Start by marking “Playing with Fire (Glasgow Lads, #3)” as Want to Read:
Playing with Fire (Glasgow Lads, #3)

Playing with Fire (Glasgow Lads #3)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  892 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
“I don’t want options. I just want you.”

Robert McKenzie has a secret. As the only straight player on an all-LGBT soccer team, he’s known to fans as “McWhatAWaste.” No one would guess Robert’s actually bisexual. At twenty-one, on the verge of a brilliant career in video game design, he’s finally ready to be his true self. The only thing keeping him in the closet is…his gay
330 pages
Published January 29th 2016

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
This is the ultimate sexy (oh, so very sexy!) best-friends-to-lovers story!

Liam is an out-and-proud ginger, Robert the only "straight" man on the Glasgow LGBT futball team. The two are inseparable and do everything together: play futbal, go camping, even pose half-naked for a team calendar.

The big secret is that Robert is bi and pining for Liam.

I was a little annoyed with both MCs, Liam for not trusting Robert enough to know his own mind, and Robert for being so fixated on the word "bisexual.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
3.5 to 4 stars. This series makes me so happy that I'm this close to think that I have a soft spot for Scottish footballers (I really don't??? Because footballers??? I mean????). No matter how many times the characters make my annoyance flair up (Liam, I'm looking at you), it remains that we've got A+ writing, vivid settings and stories that just feel so real I can't help but love them, flaws and all.

TW - biantagonism (from one of the MC - his prejudice towards bisexuals are confronted on page
Ele
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I’ll make you want me. I’ll make you beg. I’ll make you make me an exception to your rule, until the rule no longer matters."

This was a winner! The second book is still my favorite, but I still enjoyed this one immensely.

This one is more focused on the relationship and the romance. There is plenty of steam (although the sex scenes seemed a bit repetitive to me), some sports action (that, surprisingly, I enjoyed) and no politics or religious stuff.

And seriously, despite his stubbornness an
R * A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars!!

Truly in the top favorites of the friends-to-lovers trope, this takes the #1 spot for me in this series so far!!

Robert has come to a place in his life where he’s finally ready to admit his attraction to men. Truthfully, it’s really all about one particular man and that’s Liam, his best friend since they were 6 years old. Robert’s all set to take the plunge but is scared that Liam’s personal hangups might prevent their ultimate happiness. However, he’s determined for Liam to be his fir
La Mala ✌
Básico romance MM--- male/male...hombre/hombre, tendré que empezar a llamarle HH? o le dejo el MM - Masculino/Masculino...mejor no, suena a reporte policial. Romance H/H, hay muchos hombres, mucho fútbol, mucha amiga, poca política (la gran diferencia con los libros anteriores) y lo usual en lo usual del romance HH/MM usual.

Es el más flojo de la serie y, así y todo, superior a la mayoría de sus compañeros de género. Para hacer una comparación: Playing with Fire es 5/5 en un mundo MMHHMM lleno d
Ami

I have pondered about this for the past 2 days during the weekend. I had troubles saying that this was a favorite of mine, but there were times when I liked Liam and Robert enough. So I was wondering about whether I should rounded it up or down. After much thinking, I decided that the rounded down rating was the best way. Because I couldn't exactly praise this. I had more issues with the boys than excitement. Which is too bad considering that I love friends-to-lovers theme so much.

The t
Kaje Harper
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book has many of the things I've really enjoyed in this series so far. The local Glasgow flavor and slang are wonderfully appealing. The secondary characters, the interactions both on and off the team, give the main characters a full and varied life outside their relationship. The sports action is vivid, but not overdone (in fact, I wouldn't have minded a bit more in this one.) The thing that made this book 4 rather than 5 stars for me was that the conflict - the obstacle that kept these tw ...more
~Kristin~
4-ish Stars
I stumbled upon this series when the first book was offered as a freebie, and decided to give it to. In this installment, which I got to say I was so excited for...I'm a huge sucker of friends to lovers, especially a GFY scenario, we have our token straight member of the team falling for his best mate. There was so much potential, I think I was a little disappointed in the repeated back and forth and both of the MC's made me want to shake them at some point in the story. I think the r
Lenore
3.5 stars rounded down.

I enjoyed this a lot and I think it successfully explored its themes (bisexuality, childhood friends to lovers). I had some niggles—for instance, the sex scenes, although super hot, have become formulaic and there are some easily discernible patterns in the writing—but I still devoured this in one sitting. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.
Mandapanda
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: various-romance
I've enjoyed all the previous books from this author so don't let this one review put you off her work.

