Start by marking “Southern Gothic” as Want to Read:
Southern Gothic

Southern Gothic

Aspiring author Meredith Harper owns the hottest bookstore in Savannah.

Michael Black is her favorite writer—long thought dead—until he mysteriously approaches Meredith with a new manuscript, and a most unusual offer. Meredith can keep the manuscript to herself, or publish it under her own name.

Her decision results in a bestseller, but the novel contains a coded secret; on
ebook
Published January 24th 2017 by Vesuvian Books

To ask other readers questions about Southern Gothic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Gothic

Bandit
Oct 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is on me. I should have known that a novel which uses in its description the word hottest to describe a bookstore would be a cheesy romance crapfest. But the rest of the description sounded ok, the author was male, so I thought maybe it would somehow have more to offer than a standard chicklit...alas no. This is very much the sort of schlocky trash I was afraid it'd be, only wrapped up in a pretense of a proper novel. You know how they say you should never meet your heroes? Well, Meredith, ...more
Louise Wilson
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Meredith Harper owns a bookstore in Savannah. Her favourite author is Michael Black whom everyone thinks has died until he approaches Meredith with a new manuscript and an unusual offer - to keep the manuscript for herself or have it published in her own name.

Just what are the motives for this generous offer? Is it just a simple gift or or something more sinister........

I found this novel a bit creepy at times but that's what kept me turning the pages.

I would like to thank NetGalley,
Alexandrea Weis
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As beguiling as the quirky and Southern Meredith Harper, this story is filled with quite a few unexpected turns. With elegant prose, and witty dialogue the sizzle between the two lead characters is dazzling, but it is the intrigue of the story that keeps you turning the pages. Hold on, you are in for a great ride with this soulful tale.
Kathy Martin
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This scary story is a novel within a novel. Meredith Harper has always wanted to be a writer like her hero Michael Black. She is divorced and has started a successful book store in Savannah. She has written a manuscript and sent it around to publishers but has had no offers to publish it.

Michael disappeared five years earlier under suspicion that he had killed his much younger girlfriend Quinn. Harassed by Quinn's father, he chooses to disappear. Meredith has started an online bulletin board to
MillsyLovesBooks
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
 photo img1471795207069_zpsh5l4m317.jpg

Dale Wiley has done it again with this gritty, creepy, dark twisted stalker mystery thriller set in the Deep South. His writing is going from strength to strength and i absolutely loved how intriguing the characters were within this novel.
Southern Gothic is a novel within a novel now some may think that won't work well but with Dale's talent of writing it works and works well with captivating and gripping results. It flowed seamlessly between both stories that kept me turning page after page n
F. Barkley
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite read of the year thus far is SOUTHERN GOTHIC, by best selling author Dale Wiley. I could not put it down and stayed up until the wee hours to finish it. The premise is something I haven't seen before, so it was refreshing that it wasn't a "formula" book. The characters are complex and compelling and the author's use of descriptors while exploring the minds of the male and female lead characters is intriguing and satisfying. Since "the greed gland is the last to go", we can see how th ...more
Candice Moore
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This novel was so eloquently written. I loved the fact that there was a book within a book and how the stories smoothly flowed back-and-forth throughout. I was so eager to find out what was going to happen next I could hardly put it down. Such a wonderful read, I cannot wait to read more of Dale Wiley's books! If his other books are anything like this one I may have a new favorite writer. I highly recommend Southern Gothic, just be prepared of being incapable of setting this one down.
Alex
May 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was hard to get through at times. I think the description should be more of a "romantic thriller" than anything else. Not really what I expected but the idea of the premise is a good one.
Nancy Burkey
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Expected publication: January 24th 2017 by Vesuvian Books

Southern Gothic by Dale Wiley is a smart, masterfully orchestrated, complicated thriller. At first glance, the premise of a book-within-a-book might seem distracting. It is not. Both story lines keep the reader engaged page after page and compelled to stay up much later than planned, as this book is nearly impossible to put down--truly one of my favorite books this year.
Wiley’s character, Michael Black, is a talented but deranged best-sell
Kim Mccully-mobley
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dale Wiley has done it again...He has written a book that is hard to put down. Meredith is fascinated with a favorite author, whose manuscript magically appears in her lap. With every twist, turn, phone call, knot in the stomach, fragment of hope, revelations of life and death and each day that passes, more information comes to light in this enticing novel that features a story within a story.

If the road to hell is indeed paved with good intentions, where does that leave famous author Michael Bl
Italia Gandolfo
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meredith Harper, who owns a bookstore in Savannah, Georgia, is an aspiring author without much hope of ever being good enough to be published. She is a great character with an interesting dilemma--and the decision she makes goes badly wrong. The saying, "If it's too good to be true, it usually is," has never been more true than with Meredith. An intriguing and atmospheric read, Southern Gothic weaves elements of past and present together in a cat-and-mouse mystery that turns deadly and leaves yo ...more
Shaun
Savannah bookshop owner Meredith has long wanted to be an author, but with little success. Then one day her favorite author Michael Black—widely believed to be dead—approaches her with an offer she simply can’t refuse: he’s rewritten her manuscript and Meredith can publish it under her own name. The novel is an instant bestseller, but Meredith’s life takes a dark, drastic turn as the result of her decision.

