Start by marking “Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #25)” as Want to Read:
Crimson Death  (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #25)

Crimson Death

(Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #25)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  10,444 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews
In her twenty-fifth adventure, vampire hunter and necromancer Anita Blake learns that evil is in the eye of the beholder...

Anita has never seen Damian, her vampire servant, in such a state. The rising sun doesn't usher in the peaceful death that he desperately needs. Instead, he's being bombarded with violent nightmares and blood sweats.

And now, with Damian at his most v
Published October 11th 2016 by Berkley

·  10,444 ratings  ·  1,307 reviews

Start your review of Crimson Death (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #25)
Skilly
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Updated and revised review below*******
This review is titled "Haters gonna hate" and may be deleted by Goodreads like my review of Dead Ice was.
The Good: Edward/Ted always brings actual plot to these books (although he isn't in the book as much as he should be)
Nathaniel grew up and finally started showing that he is a were leopard and not a fluffy housecat. It was nice to see him go along for once and not be left home to do all the cooking and cleaning and basically housewife stuff for Anita.
D
Jilly
You know when someone is trying to tell you a story and then they get so fixated on details that don't matter that you forget what the point was? And, you no longer care. You just want out of the conversation so badly that you are willing to set yourself on fire to get away from them.

This book is that person telling the story.

I just want to know where the hell is the editing team? How could they allow such a messy clusterfuck go to print?

It's not just the usual B.S. of having Anita describe what
1-Click Addict Support Group
I don't always know why I keep reading this series. For one thing, at this point, I know what everyone looks like. I have them so ingrained into my brain after a million books that I don't need a full reminder of each character in every new installment. I get that there is a complicated poly-relationship. I don't need details of every kiss goodbye. It shouldn't take multiple pages to simply list who she has to say goodbye too. I do like how the author has adapted the sexual aspects of the relati ...more
EA Solinas
Oct 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: this review discusses aspects of the book "Crimson Death" that may be triggering to survivors of rape and sexual abuse. So proceed with caution... and do not read the book.

Forget pride -- optimism is what goes before a fall. After hearing that Laurell K. Hamilton's latest book was going through the editing wringer, I actually began to hope that we might get at least a passable book. Not a great one, but at least readable.

Alas, my optimism was unwarranted. Not only is "Crimson Death" a t
Lorena
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this series, the books averaged between 300-350 pages in paperback. This latest entry is 708 pages in hardcover, and it took me FOREVER to get through it, because the page difference is not made up of more plot. Instead, it has never been more clear that LKH is mining her own humdrum life of polyamory, therapy about polyamory, and working out for filler material to surround increasingly meager and thin “plots,” and dressing it up in allegedly-sexy vampire and lycanth ...more
Lukas Anthony
Oct 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To anyone like me, who continues to more or less hate-read this series....I think we need to get real and create a support group or something, because we must all have some serious, serious issues.

image
Mskychick
Oct 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc-library, dnf
Negative 2 stars

My god, I just want Anita Blake to shut up. Talking, talking, talking, whining, talking, complaining, endlessly describing. SHUT UP!

Only 35 pages in and someone is already whining about who is sleeping with who.  God, I'm sick of this. Stop it, already- there's been books and books in this series filled with this drivel.

Also, disdainfully calling something a "girl trap" is rude and demeaning. You're a woman, too, Ms. Hamilton. Should we tar you with the same brush?  Do you hate
Lindsay
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've always had a love-hate relationship with this series, and the hateful aspects have come to dominate the way I talk about these books to people. So in this review I'm going to attempt to explain why I've stuck with them for this long despite their many, many flaws. (Very briefly, horrible pacing, overlong didactic conversations and too much tab A-slot B sexual description).

Nostalgia. First and foremost, at one stage this was a fantastic urban fantasy series with some pretty good writing and
Bradley
Personal recommendation: don't go into this expecting much of anything, and then you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, after the last book, where I got so frustrated I actually gave it a single star and a rant, where I told myself I was stopping the series altogether, I fully didn't expect to pick up this 25th book at all.

Especially because we were going to have to deal with whiney-boy Damian as a main character.

