Start by marking “A Bead in the Hand (Glass Bead Mystery Series Book 2)” as Want to Read:
A Bead in the Hand (Glass Bead Mystery Series Book 2)

A Bead in the Hand

(Glass Bead Mystery #2)

A bead bazaar turns bizarre when jewelry designer and glass beadmaker Jax O’Connell discovers a body beneath her sales table. Everyone assumes the death of famous bead artist Saundra Jameson is an accident—until homicide detective Tiffany Houston arrives, ready to drag Jax off to jail as her top suspect. Jax and her friend Tessa must scramble to find the killer among the f ...more
Published November 24th 2015 by Booktrope Editions

To ask other readers questions about A Bead in the Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bead in the Hand

The Cat Who Came for Christmas by Cleveland AmoryA Bead in the Hand by Janice PeacockMurder, She Barked by Krista DavisHigh Strung by Janice PeacockThe Cat Who Smelled a Rat by Lilian Jackson Braun
Mystery Cats
6 books — 3 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieHard Eight by Janet EvanovichThe Quiche of Death by M.C. BeatonDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. Austin
Cozy Crimes
446 books — 245 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first book in this series, HIGH STRUNG, A BEAD IN THE HAND was a fun, entertaining page turner!

Really upping her game from the first installment of the Glass Bead mysteries, author Janice Peacock topped herself when I wouldn’t have thought it possible for her to do so.

It was great to spend more time with Jax, Tess, and the rest of the great characters in this series. I so much enjoyed the wit and intelligence in the way they are written.

With even more mystery, fun, and dram
Teresa Kander
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This is the second book in the Glass Bead series, and it is just as enjoyable as the first. It is an easy read, full of drama and humor. As with the first book, there is educational information about bead making, which is a fascinating process.

Once again, Jax is caught up in a murder investigation--and is the prime suspect. With the help of her friends, and some new people we hadn't met in the first book, she follows clues and solves the mystery. She also gets herself into some difficult situati
LORI CASWELL
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Jax and Tessa are off for a weekend of fun. They are excited to be attend a bead filled bazaar in Portland. Jax plans to sell, sell, sell, and Tessa plans to buy, buy, buy. Just after the event starts the room in plunged into darkness and the first night is cancelled. Hoping things are a go the next day Jax hurries to get her booth ready but instead she finds a very famous beader under her table and she has been there a while. Jax’s screams for help are answered by a hunky sec
RO G'ma
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in Janice Peacock’s Glass Bead Mystery series. This book is well written and the characters are well developed and relatable. Ms. Peacock provided sufficient background information for the characters that it can be read as a stand-alone. I found this book to be an easy read that had me laughing at times. I was caught up in the mystery and the reveal was a complete surprise. As with the first book, the bead descriptions were vivid and I felt like I could actually see and f ...more
MaryAnn
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the second in this series, A Bead In The Hand. Although this is the second book, it can certainly be read as a stand alone or out of order. There were some small mentions of people or things from the first book, but in no way would a new reader feel left out or wondering what had happened.

There were several characters that returned from the first book, which I always like because it gives that continuity throughout the series. I knew nothing about bead making when I read the first book
Paula Ratcliffe
Laura Reading
Jax O’Connell is looking forward to profitable sales and time spent with friends at the big bead bazaar.
It is close quarters as she sets up her booth next to the well known Saundra Jameson, who is also touting her newest bead design book. Sparks fly and the lights go out - permanently for Saundra.

I am partial to crafty cozies. I like looking behind the scenes and gathering new techniques and ideas.
Jax and friends Tessa and Val must gather clues as to who wanted to cut the competition before this
Karen
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, I listened to this on audiobook. I don't know why that edition is not listed on Goodreads.

I did a lot of beading many years ago, so I was interested in reading this series.

I attended Janice's session at Left Coast Crime in Reno recently.

Since my library system does not have her books, I have been buying them.

Even though I have not yet read book one, which I have in ebook only, I was able to listen to book two without any problems. It did not seem to spoil what happened in book one.

