Start by marking “My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel” as Want to Read:
My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel

My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel

Steven Brust jumps into the universe and characters of Joss Whedon's Firefly series.

Published 2008 by Steven Brust

To ask other readers questions about My Own Kind of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Own Kind of Freedom

Start your review of My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel
Becky
This is my second book by Steven Brust, and, unfortunately, I had a lot of the same complaints that I had with the first one. Which was also, now that I think of it, a situation in which Brust wrote a story around someone else's work (in this case Joss Whedon's Firefly/Serenity world and characters, and in the other book, the Bible).

I just don't think that his style is for me. Which is a shame, because I think the stories are good. I just get annoyed while I'm reading them. His style is too cho
Terence
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly fans
Recommended to Terence by: John S.
Shelves: sf-fantasy, e-books
I saw the movie "Serenity" and enjoyed it very much but it was only after Netflix began streaming episodes of "Firefly" that I actually watched and fell in love with the series. I'm not a Joss Whedon fan. The few episodes of "Angel" I watched bored me. I never bothered with "Dollhouse." "Buffy" was more interesting, and I loved the series' finale (far better, IMO, than BSG's). But in "Firefly" a number of elements came together so that it spoke to me, including the cast, the background and the g ...more
Kat Hagedorn
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it

I've never read fan fiction before. I consider it hyperventilation from nerds who can't write and should be getting back to their coding RSN. (This coming from a nerd herself.) But Brust is an actual sci-fi author, albeit a bit strange (his Wikipedia picture needs no words) and prone to creating novels set in other authors' universes.

Perhaps because he was writing fan fiction, he released this novel under a Creative Commons license allowing users to download, share and r
John
Feb 10, 2008 added it
One of my favorite fantasy writers, Steven Brust, apparently pitched this cross-over into the universe of Joss Whedon's Firefly to the appropriate people and they said "no thanks."

So he wrote it as fan fiction and is distributing it for free. The result is that a fantastic author has written a fantastic book simply because he wanted to... and we can all read it for free.

The novel is set between the last episode of the series and the movie Serenity. Inara and Book have left the ship; otherwise,
D. Jason
Steven Brust's very professional piece of Firefly fanfiction (not actually, he began it as a tie-in novel; when that deal fell through, he released it as fan fic under a Creative Commons license) is a welcome chance to spend a little more time with Mal, Zoe, Wash, Simon, River, Kaylee and Jayne, and fills in the time between the TV series and the film rather nicely.

Brust gets each character's voice perfectly -- and you know it, because each scene is narrated from a different character's point of
Jim
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1ebook, action, scifi, 2fiction
Thanks, Chris. It was great to read a new Firefly adventure. This was a lot of fun. Brust nailed the characters & dialog. This takes place after the series (Book & Inara are gone.) but before the movie (I won't say why, although if it's a spoiler, your movie priorities are all wrong.)

Get it for free through a Google search or here in epub, mobi, or PDF.
Chris
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly fans
Shelves: osga
This was a lot of fun, and a relaxing read. It was great to get back in touch with the crew of Serenity. I've read several books by Brust now, and I'll say that this was consistent with his style while capturing the heart of Firefly. Win/win.

Chy
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Before I get into this review, I want to mention the hard facts. The best and most pertinent hard fact being that if you click on the Goodreads entry for this book you will find a lovely thing; a link to the page where you can download this novel for free. That's because it's a "media tie-in novel," meaning the universe and characters were "lovingly used without permission."

The 'verse here is that of the TV series Firefly and the film Serenity. The novel takes place sometime between the events o
Daniel
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Strictly for fans of the late, great Fox television show "Firefly," "My Own Kind of Freedom" would hold no interest -- and, in fact, probably be close to nonsensical -- to anyone else. The book, available for free on the Web, is essentially fan fiction -- a novel, that is, that has an original storyline but uses characters from a pre-existing TV show, movie or book. The difference between this and most other fan fiction, however, is that the writer is a professional author. I can't speak to Brus ...more
Angela
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
It's not often that I can actually include a fanfic novel in my reading, especially one released for free on the Internet by a professional author. That is however exactly what My Own Kind of Freedom is: Steven Brust's Firefly fanfic novel. If I understand the history of this book correctly, Brust tried to pitch it professionally but couldn't sell it, and ergo decided to release it to the net.