This was the flimsiest excuse for a conflict I've read in a romance novel in ages. And it was dragged out for 330 long and repetitive pages. I would rather have read one of those annoying romantic suspense novels with the dumb heroine who keeps throwing herself into ridiculously dangerous situations just to prove the hero can't tell her what to do, than read this.

Robert is bisexual and all th
Marion
Once again the Glasgow Lads are back! This time it's Robert and Liam - the mighty centre-back defensive duo for the LGBT soccer team The Warriors.

Robert McKenzie, the only straight player on the team, is gorgeous, talented and on his way to a brilliant career in video game design. The one known as McWhatAWaste has a secret. He's actually bisexual. And totally into his gay best friend.

That gay best friend is Liam Carroll. Liam and Rob grew up together in Glasgow's boisterous and occasionally brut
Elsa Bravante
Último libro de los Lads de Avery hasta la fecha. La historia de Liam y Robert, en los anteriores libros los conflictos eran generados por diferencias religiosas, políticas, sociales, aquí será la bisexualidad de uno de los protagonistas y el diferente camino que han tomado en su vida. Como siempre, los temas están tratados con un buen análisis y mucha sensibilidad.
Quizás de todos los libros es el que me ha parecido más completo, te despierta todo tipo de emociones de forma muy intensa: felicida
Shannon Gorilla McGee Winston
4.5 STARS!
Sometimes I wish my imagination was just a little bit better at visualizing things... like, say, John and Fergus' Bachelor Parties. Oh, Liam, Liam, Liam.

KnowwhatImean?

But anyway, I'm off topic here...

This was another fantastic installment to the Glasgow Lads series and one that I was really dying to get to because if there's one type of M/M that gets me... it's Gay For You romances.

I went into this only knowing that it was Liam and Robert's story. I assumed that Robert was going to qui
Nerea
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-sports

This is the story of two best friends, one of them gay (Liam), and the other a closeted bisexual (Robert) that decides to finally make a move on his best friend to be more than friends… BUT Liam already have a very bad experience with bisexuals so is not very receptive at the beginning...

I couldn't put down this book … so tonight I sleep around five hours before going to work…
Why?? Too much angst that I wanted to leave the book in a happy moment between the MCs BUT NEVER was the right moment!

The
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Glasgow Lads series surprised the hell outta me. Mostly because the entire thing is currently available on Kindle Unlimited, and the odds of reading even semi-decent books on KU are extremely low. But even without KU, the individual prices of these books is reasonable, especially for the quality of the content.

Cockburn's writing is fantastic. This isn't just some European football hot guy erotica, it's an actual story with three dimensional characters, believable story arcs, well-paced plot
Arch Bala
‘really enjoyed this one. Rabbie’s just the sweetest amongst the lads <3

Now, I cannot wait to read Evan’s story. ‘tis gonna be a hell of a redemption arc for him…hhmm.

Thank you to my dear friend Riina for recommending this series! I’m totally in love with the boys! <3
MaDoReader
Dec 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
Igual 3,5, no lo sé, tengo que reposarlo.

Y me ha gustado, pero sintiéndolo mucho, nada comparable al libro de Andrew y Colin, para mi, el mejor de los 3.

Como los demás de la serie éste está muy bien construido, un genial retrato de la ciudad y la sociedad de de Glasgow, que se nota que Cockburn conoce muy bien, y que con cada una de las entregas vamos entendiendo mejor, me ha gustado mucho la nota del autor al final de libro dónde nos cuenta cómo con Playing with Fire cierra una etapa.

El eje cen
Heather
It's no secret that I love a good series. Glasgow Lads is one of my favorites. The series is well written and character driven. The characters are complex and each has a unique voice.

I was surprised by the amount of emotion and angst in Robert and Liam's book. At times, I had to take a reading break. I needed one of Liam's famous massages.

It was great to see all the familiar characters and catch up with my favorite couples. I will be eagerly awaiting the next book.

*ARC provided by the author f
Sheri
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
What happens when you fall in love with your alter ego? A hot mess is what happens. If you thought the first two books held great consequences, hold onto your butts because Liam & Robert are about to blow us off the pitch.

I was completely gaga over the first two books, so it’s not surprising that my infatuation continues but it’s subdued this round.
I think the reason my frenzy of excitement lost its gusto is because Avery did such a superb job demonstrating their waffling, that I too found m
namericanwordcat
There is so much achey goodness in this book.

A rich friends to lovers romance that contends with biphobia, making a life together, and hope.