Jax
Monica
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Battle of the Beaders

As a handmade jewelry designer who has attended many bead shows, I loved this 2nd installment in the series. It's so much fun to read about other bead ladies. Lol. Also, the charming friendships between Gumdrop, Tessa, Jax and Val make me laugh out loud and wish I had some fun friends like that. A murder mystery at a bead bazaar is an original idea and I'm looking forward to book 3.
Pamela
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glass Bead Series

This is a funny and different type of cozy series than I usually read. It's very chatty and a little slow to unfold but it's funny and real. The characters are like people I have known since I once did art shows. Every show is murder to do and Jax had 2 actual murders to solve. This is an enjoyable series. Ms Peacock is a talented writer and artist.
Theresa
Cozy fun at the Bead Bazaar

The epitome of a cozy craft mystery. This second entry in the series has the cast of human - and one non-human - characters off at a retail bead show. Author's familiarity with the venue and stereotypes provide verisimilitude to a plot whose resolution is obvious from the moment the body is discovered.
Marisa Young
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A glass bead maker travels to a bead sale in Portland. A famous bead artist with a booth next to hers is murdered and she discovers the body. Being the prime suspect has her investigating the other vendors and their possible motives for killing.

Nice cozy.
MELVIN BROWN
Not exactly on the edge of my seat

I started this when on Holiday. It has taken me ages to finish because its not one of those books that make you want to keep picking it up every spare minute. It was OK and easy reading but that's it.
Ella Portera
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous who done it! Keeps you guessing the whole book long. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Ann Wilbert
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the series was good, but I liked this one even better! It was a fun read, a page turner, and I finished it in just a couple of days. I love how the characters in these stories are mostly glass bead makers like me!
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Booktrope for providing me with a free ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an open and honest review.

Seriously my kind of American cosy crime. Loved it. Though am giving Ms Peacock the squinty eye for possibly getting me addicted to lampwork beads. Yes I already had a bit of a crystal, bead and necklace habit… but I now do feel I’ve found a new form of wearable art to fall in love with and it’s her fault. ;-)

But back to the story! If you haven’t guessed, it is in
Kristina
May 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, cozy-mysteries
A Bead in the Hand by Janice Peacock is the second book in Glass Bead Mystery series. Jacqueline “Jax” O’Connell is a glass bead maker and jewelry designer. Jax and her friend Tessa are heading from Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon for the Portland Bead Fun show. Jax will be selling her wares and Tessa will be buying stock for her shop. The first day of the show is a big hit. Jax would be thrilled except Saundra Jameson (diva) and Wendy Wilson. Wendy has the table behind Jax and uses a sc ...more
LuAnn
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
You'd think that moving from Florida to the Pacific NorthWest would be relaxing (well, ok, except for the cold). When I think of Florida, I think of cities, Disney, huge crowds and the Caribbean Ocean. When I think of Washington and Oregon, I think tall pine trees and the Space Needle. (And y'all, I KNOW there's more to those wonderful states than that!) But Jax's life has sure spiced up since moving north.

In the first of the "Glass Bead Mysteries", High Strung, Jax finds the body of a local bea
DelAnne Frazee
ASIN: B01721C2XQ
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 5 Stars

Jax O'Connell is back in this second offering By Janice Peacock and she s=delivers another delightful read. Jax is off to her first Bead Bazaar at which she discove
Kathy
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
A Bead in the Hand is the second book in the Glass Bead mystery series. I enjoyed the first book in the series, High Strung, and I enjoyed A Bead in the Hand as well.

Jax, our main character, is once again embroiled in a murder mystery. There are many familiar characters from the first book. I think I enjoyed this one a little better than the first. I am very glad to have a series centered around glass beads. It will help people understand how much work and artistry goes into the making of glass
Mave
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It 's a compelling mystery, funny and full of humor with a fast pace and amazing characters.
Jax has a passion for making glass beads and lives with her cat Gumdrop. She goes to Portland to participate in her first Bazaar Bread. She knows some nice glass bead sellers but one of them is killed. Jax and the other sellers are the main suspects, and along with her trusted friends she will try to solve the mystery.
It's the second book in the series, but can be read as a stand alone, I have had no trou
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies-mysteries
This is the second in a series. It can be read as a stand alone, as I had not read the first book, and I didn't seem to be missing anything, plot-wise.

