Start by marking “At the Brink (At the Brink #1)” as Want to Read:
At the Brink (At the Brink #1)

At the Brink

(At the Brink #1)

A Story of Sexual Obsession

Lily:

I should never have agreed to it.

A woman will do a lot to keep her husband happy. But when my husband sells me to the highest bidder—billionaire, former navy SEAL, pride of Boston's business scene—I agree, not to keep him happy, but because it gives me the chance to finally escape. Escape my marriage, escape my debts, escape my life…

Josh Lan
ebook
Published May 2nd 2016 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about At the Brink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At the Brink

Deborah
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

This book has been sitting on my to-read list for awhile and I'm so glad I finally got round to reading it.

I had an idea what to expect from the blurb (a hot sexy read) but this actually turned out to be so much more than I'd expected.

Lily Boswell is a lovely woman both inside and out why she's married to such an unpleasant man as Martin is a complete mystery. A mystery that gets explained as the book progresses but Lily deserves so much more especially considering they're out of money and out o
Vasiliki
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc

ARC kindly provided by Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This is the story of Lily and Josh and it's a really beautiful one!

When I read a book that touches me deep in my heart, I really don't know how to write a review and to do it justice! This book is one of them! The writing was amazing! Ms. del Mar is so talented! There was not a line or even a word that was misplaced or unnecessary in this story! The plot moved flawlessly with a couple of twists! The ch
*TANYA*
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aghhhhhh!!!! This freaking book!!! I sooo hated/loved it!!!! Their "love" story is amazing. Josh is super adorable, controlling, moody. Lily is shy and "brave". Together they were fantastic. The moments they spend together outside the sheets are very endearing. I ONLY WISH THIS BOOK WAS NOT SO SMUTTY SO I could have absolutely loved it. The author kept throwing me off because of how poetic and sweet the book was at times and then BAM!!! Crass and smut. This book made Fifty Shades of Grey seem PG ...more
Carlene Inspired
ARC provided by Carina Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Read as part of Shh...TopPicks May 8: Heroes with Illness/Disabilities/Injuries/Addiction
Goodreads Blurb: A Story of Sexual Obsession
Lily:
I should never have agreed to it.
Sissy's Romance Book Review
I received an eARC, from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
'At The Brink' by Anna del Mar is a really hot, emotional book that I could not put down. This is the first book I have read of Anna del Mar and now I am dying to try to get more!!
Josh Lane is a ex-Navy Seal that is also very rich. Josh doesn't do relationships and is more into quick unattached affairs that he controls. We learn that something from his Navy Seal days has changed him and it had also had the gi
♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ the Romance Bibiliophile ♡

Yeah I know … rules should never be broken but … sometimes .. I made it a rule to never read the opening chapters of new books at the end of a just finished one. I only read the Blurbs to see if the content piques my interest.

Because I know myself – I know that I get grumpy because those opening flycatcher chapters end right in the middle of something and leave you waiting for the book– well THANK YOU Anna del Mar… NOW I am grumpy … because I did not even finish my review for “At The Brink” and
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Paige's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

I thought At the Brink was cross between Fifty Shades, This Man Series and Indecent Proposal. The author does a good job keeping the reader interested in Josh and Lily.

Josh is demanding, controlling, a successful business man and a Navy SEAL. He knows what he wants and who he wants. He has a scarred past and has built up walls to keep his past hidden. Even after all this couple has been through, Josh still keeps his past a secret from Lily.
Saunders
Bit on the fence with this one. At times it was really good but at times the plot was a bit eye rolling.

It was different from the usual "Dominant" male and the usual BDSM stuff that goes with that domination. He loved his kink but didn't resort to the usual "sub" "little one" language which I really liked.

The plot was one we all know but what I liked about the MC was that he did show his softer side.

Straight onto book 2.
Donna Repsher
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review and if I could give it more than a 5-star rating I would.

Lily Boswell is married to Martin Poe, a dreadful little man who forces Lily to attend a gala fundraiser for wounded warriors with him. She dreads such events and they cause her to suffer panic attacks, but Martin doesn't care--he has a plan in place, and a loathesome plan it is. He plans to barter with Josh Lane, billionaire business magnate, whose financial support he despe
Steph
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hey ladies, this is one book boyfriend you'll wanna get your hands on STAT!

Lily Boswell can't believe her loser husband offered her up to billionaire Josh Lane for an influx of money into his failing company. Except that she can, she totally can believe it. It's a good thing then that Josh is WAY easy on the eyes and makes her heart stutter in her chest when he touches her.

