Start by marking “Practice Makes Perfect (Southern Comfort #5)” as Want to Read:
Practice Makes Perfect (Southern Comfort #5)

Practice Makes Perfect

(Southern Comfort #5)

Helen Lee has a top-secret dream: to publish a romance novel. There’s just one problem, and her most recent rejection letter doesn’t mince words: Helen can’t write a love scene to save her life. As Head of Reference at Willow Springs, Kentucky’s Pembroke College, Helen is hoping her library research skills will do the trick. But she may have to resort to a far more “ ...more
Published August 30th 2016 by Lyrical Shine

To ask other readers questions about Practice Makes Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practice Makes Perfect

Start your review of Practice Makes Perfect (Southern Comfort #5)
Georgie-who-is-Sarah-Drew
3.5 stars for being the right length

Delightful. Doesn't try to do too much and does it well.
Judy
Reviewed on Musings and Ramblings.

I always stop and take a look at books featuring Librarians. I thought long and hard about becoming one, but finally decided that though I enjoy reading books, I personally wasn't professional librarian material. However I still love libraries and those that take care of the books held within.

But this book had more than just librarians, it also had basset hounds. I have been in love with basset hounds since watching The Fox and The Hound as a child. Who can
Sometime
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a perfectly done novella. The author isn't so ambitious that you lose all the good bits. I loved Helen and Henry as they moved from best friends to more. Great book!
Vivian
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5-star read

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for review purposes.

Helen Lee is a research librarian extraordinaire. Her colleagues respect her research abilities. Her friends like and love her. Her two adopted basset hounds, George and Tammy, adore her. The only thing missing from Helen's life is success as a romance author...oh, and having a love life. And apparently, the lack of the latter has gravely influenced the lack of success as a writer. The only thing
LJT
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practice Makes Perfect by Sarah Title is a cute and fun novella. The quick-paced story captured my attention from the very first paragraph, and as a result, I finished it in one sitting.

Librarian Helen Lee and history professor Henry Beckham have been best friends for a long time. They live and work in the sometimes gossipy small town of Willow Springs, Kentucky. Helen is on the verge of publishing her first romance novel, however, according to her publisher, the sex scenes need some spicing up.
Marjorie
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Sarah Title will put a smile on your face over this story regarding a librarian, Helen Lee, trying to write a novel but can't make the sex scenes sing. She keeps getting rejection letters. Helen's best friend, Henry Beckham, professor of history, catches her reading on the computer how to write sex scenes. He decides to help her by being her sex guinea pig.

Henry is researching a brothel that operated in Willow Springs, KY and he thinks the brothel is a house now owned by Pembroke College. The
Despina
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I received copy of this book from NetGalley for a honest review.

I give this story 3 1/2 stars

Practice Makes Perfect is a quick read. I'm not sure what to say about the story, it was sweet but I bit dry, I never fully connected with either Henry or Helen but I the dogs made me laugh. It hard to say what was missing for me, because the story itself is complete, I just didn't really feel the attraction between the two. So the basic story is Helen writes a romance novel, but is told her love scenes
Amber Polo
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So much fun!
Librarian/romance author Helen Lee decides to research sex in order to study and improve her writing of sex scenes. What better way to study erotica than first hand. Lucky for her a friendly history professor has a practicum in mind.
I probably would have still liked it if I wasn't a librarian who's written a couple romance novels (but every time I began a sex scene it turned comic) and am a huge dog lover. I totally believed a librarian would launch a research project just like
Nichole Howell
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh how I wish Practice Makes perfect was a full length novel. There is plenty of content in the story to make it possible. That is the only thing I don't like about the book.....way too short. I WANT MORE!

The novella had me hooked from the beginning. It is a topic I've always wondered about. How do romance writers write the love scenes to make them believable? Do they have to research it, take notes, and act out scenes to make it work? This book takes ahold of those questions as the plot and it
Heather andrews
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Henry was such an oddball, but damn I loved him for it, “I didn’t think you would be so . . . in charge.” He was pretty sure that was a compliment. A compliment to his lovemaking, if not a compliment to his personality. Whatever, there was a compliment in there somewhere. He was pretty sure. “Seriously, Henry. That was amazing.” Yup, definitely a compliment." I liked this book, it was short, sweet and Henry I loved him.
Gemma
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practice makes Perfect was an enjoyable read that enchanted me from the start. It was a short but sweet story and I adored the characters. Helen is determined to release her romance novel and needs help in making her love scenes more hotter in her book. Henry becomes the person to help Helen with fixing her love scenes up in her novel.
I found practice makes perfect to be an enjoyable read.
Cyndi Delia
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Even though I didn't read any of the other books in this series, I still enjoyed it- it had some of my favorite things in it! My full review will come soon!
Emma
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I sadly didn't like this book. Some of Sarah Titles books are great, such as The Undateable, but the romance in this one just didn't work for me. I didn't feel the chemistry at all and the plot felt a bit forced too unfortunately.
Anna Marie
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely, short read about a university librarian who wants to break out of her boring shell and write an erotic romance novel, and her bow-tie wearing best friend who sees his colleague behaving oddly and troubled... and how he sets himself to helping her. LOVED it!
Jennyj Jennifer
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book about books and history!