For me, Southern Gothic started off sort of too slow for my liking, alternating back and
Susan Beamon
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of promise. I really wanted to love it. It just didn't engage me as well as I would have liked.
Southern gothic books are romantic suspense books with a plantation house and a woman in peril. There is a plantation house with all the sinister atmosphere required, but it exist in a book within a book. Our heroine and the house only meet once and that only after the book within a book tells its tale. She is imperiled by a shady man who wrote about the plantation house. She owns a
diane lo verde
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diane

Southern Gothic is a very different kind of Suspense novel I have ever read.
The protagonist was the kind of character that
Was a toss between vulnerable and as off centered as the characters she created. The writing created an eerie atmospheric story.
The ending, however, was a little
Disappointing, but we'll worth reading anyway.

RCA
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy this should be a screenplay Batman. Really good thriller that borders on romance story. This is the story of a bookstore owner, author want a be and her favorite author. He is twisted and cunning and manipulates the female lead to walk straight down the path of self destruction. Five bright stars for Southern Gothic.
Deana Christianson
Gothic

I could not relate to the woman in this book. She made one bad decision after another and then constantly whined about the outcome of her decisions.. As a person, I found her hard to like.
Heather
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the book within a book! Great story. But now I want to read the other 2 books Michael wrote lol I feel as if I am missing part of the story. Get a glimpse but then it's gone. It was a great story that I couldn't put down.
Marie C
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Awful is way too good for this one.

Started out great. A novel within a novel. Good until the last section. And then a third grader could have done better. Horrible, horrible ending. Just skip this one. Yikes, horrible!
Marla
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really keeps you interested

A clever novel combining the old South with the craft of writing. I learned a few things about shaping a novel.
Patricia A. Ritchie
Excellent

When I thought I was finished with the book and the book inside a book, another book came out of the shadows. My favorite read of the summer of 2018
Lois Hill
Uncertain

This read mostly like a Gothic romance. Not really my thing . It does have some good twists, but overall a bit ordinary. Even the novel within the novel wasn't up to much
Chris Montez
Sep 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Nyet.
Robin Davis
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
If I could give 0 stars, I would!
Zoë
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Man, I wanted to like this. But it was a flat and supremely irritating affair for me for so many reasons. The book was messy. It starts off okay, if not a little bland. But next thing you know, it rushes into this woman having a stalker, and before you can blink your eyes and wonder when the tension is going to kick in, she knows immediately it is a famous author she is a big fan of. Uhm... yes. The next time I hear something go bump in the night, I am going to hope some hot celebrity I am into ...more
Liz Allen
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Southern Gothic is a riveting thriller about successful bookshop owner Meredith Harper and her relationship with dubious writer Michael Black. Meredith is startled by the unexpected arrival of her favorite writer, Michael Black, who has dropped off the radar for several years following the disappearance of his young lover. Michael has a proposal for Meredith; he has retooled her novel The Red Ribbon into a literary gem and has offered it to her to publish under her own name. Meredith can't resis ...more
Laura//lauralovestoread Gelinas
3.5 stars for Southern Gothic!!

Meredith is living in Savannah and has always wanted to be a writer, but with no luck just yet. That is- until Michael Black walks into her life and offers her a chance she can't refuse! He's willing to publish a bestselling manuscript for her under her name. Just be careful what you wish for. Now that Meredith has taken Michael up on his offer, things take a turn for the worse and now Merecith is suspected for murder.

**I received a copy via netgalley in exchange
Raluca Ferrari
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was not for me. Or maybe I was the wrong person to read it. Unfortunately it annoyed me a lot. The subject of the story is interesting but the style is so bad and unrealistic. It reminds me of the Holloywood movies the sort of chicklist types. It is definitely not a page turner, I closed the book after the first 40 pages.
Robert Wood
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My friend I have to tell you I loved Southern Gothic. I am not a big mystery/thriller fan. That being said I caught myself speaking out loud to the characters in your story. The twists are fantastic. Well done my friend, truly well done.
Nina Sims
rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2018
Eileen Hall
Jan 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Miracle On I-40
  • Fireside Gothic
  • The Trees Beyond the Grass (Cole Mouzon, #1)
  • The Last Treasure
  • The Courier (San Angeles, #1)
  • CODE X: Episode 1
  • Auraria
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Louisiana Saves the Library
  • Shades of Treason (Anomaly #1)
  • Moonrise
  • Bitsy's Bait & BBQ
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters That the Rest of Y'All Should Know Too
  • Southern as a Second Language (Dixie, #3)
  • The Kinfolk
  • The River of Kings
  • The Rock Orchard
  • Last Ride to Graceland
Dale Wiley is a Missouri attorney who has had a character named after him on CSI, owned a record label, been interviewed by Bob Edwards on NPR's Morning Edition and made motorcycles for Merle Haggard and John Paul DeJoria. He has three awesome kids and spends his days working as a lawyer fighting the big banks.