melanie begins her sleuthing to find out the culprit. There books are good light reads for an cold evening at home by the fire or a day a the seashore.
GIZMO
Jun 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
maybe I'm picking nits here but how can judges learn to evaluate dogs without having "hands on" experience? why would anyone attend a judging symposium where dogs were prohibited? with all the emphasis this series places on realistic portrayals of the dog show world this was a glaring misstep to me...this entry in the series really suffers from the absence of dogs
Kim Ledford
A feel-good sort of mystery novel, without any real suspense. Berenson tends to repeat the same plot points and character descriptions with a heavy hand and no real suspense. I did learn a lot about the dog breeding trade, though there was almost no actual canine presence in the book. I like the tone, pace, subject, and protagonist, but prefer her other books.
Felicia
"Just about anything would sound proper compared to what we'd discussed thus far: murder and naked babes."
A cute cozy mystery involving the dog show world. There was a crazy number of suspects, but it was still an enjoyable read.
Diane
Dec 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When renowned judge Charles Evans delivers a keynote address that irritates many of the attendees, the dog show symposium's agenda takes a deadly turn. Later that evening, the judge is found floating face-down in the outdoor hot tub.
Jan
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Ok mystery in a long series. I think I may have read a previous one. I guess I feel like there are better ways to spend my reading time, even with series whose quality may be similar, but which are more interesting to me, like ones with recipes, or Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie.
Gloria
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I've been busy, so my progress on this edition of Berenson's Melanie Travis book was slower than novel. My crazy schedule to the contrary, this was a fun, fast read. Who knew the dog show world could have so much going on under the surface!

Recommended
Michele
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I read this yesterday & thought it was fairly ho hum. I got tired of the main character's stance of being several months pregnant yet never eating anything. Both the plot & the characters were less than compelling, too.
Beverly
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
Usual cozy from dog show mystery writer Berensen. Readable but boring story of a murder during a dog judging symposium set at a spa in Pennsylvania and related to a corrupt judge. In this episode Melanie is pregnant and Aunt Peg has a boyfriend (briefly).
Ilana Weiss
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of unnecessary things that were too long of a moment and felt like it was dragging and it felt like the murder was more minor than major when that's what the book was supposed to be based on. Other than that, this is a really great book.
Nathalie S
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This cat person has been following Melanie Travis (dog person)'s mysteries for several years now! It's been a while since I've read one of Laurien Berenson's book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a great read for lounging around and relaxing any season of the year.
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
  • Lead a Horse to Murder (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #3)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-two Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, RUFF JUSTICE.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fr
More about Laurien Berenson

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)