All the conflicts hurt a little because they are true and real.

While I am not always thrilled with Liam's thoughts or action, he grows and risks a lot and his romantic gestures are the bomb.

Robert is wonderful and how he decided to make things work real seals the loveliness of this story.

A great cast, a great setting, and great writing!
Bev
Really liked this one with Robert and Liam front and centre. I could've kicked Liam's arse for him several times, especially with his aversion to all things bi-sexual but that would have meant he wouldn't have stood any sort of chance with Robert...and they've been besties for 15 years.

We had a wedding (woot!!), some 'designer' kilts (hehe) and the next story comes out over the summer featuring Ben, the wedding planner and Robert's guide to all things Grindr related and that social pariah Evan,
Pjm12
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's interesting to read reviews of people who don't like Robert's actions, then to read that others found Liam to be the more irritating one.

Both boys behave badly. Both are contradictory, and mulish. Their pouting can be seen from the top of a tall Glaswegian hill (Tor? Mountain? something).

And yes it's drawn out, and they cover the same ground repeatedly, and all the while, their love for each other burns brightly. Sigh.

Robert's brilliant plan at the end, is not far from reality. I have hear
Janeylou
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
⚣❣☙ Cocky™ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4.3 Stars

...and in this one we tackle the Glasgow Effect and Bisexuality.
dammit, liz
This was a really sweet story. I'm not typically a fan of books about sports that I'm not into, but this worked for me. I loved the characters, the writing, the humor, and most of all the way the author approached the topic of bisexuality. This is something that's so often ignored. Something I've always found especially hurtful is encountering hatefulness and judgement from gay and lesbian people.. The very folks you expect to have your back. The way the author dealt with this issue was perfect- ...more
Lindsay M.
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I mean, what can I say that hasn't already been said? This series rocked. I want so much more of it. I love every single one of these boys, and I loved getting to know them. I was so, so, so excited to read Robert and Liam's story, and it was truly everything I wanted it to be.

Avery Cockburn is a solid writer, one of the best I've had the privilege to read. I'll revisit Glasgow many times in the future.
Ari
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
I KNEW IT!!!

Nice wraps up for the lads, even Evan :))
Cant wait for their short story
Cant wait for another series from this author

Eva
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.75 but only because Robert is love (Team Robert figthing!!!!!) and I want to read more about this guys. I love all of them but Liam, seriously??? you're an arsehole XD
Zee♥
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy revisiting the Glasgow Lads. Liam and Robert's story was good and I enjoyed the camaraderie with their teammates and friends. Robert was likable but Liam was so cynical and inconsistent with his decisions that I almost wanted Robert to date someone else at one point. It took them too long to get over themselves. As with the other books in the series, the city of Glasgow is a large and fascinating part of the story.
  • Tigers on the Run (Tigers and Devils, #3)
  • Sunset Park (Five Boroughs, #2)
  • Spencer Cohen, Book Three (Spencer Cohen, #3)
  • Beyond the Sea
  • Kieran & Drew
  • Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Bend or Break, #6-7)
  • Dirty Deeds (Cole McGinnis, #4)
  • Fierce & Fabulous (Sassy Boyz, #1)
  • Out of Nowhere (Middle of Somewhere, #2)
  • The Shearing Gun
  • Why the Star Stands Still (Gives Light, #4)
  • Status Update (#gaymers, #1)
  • Third Solstice (Tyack & Frayne, #6)
  • Aquamarine
  • Man of the Match
  • Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)
  • My Prince
  • Out in the Deep End
Hiya, I’m Avery Cockburn (rhymes with Savory Slow Churn). My days are filled with beautiful men who play beautiful games in the most beautiful place in the world. Being an author is pretty much the best job ever.

I live in the United States with one infinitely patient man and two infinitely impatient cats. Readers make my day, so email me at avery@averycockburn.com, or sign up for my readers group
More about Avery Cockburn

Glasgow Lads (4 books)
  • Playing for Keeps (Glasgow Lads, #1)
  • Playing to Win (Glasgow Lads, #2)
  • Playing in the Dark (Glasgow Lads, #4)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 3)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“LIAM HATED SILENCE. Once, when he was eleven, a case of laryngitis left him speechless for a week. Feeling like his soul had been ripped out, he’d asked his mother for one of those Stephen Hawking machines with a robot voice to replace his own. How cool that would’ve been. Even” 1 likes
“A gift?” Illusive pressed a palm to his chest in a mock swoon. “You realize that according to Grindr terms of service, this means we’re married.” “In” 1 likes