Start by marking “Muse (Tales of Silver Downs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Muse (Tales of Silver Downs, #1)

Muse

(Tales of Silver Downs #1)

He’s the seventh son of a seventh son. She's the daughter of a wise woman. They're both trying to avoid their fates.

Diarmuid is not a typical bard. His tales aren't about hope and heroism, but instead they reflect the darkness he feels inside. When he inadvertently brings his imaginary muse to life, everything she knows comes from Diarmuid’s melancholic tales. Desiring her
Published December 1st 2015 by Kylie Quillinan

To ask other readers questions about Muse, please sign up.
Kylie Personally I wouldn't categorise it as YA although I have seen it described as such due to the ages of the main characters. It contains some adult sce…morePersonally I wouldn't categorise it as YA although I have seen it described as such due to the ages of the main characters. It contains some adult scenes and would not suit a reader who is looking for mild or sweet YA. Hope that helps.(less)

Start your review of Muse (Tales of Silver Downs, #1)
E.P.
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
In "Muse," the seventh son of a seventh son discovers his ability to make his stories come true just a little too late, when the malevolent muse he has created in his head steps out of his head and into real life, where she soon begins wreaking havoc. Meanwhile, a young woman destined to be a healer wishes to be destined for something a little more exciting--until her wish comes true.

"Muse" has a lot of fun fairy tale elements that readers of fantasy are sure to recognize. It's set in a vaguely
Becky
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book for free with a request to post a review.

The story began really slow with a hero who was not particularly likable. After several chapters the story finally picked up and I began to enjoy the plot. My problem is the hero never learned, never attempted to change never even solved the problem on his own, but completely relied on others. I don't need a happy ending but I want to see something develop with the character during the tale.
Chris Johnson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Muse' is one of the best independently published books I have read this year. Even better, the author lives in my hometown. It's good to see such a brilliant work originate here that can compete easily against works from other countries.

Some might think of Muse as a YA type book, simply because of its main characters. But I feel it's more than that. I see it more as a rite-of-passage and coming-of-age.

The seventh son of the seventh son, Diarmuid is a bard. But his stories aren't the usual types
Alicia Huxtable
Good story

Good story, enjoyable read and we something different to read. Engaging characters who really took on the story as their own
Amanda
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2018
This was pretty good. It was just so long and drawn out. It is interesting and the characters are likable. My favourite was oswain I think. Lovable death dealer.
Nicole Lee
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
// I received a free copy of this book through LibraryThing's Members Giveaway program. //

In the next few moments, it is my job to convince you to spend your hard earned money and spare time purchasing and reading this book. So, I will simply say that Muse is a well written, adventure fantasy with likable characters and a captivating plot.

Need more prodding? Okay.

Quillinan's attention to detail is commendable, especially when it comes to the characters' names. Google Fiachra after you've finishe
Naticia
This book had so much potential - the story, the setting, the characters, everything was set up to be amazing. I felt that it just needed one more read by an editor to really be fantastic.

It's well-written and though a little slow to start, does pick up the pace later. However, there's a lot of repetition - sometimes with slight differences, which is confusing - and a focus on details that I think could be skipped entirely (I appreciate that the characters have to pee in chamber pots, but there
Katter
Sep 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story started out strong. I liked the premise because it was new and fresh to me. The characters weren't bad either even though I didn't care too much for all the PoV hopping. It was a bit confusing at the start because you don't know anything about the characters. I would like to say that the character progression gets better but it doesn't.

The personalities of all the characters are shallow and underdeveloped. They started out interesting and then they just got on my nerves. First off, th
Pippa P.
Mar 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An folk-tale type fantasy based in Irish/Celtic mythology by an Australian author is not what I would have guessed from the title, but it worked and made for a very enjoyable read.

The story tells of Diarmuid, the youngest son of a local landowner, who also happens to be the seventh son of a seventh son. It becomes apparent that despite his connection to the land through the family business, Diarmuid is more interested in being a bard, a teller of tales, and his greatest wish is to create stories
Morgan
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Well the story idea itself wasn't bad....

Mostly I really hated the main character. Throughout the entire book he doesn't see what's right in front of his face until another character in the story points it out for him, and even then he's full of denial and disbelief. He also always acts like the victim no matter what happens. He meets people, makes assumptions about who they are, then he acts like they betrayed him by being different than he had assumed.
I even yelled at him out loud while I was
Jason
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent read, could use more character development

I wish I could give it 3.5 stars, because I'm not sure it's a 4 star but definitely better than three stars. At times the pacing is odd, it plods along for the first three quarters and then the ending comes suddenly. I know there are follow up books and there is something to be said for lead ins to sequels but I feel there was far too much glossed over.

There was very little development in the two main characters. The author is definitely capable
Louise Sansom
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Started off very interesting, I enjoyed the story alot even if the exciting moments seemed a tad rushed while the more mundane events got a lot of pages dedicated to them. My main problem was the main character who I couldn't bring myself to like as he spent a lot of time feeling sorry for himself and the romance made no sense since the girl frequently treats him like an annoyance. Even when told from her POV she states she just wants him to shut up so I can't understand why she would suddenly f ...more
Dawn
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up a free copy of this book from InstaFreebie.

