Start by marking “With The First Goodbye (Thirty-Eight, #5)” as Want to Read:
With The First Goodbye (Thirty-Eight, #5)

With The First Goodbye (Thirty-Eight #5)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Bros before hoes or so the saying goes.

However, Maxwell Sheridan threw that saying out the window the minute he hooked up with his best friend, Alex’s, poisonous ex. The moment he slept with her, he was hooked. Sloppy seconds was not his style, but she was a cruel addiction he couldn’t overcome. He thought his days of betraying his best friends were behind him. But Max lea

To ask other readers questions about With The First Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With The First Goodbye

Lu Bielefeld *read.laugh.love*
1-Click Addict Support Group
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE, it makes us do and say things that will ultimately affect the rest of our lives as well as others close to us.

Max and Josie's story had me consuming more chocolate and popcorn than I usually do. One  moment I'm cringing, laughing and bawling then smiling like a fool.

I wanted Max to finally feel what it meant to be free of secrets and regrets. And Josie, how I wanted her to feel for once happy and not be afraid of what the future held for her.

Len Webster, you had my emotions all over the
Anne Milne
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book title should have been a clue that I would cry and I did a lot I really wasn’t prepared for all the feels this book would give me.

I haven’t read the previous books in the series but I managed to follow the story but I will be going back to read them.

Maxwell made a mistake and he can’t let go of the guilt. Josephine has so much on her shoulders she’s struggling to live her life, family college friends there’s no time left for herself.

I really enjoyed this story but both main characters
Natshane
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
🌟 5 La Vie En Rose Stars! 🌟

Oh my lord.

This story is perfection and I am pacing a hole in my room for the second part to come out. I usually preferred reading standalone for contemporary romance novels but Len Webster has managed to convert me into a serial romance reader and I'm killing it now!

So many emotions coursing through my heart right now that I'm rendered speechless, therefore I'm going to take the time off to ponder about what to do next in life. Yeap, it was that KIND of book. *cries
AnessaRenee Reviews
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't even notice this was a part of a series and honestly the author did a great job and making it a stand alone. Well actually I can't say that because I'm dying for the book that comes after this. This story ripped me up. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't for my heart to hurt so badly. The chapters definitely needed to have some sense knocked into them and part of my emotional distress was over not being able to yell at them. But it was definitely a story that completely had ...more
Liz
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first read by Len Webster and I loved it. With the First Goodbye is the first book in Maxwell and Josie’s story. And what a story it was! Emotional and heartbreaking.

Max is haunted by his past and decisions he has made. Though he has tried to move forward, his past always seems to catch up to him. He broke my heart. He felt so much guilt over his past.

Josie’s life has not been easy. She is drained, but is a caring and loyal person. Even with disappointment in her life, she remained
Lily Garcia
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my top favorite books that was worth the wait!

I waited over a year and a half to get my hands on this baby and it was worth the wait! I'm a picky reader and like to nitpick at things here and there, but not with this book; It met my expectations and so much more. I FLOVED it and didn't want it to end.

With The First Goodbye is the sixth book in the Thirty-Eight series. Although it could be read as a standalone, I would recommend you start from the beginning to get a better background of a
Angela
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a story! This was my first Len Webster book and it will certainly not be my last. With that being said p, again I played Russian Roulette with starting in the middle of a series and won! This for sure can be read as a stand alone, but I recommend reading this before the next installment.

The first Goodbye is a story two people that have found each other when they needed someone the most. This story grabs you from word one. It's an amazing tale of how you can always escape your past, but som
michelle Shelly
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Heartbreakingly beautiful....

For most of the book I was kinda in limbo. One hand I was totally loving it and the next hand kinda confused. For a standalone I feel cheated because I haven't read the other books in the series. Is it a standalone? Yes.... I guess but I got lost several times when other characters were brought up and their stories. There was actually a lot of that and yes I am going to go back and read their stories because I loved everything I've learned about these people. It is a
Eunice Lan
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heart-wrenching, complex, emotional and beautiful love story between two broken people that believe and are looking for true love.

