Start by marking “The Artist's Masquerade (Chronicles of Tournai, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Artist's Masquerade (Chronicles of Tournai, #2)

The Artist's Masquerade

(Chronicles of Tournai #2)

As the first-born son of the Duke of Tournai and cousin to the prince, Cathal has always tried to fulfill his duty to family and country, including following through with an arranged marriage to Velia, cousin to the emperor of Ardunn. But it’s Velia’s companion, Flavia, who fascinates Cathal. Cathal doesn’t know that Flavia is really Flavian, a man masquerading as a woman ...more
Published December 21st 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Artist's Masquerade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Artist's Masquerade

Start your review of The Artist's Masquerade (Chronicles of Tournai, #2)
Kazza
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My soul needed this sweet book. I'm not saying that it's perfect, it isn't perfect, I can't be bothered saying why, I don't care. You know how you just read to get away from shit that happens? Well, this book gave me a bit of much needed bookish escape. I wish the next book was ready because I'd be reading that right now. That's as high a compliment as I can give a book, but it's an individual and personal thing, bear that in mind.

A huge bonus was I honestly didn't think Cathal could be so love
Serena Yates
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This second visit to the fantasy world of which Tournai is a part was as fantastic, amazing, and full of surprises as the first. While ‘The Prince’s Consort’ focused on royal couple Philip and Amory, who play an essential role again, this second volume is cousin Cathal’s story. Now, if you have read the first book (and you should before attempting this one), you may remember that Cathal was not exactly the nicest person around. I thought it was fascinating how that changed with a little more inf ...more
Amy
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-them
Another great story!! Looking forward to the next one!
Sara
I had major reservations about this book when it first came out as Cathal was not someone I liked. He was crass and rude in The Prince's Conscort and I skipped this book orginally and read book three with his lovely, heartsick brother Etan. But reading Etan's book gave me glimpses of the man Cathal now was so... I knew I needed to see how he got there and the man who made him truly wonderful.

This was everything I could have wanted for Cathal and more. I love that he saw more than the surface of
Flory
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The reason for my 1 star rating isn't because the book was bad (in fact I believe many people will love it) but because I was somehow, and despite the nice hea, kind of disappointed by it.

First of all I’ll be honest: I expected book#2 to be about Etan and Tristan (whom I've been liking as characters and as a potential couple since they met in book#1) so when I found out it was going to be instead about Cathal, Etan’s older brother, and Flavian, a new character altogether, I was kind of put off.
Veronica of V's Reads
This is the second book in a fantasy series, and likely best enjoyed when read in sequence, though it can be read as a standalone.

Cathal is the eldest son of a Grand Duke in Tournai, a small but wealthy country with a bustling port in the capital city of Jumelle. Cathal's cousin is the Crown Prince Philip, and Cathal is his advisor and personal secretary. Cathal is 25 and is startled to learn that his father has arranged a marriage for him, to a cousin of the Emperor of Ardunn. This marriage pr
Jena
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Antonia Aquilante writes another engaging and imaginative romance! I love Tournai...I think that I'd like to move there. I can't wait to read what happens next in this gorgeous series! Well done, Toni!!!
Serena Yates
Ivy Brooks
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the first book, this romance story follows Prince Phillip's cousin Cathal and Flavian. At first, I wasn't as excited to read their story as I wasn't originally a huge fan of Cathal. I am glad I read it though, as I loved watching him slowly shed his standoffish personality the more his story developed. I think a lot of that had to do with him stepping out from underneath his fathers shadow, and of course through the growth of his relationships with Amory, Phillip and Flavian.

