Start by marking “A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #4)

A Trail Through Time

(The Chronicles of St Mary's #4)

The fourth book in the bestselling British madcap time-travelling series, served with a dash of wit that seems to be everyone’s cup of tea.

Behind the seemingly innocuous facade of St. Mary’s Institute of Historical Research, a different kind of academic work is taking place. Just don’t call it “time travel”—these historians “investigate major historical events in contempor
Published November 8th 2016 by Night Shade (first published July 24th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Trail Through Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Trail Through Time

Bradley
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hook, line, and sinker.

This series has it all, historical adventure and quicksilver wit, but more importantly, it is stuffed to the gills with great characters that are constantly shifting and changing, and like quicksand we step into them at our peril, only to lose ourselves more as we struggle against them.

Am I happier after the roller coaster that was the previous novel? Yes. Absolutely. I was given a little breathing space by how this had turned into a novel of a chase through time, and it g
Trish
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*takes a deep breath*
Phew, we made it! And you know what? Especially compared to the last one, this was EASY! Of course it was a race at break-neck speed and we got an epic battle as well, but overall it was more humorous and the happenings were more light-hearted than in the previous books. Which is to say: (view spoiler)
Robin (Bridge Four)
I was on the fence for this series books 1-3

description

On the one hand I liked all the history stuff and visiting different moments in history to see what it was really like. On the other hand the drama llama would always rear its ugly head in the relationship aspect and Max and Leon just could not get their shit together enough emotionally to have a grown up conversation for a moment. Then there were the shenanigans at the end of book 3 that I liked and hated all at the same time. It was confusing.

Well no
Jana
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, Somebody--like the folks over at Torchwood, seeing as they're done with that series, or HBO (they sooo need to drop that dreadful True Blood series) reeeeeeally should take a look at these books and run with 'em. Seriously, y'all, let's not even worry about telling Goodreads & Ms. Taylor how BRILLIANT this book is and get down to brass tacks, hmm? Who should play Max? Ooooo, how about Rose "You-know-nothing-Jon-Snow" Leslie? Or Leon? Mrs. Partridge? Dr. Bairstow? I know, I know, GO ...more
Steven
I can't praise this book series enough. Even when the author turns everything we know on its side and upside down and backwards and shakes it all up, these books are still well-written, fun, sexy, exciting, action-packed, and adventurous.

Quickly worming its way up into my favorites list. :)
Emma
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This really is a gem of a series! Presumably by this point in the series, readers will agree with me-otherwise why would you still be reading it?! The first half got a bit repetitive and I was starting to think maybe Jodi Taylor was off her game a bit...and THEN it all picked up. I love the camaraderie, the characters of St. Mary's, even Isabella Barclay- the one we love to hate! But most of all- Maxwell and her irrepressible personality. I even love the frustration of the reader each ...more
Choko
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
*** 4.25 ***

A buddy read with the Wednesday UF group @ BB&B!

St Mary’s 2.0 and Leon 2.0... Really, the whole world is 2.0 and only Max is the original version, feeling kind of confused and lost in this so very same and so completely different world. Mrs. Partridge has a lot of brass to be doing this to our favorite neurotic historian. I am still not sure I can forgive everything the author put us through the previous book. However, arousing all those feelings in the reader, despite most of th
Jaya
I can't get enough...
Already dreading when i'l finally run out of books in the series, although there are few more to go and a few itsy-bitsy novellas floating about
Kaitlin
Review to come :) 3.5*
Ian
Leon and Max both died. And now they're both back. In this episode they must do battle with brutal time police who are hunting them down for messing with the time line in a St Mary's of an alternate dimension.

You know how sometimes day-time soap operas kill off a character and then six months later their identical twin brother shows up, usually to do a little ratings CPR? Well to be honest this book really feels like that. It's still quite good though.
Richard Derus
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5* of five

The Publisher Says: St Mary’s is back and is facing a battle to survive in this, the fourth instalment of the Chronicles.

