Start by marking “Compact Farms: 15 Proven Plans for Market Farms on 5 Acres or Less; Includes Detailed Farm Layouts for Productivity and Efficiency” as Want to Read:

Small is beautiful, and these 15 real farm plans show that small-scale farmers can have big-time success. Compact Farms is an illustrated guide for anyone dreaming of starting, expanding, or perfecting a profitable farming enterprise on five acres or less. The farm plans explain how to harness an area’s water supply, orientation, and geography in order to maximize efficien ...more
Published February 7th 2017 by Storey Publishing, LLC

Heather Brown
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy
Compact Farms has a lot to offer anyone interested in starting or modifying a small farm. With pictures and descriptions of tiny, small, and medium farms from all across America (and one Canadian farm), the variety of information is stupendous. The author goes in depth for each farm; describing the crops, methods, equipment, fertilizers, pest control, harvesting, and what each farm does with their harvest. It is amazing! Every type of farm, every region, every method is represented, so that read ...more
Katie Simmons
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Compact Farms takes us through 15 small farms across the United States, with one of them being his own. This books preface gives an idea of what the author wants us to get out of the book and explain John Jeavon's ideas for small, less than 5 acre, farms should look like. Part One asks and, for the most part, answers the question, "Why Farm Small?" Part Two gives us the detailed look at the 15 profiled farms. For each of these farms, the reader is given a look into what the farm does, including: ...more
Susan K
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful photos of different successful market garden farms. Many different types, great photographs, loved that they included Harvest succession plans (abbreviated), and useful tools and tips. This is very helpful to me running my school garden to get ideas that will help me improve my productivity.
Highly recommend for anyone doing small scale farming.
Amelia
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Not only how to make living with farming, but how to enjoy living with a sense of purpose. There is no one right way to approach it, but some strategies work better than others. Great way to learn from the experiences of others, along with terrific resources.
Benjamin
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would have actually preferred more technical detail on how each farm laid out washing and packing stations as well as road access for maximum efficiency, but at least all the pictures are nice and the crop planning charts are useful and concise.
Muriel Fang
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted to get the nitty gritty of farm plans (financials, regulations, etc.) While this book does not provide these details, it nevertheless inspired me by showing a diverse set of small farms across climate, urban/rurual, and marketing plans.
Barbara
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compact Farms

Excellent book, very inspiring, real people, real farms, real successes! I especially enjoyed the farm layouts ("maps"), and the financials aspects of each farm. The stories of each farm were very inspiring.
Debbi Cobern
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book except for the fact that I couldn't enlarge any of the pics, maps, etc. on my kindle app. on my laptop for some reason. That was very disappointing since I wanted to see a detail of the farms layouts. For those wanting to start a small farm this is a good place to start!
Whitney Pittsenbarger
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
some of these designs were very inspiring on the space utilized.
Karatepop
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review on Sunday. Compiling m'notes!
Elizabeth Simons