Overall, I r
Laila Khan
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from the publishers to review.
This book is sharp and sweet at the same time. I wasn't a big fan of Cathal after book 1 but I went into this book, determined to give him a chance. I am so glad I did as it was lovely to see the development in Cathals character and seeing growth in a character.
I really liked Flavian as well, especially as he opened up, showing a deeper character than the prickly one first seen.
At the 3/4 Mark, I predicted the solution to the mystery which interlac
Joscelyn Smith
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful second addition to the Chronicles of Tournai series. Cathal and Flavian were well-written, fully realized characters and I enjoyed their story immensely, it was a great story against the backdrop of the political intrigue going on. I am really enjoying this series and I cannot wait to read more of this amazing world and it's brilliantly written characters.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
llv
Rating: 4 stars
I really liked this sequel to “The Prince’s Consort”. It was good to visit Phillip and Amory again. I thought that both Cathal and Flavian were great as the MCs. Flavian, I liked early on. Cathal, grew on me as the story progressed. The story itself kept me entertained from start to finish. All in all, a good addition to the Chronicle of Tournai. Am looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Wax
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, own-have
I liked this less than the previous book. I still loved the setting, and seeing more of Phillip and Amory (and Julien!) was great. However, I'm not sure that Cathal really redeemed himself in my eyes after what he did in the first book. Also, he honestly wasn't impressing me in this book either, and the way things turned out wasn't because he grew a pair but because Flavian was incredibly brave.
Elaine White
Book – The Artist's Masquerade (Chronicles of Tournai #2)
Author – Antonia Aquilante
Star rating - ★★★★★
No. of Pages – 300

Cover – Stunning!
POV – 3rd person, past tense, multiple POV (Predominantly Cathal and Flavian, which small instances of Philip, Amory)
Would I read it again – Yes.

Genre – LGBT, Fantasy, Adventure, Romance

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

Honestly, I was surprised that this story came before Etan's. At the end of book 1, we didn't leave Cat
Brandilyn
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015, read-2016, mm
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

I almost didn't read the first book in the Tales from Tournai series, The Prince's Consort. After I finished that installment, I was happy I hadn't listened to my friend who DNFed it. Now that I have read book two in the series, I am doubly happy and eager for book three. Afterall, Aquilante has a sad to resolve. Poor Eton, but I digress.

For full review see Prism Book Alliance® http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?p=4...

Kate
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-and-bl
The Chronicles of Tournai series was a surprise for me because I didn't expect myself to enjoy it so much. The Artist's Masquerade was a fantasy romance with impressive main characters, the story very sweet and lovely, just as the previous book. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Maria
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that I found I couldn't put down! I continue to be pulled into this fantasy world and the characters. Great writing that makes you feel for the characters and cheer them on.
Ada
DNF at 50%

No. just no.
Anna
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this one better than the first one!
George
Feb 13, 2016
Lestatt
Jan 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dragon Consultant (Supernatural Consultant #1)
  • Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
  • Secret at Skull House (Secrets and Scrabble #2)
  • Hush (Hush, #1)
  • The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)
  • Hawk
  • The Day She Came Back
  • Olive
  • Untitled Summer 2020
  • The Engineer's Wife
  • The Book of Kings
  • WitchCraft Cocktails: From Aphrodite's Love Potion to Mercurial Grounding Elixir, 75 Seasonal Drinks Infused with Magic and Ritual
  • The Unseen (Elder Races #9.9)
  • Let's Fix Lunch: Enjoy Delicious, Planet-Friendly Meals at Work, School, or On the Go
  • Beautiful Wild
  • Crochet: Over 130 Techniques and Stitches
  • Never Now
  • The Tuscan Contessa
Antonia Aquilante has been making up stories for as long as she can remember, and at the age of twelve, decided she would be a writer when she grew up. After many years and a few career detours, she has returned to that original plan. Her stories have changed over the years, but one thing has remained consistent - they all end in happily ever after.

She has a fondness for travel (and a long list of

Chronicles of Tournai (7 books)
  • The Prince's Consort (Chronicles of Tournai, #1)
  • The Scholar's Heart (Chronicles of Tournai, #3)
  • The Sorcerer's Guardian (Chronicles of Tournai, #4)
  • The Dragon’s Devotion (Chronicles of Tournai, #5)
  • The Merchant's Love (Chronicles of Tournai, #6)
  • The Spymaster's Secret (Chronicles of Tournai #7)

News & Interviews