Start by marking “Air Time: A Charlotte McNally Novel” as Want to Read:
Air Time: A Charlotte McNally Novel

Air Time: A Charlotte McNally Novel

(Charlotte McNally #3)

Air Time: the Agatha and Anthony Award nominee from bestselling author Hank Phillippi Ryan, now back in print!

When savvy TV reporter Charlotte McNally enters the glamorous world of high fashion, she soon discovers that when the purses are fake--the danger is real.

Charlotte can't tell the real from the false as she goes undercover to bring the coutur
Published June 14th 2016 by Forge Books (first published August 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Air Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Air Time

Start your review of Air Time: A Charlotte McNally Novel
Jeanne
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just something with this story that seemed to drag on forever. The case was solved with some unexpected culprits, which raised the rating a bit . . . 4 out of 10.
Wendy Kendall
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel is really fun. The author has written a fast paced paperback mystery that will keep your detective instincts engaged to the end.

Charlie (Charlotte) McNally is a smart, energetic TV reporter, who’s been in the business almost 20 years. She has a real nose for news, and a cat’s curiosity. There are four novels in this series. “Air Time” is about Charlie on an investigative story about knock off designer purses. She and her intrepid partner at the Boston station charge ahead into
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Air Time is the third book in Hank Ryan Phillippi's Charlotte McNally mystery series. Charlotte or known to her friends as Charlie is an investigative reporter for a television news station in Boston. This time she is investigating the corruption behind knock-off designer hand bags. Turns out there is big money in fake purses, even the FBI is involved. Charlie's relationship with Josh, the handsome English professor is getting more serious. Although, Josh feels like he plays second fiddle to Charlie ...more
Nicole
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s amazing how the details push a book from great to outstanding. Again the characterization of Botox is excellent (she jumps onto the table and knocks over the water which soaks the cop). Then there’s the description of the newsroom. Quite a few people think TV news is all excitement all the time, but chapter seven reveals the truth. Charlie tests out her hidden camera set-up in the newsroom and describes what she recorded: “I got great shots of a producer searching Facebook, the satellite gu ...more
Lynn
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie McNally is at it again. This installment is about the fashion industry and the people who steal designs to make lots of money pirating intellectual property.

Charlie is returning from winning an award when she gets off the plane she is sitting on with Franklin to check a possible plane crash. When she finally gets home she notices that baggage claim slips are being printed and not needed, but also not destroyed. Then she travels up and down the East Coast in and out of airport
Nikki
When something a little odd happens with your checked baggage at the airport, most of us just leave relieved (if our bag turns up) or annoyed (if it doesn't). Hank Philippi Ryan, whose other career is as an investigative reporter on a Boston television news program, comes up with an amazing mystery story, full of twists and turns and leading to a scary but ultimately successful conclusion. And it's all about handbags -- a topic that interests me hardly at all except in Ryan's skillful hands.
"Charli
Cindy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charlie is on a story about fashion knock-offs, a big business that really costs everyone involved in the market, including the consumer, in the end. She and Franklin encounter a problem with the flight to Boston, putting Charlie's nose for news into high gear; especially when the airline tries to pawn off a flimsy excuse. Things like that don't happen without a reason. Though she's not sure what's going on, Charlie's instincts tell her someone is deliberately hiding something.

In thi
Maria Rose
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story of the big bag

Anyone who likes designer bags will appreciate this story. Charlie gets a whiff of a story about how counterfeit bags are taking sales from makers of the originals. If you have ever brought a real designer bag, you will always know how to tell what is a fake version. Plus the real designer bag holds up over time.
Charlie also gets her man Josh after scoring the big story.
Phil
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like books where the heroine keeps putting herself into dangerous situations, then you'll like Air Time. I don't like those sorts of books. However, I guess the book has a good story line since I did keep reading it and finished it. It was, in fact, an interesting book.
Kay Gillis
Not my cup of tea, but.....

it would make a good 1 hour tv show. It was my first encounter with Charlie McNalley and I just couldn’t find a way to care about the characters or the story line. It is well written and I am sure that it would appeal to many.

Carol
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hank Phillippi Ryan's "Air Time" is a quick and entertaining read. Suspense with not a lot of gore and just a touch of good loving makes the plot move quickly. The character of Charlie, the TV reporter, is well drawn.
Noreen
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie is ...

Endearing, passionate in her drive to find answers with the right mix of journalist asking the 5 W’s and H and detective!
Jonathan
Simply amazing! Hank Phillippi Ryan never disappoints.
Kelly Moran
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Author Hank Phillippi Ryan is an award-winning investigative reporter at Boston’s NBC affiliate. She has twenty-six Emmy’s and ten Edward R. Murrow Awards, along with dozens of other national and international journalism honors. Her work has resulted in new laws, homes removed from foreclosure, criminals sent to prison, and millions of dollars in restitution. Before her reporting career, she was a proofreader, a radio reporter, an Editorial Assistant at Rolling Stone, and a legislative aide in t ...more
Jay
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given that my idea of high fashion is buying a new heavy metal T-shirt at a concert merchandise stand, counterfeit high end women's purses fueling the 3rd Charlotte McNally story is probably a bit lost on me.

