Start by marking “Love Monster and the Scary Something” as Want to Read:
Love Monster and the Scary Something

Love Monster and the Scary Something

(Love Monster #4)

A hair-raisingly funny and deliciously spooky new title in this monster hit series!

A heart-poppingly empowering, edge-of the-bed story, about
Published October 8th 2015 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks (first published 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Love Monster and the Scary Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Monster and the Scary Something

Start your review of Love Monster and the Scary Something
Mischenko
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love Monster just can't sleep and the night becomes spookier. Is something out there to get him? Love Monster must be brave. Follow along to see if he can overcome his fears.

Although this isn't technically a Halloween book, we love this one for this time of year. The best illustrations!
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Check out more picture book reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

It’s way past bedtime o’clock in Cutesville and Love Monster is the only one who’s wide awake… Or is he? As the sounds of the night make his imagination run wild… will he be brave enough to stare his fears straight in the googly eye?

I thought my nephew might enjoy the art of this book... And he did... But we didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought we would. The art is good but the way it is framed on the page is only stellar in
Abigail
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Love Monster / Readers Looking for Children's Stories Addressing Nighttime Fears
It's "bedtime o'clock" in Cutesville, and Love Monster is trying to get to sleep. Unfortunately he just can't drop off, lying there listening to the sounds of the night. But when some unexpected noises downstairs convince him that there is a scary something in the house with him, he finds he must choose between cowering under the covers or getting up and discovering what it is....

The fourth and thus far final picture-book devoted to the adventures of the eponymous Love Monster, Love Monster and
Jessica (Spooky KidLit & We Who Walk Here, Walk Alone)
Be prepared for an avalanche of giggles with this book. Love Monster and the Scary Something is adorable, and with its silly words and sound effects it lends itself to such an over-the-top read-aloud style that you’ll probably have to pause quite a bit to let kids catch their breath from laughing so much. Rachel Bright’s art style is loose and expressive, and she adds hilarious details for both kids and adults to enjoy.

The story does get a bit scary in the middle, though, as Love Monster’s
Taylor
Aylea
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s way past bedtime, but Love Monster can’t sleep. He’s done his regular bedtime routine, but he keeps hearing scary sounds that are keeping him from being able to sleep. He can hear something in the yard, then coming into the house, and then coming up the stairs! The Love Monster finally gets the courage to get out a flashlight to see what is causing the noise, only to discover when he faces his fear that there wasn’t anything to be scared of all along.

The build-up might be too scary for some
Joseph Crupper
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book to perform! For sequels, this one does fairly well at establishing its own narrative pattern. I read it to the kids for a Halloween Reading Time, and it lived up to its spooky potential. I love the original as well, but I had read the original and I had to suppose that some kids had not. Does Love Monster stand alone as a character with having been cured into his originality? I think so. It’s sequel-ness is the only flaw of an otherwise cute, spooky, and narratively delicious ...more
Alicia Evans
I wasn't as in love with the previous Love Monster books as the first 2, and this one works as the middle ground between them. Just like the last book, there weren't a lot of connections with the first 2 books, but it feels more coherent with the 3rd one. I liked the playfully spooky elements of the book and it would work wonderfully as a read aloud.

For: fans of monsters or readers looking for a (sort of) scary book about facing one's fears.

Possible red flags: some may find too anxiety
Sara Patterson
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: eled-340
(picture book). This story was a lot like "The Dark," by Lemony Snicket, but it wasn't told quite as artfully. I did like the use of the scary looking text and the effect of increasing the size of the text as the scary thing got closer and closer. The one thing I did't like about this story is, where Lemony Snicket implies through the illustrations and the text that your fears can be driven away by taking a risk and facing them, this book outright says, when you face your fears, they don't seem ...more
James Declan
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: james-mommy
Such a fun book. James found it in the library and loved it. For a three year old, it was an exciting thriller followed by relief and giggles. We re-read it several times at the library and I've jotted it down to get it again around Halloween.
Terresa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars: 2 for text, 1 for the illus.