The plot's decent enough and reads like a good idea for an episode of the show, one set after the last a
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
I don't usually read much in the way of fan-fiction or tie-ins, but this was picked as a group read, and I do love me some Firefly, and it was short and free so, hey, why not?

I think, overall, Brust did a good job and capturing the voices of the characters - though I was getting a bit annoyed with Zoë saying "sir" in almost every line of dialogue she delivers to Mal (yes, I know she called him sir, it was more the constant repetition of it, like when people constantly say someone's name in dialo
Tim
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing this in the context of what it is, Firefly fanfic or media tie-in, so while it may not be a masterpiece, I can honestly say that for fans of the series you'd be hard pressed to find a better firefly fix outside of the actual series DVD's,

Brust nails every character in this book, absolutely nails them. Makes me want to read how he would write Inara and Book (they are absent, given the timeframe of the novel). It feels like Firelfy when you read it, it feels authentic, which is an a
Jon
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Now, I love Firefly, and I enjoy Brust's work as well, so I figured I'd like this, as long as the author got Firefly and the characters. I have to admin, even though I like Brust's work, I was worried. The cast of Firefly all have their distinctiveness, and I've read some truly awful fanfic, which is what this really is.

I needn't have worried. Brust brings his excellent and entertaining writing to the table, and shows off that he's actually watched the series, and probably
Raja99
Aug 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
Why I Read This Book: One of our members at the last B&N meeting recommended it. Since it's a CC-licensed ebook by an author I've heard nice things about set in a universe I enjoy, why not?

This is the first book I've read by Brust, and it's a media tie-in (if you're being polite) or fanfic (if you aren't) set in the Firefly universe. It was (almost certainly) written after the theatrical film but takes place between the end of the TV series and the start of the film.

I enjoyed this thoroughly. It
chvang
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, fan-fiction
I love it. The characters, especially. I miss this show.
Jesse Whitehead
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have never had any desire to read or write fan fiction. (Unless you count the Star Trek roll playing game my friends and I made up in High School.) However, when said fiction is written in the “Firefly” universe by a respected fantasy author it becomes much more tempting.

Steven Brust has been writing fantasy for decades. When the television show Firefly was cancelled he, like other fans, wanted to do something to help it live on. Being a writer of novels he sat down and wrote a Firefly novel.
Steven R. McEvoy
What do you get when you cross a great TV series and movie (Firefly) and an amazing author (Steven K.Z. Brust)? You get a fabulous story that leaves you salivating for more. I have been a longtime Steven Brust fan and was introduced to Firefly just over a year ago. Both are among my all-time favorite works of science fiction or fantasy. What makes it even better is that Steven Brust is giving away the book on his website. You can download it and read it for free, and what student could not use s ...more
Marc Huete
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a piece of Firefly fanfiction. I have no idea how it got on my desktop, but there it was. It was, indeed, excellent. Mr. Brust had a strong understanding of the characters, and was able to write their internal monologs so well that it gave me a greater appreciation for the series (I'm looking at you, River).

There were a few lost points, all rather minor. Characters are oftentimes not attributed, which left me lost a few times (usually the first few paragraphs into a chapter). I didn't fe
Kevin
Jan 05, 2012 added it
Recommends it for: Brown Coats, SF Fans, Fox Haters
My Own Kind of Freedom: A Firefly Novel is a novel written by established fantasy novelist Steven Brust "on spec". It was originally proposed as an official Firefly novel to be licensed by Universal Pictures, but it was rejected. In 2008 it was instead published by Brust on the internet under a Creative Commons license as fan fiction. from http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/My_Own_...

Download the novel here. link: Link

I thought the TV show was great as well as the movie and the comics so when I fou
Joel
Mar 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Browncoats
"My Own Kind of Freedom" is a Firefly / Serenity novel, written by a fan, as a work of fan-fic. Only it was also written by a prominent, well-regarded professional science-fiction and fantasy author: Steven Brust.

The result is a fast, engaging read, driven almost entirely by un-attributed, non-annotated dialog between the characters. And Brust gets the characters exactly right.

For fans of the t.v. series, reading this novel is just like watching an episode of the show. No effort is made to expla
Jamie Collins
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I don't usually read fan fiction, but I've enjoyed several of Steven Brust's other novels, so I thought I'd give this a try. It turned out to be a pretty fun read, especially for a free ebook.