Josh doesn't have to pay women to be in his bed, but he'd give his fortune away for one night with Lily. Fortunately that d
Claudine Van
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!!
Jen
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think I would have 'loved' the book had it not been so incredibly long. It's so long that you lose interest after a while. I was listening to the audiobook (14+ hours long), so that meant that I kind of zoned out in some parts, but not enough to miss what was going on. Overall, it was a great book with an even better ending, as long as you can make it through some of the mundane middle parts.

Lily is married to a POS man who is pretty much blackmailing her into staying married and is now, enter
Miss Maureen
Ugh! This book is so hard to enjoy. The mc's are lacking any personality. It seems the author is trying so hard to write erotica, that the story is just stagnant. And her erotica? It's like they're going through the motions, with no emotion. Boring. 4 days later and I'm still trying to finish this long, unemotional, uneventful, novel with the flat characters. The juvenile writing is making it hard.
Mary
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I loved this book. Had a good story and character development. Want to read more of the other characters stories.
Jessica
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 Breathless-Stars! ☆☆☆☆☆
Have you ever read a book extra slow, just to savor every word of a beautiful story. This was one of those books for me. My heart raced, broke and melted chapter after chapter. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn't look away.

Josh Lane was perfect. Simply put, because not only is he hot, he owns his own company, he can fly a plane, drive a boat, and he even built a house with his own hands! A freakin house?!?!! ...wow.
I can't beat a nail into a piece of wood with
Llaph
The first word that I think of when I think about this book is: Wowzers!
Lily’s habit of assigning colors to people and her environment was something I understand pretty well because I used to do it a lot too. Her husband was a douche bag of the highest order. I can empathize with her about getting stuck in a relationship that you hate. She is a strong person and as the book progresses grows even more so. Things may’ve started as a business deal of sorts but it so doesn’t end that way. With Josh’
CJLuvsBooks!
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have stated in previous book reviews that I love “arrangement” romances, I literally cannot get enough of them. So could I miss out on reading Anna Del Mar’s “At the Brink”? Absolutely not. Did I enjoy reading it? Yes, I did! The book was well-written, the plot was well paced and plausible, and I loved all of the characters!

I adore Josh. I don’t care that he’s a bit OCD, I don’t care that he’s demanding and controlling, I don’t care, I don’t care, I DON’T CARE! I love this man’s character. He
Robbie
Ayekah
What kind of man sells his wife to another man? The question Josh asks himself rhetorically and we see the story unfold between he and Lily, the woman he agreed to acquire (I'm going to use that word)
in exchange for giving her piece of dirt, half way out the door husband to finance his latest project.
Admittedly the first third dragged a little for me, just due to the dialogue between Josh and Lily. Lily was clueless truly as to what her husband had done and despite a "contract" I still don't thi
Maria11
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a gripping powerful story! It starts out very scandalous and and some parts outrageous but turns into a heart wrenching romance with a back story that explains it all.

Lily starts out as a scared little rabbit that is so unsure of herself. She suffers from panic attacks but then has the guts to stand up for herself. She definitely knows how to scarfice to get what she wants freedom and security. Lily grows into a beautiful strong woman as the story goes on and fights for what she wants, I di
Gwyn Plummer
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This risqué romp is more than worth the time it took to create, edit, and publish! I was so intrigued, I thought I’d become a sexy spy. I absolutely LOVE Josh and all his hang-ups, demands, and naughtiness; and for the record – I have absolutely no shame!

When I thought the sex scenes couldn’t burn any hotter, the flames would spike; and the best part? The plot, the characters, the action! Take your pick. I choose them all.

A former Navy SEAL, Josh is organized, demanding, and trustworthy. He live
The Suburban Eclectic
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: merdique
Indecent proposal meets Fifty Shades with a little Coming Home twist. I applaud that del Mar brings something different to the romance game with her heroes with a (damaged) heart, but this take lacked an emotional connection between its main characters. The premise and backstory were ridiculous as it was unbelievable. I lost interest about halfway through the first quarter with Lily's "will she or won't she,"act. del Mar does a lot of telling us how strong Lily is, but I found her one of the wea ...more
Natasha Green
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
The author does an outstanding job developing the story and reveals just enough to keep the story moving and the reader interested. Josh is a successful businessman and a former Navy Seal. Josh is the type of person who knows what he wants and how to get it. He has a hidden past that remains there for most of the story.
Lily is tied to her husband as a business arrangement. She has been trying to figure out a way to escape but has had no luck until Lilly agrees to a deal her husband has offered
Heather 123
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Anna del Mar!!!! This is the second book by this author that I have read and it did not disappoint!!!!

