Start by marking “In Darkness Burning” as Want to Read:

Dear Author,
[Photo 1]
What is my story?
[Photo 2]
“You cry, not because you’re weak. It’s because you’ve been strong for too long.”

Photo Description:
Photo 1: A young man, with striking light eyes, is dressed in ceremonial garb. Is he a magic user? He has seen something terrible. There is a heaviness to his gaze.
Photo 2: A second picture below of a man without any armor or
Published November 21st 2015 by MMRomanceGroup.com (first published November 1st 2015)

Start your review of In Darkness Burning
Juxian
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-like
I read the first 20% moderately enjoying it. It wasn't great but many fantasy books start slowly, so I was ready to be patient. Then, when it was supposed to get better, instead it started falling apart. Or maybe I just stopped feeling charitable. I couldn't feel any inner logic in what the characters did. It just seemed they were doing things because the author had a plan for them; and they were doing annoyingly stupid things because, oh well, it wasn't the best thought-out plan. Quite a predic ...more
Alexis Woods
Wow. This story was amazing, simply breathtaking. I was practically glued to my ereader, loathe to put it down, anxious to continue the tale of Emen and Tarl and Vedek. The worldbuilding was fantastic, a superb combination of fantasy and magic and paranormal. Plus what an amazing storyline! Thank you so much for your contribution to this year's event.
ReadingAllNite
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Wow, I'm blown away! I haven't read fantasy in years and years. I've been reading all M/M for more than a year. And I read Bailey Queen's other M/M books and loved them. So when she told me this was coming out, I had to read it. I am so very glad I did. This was true Epic Fantasy with a M/M twist. There was a romance but it was a thread of the story, not the main focus. It was completely necessary to the plot, though. Only one love scene, very well written, late in the book and also important to ...more
Kira
Nov 30, 2015 marked it as on-hold-for-a-rainy-day
Shelves: lor-event
Putting it on hold for now. It was great as a fantasy, maybe the best fantasy of the whole event for this year. And I loved it, even if it's hard to read about so many injustices that befallen the characters at once.
But then, around the 20% mark two of the main characters finally meet, and suddenly it's the worst case of head hopping I've seen in a while. One paragraph would be from one guy's POV, the next two - from the other's and so on. They never introduce themselves but somehow are already
Kevin
Nov 24, 2015 added it
I read then skimmed to 25% but simply could not get into the story.
DC
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Eh! I liked it, but not to any great degree. I found this to be a bit too drawn out and rather dark. The romance between Emen and Vedek, while central to the story, was so slow and low heat, it was barely there. And the big villain? Not really a surprise, although the demon’s identity was an interesting twist. The ending, however; hated it. The whole palace scene was making my head hurt. It was going on and on and on and the points-of-view kept jumping around. The epilogue left me feeling empty ...more
Cleo
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cover drew my eye and the fantastic story did not disappoint. I loved the fantasy world building and the the slow anticipated build up to the end. I can't wait to check out more of this author's work.
Aleixie
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
SPOILERS AHEAD

I've been mislead. And so I'm not happy about it. Like, what the fuck is up with Tarl? What kind of ending was that? He's my fave character and he stopped developing somewhere halfway through the book when Valak and Emen's dull romance plot took over.

The book was repetitive. If not in the romantic aspect (their love proclamations got really annoying after the sixth time of the same thing), then for the plot.

And let me tell you, Shane? Yea, saw that from a fucking mile off. And by
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Is An Open Road event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

Shaun
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-m-m
Loved it! A great mix of magic, fantasy, romance, and adventure, with a unique take on medieval criminal investigation techniques. Can't wait to see what happens in the next book! Please let there be a next book!
Jen
Wow, for a free read, this was very complex and long. I'm glad that I picked it up because I wouldn't normally grab a "Dear Author" story. This one has made me re-think that. I'm off to find more titles by this author.
Jenn (not Lily)
Aug 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Good story, but be prepared for a LONG read! Much more of a fantasy adventure than a romance, with excellent world building here.
Jill Duff
cmbookdiva
rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
MJ
rated it did not like it
Feb 19, 2016
Harshini
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just re read this, loved it just as much the second time
Diane
Feb 25, 2018
Hannah
Apr 29, 2017

• Whole Again
  • End Street Vol. 1 (End Street Detective Agency, #1-2)
  • Do You Believe in Fairies?
  • Human Frailties, Human Strengths (Guardians of the Leythe, #1)
  • The Wanderer (The Sin Bin, #1)
  • The Botanist (The Sin Bin, #3)
  • The Caretaker (The Sin Bin, #2)
  • The Royal Marine (The Sin Bin, #4)
  • The Unexpected Santa (The Sin Bin, #5)
  • The Lion Tamer (The Sin Bin, #6)
  • Haka Ever After (The Sin Bin, #7)
  • Heart Unseen (Hearts Entwined, #1)
  • Human Choices (Guardians of the Leythe, #2)
  • Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
  • Deefur Dog (Deefur, #1)
  • A Surprise Valentine