Since he was a little boy Maxwell Sheridan was caring and loving. As he grew up, the only thing he wanted was to love somebody until his very last breath and to this same person to love him bac. He thought he found his true love two times in the past. Not only this women were bad for him but also made him betrayed his best friends. He didn’t want to be someone revenge
Isha Coleman
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
What four letter word is associated with both weakness and strength and can empower as easily as it can destroy? That tricky dichotomy known as LOVE! When it comes to love there is no logic, because love is based on emotion, not state of mind. With the First Goodbye takes a look at both sides of the scenario. Len Webster turns a tragic chain of events into an inspiring tale of hindsight and heartache. Maxwell has experienced love at it's most toxic and is learning what pure love really feels lik ...more
Sara Woolston
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of this series since the beginning so I knew how both beautiful and heartbreaking With The First  Goodbye would be. Max and Josie form a connection from the start. Max is fighting with things that he has done in his past. Josie keeps being disappointed by her father as well as having to be there for her Mom's health battle. Max and Josie become friends and from there become more. The ending is heartbreaking with a cliffhanger. Although With The First Goodbye is apart of The Thi ...more
Brandy Roberts
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow just wow talk about book hangover With the first goodbye it really drew me in while crushing my heart . There was no sleep for me and then once I got to the end it took me an hour to find a restless sleep just WOW . AHHHH the ending THE ENDING that's all you guys are getting I can't say much more just be prepared . definite must copy provided for honest review .
Samantha Potter
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh My Stars!  This was my very first Len Webster book and it was beautiful and emotional perfection.  I’ve been in a reading funk lately and this story just spoke to my soul.  I’m at a serious loss as to how to explain my love of this story and no words I choose will do it justice.  I cannot wait for the next book that cliff hanger, oh man!
Leeann Van Rensburg
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just knew I would love Max's book.
I can't wait for his next book❤❤
Becky Rendon
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought I could do it...I thought I would make it through the whole book without tears but I was wrong. It started when the title finally clicked. With The First Goodbye...

I'm a newbie to this series. I didn't even realize it was book 5. You can still read, enjoy, and love the characters without reading 1-4 but it would strengthen the bonds between characters and yourself.

It starts with a wedding and ends at an engagement party. Seems like everyone around them is happy. Yet, both Josephine and
Chasing Away Reality
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This breaks my heart. I almost never give 2 star reviews let alone 1. But in order for me to be honest with myself and my fellow readers, I must be true to my opinion.

Let me start with what worked. I loved how focused and driven both were in regard to her education and his work. I enjoyed the easy friendship that Max and Josie developed. It was especially nice to witness them find like-minded and equally broken people within each other and provide support they obviously didn't feel they could ge
Alexandra
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 HONEY stars! This is a sweet book that will melt your heart. Be prepared for one of the best friends to lovers romance!

Dear Lord! I still taste the sweetness after reading this book. My soul is over the moon. I do not consider myself as a romantic girl but this book made me reconsider it. Who wants hearts and flowers? Women, they do and men rarely want them. I could be wrong but there are few men who really want a serious relationship. However there are some exceptions.

I shall say that this
Dora Ruiz Davalos Books and Tequila Blog
The First Goodbye is book #5 in the Thirty-Eight Series by Australian author Len Webster. I wished I’d known it was the fifth book in a series, the only thing I knew about the book was the blurb I read, and I was totally thrown off by the number of characters in the story and I really felt so confused trying to keep up with who they were. Honestly, at one point, I was so frustrated that I wondered whether to continue reading. This is definitely not a Standalone. Once I got into the story it all ...more
nicandbooks
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Timing, love and loss

OMG 😧😢 I’m so glad that the sequel to this story is out in a few days because there’s no way I’d survive months no knowing what happens with Josie and Max. This is an absolutely gorgeous love story about two people who it seems have been waiting for each other, until the time was right for them both to perhaps find the love they both desperately crave.

With the First Goodbye is Book 5 in Len Webster’s 38 series and I can say that it definitely can read as a stand-alone. I h
Paula M. C. Basílio
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
With the first Goodbye is the fifth book by Thirty-Eight series by Len Webster, but this is the first book I’ve read from the author and the experience was really positive, for being a standalone book inside a series, the author had the responsibility to situate us, in the begin seems confused, a lot of characters, but as long as you’re reading, the reading develop so well that you have the full idea what she’s talking about.

