Start by marking “Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects” as Want to Read:
Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects

Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects

Create your own science lab and try out amazing experiments with Maker Lab: Make Your Own Science Experiments.

Put on that lab coat and secure those safety glasses before testing over 30 kid-safe experiments that use common household items. Grow geodes in eggshells, make a bouncing ball out of slime, and build a rubber band solar system!

With kid-friendly experiments and
Published July 5th 2016 by DK Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Maker Lab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maker Lab

Start your review of Maker Lab: 28 Super Cool Projects
Luanne Ollivier
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Makerspaces. Have you heard the term before? I'm going to give you the library definition, as that's where my interests lie.

"A library makerspace is an area and/or service that offers library patrons an opportunity to create intellectual and physical materials using resources such as computers, 3-D printers, audio and video capture and editing tools, and traditional arts and crafts supplies. In the field of library science, makerspaces are classified as a type of library service offered by
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is fun for all. The projects use common things found around the house and are easy to do. Great for parents and teachers. Easy to understand instructions that go step by step. Price is also a plus. I had a great time making several of the projects. I think anyone would enjoy using the book even through it is listed as ages 8 - 12.
Amy
Aug 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very well done! Photos and explanations of projects are easy to understand. But it felt more like a science experiment book than something to use for Maker Space.
Christine Turner
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
As seen on "The Late Late Show with James Corden"
Supporting STEM education initiatives and the maker movement, the National Parenting Publication Award-winner Maker Lab includes 28 kid-safe projects and crafts that will get young inventors' wheels turning and make science pure fun.
Each step-by-step activity is appropriate for kids ages 8-12, and ranked easy, medium, or hard, with an estimated time frame for completion. Requiring only household materials, young makers can build an exploding
Marfita
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
It is rare to find a project book that makes me want to try everything. Who knew making Baked Alaska would be an demonstration of the science of heat transfer! I wish I could get a homeschooling program going again. The photographic illustrations are gorgeous and appealing (aside from many of them containing food). The instructions are easy to follow and there's also an explanation of the science involved.
I immediately made the kaleidoscope because it didn't call for any kind of mirror. It uses
Rebecca Ann
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ch-nonfiction
Diana
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, non-fiction
If you are a STEAM enthusiast or have kids who are, this the THE book for you! With crazy cool projects that make use of materials you can actually find without extensive research, this book makes making easy. I've pulled several ideas and used them for after school programs and they've all worked like a charm.
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
Although some experiments (especially in the chapter, "Food for Thought") require adult supervision, many of them can be executed by kids on their own. Each concept includes a "How It Works" and a "Real World Science" section, so that kids understand not only how the experiment works but how it is applied in real life.
Helen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is everything that my kids love and want to do!
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cool
Inhabiting Books
I love this book. My kids love this book. The projects are very do-able, and best of all, the science behind it gets explained beautifully.
Andrea
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book contains great maker activities with materials that we can find in our homes... Lots of learning and fun projects!
KC
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great STEM and science how-to by DK. Easy, moderate, and difficult science and engineering projects.
Deisha Zilionis
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some really good and fun ideas in this, great for busy parents trying to find more to do with the kids.
Wendy Kuzma
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
There are so many fun STEAM projects in here that I want to try! Beautiful photographs and simple instructions for projects with materials that are easily accessible.
Critterbee❇
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty, library
Great collection of fun projects, most of them quick, perfect for older children and teens.

The book has great photos (it IS a DK book after all) and easy to follow step by step instructions on how to make sugar crystal lollipops, bath fizzies, water filters, baloon powered toy cars, invisible ink, and even a baked Alaska dessert!

Bonus points awarded for
- clearly illustration ingredient sections
- accurate completion time estimations
- level of difficulty meter
- alerts for potentially tricky or
L
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Colorful pictures illustrate the projects and their steps creating an engaging makerspace book for youth and adult readers. The HOW IT WORKS section will be a great asset for teachers working on lesson plans.
The Keepers of the Books
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Looking for a book with kid-friendly experiments? Well, look no further, put on your lab coat, and you won't be disappointed. Slime, balloon rockets, Baked Alaska, and eggshell geodes are but a few of our favorite experiments we tried from this book.

The photos and instructions are detailed and easy to follow. The information about why the experiment works the way it does is accurate, simple enough for any age to understand, and makes you want to explore topics further. Perfect for at-home
Erin
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great, wide-range of makerspace activities kids could easily do on their own or with a grown-up, depending on their age. Everything from Baked Alaska to a lemon battery to a water filtering system! with a foreward by Jack Andraka who, at 15 years old, invented an early detection test for ovarian and lung cancer.
Judy
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun book with a lot of great ideas. I'm not sure I would use some of the ideas at my library as the mess factor, plus the cost factor, would be an issue but highly recommended for moms and dads looking to expand STEM at home.
Chantelle Janelle
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Excellent explanations, some novel projects. (The "Breathing Machine" project is a neat project concept that I haven't seen before.) However, the majority of the book is rehashing classic science fair projects. I expected more new content because of the book title.
Silence
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is rad! The graphics and directions make it perfect for younger makers. It has 28 snazzy projects to choose from, all of which would make great additions to storytimes or maker clubs. I highly reccomend this!
Trudi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, crafts
Very cook and creative book of science experiments.
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-favorites
Great classic kid science projects. Including now only instructions but the science involved. Great pictures.
Beth
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I must own this book! It's colorful, easily understood and informative. Every experiment is clearly described and illustrated. The scientific explanations are brief, pertinent and easily memorable.
Catherine
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book has some interesting ideas/projects that kids can complete at home or in a school setting.
Heydi Smith
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-non-fic
The projects in this book are simple, fun, and easy to supply. The instructions are clear and the science application interesting. A gold star winner!!
Julia
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I tried a invention and it worked!!!!
Olivia Benjamin
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think it was very cool and the crafts were very interesting.

• The Day You Begin
  • Pedal Power: How One Community Became the Bicycle Capital of the World
  • Dazzle Ships: World War I and the Art of Confusion
  • Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • Tuesday
  • Tricking the Tallyman
  • Ben Draws Trouble
  • The Potato King
  • The Hindenburg
  • Rare Treasure: Mary Anning and Her Remarkable Discoveries
  • The Baby Tree
  • Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics)
  • The Stuff of Stars
  • Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
  • Atlas of Animals
  • The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #0.5)
  • Stung (Stung, #1)