I get that the fakes cost legitimate businesses millions of dollars and all, and of course they should protect their brand. But it is a little hard for me to work up that much outrage over it.

That said, once Hank Phillippi Ryan's story sets off into investigating this
Ed
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, reporter
#3 in the Charlotte "Charlie" McNally series. Finalist 2009 Agatha Award for Best Novel and Finalist 2010 Anthony Award for Best Paperback. "Charlie" has too much personal angst - it keeps me from enjoying the series more and giving it a higher rating. This time out she's not as worried about her age and screen appearance but she still worries about the balance of time on the job versus time spent with her boyfriend. A serviceable and enjoyable series, but it could be made better more by subtrac ...more
Norma Huss
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
I just blogged about first lines, and Air Time has another memorable one. "It's never a good thing when the flight attendant is crying."

Another of my favorite lines is this one: "Yup," I say. Telling the truth is always my first choice. It just doesn't always work when you're an investigative reporter."

This is a great book from a great author. Both author an her protagonist are investigative reporters. We certainly hope that author Hank doesn't have the problems and dange
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2009
Investigative reporter finds that knock offs of designer purses are serious business when her story about them leads to murder. Meanwhile, her relationship with her boyfriend hits a rather serious hurdle. I'm a guy, so I had a hard time getting into the plot about the purses, but eventually, I did. Overall, I did enjoy the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Beth
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this 3rd book in the Charlotte McNally series, the TV reporter is on the trail of designer knockoffs that has turned deadly. With her producer sidekick Franklin, they try to get to the bottom of how fake handbags are being distributed. Charlie's love interest with a teacher is tested as their relationship progresses. Another fast-paced contemporary suspense novel with the likeable 40-something Charlie.
Phil
Feb 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hank's best to date. The author is not only a lovely and gracious lady, but a truly burgeoning author. The plot deals with the huge market in knock-off designer handbags. I never thought that would be a subject that would interest me in the least, but...surprise! I dug it, and I learned something in the process. An excellent mystery. Go Hank.
Viccy
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie McNally is an on-air personality for Channel 3 in Boston. She is on the trail of folks who counterfeit designer goods. It leads through Atlanta to Baltimore and Greater Barrington, MA. Meanwhile, Charlie cannot decide how to make her relationship with Josh work. Is she really married to her job? I am already anxious to read the next in the series
Deborah Wall
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TV News and getting the Story

Charlotte McNally is one of those great characters, strong when needed in spite of her human frailties. She reminds me of the characters Harrison Ford plays, the ordinary man driven to courageous acts. McNally is pursuing a story on fake designer bags when it suddenly turns dangerous. A good plot with twists and turns.
Kim Rader
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
I had trouble getting into this. Didn't realize it was #3 in a series. But today I nearly missed my stop on the train because I was so deep into it. It definitely picks up and gets twisty at the end.
Jason
Jan 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great ride with Charlie McNally-I can't wait until Dead Time is out on 2/1! After reading this one I'm never checking a bag at the airport again! This whole series is so tightly written and filled with great, relatable characters that it's hard to put them down!
Shirley Alvarez
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AIR TIME

Another great book from Me. Ryan. This was especially exciting. Know about know-off stuff but not really interested till now. Boy is this author up to date. You gotta read this book and the series!!
Jacqulyn
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew designer bags could be the impetus for such an exciting thriller? For those of you who seek cheap knock offs, as Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell put it, "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing Baby"!
Homerun2

Enjoyable series. This one had a bang-up ending that was a little over the top, and a fair amount of romantic angst along the way. But it still managed to entertain. Charlie Mac and her series are good company.
Tulara
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know much about this series - but I started this one today - I liked the title and it was on sale.
Well, I didn't really care about fake purses - anyone who spends more than $40 on a purse is nuts.
PWRL
May 31, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Millie
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprise!

I was totally surprised by the ending. It was a wild ride. I can't wait to read another book written by you. What a thrill tide! Millie

• Finding Grace
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Careful What You Wish For
  • The Big Kahuna (Fox and O'Hare #6)
  • The Shape of Night
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Keep You Close
  • Dog's Green Earth: A Golden Retriever Mystery (Golden Retriever Mysteries Book 10)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)
  • In the Shadow of Denali (The Heart of Alaska #1)
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
  • The Patient
  • Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery, #11)
  • Latte Trouble (Coffeehouse Mystery, #3)
  • Hush Hush (Tess Monaghan, #12)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • A Lady of Good Family
Hank Phillippi Ryan is the bestselling author of eleven award winning novels of suspense. National reviews have called her a "master at crafting suspenseful mysteries" and "a superb and gifted storyteller."

Her newest psychological thriller, THE MURDER LIST, received a *starred review from Library Journal--which called it: Masterly plotted, riveting and a must read.

Her first psychologi

Charlotte McNally (4 books)
  • Prime Time
  • Face Time (Charlotte McNally, #2)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)