The story hinges on Maxwell Sheridan, a lawyer who works hard for his s
Cathy
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 5th book in a series but the first one I have read...and while getting to know the other characters could have been nice I didn't feel lost while reading it...also this is not a standalone as it ends on a slight cliffhanger. (So this can be considered book 1 of 2).

Max wants to find true love like all of his friends...but yet he keeps making bad choices and going after people he shouldn't, until he meets Josie. But he doesn't think he deserves it either because of his past choices.

Jo
Cee Cee Houston
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Diving head first into a book that isn’t a standalone and where you haven’t read any of the previous books in the series, is not ideal, as I discovered when I read an ARC of With the First Goodbye by Len Webster. This book in #5 in the series and I have to warn you, there are a lot of characters in here from those previous books. Some many, it was hard to know what was going on to begin with.
Still, for all that, once I got them straight in my head, it was easier to read.
This is Josie and Max’s
Anna K
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
God how much I loved Luke… I mean Max!! Such a beautiful book!

With the Last Goodbye is a slow burn story at its finest. I’ve loved every second of it!

It’s a story that builds up on more than just sexual tension. It’s about a deep emotional connection, about the good and bad decisions made in life and it’s about life and the things you have to deal with every day. And the main characters Max and Josie are just so sweet. Both have a difficult life, made some bad decisions and together they are jus
2OCC Reviews
Shelves: gemma
Len Webster has written an emotional beautiful story that will captivate your attention from the very first page of the story. I love the way that the story is a slow burn type of love between the main characters and the way that the author writes the story in a way that it is enjoyable from start to finish.

I feel a lot for the main female character Josephine who is currently experiencing a hard time with her family, friends and collage.

Max is currently harbouring a lot of guilt for what he did
Treena Ross - Rockstar Book Muse
Recommends it for: Contemporary Romance
4.5 STARS

First off this is my first read from this author and I was impressed. Coming into this 5th book I thought oh-no I am going to be lost. I really wasn't it is ok as a stand alone...however I will be going to Amazon to grab the others just so I can get all the background on the characters.

Max and Josie lovely people, I loved them individually and as a couple. Max has always been looking for true love but did not know how to do that...you know it happens with men sometimes right? well along
Jen
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
With The First Goodbye is an enchanting tale of family, friendships, and love. This story is beautifully written and flows straight from the heart. With The First Goodbye is captivating and charming, yet emotional and heartbreaking. This story will make you feel. You are guaranteed to fall in love with all of the characters who are so raw, so honest, and so authentic. They will steal your heart, as they pull at your heartstrings and leave you begging for more.

With The First Goodbye is timeless
Crystal's Book World ~ Crystal Cordova
Oh My Word! With The First Goodbye, I was hooked and completely taken over by this story. The real world had to be put on hold until I was done reading this book. Max was misunderstood. Judged by a mistake he made one night. He tried to let go of his past, but it always seems to catch up with him. I felt that he had the world on his shoulders and he was just settling on the idea of being alone. Josie enters in his life ( or maybe he enters hers on he bridge ) and suddenly Max is coming to new fe ...more
Lan
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Comme toujours les histoires de Len Webster nous emmènent vers des relations un peu compliquées et semées de malentendus. On peut donc s'attendre à ce que le premier volet de Max et Josie suit cette trame. Les puristes préfèreraient sans aucun doute du nouveau, mais j'apprécie ses histoires qui semblent se ressembler.
Quoiqu'il en soit, j'espère qu'en tout cas le dernier livre de la série se terminera bien.
Petite remarque perso, l'auteure semble aimer le français. Et pour ma part, il est de temps
« previous 1 3 next »
Len Webster is a romance-loving Melburnian with dreams of finding her version of 'The One.' But until that moment happens, she writes. Having just completed her BBusCom from Monash University, Len is now busy writing her next romance about how a boy met a girl, and how they fell completely and hopelessly in love.

Facebook: @lennwebster
Twitter: @lennwebster
Instagram: @lennwebster
Pinterest

Thirty-Eight (7 books)
  • Thirty-Eight Days (Thirty-Eight, #1)
  • Thirty-Eight Reasons (Thirty-Eight, #2)
  • What We'll Leave Behind (Thirty-Eight, #2.5)
  • What You Left Behind (Thirty-Eight, #3)
  • All We Have (Thirty-Eight, #4)
  • With The Last Goodbye (Thirty-Eight, #6)