But. Haven't I invested so much time and energy loving this series as a whole? B
Bubble B
Edited review

Edward!!!!!!!!!
Edward, Edward, Edward!!!!! Finally!!!!! Mussed him sooooooooo much! I really hope this book brings it, because the last one, pffft.. didn't even want to read it again, and that's when you know the book didn't do it for me. Obsidian Butterfly is the book I judge all the other books by. Even though a couple of my favorite characters didn't say hello, the fact that there was no Richard drama and we got to find out so much about the most enigmatic character of the series
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Wow, well first I thought I might DNF. It had been so long, I wasn't sure I could survive Anita's head. Her obsessive need to have an hour long conversation during a thirty second walk to the bathroom annoyed me and about broke me. I dislike Anita very much and have from the beginning of the series. It's the cast of side/minor/major characters and my fantasy to walk in her shoes that keeps me going. I love we had a taste of all my favorites. Micah, JC, Nicky, Dev and Sin, oh and Edward made the ...more
Jeanny
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Re-read 01/21/17 DNF I was reminded why I hate Nathaniel & how boring the story line was during the reread. 1 star.
-----------------
Read 10/10/16
2.5/3 generous stars. I can honestly say 25 books in I'm ready for an end to this series. It's passed it's expiration date imo it has perhaps 2 books left in the overall arc. I need to see an end near or I may jump ship soon bc it's getting ridiculously repetitive. This was an extremely tiring story. Also I now hate Nathaniel.
Beth
Anita gets a call from Edward asking for her help with an Irish paranormal problem. They don't know what is causing it but Ireland, a supposed vampire free zone, has had a rash of vampire killings.

For the first 50% of Crimson Death they are discussing Anita going to Ireland, their relationships and feelings, their relationships and feelings, their relationship and feelings.

There are a few issues with Anita heading to Ireland. The vampire known as “the one who made him”, aka Damian’s creator an
Morgan
Oct 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is a mess now. I just want to go back to the Anita Blake from the first 6 books. When she was an amazing character, not this mess of drama filled nonsense. I want to like this series again, but I just can't....

You can find more of my reviews here:
Chapter One
Suz
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy

I am saddened to have to round up to a three but this one was only barely OK. My rounding up to 3 is from loyalty to the series. It's nice to revisit beloved characters and there were a couple of places that made me smile, but mostly I had to force myself through this installment. I am worried that my hard-core fan-dom of this series is waning, and hoping that it was just this installment to the series.

First let me say this:

I didn't mind the erotic turn the series took. Admittedly not
Stacy
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've come to the conclusion that my relationship with Anita is like the literary equivalent of a battered housewife: "Why do you stay?" "Well, he used to be so GOOD, and he doesn't mean to hurt me, so I'm sure if just give him another chance..."
So when I say that this one's not that bad, understand that what I really mean is, "Hey, I only have a black eye and a sprained wrist! No broken bones this time! It's been a good day!" (and no, I assure you, I am not making light of domestic abuse, but it
Jessica Loves Books
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
I want to preface this review by saying that I have always loved the Anita Blake series, and I probably WILL always love the Anita Blake series. I have read every single one, and I will continue to read until the bitter end. However, there are a couple of things that have become very common throughout the last 10 or so books that do bug me.
#1 - Anita still constantly questions EVERYTHING around her. Especially when it comes to her relationships, her men/women, anything involved with that. It get
Handcrafted Librarian
Not a bad addition to Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series. It does continue where the last book left us, but at this point in the series there are so many characters that there's almost no real expectation of remembering exactly who any of the new people are. Ms. Hamilton enjoys throwing people into big orgy piles and they are entertaining to read but not easy to follow along. I miss some of the older really good characters such as Wicked and Truth and am no longer that interested every tim ...more
Rachel
Oct 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had so many problems, and not just the normal "Shut up about the poly-relationship crap and get to the story" problem. I mean LKH was all over the map with the plot, the story did not flow, new characters were introduced like they had been there all along. Anita did not stay true to her character. She actually gets bespelled and then just forgives the use of powers on her in less than a page?! And it never gets mentioned again.
It took 354 pages to get to Ireland!!! and then we only ge
Bibliofiendlm
If this one is bad, then I'm giving up. I probably should have ages ago. ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
Dear gods. I’m almost stunned. This is gonna be a long one.

This was, quite frankly, the worst Anita Blake book of the entire series. Yes, I’m aware of the very rocky road of this series. I have followed it from its early moments of awesome as it careened every downwards, occasionally showing sparkles of hope but ultimately plunging deeper into the abys and hitting rock bottom and then positively wallowing there

Well, this book went deeper. At rock bottom it pulled out mining equipment and made a
Anna's Herding Cats
Dec 05, 2015 marked it as eventual-reviews  ·  review of another edition
Woohoo! After Dead Ice and getting a little taste of the old Anita feel I can't wait to see what'll happen with Crimson Death. ...more
Krissys
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: featured-books, star

Anita has never seen Damian, her vampire servant, in such a state. The rising sun doesn’t usher in the peaceful death that he desperately needs. Instead, he’s being bombarded with violent nightmares and blood sweats.