Gives a glimpse into a connection between love, historic preservation, and local legend. Great, sexy read with humor and friendship thrown in to make the story more engaging!
Penny Leidecker
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Practice Makes Perfect is a fast read about Henry and Helen. Helen received a rejection letter stating that her sex scenes were boring. Henry, being the friend he is, decides to help her with some hands-on research. Grab your copy and see what happens.
Amanda
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a really cute book! I blew right through it. I enjoyed reading a romance set on a college campus with two smart main characters (even though the premise was pretty silly).
Beth
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was just ok. Short story.
Samantha
Quick read, but you know good.
Bungluna
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This fun novella centers around a unique couple: he's a history professor trying to prove that an old house in town was a brothel of historical significance; she's a librarian who finds artistic outlets writing erotic romance. When her book is rejected due to lack of fire in the love scenes, he offers to help her wit "research ". Who knew nerdy, bow tie wearing professors could be so passionate?! Every thing about this story was good. Recommend to readers looking for something fresh.
Amy ~ Love At 1st Read
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Librarian Helen Lee dreams of writing a romance novel. Unfortunately, she just received another rejection letter for her erotic story. The reason? It just ain’t erotic. Helen needs to spice it up. Perhaps she can use her considerable research skills to write the sex scenes.
Helen’s friend and colleague, Henry Beckham, is proud of his friend when he discovers her secret. Henry and Helen started out as colleagues, but they’d grown a real friendship. Helen always helped Henry with his historical
Frederic
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
What a fun time I had reading Practice makes perfect. Sometimes I am in the mood for a funny and short story. This one was everything I was looking for and then some. It is not an easy task to be able to create a good story with an interesting character development in less than 100 pages, Sarah Title managed to do it perfectly. When I reached the end of the story I caught myself hoping that I could have stayed a little longer into the world of Henry and Helen.

Helen is a librarian (I always love
Blackjack
I enjoyed the premise of this book a bit more than the execution. I have to say though that I was smitten from the start by the academic setting and the promise of a romance between a history professor and librarian. My favorite parts of this story center around the research Helen, the librarian, engages in as part of her endeavor to write a romance with believable sex scenes in her spare time. And I liked this part of the novel even more once Henry, Helen's colleague, good friend and hero of ...more
Michelle Robinson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Simple, fun, fast read. Henry was really believable and memorable.
Gaele
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
When a novella leaves you satisfied and smiling, even as you wish there was more to the story, you’ve found a story from Sarah Title. This warm and clever story is full of charm with a touch of the warmth of the south, and is sure to leave readers smiling.

Helen Lee has only ever wanted to live with and in books, and her position as a librarian allows her that. But with a secret desire to write her own romance novel, she’s hit a stumbling block. The publishers wants more spice in her sex scenes,
Janis Hill
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Kensington Books for providing me with a free Arc of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

This was a cute little novella and really is what it is… And what it is is a fast paced, light hearted and amusing look at how to best write romance… set in a romance novella.

I loved its simplicity; we all knew where it was going from the title and blurb, so no real surprises along the way. But it was well written, filled with humour and I loved that the
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This was a short and sweet novella about research librarian turned erotic romance author, Helen, and her co-worker/best friend, historian Henry.

Helen finally gets a rejection letter with a reason for the rejection, and a suggestion for fixing her novel. Turns out Helen's story is great, except her sex scenes are boring. So she decides to do what she does best and research writing a good sex scene.

She's so into her research she doesn't notice Henry reading over her shoulder. Then Henry offers to
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great novella; this novella is part of the Southern Comfort series written by Sarah Title. Helen Lee’s dream is to publish a romance novel. The latest rejection letter says that she can’t write a love scene to save her life. As Head of Reference at Willow Springs, Kentucky’s Pembroke College, Helen is hoping her library research skills will do the trick. But she may have to resort to a far more “hands-on” course of study. Luckily, there’s someone who’s more than happy to instruct her. ...more
Paula
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Practice Makes Perfect by Sarah Title involves writers, researchers, and brothels. To tell too much would ruin this fun, sure-to-bring-a-smile to your face story. I have read several of Ms. Title’s books and know that I can count on an upbeat story-line with endearing characters. Practice Makes Perfect is all that and more. I will never look at the world of academia or bow-ties wearing men the same again.

If you need a lift from your daily life, I recommend Practice Makes Perfect. From Henry to
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a sweet and fairly clean read, this is one book you should not miss.
Even though the premise of this book is an author trying to figure out how to spice up the sex scenes in her novel, and she ends up adding some very hot sex to her life in the process, it is still not an erotic novel. It is a very good relationship read.

This is a book about friendship and loyalty and misunderstanding.
I liked the historical aspect of it, although I would hope there is a spin off novel

• Kissing Galileo (Dear Professor, #2)
  • Her Fake-Fiance Cowboy Protector (Brothers of Miller Ranch, #4)
  • Capture (Elements of Chemistry, #3; Hypothesis, #1.3)
  • I Wish You Were Mine (Oxford, #2)
  • Sandpiper Shore (Harmony Harbor, #6)
  • Under the Northern Lights
  • Irresistible (Buchanans #2)
  • The Trouble with Love  (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #4)
  • I Knew You Were Trouble (Oxford, #4)
  • Attraction (Elements of Chemistry, #1; Hypothesis, #1.1)
  • Having You Is Never Enough (Forever and Ever #4)
  • After the Kiss (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #1)
  • Just One Night (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #3)
  • Love the One You're With (Sex, Love & Stiletto, #2)
  • Someone like You (Oxford, #3)
  • The Bakery Sisters Bundle
  • The Duke's Accidental Wife (Dukes of War, #7)
  • The Snow Man
Sarah Title has worked as a barista, a secretary, a furniture painter, and once managed a team of giant walking beans. She currently leads a much more normal life as a librarian in West Virginia. Kentucky Home is her first novel.

Southern Comfort (5 books)
  • Kentucky Home (Southern Comfort, #1)
  • Home Sweet Home (Southern Comfort, #2)
  • Snowed In (Southern Comfort, #3)
  • Two Family Home (Southern Comfort, #4)