Max and Leon are re-united and looking forward to a peaceful lifetime together. But, sadly, they don’t even make it to lunchtime.

The action races from 17th century London to Ancient Egypt and from Pompeii to 14th century Southwark as they’re pursued up and down the timeline, playing a perilous game of hide and seek until they’re finally forced to take ref
Rachel (Kalanadi)
I wasn't very into the first half, but the second half was dark and serious and I couldn't put it down.
Elizabeth Bailey
This was the best for me of the whole series. Leon and Max took over the first half of the book and it was absolutely fantastic. Jodi Taylor completely redeemed herself after the upset of Book 3 and gave me such a high with this one. I loved it. This relationship - up to now so problematic - really took off in this book. The dialogue between these two is always crisp, clever, witty and heart-warming. And of course I'm madly in love with Leon Farrell!

It's a brilliant piece of fiction that simply
Maria Dimitrova
Somewhat of a buddy read with the Wednesday Group of BB&B. Because my eyes still hurt and I had to stay away from the discussion description

I'm glad I decided to give this book a chance as things have much improved now that we've switched worlds. Unfortunately it took three books to get here and the few things I liked about the previous world did not happen in this one *coughs* killing Bitch-face Barkley *cough*. I really enjoyed the chase through time and the new and improved Leon. Now let's see if Ma
Hellvis
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, dear lord. I laughed, I cried... I laughed so hard that people on the train platform started to edge away from me. I laughed at work (when I was meant to be working) and sniggered down the phone to a customer (please don't tell my boss). I'll never again look at a swan and see their majestic beauty - I'll see St. Mary's running en masse in the opposite direction.

Of course, any mention of the lake reminds me of the car episode (read the other books), so I don't think I'll ever look at a lake
Marjolein
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

A Trail Through Time starts off right where A Second Chance ended and basically this is the moment where the aforementioned second chance really comes into play. Leon and Max are on the run and hunted through time and space (though maybe just through time). As they jump up and down the timeline, a new threat becomes more and more clear. And it is not just Leon and Max who are threatened by it.

I was a little bit sceptic at the beginning
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
From characters to plot, and everything in between, Jodi Taylor's The Chronicles of St. Mary's series is hilarious, touching, fascinating and wonderful. This isn't a series where everything goes perfectly. In fact, lots of people get hurt, fight, do stupid things, and generally make butts of themselves. Max herself being no exception to this rule. But the pain, the stupidity, and the anger is always tempered by laughter, snark, friendship and love.

This was true of books 1-3, and its certainly tr
 Olivermagnus
Trail Through Time is the fourth book of a fascinating historical fiction/time travel series. Madeleine Maxwell is a historian at St. Mary's where they jump through the timeline to “investigate major historical events in contemporary time.” I won't even give a hint of what this one is about because events that happened in Book Three, a Second Chance, are referenced numerous times and would only serve as a spoiler for this book.

The characters travel to some interesting places including ancient Eg
puppitypup
Adventure/Romance Good stuff!

Nonstop action in this one, and I do mean nonstop. I actually docked a point because I needed some breathing room. Which I did finally get, near the end.

Again, my highest regard for Ms. Taylor's writing. No matter the immediacy of whatever life-threatening event is at hand, the underlying thread of emotional uncertainty is so well carried, perfectly balanced by bursts of truly funny dialogue.

You know how you feel when you reach the half-way point of your vacation, an
Carolyn
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun, every one!

These wackadoodle time travel adventures are the perfect antidote to a stressful workday. Read them all, every word! I command you!
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
It took me a while to get back to this series after the terrible things that happened in the last volume.

This time I have no complaints. It was, as always, one hell of a ride. But worth every minute. And with major improvements in the romance department. I hope this keeps up in future books.
Karsyn
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've only read through the first two books of this series, or even got to the 3rd, this one is one you must get to soon. It's just awesome after the end of 3. While not my favorite, it's really pivotal in the series. If you like time travel at all, you should just read all this series, right now!!