I really enjoyed this book. I love Seattle and Oregon, so the setting appealed as well as the subject. I consider myself a crafty person, but I knew nothing about glass beads, other than they sell them in the craft store and make really pretty stitch markers for knitting, haha. I like that Jax talks about making them without going in to too much
Terri Crossley
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series!

This is the second book in the glass bead series and I really enjoyed this book! Jax is heading to a bead bazaar to hopefully sell a bunch of beads! With so many creative people in one room the competition is tough. Jax has the table next to Saundra who has made quite the name for herself in the bead world! When Saundra gets killed Jax is the number one suspect since she was the closest one too her when the lights went out and when she was killed! When Jax starts to dig into S
Lisa Morin
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Jax O’Connell is at it again in this second installment of the Glass Bead Mystery series.
While trying to sell her handmade beads at a bead bazaar, Jax finds the body of another artist and it appears the death was not accidental. As Jax investigates the circumstances surrounding the murder, she uncovers lies that points suspicion to a few of her local bead friends. Will her investigation reveal the true murderer or put Jax in harms way once again.

This is a great series and I look forward to readi
JoAn
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, cozy-mystery
A Bead in the Hand by Janice Peacock is the second book in her Glass Bead cozy mystery series and was equally as good as the first book.

The plot is fast and smoothly paced. I do enjoy spending time with Jax because she's down-to-earth, funny and often insecure about herself (which makes her more relatable to me). I also adore both Tessa and Val who add so much to each story. The twists in the story kept me guessing as to who was the murderer until the reveal. A very enjoyable read and I look for
NicoleG
Although I had not read the previous book in the series, I really enjoyed this installment. The author did a fabulous job of describing the characters and the setting was fun and interesting. I did not feel like I was "late to the party" since I did not read the 1st book. I applaud the author for making me feel involved in the story from the beginning and I was intrigued to the very end!
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. This book will keep you reading long into the night. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I am looking forward to reading the next book by this great author. A Review copy was provided to me in exchange for a fair and honest review. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Charmaine Regino
The second in series is a must read.

The author great flow of characters, descriptions and plot makes for a cheerful, fun and interesting story. Loved the take on artistic integrity and building of artistic voices. The mystery kept me guessing throughout. Looking forward to the next book in the series. Definitely recommend reading both books.
Lynne
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun series. Jax is quite a character. The plot was interesting. It takes place at a bead convention. You learn a little about making glass beads in-between figuring out who the murderer is. Great series!

I received this from a Goodreads Giveaway.
Aurore Boréale
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I like how the characters are developing. I hope there are many more books in this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bewitching Boots (A Renaissance Faire Mystery #7)
  • Threads of Evidence (Mainely Needlepoint, #2)
  • Thread End (An Embroidery Mystery, #7)
  • Forget Me Knot (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • Murder On The Menu (A Recipe For Disaster Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in the Arboretum (Cold Creek #2)
  • Knock on Wood (Superstition Mystery, #2)
  • A Geek Girl's Guide to Arsenic (Geek Girl Mysteries #2)
  • Let Loose: Dusty Deals Mystery Series: Book 4
  • A Pain in the Tuchis (A Mrs. Kaplan Mystery #2)
  • Lipstick, Lies & Dead Guys (Gianna Mancini Mysteries #1)
  • Olive and Let Die (Greek to Me Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Yarned and Dangerous (Tangled Web Mystery, #1)
  • The Treacherous Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #5)
  • The Silence of the Chihuahuas (Barking Detective, #5)
  • Mayhem in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #2)
  • Shards of Murder (A Webb's Glass Shop Mystery, #2)
Janice Peacock decided to write her first mystery novel after working in a glass studio full of colorful artists who didn’t always get along. They reminded her of the odd, and often humorous, characters in the murder mystery books she loved to read. Inspired by that experience, she combined her two passions and wrote High Strung: A Glass Bead Mystery, launching a new cozy mystery series featuring ...more

Glass Bead Mystery (4 books)
  • High Strung (Glass Bead Mystery, #1)
  • Off the Beadin' Path (Glass Bead Mystery, #3)
  • To Bead or Not to Bead (Glass Bead Mystery Series Book 4)