I was initially intrigued by this book because I wanted to know how a woman's husband could offer her to another man and what would lead that woman to agree to such an offer. The husband's reason was clear almost from the beginning as was part of the wife's reason although her true reason for marrying such a man did not come until much later in the book.

I enjoyed the de
Diana
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, ebooks
It's not entirely different from all other romance novels out there.
Male character: rich, powerful, dominate, broken, guarded with secrets, won't let himself love or be loved.
Enter female character who changes that last part: troubled, a bit broken herself, in need of rescuing, bit uptight, insecure (why would a guy like him want me?).
I could go on.

I don't know what led me to stick around, I'd make a joke and say it was the sex but I genuinely don't know, I just really wanted to know how it woul
Pam
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
I really enjoyed this. I loved Josh, a former Navy SEAL with the weight of the world and the death of two friends on his shoulders. I understood why he was so emotionally stunted and just wanted to hug and cuddle him...poor guy. And his father provided some of the best comic relief.

Now Lily I found a bit more challenging to like. I wanted to bitch slap her for putting up with the crap Martin put her through. It took a long time to find out why she put up with it. The backstory for both the main
Danielle Fisher
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Um...this was delicious. I love alpha men. I should say I love to "read" about alpha men, but would beat the ever living sh*t out of any man who tried to control me like these alpha men....I digress...but I do love to read about them. The problem with so many of these types of story is the submissive female. I can't stand those. I want to read about a strong woman who unleashes another side to herself.

At the Brink delivers that.

I love so much about the the lead characters. Although he doesn't g
Melissa Mitravich
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, erotica
This story is about a rich ex-military playboy and an overworked under-appreciated woman. Josh & Lily make a good combo. She is the grounder to his quirks and he definitely has a lot. He’s obsessive, over protective, paranoid- basically he’s a screwed up hottie. Lily is strung out, tightly coiled, & filled with hopelessness. The characters felt real and were relatable. It also has, for us adults, a lot of steam with a mix of BDSM. I enjoyed this book, very much. Editing was well done and ...more
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
WHOLLY SMOKES. . . forget all about Batman. . . forget the notion of Indecent Proposal (the movie). . . I could probably tell you to forget some other things but I forgot what they were. HOT, TANTALIZING, FORBIDDEN, DELECTABLE, ALLURING, APPEALING, MEANINGFUL, EROTIC.

There was so much here underneath the facades. Dual POV allowed for the true voice of both our main characters to carry with clarity and meaning. The true depths of their feelings, emotional vibes at each intersection, and hungry pa
Erica
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
At the Brink by Anna Del Mar was such an intriguing read. It's scorching, intense, and simply demands readers' attention. With a fairly unconventional plot, I was drawn into the dynamics of the story almost immediately. After the initial hook, the continued delve into a deeper storyline and a deeper relationship between Lily and Josh had me consistently coming back for more.

Lily has so many great qualities, and she loves her art. Josh is the soldier who is successful in life but still has his pa

• Last Week
  • High Octane
  • His Secret Temptation
  • Pet (Billionaire's Pet #1-3)
  • The Wicked West
  • Pulled Long (Long Shots, #3)
  • Lily Mine
  • This is What I Want
  • Let Me In
  • Sweet Jealousy: A BDSM Domination/Submission Romance (Episode #1)
  • What Money Can Buy (What Money Can Buy #1)
  • Under His Hand  (12 Shades of Surrender Series)
  • Lucas (The Hunter Brothers, #1)
  • His Every Command (An Heir For The Billionaire, #1)
  • Fractured Crystal: Sapphires and Submission (The Crystal Fragments Trilogy, #1)
  • Sweet Agony
  • Rough Surrender
  • Into His Keeping
Anna del Mar writes hot, smart romances that soothe the soul, challenge the mind, and satisfy the heart. Her stories focus on strong heroines struggling to find their place in the world and the brave, sexy, kickass, military heroes who defy the limits of their broken bodies to protect the women they love. She is the author of The Asset (Carina Press), the first novel of her Wounded Warrior series ...more

At the Brink (3 books)
  • To the Edge (At the Brink #2)
  • Beyond the Rules (At the Brink #3)