Meh. Cutesville is an actual place in this book, that's enough to remove another star. Cute enough illustrations but the big-small-big text/font is not easily readable.
Lisa
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute book had my two year olds in awe
Beth
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fun scary times.
Erin Murphy
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book made me think of the little monster in my life that is often scared of many different things in the middle of the night.
Amanda
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A nice addition to the Love Monster series. Love Monster is having trouble falling asleep when he hears a noise. What could it be? A good book about friendship and facing fears.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book for fans of love monster stories, though there’s a spooky passage (as the title implies.)
Vallyn
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-miss-e
Love Monster is hearing something scary because he can't sleep. Cute story about his night.
Faith Tydings
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
"...sometimes, it's only when you're brave enough to face what you're afraid of...that you find out there was nothing to be scared of, after all."

LOVE!
Crystal Pralle
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

My sons loved this suspenseful, sweet tale of bravery and friendship. We have read it over and over since our purchase.
Emily
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story about a monster who is afraid of the dark...and something that is creeping up the stairs.....
Great for a spooky story time.
Fun for both a friendship theme and a monster theme story time.
Jami
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an adorable book about a cute monster facing his fears of nighttime. This would be great for anyone scared of the dark. Really cute illustrations too!
Radha TheLibrarian
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My monster obsessed little girl LOVES this book.
Steph
This work has lovely illustrations and when the ISD audience hears me read this picture book, they love it.

My favorite part of reading this to kinder students is that they actually feel worried for Love Monster. They sit up a little straighter, they lean forward, and one young girl covered her eyes with her hands and peaked through her fingers to see who was coming up the stairs to Love Monster's room.

I think little ones actually enjoy being made to feel a bit of worry and fear.
Lynn
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I want to use it as a read aloud for my younger students. Love Monster's tries to fall asleep and sounds scare him. Could be used with a lesson about bravery and facing your fears. I recommend this picture book for PK and up.
Baby Bookworm
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everyone! Our book today is Love Monster And The Scary Something by Rachel Bright, an adorable tale about facing one’s fears of the things that go bump in the night.

Love Monster has finished his bedtime routine and is all ready to settle in for sleepy time, but the noises in his home are very spooky! Surely, there is a horrible creature climbing the stairs to do him in, but he must
Heather
Even after finishing his entire bedtime routine of hot milk, books, and snuggling with Teddy, Love Monster is wide awake. The more he lays in bed listening to the sounds around him, the more convinced he is that something scary is coming to get him. As the creaking, bumping, and shuffling noises get closer, Love Monster cowers under the comforter, but eventually, he decides not knowing is worse than whatever it could be out, so he throws off the covers and shines his flashlight on…his little ...more
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
We really enjoyed it. Both my children requested to read it often and were very excited about it, especially all the sound effects.
Barbara
Returning for the fourth time with her sweet monster and her trademark solar etchings, this author/illustrator from England shares a story with which just about anyone could relate. After enjoying his bedtime rituals, Love Monster climbs into bed, but it's hard to sleep because of the noises he hears. As the noises get louder and come closer, his imagination runs away with him, and he is terribly frightened. (As a side note, so are readers because of the great onomatopoeia and description used ...more

• XO, OX: A Love Story
  • Truman
  • Hug Machine
  • A Big Bed for Little Snow
  • The Return of Thelma the Unicorn
  • Hotel Bruce (Mother Bruce series, Book 2)
  • The Heart and the Bottle
Rachel is a writer of words, drawer of pictures and champion of silver linings. She exhibits widely, writes tirelessly and frequently creates slightly unhinged characters.

Her written work includes children’s stories and poems, clever advertising copy and lots of other stuff besides. Her illustrative work is a smorgasboard of giant, hand-printed poems, mind-bogglingly detailed gouache illustrations

Love Monster (4 books)