This is a short novel, and it takes place after the last Firefly TV episode but before the movie. Shepherd Book and Inara have already left Serenity.

Brust knows these characters, and their banter is spot-on. The narrative jumps around too much at first, with multiple POVs and flashbacks, but it eventually s
Dawn
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This was pretty entertaining! I'd probably give it 3.5 stars, but it's closer to 3 than 4 so that's what I went with.

I thought Brust did a really good job of capturing the personalities of the characters and portraying them in text format. There were a few exceptions, over-used words and terms that I don't remember being over-used in the show, but that was easily forgiven. The story was entertaining, and read like an episode of the show, which was a nice trip down memory lane.

Overall, I liked
Andrew Roach
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Self released Firefly Fan-Fiction from an award winning sci-fi author?

Count me in!

I stumbled across this book on Brust's website. It's available for free download. The writing is excellent, and really captures the characters. There are a couple of issues of polish with the ebook that would have likely been cleaned up if this book had seen official publication, but it doesn't matter.

It's wonderful. It's the gang, together again. It's another tale in the 'verse.

Do yourself a favor, and read it
Simon Kao
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Hm, welp, my own kind of ride, just wish it was done better though. The moments where the crew are having conversations on Serenity was definitely my favourite parts of the entire book, not enough of those... Too many instances where Mal didn't do what Mal would have done. ...more
Xa
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, quick read. I like the way the author wrote River's and Wash's bits particularly, and there was a bit with Jayne that made me laugh out loud because it was so Jayne. ...more
Russell Forden
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Firefly and Serenity fans!
Recommended to Russell by: the good people at Sword and Laser
It was SO GREAT to be back with these characters after all this time! Brust does such a good job of capturing their voices and thoughts (especially, and most impressively, River) that it really does feel like I'm back in the world of Firefly. My only complaint would be that there could have been a tad more description (so much of the story is rendered as dialogue or thoughts), which I assume had something to do with the novel's origins. But it definitely gives it a consistent style, and I didn't ...more
Scott
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Yes, I read fanfiction. No, I'm not proud of it. I even enjoyed parts of it. I'm even less proud of that.

Since I'm not the biggest Firefly fan around (I think it's okay, but not great), I haven't read any other Firefly works to compare it to. However, I have read quite a lot of Steven Brust, so I can recognize his fingerprints all over this *cough*seventeenchapters*cough*, though it does remain in the distinct tone that the show established. Brust's own ability to write clever, witty, and funny
Chris
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed the TV Show "Firefly" then you'll likely enjoy this book as well. Brust wrote it as a media tie-in novel for the show on-spec and when it was rejected, he released it for free under a Creative Commons license.

He deftly captures the voices, mannerisms of the characters and the feel of the 'verse in a story about a delivery that goes awry and old acquaintances that come back to haunt you.
Andre
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, geeky
The author nailed the voices of the Serenity crew. So much fun to read, almost like an episode that never was. My only complaint? No Inara.
Martin
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
It's pretty good. I'd love to see more Firefly novels but it would be great if they could actually build on the story rather than stay between the series and the movie... ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Dawnshard (The Stormlight Archive, #3.5)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Defending Elysium
  • More Riddles
  • Beguilement (The Sharing Knife, #1)
  • The Beachcomber's Companion: An Illustrated Guide to Collecting and Identifying Beach Treasures (Watercolor Seashell and Shell Collecting Book, Beach Lover Gift)
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • The City of Gold and Lead
  • Zombie Lover (Xanth #22)
  • Small Gods (Discworld, #13)
  • Doctor Who: The Death Collectors
  • A town called Malus, 9th Doctor
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • Words of Radiance, Part 2 (The Stormlight Archive #2, Part 2 of 2)
  • Words of Radiance, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive #2, Part 1 of 2)
  • Geis of the Gargoyle (Xanth, #18)
  • Young Frankenstein: The Story of the Making of the Film: A Mel Brooks' Book
Steven Karl Zoltán Brust (born November 23, 1955) is an American fantasy and science fiction author of Hungarian descent. He was a member of the writers' group The Scribblies, which included Emma Bull, Pamela Dean, Will Shetterly, Nate Bucklin, Kara Dalkey, and Patricia Wrede, and also belongs to the Pre-Joycean Fellowship.

(Photo by David Dyer-Bennet)

News & Interviews