Start by marking “The Constant Queen (Queens of Conquest #2)” as Want to Read:
The Constant Queen (Queens of Conquest #2)

The Constant Queen (Queens of Conquest #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
'You need not take England without me, Hari, because I will be your constant queen - there with you; there for you.' Elizaveta is princess of Kiev, but that doesn't stop her chasing adventure. Defying conventions, she rides the rapids of the Dneiper alongside her royal brothers and longs to rule in her own right as a queen. Elizaveta meets her match when the fearsome Vikin ...more
Published April 21st 2016 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about The Constant Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Constant Queen

Monique Snyman
Frequent readers must by now be aware of my undying love for all things historical fiction. I adore stories set in World War II and, of course, I also love me some stories set in Britain (those that revolve around court-life is, especially, a weakness). So, when I received an ARC of The Constant Queen by Joanna Courtney from Pan Macmillan SA in December 2015, I dove right in. I finished the book in a few days, and just as I was about to type up my review of this excellent book, lo and behold! I ...more
I knew with the first book in this series on the Norma Conquest queens that I’d hit on something special. Courtney pleases with this book as well. It’s rich with historical details, larger than life personalities, and a relationship so emotional it’ll make your heart burn.

Before delving into this book, Elizaveta of Kiev was just a name on Wikipedia to me. Harald Hardrada was a remote vicious Viking king who I only knew for trying to conquer England at the end of the Viking era. Now, my eyes have
Megan
I wish that this wasn’t going to be a negative review, but I have to admit that I'm disappointed. I really enjoyed the first in the series, and was consequently looking forward to this book - particularly as they were women whom I had not heard of before and knew nothing about. Unfortunately, something was just missing here, and I got about halfway through before I gave up.

There was too much focus on the romance, and not enough information as to the politics and history taking place. Nope, all t
Theresa Smith Writes
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rich in historical detail, yet not overwhelmingly so, this was a wonderful telling of a part of history long forgotten. An interesting love triangle without the 'triangle' so to speak and a cast of characters true to their purpose. There is little to fault with this book, if anything, perhaps it might have skipped time a little less. Even so, it was still well paced and very engaging. I have been searching for some Viking themed historicals and this was indeed a good find!
Jo
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Princess Elizaveta of Kiev craves adventure and excitement and hates the conventions forced on her because of her gender and status. When exiled Viking Harald turns up at court, she finds in him everything she wanted. The story takes us from 11th century Kiev to Constantinople then on to Scandinavia and England. This was a very good piece of historical fiction and I'll be looking for other books in the series.
Lois
This was better than the first book but not by much. The characters actions, thoughts and desires are distractingly modern. This is primarily historical romance. The best part of the novel for me is the historical notes at the end. So much interesting history I'm flabbergasted at this dull story.
Tracey
A very enjoyable historical read. Great character in Elizaveta, who made the book so interesting with her feistiness.
Esmeralda
I’m a huge fan of trilogy’s or series, a sense of pure joy washes over me when I realize that after I’ve started a novel, there are 2 others! Or more..
That counts for this trilogy of the Queens of Conquest as well, the women behind the epic year of 1066 in Englands history.
Although the majority of people shouts “ Harold and William” when this year is mentioned my dear boyfriend says “Stanford Bridge” and than shouts “Harold and William”, wich is partially true.

Stanford Bridge is the battlefield
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
The 11th century is an era that I readily admit to being not very well versed in, despite being a big historical fiction fan. That has changed since I was provided with an opportunity to read Joanna Courtney’s novel, The Constant Queen. Although this novel is the second book in a trilogy of novels based on the lives of three Viking queens, it can easily be enjoyed as a stand alone novel.
The Constant Queen is the story of a strong and adventurous princess, who defies the conventions of her time.
Jo Barton
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Harold Hardrada appears in Kiev, at her father's court, in 1031 Elizaveta is still very young and even though in her early interaction with Hardrada,she shows a maturity beyond her years, there is still enough of the precocious child in her to want to run unbidden through the long corridors of the Kremlin. What the novel then goes on to explain is how the relationship between Elizaveta and Hardrada develops, and also of the initial conflict which occurs between Elizaveta and Hardrada's othe ...more
Bev
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Someone should research how much good reviews are related to a book's delivery on expectations. I know the answer for mine. If a book claims to be "a gripping thriller" and isn't gripping, or is about a book seller making recommendations on a houseboat in France, that turns out to be a nice love story, not much books, there is an automatic "less one star" - like a penalty for late homework.

This book is not like that - the description above is exactly what you get in this powerful, not-often expl
Inkandquill
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
2.5- I enjoyed the book. It's fun and easy to read but the language is extremely repetitive and the historical detail inadequate.

There are too many repetitive love scenes and phrases such as 'riding the rapids' which don't have anything to add to the story.