=================

I didn't love this one AS much as the others, but still a 4.5 stars for me. So much changed for it. It was good but crazy and sad at times. I hope that (view spoiler)
Linette
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One timeline or another, these books are so much fun!
Josie Jaffrey
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch The Gin Book Club's video review here: https://www.josiejaffrey.com/single-p...

This fourth instalment in the St Mary's series is a bit of a departure from the previous books in the series, but that novelty is refreshing and well-managed. Instead of focussing on one main excursion to the past with a few other adventures thrown in, this book sees Max and Leon jumping from time to time in a series of short visits, culminating in a return to St Mary's for a final showdown.

Although Taylor's boo
Tim Hicks
There's definitely a loss of momentum with this one. Since Taylor has gone on to #9, maybe she got it back. But when I see all the point-five novellas etc., I just see a cash cow being milked.

We start with a long bit of tiresome fleeing. Go to the past, get in trouble, oh noes we can't get to the pod, oh there it is, ahh just in time! Can they not just once go to the past, decide they should leave, and just leave uneventfully?

The good humour is still here, even if it takes the form near the en
Jen
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fourth book in this hilarious time-traveling series was just as full of adventure and wit as the previous books. The addition of the Time Police was both fun and exciting (and I still adore the ending to the last book that led into this one). I love these books and all the history I learn from them, the laughter that they cause, and the relationships in them. Looking forward to the next one!
Nigel
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another really enjoyable St Mary's book. Max is one of those highly appealing characters for me and the whole concept of the series is well worked and written. I'll be reading more but do read them in order.
Robyn
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
As usual, hijinks galore (exhaustingly so) and a great narrator.
Kristen
It is astounding to me how excellent this series continues to be at the fourth book in. I liked this book as much as I loved the first in the series [which was a LOT - five stars then too].

The author is fabulous, and I can only assume that she has everything in this series fully formed out in her head already, because the world-building in this is sensational, the characters are out-of-this-world amazing, and the plots just keep getting funnier, more exciting and more clever with each new book.
Jacey
May 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing to blaze through all of Jodi Taylor's St Mary's Books...
Yes there are spoilers here for the first three books.

In the fourth instalment we see Max getting used to life in an alternate universe, similar, yet significantly different from her own. In this one it's Max who died (in a stupid accident) and Leon who was left devastated and alone. Mrs Partridge - PA to the director and part-time Muse of History and Max's rescuer after Agincourt- annoyingly tells Max that she has a job to do bu
Fantasy Buddy Reads: A Trail Through Time [July 2018] 20 31 Aug 15, 2018 11:55PM
  • Revolution in Time (Out of Time, #10)
  • Evil Red (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.6)
  • The Junior Bridesmaid
  • James Games
  • The Troll
  • Maneater
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • Diary of the Gone
  • Mastered (The Mastered Saga #1)
  • The Superiors (The Superiors, #1)
  • The Infinity Cage (TimeRiders, #9)
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)
  • The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers (Demon Slayer, #2)
  • After the Crown (The Indranan War, #2)
  • Loch and Key (Incryptid, #0.08)
  • Warriors of Camlann
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (Girl Genius, #12)
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Chronicles of St Mary's (10 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)
  • An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
“I suspect the Universe is making damned sure we don’t get the chance to contaminate other planets with our stupidity. It’s keeping us on this one where the only thing we can damage is each other.” 11 likes
“I personally think humans have got about as far as we can go. We're wrecking the planet. We're never short of good reasons to massacre each other. Wrong god. Wrong race. Wrong color. Wrong sex. I'm actually quite surprised a thoroughly pissed-off History hasn't waved a flaming sword and we're all back in caves in the snow, chewing on half-cooked mammoth. And even that's more than we deserve.
No wonder we still can't get to Mars. I suspect the Universe is making damned sure we don't get the chance to contaminate other planets with our stupidity. It's keeping us on this one where the only thing we can damage is each other.”
8 likes