And now, with Damian at his most vulnerable, Anita needs him the most. The vampire who created him, who subjected him to centuries of torture, might be losing co
Hayat
Jul 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars because of Edward and the new Irish characters

Nothing makes sense and everything hurts.

Nothing happened for the whole 720 ebook pages (24 hours and 12 min of the audiobook) until the last few pages, and even then it was rushed and pointless!

I kept reading this series out of nostalgia and hope ( i.e. Obsidian Butterfly) but everything I used to like about it is now completely overtaken by issues. This is the 25th book in the Anita Blake series and I see that nothing is going to improve
All Things Urban Fantasy
Process nerds will find much to love and hate in the latest Anita Blake installment. While readers may tune in to solve a crime spree, that promised police procedure never materializes. Rather, CRIMSON DEATH offers an unexpected love song to therapy, to the rewards of the hard work required to maintain relationships both romantic and otherwise. For the first time in a long, long time, it is the relationship side of Anita's story that offers progress and hope.

As with many of the later Anita Blake
BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I told myself I'd record my reaction as I read it... and I didn't. Basically, within 100 pages, nothing has happened other than the usual explaining why Anita isn't a slut. Why Anita is hated by males and females a like in the law enforcement. Why Anita has so many sexual partners and Cookie the Bride... is a psychopath but oh so tasty in bed.

This book didn't leave much of an impression other than hinted sex.
What is the same

✔ Magic shit is going on. - Nathaniel is getting stronger.
✔ Anita gets
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
At A Glance
Better than previous books but still a long way to go.
The Good
So it's been some time since I gave Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter another chance. This series got too sexual. I know, that's crazy coming from me. This series use to be my favorite but when you take a badass character and change the focus from action to sex midway into the series, it's just not right. So I missed quite a few books, but I easily fell back into the series.

This series still has it's positives. Anita
Danielle's
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Anita Blake books are one of my favourite series. I would recommend you start with book one. In 25 books we have come a long way.

Anita's best friend and partner in the hunt (Monster) has called for her help. Edward is in Ireland trying to solve a new disturbing case.

Apparently, vampire's don't exist in Ireland, but humans are getting bitten with no memory of what has happened. This part of the world holds its own magic, and an upset in the balance could be behind the new found problems.

Dami
Julia
While I came for the crime spree, that promised police procedure never materializes. Rather, CRIMSON DEATH offers an unexpected love song to therapy, to the rewards of the hard work required to maintain relationships both romantic and otherwise.

As with many of the later Anita Blake books, Crimson Death proves that it is possible to have too much of a good thing. All the care once lavished on which color Nike swoosh graced the side of Anita's shoes now makes every chance conversation a social le
Mara
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I followed Bradley's piece of advice: I went into this book with no expectation whatsoever (except negative ones maybe :)), and it worked. I did enjoy reading this novel, even if the repetitive description and fake characterization are as usual heavy handed. :)

There was just a moment when I was more than a little irritated and it's the dungeon scene. How low the mighty Anita has fallen.

A personal musing: if there's a god of editors I'm pretty sure she's
Wichita Falls Pub...: When do you give up on a series? 3 58 Jul 05, 2019 06:29PM
AB 2018: Serpentine 3 18 Jun 09, 2019 05:44PM
Anita Blake Vampi...: Crimson Death #25 22 54 May 01, 2018 03:24AM
Nathaniel's hair 1 9 Apr 27, 2018 03:17AM
LKH 5 60 Nov 28, 2016 01:38PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #148 Crimson Death by Laurell K Hamilton 1 10 Nov 02, 2016 04:27PM

• Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • American Demon (The Hollows, #14)
  • The Witch With No Name (The Hollows, #13)
  • Accidentally Married to Brother's Best Friend
  • The Enemy's Triumph (Age of the Andinna, #5)
  • The Rebel's Vision (Age of the Andinna #4)
  • Quiet in Her Bones
  • The Champion's Ruin (Age of the Andinna, #6)
  • Arms Dealer (Claw & Warder, #2)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • Fate & Fortune (Stallion Ridge #6)
  • Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11)
  • Demons in the Bedroom (Paranormal House Flippers, #1)
  • Throne of Embers (Beautiful Secrets, #3)
  • Mitzvah (Claw & Warder, #3)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
  • Still of the Night (End of Days, #1)
Laurell K. Hamilton is one of the leading writers of paranormal fiction. A #1 New York Times bestselling author, Hamilton writes the popular Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels and the Meredith Gentry series. She is also the creator of a bestselling comic book series based on her Anita Blake novels and published by Marvel Comics. Hamilton is a full-time writer and lives in the suburbs of St. Louis ...more

Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #1)
  • The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)
  • Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #5)
  • The Killing Dance (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #6)
  • Burnt Offerings (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #7)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)