The situation Elizaveta finds herself in is not the strong queen she seems to think she is. In fact, despite the fact that it was rare to have polygamous marriages in Scandinavian society at the time she is humiliated by her husband publicly
Lisa Marie Gabriel
The Constant Queen is an admirably well-written historical romance with balanced and interesting characters and a sense of drama that makes you want to read on and on. The tempo is set by short and easily manageable chapters - so you can dip into it on a lunch break - but in all honesty once you dip in you won’t want to stop with one or two chapters. It is interesting and extremely well-researched but the history very much takes second place to the characters and the romance element. I won this ...more
Anne Peachey
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
The Constant Queen by Joanna Courtney is a fascinating read about a real life Russian Princess of Kiev who becomes Queen of Norway.
This Historical Fiction is based on fact and is told beautifully of the love between the Princess and her Viking.
The rugged beauty of Russia and Norway is so lifelike you can imagine yourself there.
I learnt so much from reading this book that I didn’t know about the History of Kiev, Russia, Norway and the birth of the capital Oslo.
A riveting read that I enjoy imm
Kiki Hughes
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
It can be hard to read a book when you know how it will end but I thoroughly enjoyed both this book and the first in the series. Cannot wait for the last one. If you have any interest in early medieval history, you need to read this series.
Lisa Bergin
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-loan
Another really good historical novel from Joanna Courtney. I look forward to reading the final book in this trilogy when it comes out.
Clemens Schoonderwoert
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This 2nd volume of the "Queens of the Conquest" trilogy is an absolute wonderful book to read.
Once again this book contains two extensive Family Trees at the beginning of the book, as well as two well-drawn maps of England of AD 1066 and of the Viking Lands and Beyond of c. AD 1066, while at the end you will find very well defined Historical Notes concerning this great story.
All in all in my opinion this book has been very well researched historically and explained in a most masterly fashion, an
Julie
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series from Joanna Courtney, about the three Queens who were involved in the fight for the English crown in 1066. This story is about Princess Elizaveta, born in Kiev who falls in love with a Norwegian Viking.

However she is not the only one seeking handsome Haralds heart, will he marry the Nordic Tora or never return home, continuing to plunder riches from wealthy cities across Europe.

I felt sacked into this historical novel, althou5it did take me a long time to read it.
Charlotte Aitken
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Again a fascinating insight into this period of history. The story with so many layers is building nicely to the last and forthcoming book the Conqueror's Queen. You realise, in reading this, that the English at this time were more closely related to the people of Norway, Sweden and Denmark than to the invading Normans and that this invasion which the next book will look at more closely must have devastating. How different things might have been if Harald Hardrada had won at Stamford bridge!
Rebecca Perkin
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written book. Like the first book in the Queens of Conquest series it stirred many emotions within me and made me fall in love with characters that, under different circumstances, one might not. I find these books extra special as they create an intrigue around a certain time in history and the people that lived then - I can't help but want to know more.

I cannot wait to read the third book in the series.
Becky Cresswell
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
really don't understand the name changes...

4/10.
Laurie Pringle
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved both this and The Chosen Queen. Looking forward to the 3rd book in this series.
livvingitup
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
These novels just keep getting better and better. I'm officially in love with Joanna Courtney. Her writing is entrancing, lyrical and emotional. THE ENDING TO THIS BOOK. I SAW PART OF IT COMING BUT THE OTEHR PART LEFT ME SPEECHLESS...

The characters and the romance were infinitely better in this book than in 'The Chosen Queen'.
Elizaveta, our queen, is problematic at times but has spirt. Edyth from 'The Chosen Queen' is a lot more tamed compared to Elizaveta.
The romance in this book was intense
Anna Hanzalek
Jun 20, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 20, 2017 09:09PM
  • The Girl in the Glass Tower
  • The Autumn Throne (Eleanor of Aquitaine, #3)
  • To Capture What We Cannot Keep
  • Sent to the Devil
  • Cajun Waltz
  • The Queen's Choice
  • The Dutch Girl (Renegades of the American Revolution)
  • The Enemies of Versailles (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy #3)
  • Girl in the Afternoon: A Novel of Paris
  • For The Most Beautiful (Golden Apple Trilogy #1)
  • Three Sisters, Three Queens (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #8)
  • The Price of Blood (The Emma of Normandy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Royal Nanny
  • The Turning Point
  • Ithaca: A Novel of Homer's Odyssey
  • Left in the Wind: A Novel of the Lost Colony: The Roanoke Journal of Emme Merrimoth
  • The Spy of Venice (William Shakespeare Thriller #1)
  • The Darkest Hour
My first literary accolade was a creative writing prize at primary school and from that point on I wanted to be a novelist. I was always reading as a child and often made up stories for my brother and sister on long car journeys. I was also a huge Enid Blyton fan and by ten I was writing my own (doubtless terrible) boarding school novels. Perhaps inevitably, I took my degree in English literature ...more
More about Joanna Courtney

Queens of Conquest (3 books)
  • The Chosen Queen (Queens of Conquest #1)
  • The Conqueror's Queen (Queens of Conquest #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49