I really enjoyed reading "Muse". Aside from the elements you'd expect from a fantasy novel, there is an all-encompassing warmth to this story that welcomes you into the book from the first page.
The characters are an interesting bunch... sure to stick in the memory for quite a while!
There's a few typos (mostly "breath" when it should be "breathe") but they are minimal and don't distract too much.
Liza
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Diarmuid was born the 7th son of the 7th son - which not only meant that he was destined to be a Bard but in some circumstances his stories can come true. The Muse, Ida, that he created in his mind becomes real and starts compelling people to commit a variety of crimes including murder.

He sets out to stop her and joins with some interesting characters along the way.

The Fae are interfering in the lives of the humans.
tessbehuniak
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Believable. Must Read

Well written. The author takes you on an amazing journey into the possible or impossible? I was on the journey with the characters. Feeling it. Can't get much better when your in the story. Series but this book can read on it's own. Will enjoy reading the next one. "The Fey". Great job Kylie Quillinan.
Lindberg
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine tale of pesonal growth and power.

Kylie has the mastery of the Bard skills. His tale leads us to look at our lives, and how well we follow the path that has been presented to us. I can only hope I have done as well as his characters have.
Jeanne  Ulasz
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting

The author has a gift for weaving a tale. Full of adventure and romance and fantasy, this is an engrossing story that takes you for a wonderful ride. Can't wait to read the next.
Lorraine
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept me entertained

I like free books very much, especially unusual ones, with a different tale to tell, and this certainly fulfilled that criteria. Very enjoyable, loved the historical text, thank you.
Sean
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Received a copy from Instafreebie for review.

It sounded quite good on the blurb and I managed to get 32% through, burt when one of the characters changed - that did it for me I could no longer get onto it and I had to give up.

Not for me.
Nancy barrett
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - the characters are well developed and the story being told through each ones perspective was a nice break from the norm. The book starts out a little slow but pace picks up after a few chapters. Looking forward to reading the next two books.
Tilus
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost in Thought

I have given Muse a 3 rating because of the length of time the storyline took to grab my attention. The book was entertaining but too long. The storyline seemed at times, "Lost in Thought".
Lisa
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read

This book was very well written. It is full of magic, adventure, friendship, fairies, monsters, and a dragon. It just doesn't get better than this. I highly recommend this book. And I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
Adelaide Siegl
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story of a challenging quest where nothing is as it first appears.

A changing story that brings out the he reality is that words can hurt in unexpected ways even if you do not know that is so.
Rebecca
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 star

Ending leaves a bit more open than I'd like... A little hook-y... But primary quest resolved. Writing good except for use of I instead of me. MC initially very difficult to connect with, so was tempted to give up. It improved. 3.5 star
Chris
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muse

The story started kind of slow but eventually I was hooked and had to see the end. It stands alone as a story, not a big hook at the end forcing you to buy the next in the series.
Brian Rhodes
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i really enjoyed the celtic references and the story romped along, i wanted to read more simply to find out what happens next, all in all a good story, a good yarn, with for me anyway enough dealings with the spiritual and the supernatural to keep me hooked.
Melissa Montana
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the medieval feel to this story. The characters and worldbuilding are great, and the ending was a surprise to me. The pacing was a little slow for my taste, but it was a good book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves fantasy.
Phil Matthews
Not very good

I am glad that this was free. Starts out okay but then goes downhill. Dismal, boring characters. Really drags out towards the end. Will not be reading further.
Sascz Herrmann
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than I hoped

Aside from a few grammatical errors, this book was a joy to read. The tale was fresh and new and not predictable. Hoping to read more.
Julie E. Swanberg
Bards, adventure and fey

A good fantasy with a clever plot. The characters were well-developed. I also enjoyed the shorter chapters each focusing on a different character.

• Half-Blood Dragon (Dragon Born Trilogy #1)
  • Dance: Cinderella Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #2)
  • Cobweb Bride (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #1)
  • Champions of the Dragon (Epic Fallacy, #1)
  • Nora & Kettle (Paper Stars, #1)
  • Fakers (Canaan Island, #1)
  • Her Majesty's Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #2)
  • Seventh Mark (Hidden Secrets, #1)
  • Beyond The Grave (The Ministry of Curiosities #3)
  • Miss Mabel's School for Girls (The Network Series, #1)
  • The Palace of Lost Memories (After the Rift #1)
  • Unmasking Miss Appleby (Baleful Godmother, #1)
  • The Scarlet Thread (Fated Destruction, #1)
  • The Last Descendant (Sanyare Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Necromancer (The Ministry of Curiosities, #1)
  • Ghost Heart
  • To Jilt a Corinthian (Friendship. #12)
  • Unveiling Love (A London Regency Romance Suspense Tale, #1-4)
Kylie writes about women who defy society’s expectations. Her novels are for readers who like fantasy with a basis in history or mythology. Her interests include Dr Who, jellyfish and cocktails. She needs to get fit before the zombies come. You can find her online at kyliequillinan.com.

SWAN – the epilogue to the Tales of Silver Downs series – is available exclusively to her mailing list subscriber

Tales of Silver Downs (5 books)
  • Fey (Tales of Silver Downs, #2)
  • Druid (Tales of Silver Downs, #3)
  • Swan (Tales of Silver Downs, #4)
  • Tales of Silver Downs: Books 1 - 3